1 in 5 migrant children recently placed by HHS into “foster care or whatever” are missing!

Pods

What the fuck is wrong with this country? To paraphrase John Edwards, "This isn't my America".

We have a legit immigration problem. Acting like a bunch of fucking barbarians is not how we solve it. The government has an obligation to make sure the children are safe. This is unconscionable. 

https://t.co/Qb6CGQEKnM

Edited by Pods

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Those children arrived at the border alone.  It doesn't make it any better to lose track of them, but we didn't "take them from their parents".

Those kids did--the article's about kids taken last year.  It's only recently, though, that the US government started a policy of taking kids from their parents.  So, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the kids now being separated from their parents are being put in that same system in which we've been somehow "misplacing" 20% of them.

I don't see how anyone could think that ICE is bad. It is an American institution like the FBI or the Marshals. It's definitely not a reactionary organization formed after 9/11 that serves no legitimate purpose as an independent agency and it definitely shouldn't be abolished. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Those kids did--the article's about kids taken last year.  It's only recently, though, that the US government started a policy of taking kids from their parents.  So, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the kids now being separated from their parents are being put in that same system in which we've been somehow "misplacing" 20% of them.

Understood and agreed.  In theory, HHS is putting measures in place to help track every kid better, but they're already late and with this administration, I would not expect much positive effort.

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Donald Trump is the president of the United States. He is the leader of our country.

That's what is wrong.

Treating migrants like subhuman scum is actually a pretty bipartisan issue.

Unaccompanied minors who crossed the U.S.-Mexico border during a historic wave of migration earlier this decade were repeatedly beaten, sexually abused, and deprived of food and medical care by federal border agents, according to an American Civil Liberties Union report released Wednesday.

About 30,000 pages of documents obtained by the ACLU through an open-records lawsuit depict a gantlet of alleged mistreatment for the tens of thousands of children who arrived mainly from Central America between 2009 and 2014, during the Obama administration. Many were seeking asylum in the United States after fleeing death threats and violence in their homelands.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents allegedly used stun guns on the minors for amusement or punishment, kicked them and threatened to either rape or kill them. The ACLU report — which is based on emails, complaint forms and investigative reports — says agents routinely kept minors in detention cells with frigid temperatures, forcing them to sleep on concrete floors.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/aclu-immigrant-minors-routinely-mistreated-in-custody-during-obama-years/2018/05/23/b7cb31a8-5e00-11e8-a4a4-c070ef53f315_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.351f8389a045

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Those children arrived at the border alone.  It doesn't make it any better to lose track of them, but we didn't "take them from their parents".

Edited. I was mixing it with the recent reports of ICE separating parents from minor children and placing those children in foster care. This needs to get fixed ASAP before it happens to those kids as well. 

I’m fairly certain this problem predates trump by several years. It came to light when several children were sent to live with their “uncle” and were basically trafficked for child labor at an egg farm in Ohio I believe in 2014.  One got loose and called a relative who alerted the authorities. That led to hhs looking into unaccompanied minor immigrants and their foster families and they realized they don’t know where many of these children are

I heard about it on NPR when they were talking about a frontline episode. I read the summary but never watched the episode 

https://www.pbs.org/video/trafficked-in-america-pppgmt/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don't see how anyone could think that ICE is bad. It is an American institution like the FBI or the Marshals. It's definitely not a reactionary organization formed after 9/11 that serves no legitimate purpose as an independent agency and it definitely shouldn't be abolished. 

I have no love for federal agencies, but ICE is just a renaming/consolidation of INS and USCS, both of which are longstanding federal law enforcement agencies as equally worthy of scorn as the FBI and the Marshals.  And neither the predecessors nor ICE was founded by and run for a half century by a cross-dressing paranoid.

54 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m fairly certain this problem predates trump by several years. It came to light when several children were sent to live with their “uncle” and were basically trafficked for child labor at an egg farm in Ohio I believe in 2014.  One got loose and called a relative who alerted the authorities. That led to hhs looking into unaccompanied minor immigrants and their foster families and they realized they don’t know where many of these children are

I heard about it on NPR when they were talking about a frontline episode. I read the summary but never watched the episode 

https://www.pbs.org/video/trafficked-in-america-pppgmt/

You're right Sawbonz. The problem predates Trump and the documented cases of human trafficking occurred when Obama was President. I hope Sessions is all up in this and some people spend some time in jail. 

We're now separating kids from their parents at the border, which is going to put even more kids into this system. Have we fixed this problem?

