Bond 25

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

You seem nice.

Chris Nolan is wholly unsuited for Bond in myriad ways. And the first Batman with Micheal Keaton hasn't been matched.

Actually, I am pretty nice until some calls me "Dildo Head"

I don't get the pushback on Nolan.  Yes, his films are pretty "serious,"  but all of the Daniel Craig films have been more "serious" than the prior films.  I actually think he'd do a great job with, as has been suggested here and elsewhere, going back to a 60s storyline for the next arc

4 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Actually, I am pretty nice until some calls me "Dildo Head"

I don't get the pushback on Nolan.  Yes, his films are pretty "serious,"  but all of the Daniel Craig films have been more "serious" than the prior films.  I actually think he'd do a great job with, as has been suggested here and elsewhere, going back to a 60s storyline for the next arc

I don't think Nolan is any more or less serious than any of the recent Bond directors as you've noted. I do think he veers to much in art house for Bond. It works with a comic book character like Batman, but not the British upper class aesthetic like Bond. Apply a gritty realism to Bond has been awesome, but I think Nolan isn't capable of culturally understanding Bond. I say bring back Campbell and call it a day.

Plus there's a chance that you could end up with a piece of shit like Interstellar which is basically a Matrix for this decade (ie. a dumb movie for dumb people to pretend is deep so they feel intellectual).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, G650 said:

Plus there's a chance that you could end up with a piece of shit like Interstellar which is basically a Matrix for this decade (ie. a dumb movie for dumb people to pretend is deep so they feel intellectual).

Not to derail, but the amount of time the scientific community and in particular Kip Thorne spent on the story of interstellar the closest to fact in regards to movies around space, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, MoJames said:

Not to derail, but the amount of time the scientific community and in particular Kip Thorne spent on the story of interstellar the closest to fact in regards to movies around space, etc. 

Yeah, that's not really the point. It's the pseudo intellectualism that is the issue. I think breadth of scope and detail is probably Nolan's strong point.

56 minutes ago, G650 said:

I don't think Nolan is any more or less serious than any of the recent Bond directors as you've noted. I do think he veers to much in art house for Bond. It works with a comic book character like Batman, but not the British upper class aesthetic like Bond. Apply a gritty realism to Bond has been awesome, but I think Nolan isn't capable of culturally understanding Bond. I say bring back Campbell and call it a day.

Bond 25 working title :  "Wormhole"

On 5/31/2018 at 10:57 PM, crackamacgowski said:

Glad to run into another OHMSS fan in the wild. It figures that you would have the same avatar as me. Lazenby and the movie are both underrated.

Very true. I’m a Lazenby fan. I wished he would have done at least 2 more. Granted his acting needed work but he looked the part and I think he would have grown into the role like Connery did. He was a good choice. Moore made the role a cartoon. 

• 4 weeks later...

Regardless of quality, it won't be ugly.  Fukunaga has a hella good palette and eye for atmospherics.  He's also reputed to be difficult to work with.

I can't imagine the physical torture Craig is going to have to go through to get ready for this movie now that he's over 50. He mentioned on SPECTRE he basically had to live like a monk to get through it.

Edited by Bateshorn

15 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Regardless of quality, it won't be ugly.  Fukunaga has a hella good palette and eye for atmospherics. 

And really this is the most important thing. Aesthetics are the only thing that really matters, and why Skyfall was such an insanely good Bond. Even Spectre was fairly watchable because it looked so good, even though the writing was crap.

On 8/23/2018 at 6:55 PM, Brandywine said:

Very true. I’m a Lazenby fan. I wished he would have done at least 2 more. Granted his acting needed work but he looked the part and I think he would have grown into the role like Connery did. He was a good choice. Moore made the role a cartoon. 

The kilt ruined it for a lot of people back then. Bond in a kilt ?  It just isn't done... on film at least.

It's funny how I loved Moore, then hated him, and now I enjoy the camp again. When I was a kid, I loved the over the top action and yukes of the Moore year's. 

In my 20's I found it intolerably bad.  But I rewatched to live and let die the other day and was smiling the whole way through.  It's just fun.

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It's funny how I loved Moore, then hated him, and now I enjoy the camp again. When I was a kid, I loved the over the top action and yukes of the Moore year's. 

In my 20's I found it intolerably bad.  But I rewatched to live and let die the other day and was smiling the whole way through.  It's just fun.

Yeah he was my childhood Bond.  Liked him then (but still remembering, and liking Connery more even then).  I grew to not like those Bond flicks as much, I still can't watch Moonraker.

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Totally.

Edit: And I randomly watched Live and Let Die last weekend too. Was my favorite Bond when I was young. Not favorite now, but that was a good fucking movie.

Edited by G650

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/23/2018 at 1:45 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Should I just give up if I can't even understand Interstellar?

Absolutely not. Im not embarrassed to admit that I too struggled with some of the theoretical portions of the film. Concepts surrounding Quantum Physics and String theory are impossible for the majority of us on this planet to even begin to understand in their raw form.

Cinema allows, at least to a degree. An opportunity for us regular people to see the significance of what the math really implies. And is a great vehicle to better understanding the world in which we live. I compare it to learning a second language. Once you do, you will view everything around you in a different light. People like me just need a little help grasping the concepts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Tom Hardy seems too short to play Bond, although i guess in looking he is 5'9'' and Craig is 5'10'' (Connery is 6'2'', Brosnan 6'1'', Moore 6'1'' and Dalton 6'2'')

I like him but his mouth full of marbles routine would be unbearable. It was incredibly distracting in venom. 

Spit that shit out Tom. 

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I like him but his mouth full of marbles routine would be unbearable. It was incredibly distracting in venom. 

Spit that shit out Tom. 

Yep.  Huge Hardy fan but his voice and accent makes him sometimes intelligible.  Maybe if he cleaned it up a little but you can't watch half his shit like Taboo or Legend or The Revenant without subtitles.

Yep.  Huge Hardy fan but his voice and accent makes him sometimes intelligible.  Maybe if he cleaned it up a little but you can't watch half his shit like Taboo or Legend or The Revenant without subtitles.

It wouldn’t take much for him to tweak his Inception character for JB. The final act of that movie was like a Bond film already. And you could understand him just fine.

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It wouldn’t take much for him to tweak his Inception character for JB. The final act of that movie was like a Bond film already. And you could understand him just fine.

Yeah this was the first movie that I thought of when the mumbling complaints popped up. The mumbling thing isn't his normal way of speaking.

• 3 weeks later...