Edited by Pods
Was distracted and wrote Anastastis instead of Sawbonz.

26 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Not sure why you are addressing anastasis but obviously the problem is not fixed as there are ongoing hearings

Me either, distracted by goings on in the house. 

I’m about halfway through the frontline episode. It is heartbreaking. We really need a guest worker program. They talk about one piece of shit egg “farmer” named decosta and he has been doing shit like this going back to the mid 90s. His sites were the source of the big salmonella outbreak a few years back in addition to the inhuman working conditions. Pays some fines and blame it on “contractors” doing all the illegal hiring. Eventually got enough bad press he leased everything to other outfits who keep doing the same shit

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m about halfway through the frontline episode. It is heartbreaking. We really need a guest worker program. They talk about one piece of shit egg “farmer” named decosta and he has been doing shit like this going back to the mid 90s. His sites were the source of the big salmonella outbreak a few years back in addition to the inhuman working conditions. Pays some fines and blame it on “contractors” doing all the illegal hiring. Eventually got enough bad press he leased everything to other outfits who keep doing the same shit

Completely agree. We need a guest worker program and serious jail time for employers that violate employment laws and human rights of workers. 

• Like 1

All emotion and outrage and no solution. Should we embed GPS trackers in these kids' skulls or what? Is it really surprising that the government can't keep track of people that are facing possible deportation? Hmmmmm I wonder why such people would want to disappear off the government's radar...

2 hours ago, Lucid said:

All emotion and outrage and no solution. Should we embed GPS trackers in these kids' skulls or what? Is it really surprising that the government can't keep track of people that are facing possible deportation? Hmmmmm I wonder why such people would want to disappear off the government's radar...

Before expressing emotion and outrage are we first required to settle on a solution?  Doesn't forcibly separating then losing 1500 kids who were in our care warrant discussion?  Throwing our hands up in the air because it's hard and makes us feel bad shouldn't be an option.  They became my/your/our responsibility when our representatives made the affirmative decision to separate kids from parents.  It's not a humane practice even if they are brown and post-utero. 

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Before expressing emotion and outrage are we first required to settle on a solution?  Doesn't forcibly separating then losing 1500 kids who were in our care warrant discussion?  Throwing our hands up in the air because it's hard and makes us feel bad shouldn't be an option.  They became my/your/our responsibility when our representatives made the affirmative decision to separate kids from parents.  It's not a humane practice even if they are brown and post-utero. 

They never should have been our care in the 1st place.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zork said:

but relevant:

etc, etc

So you were trolling, which is what I figured, but didn't want to directly accuse you of.

You knew it was an old pic when you posted it, but you posted it without the date to try to troll someone into commenting. 

So you were trolling, which is what I figured, but didn't want to directly accuse you of.
You knew it was an old pic when you posted it, but you posted it without the date to try to troll someone into commenting. 
But at least we knew where the kids were.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Pods said:

You caught me.  It was funny, in a sad way.(overreaction then silence was funny, kids in cages back in 2014 is/was sad)

2 hours ago, zork said:

You caught me.  It was funny, in a sad way.(overreaction then silence was funny, kids in cages back in 2014 is/was sad)

The whole thing is sad. The fact that you find any part of this overreaction or funny is sad. The fact that you're looking for gotcha moments and are not concerned that we are separating even more kids and putting them into a clearly flawed system is very sad. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The saddest thing is drawing attention to this issue plays into the goals of anti-immigrant agenda.  

No one will want to come here now exactly like they wanted.

You mean the people coming here illegally of course.  Lots of people wanna come here legally.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You mean the people coming here illegally of course.  Lots of people wanna come here legally.

Do you understand what motivated these people to come here.  

I have learned that you've almoset earned your Political Science degree by watching Fox News, so here's your final exam:  Write two sentences about the MS St. Louis.  

14 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Do you understand what motivated these people to come here.  

I have learned that you've almoset earned your Political Science degree by watching Fox News, so here's your final exam:  Write two sentences about the MS St. Louis.  

You're learned nothing. You've gotten nothing about me correct that you've posted so your batting average is 1000.

5 failure is I tact.What motivates them doesn't mitigate the fact they're trying to illegally enter the country.  Law and order except for the issues you care about I guess.  And yes, kids disappearing is about as bad as it gets, and takin g them fro their parents isn't the right answer either (IMO) and I don't like the policy.  

We've made it enticing to folks to come here with the notion that it's OK to break our laws and enter without proper procedure.  It's not.