Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

Russian battalion wiped out in failed river crossing - UK

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61404062

Summary

A Russian battalion lost almost all of its armoured vehicles in a failed attempt to cross a river near Severodonetsk in eastern Ukraine, the UK says

Images from the scene show dozens of burnt-out tanks after Ukrainian forces shelled pontoon bridges across the Siversky Donets in Luhansk region

The UK's Ministry of Defence says the incident reveals the pressure Russian commanders are under to make progress in the Luhansk region

It isn't clear how many soldiers were killed in the battle, but Moscow's forces appear to be making gains elsewhere in the area

UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss says Vladimir Putin is "humiliating himself on the world stage" and calls for tougher sanctions on Moscow

Speaking at a G7 meeting, she says sanctions should not be eased until all Russian troops have left Ukraine

Meanwhile, a Russian soldier is due to stand trial today for killing an unarmed Ukrainian civilian - the first alleged war crime case since the war began

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Russian battalion wiped out in failed river crossing - UK

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61404062

Summary

A Russian battalion lost almost all of its armoured vehicles in a failed attempt to cross a river near Severodonetsk in eastern Ukraine, the UK says

Images from the scene show dozens of burnt-out tanks after Ukrainian forces shelled pontoon bridges across the Siversky Donets in Luhansk region

The UK's Ministry of Defence says the incident reveals the pressure Russian commanders are under to make progress in the Luhansk region

It isn't clear how many soldiers were killed in the battle, but Moscow's forces appear to be making gains elsewhere in the area

UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss says Vladimir Putin is "humiliating himself on the world stage" and calls for tougher sanctions on Moscow

Speaking at a G7 meeting, she says sanctions should not be eased until all Russian troops have left Ukraine

Meanwhile, a Russian soldier is due to stand trial today for killing an unarmed Ukrainian civilian - the first alleged war crime case since the war began

They think the Russians may have lost 1000 troops in this failed river crossing?  Woah.

40 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

They think the Russians may have lost 1000 troops in this failed river crossing?  Woah.

There was twitter thread BY the combat engineer who scouted an called in the strikes on the column

Worth a read, but the TLDR is that the russians could probably be beaten by the fucking aggy corps of cadets. Really terrible planning, leadership, and crisis response that enables the Ukrainian defenders to immobilize and pulverize orcs

Edit: and the number I've been seeing is 1500 KIA ivans

Edited by Captainant

37 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What they said on BBC this morning was that the Russians were trying to make a sneak attack by crossing the river in order to encircle the city of Severodonetsk, but the Ukrainians “got wind of it.” Hmmm, I wonder who might have helped them with that intelligence. And the weaponry to blow them all to hell.  :)

25 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

News to me

I wonder how many regular Americans think we’re at war? Or that we should be?

I mean, there was a literal attack on that very legislative body a year and a half ago by the republican party. And there has been didly fuck all done about it

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

News to me

I wonder how many regular Americans think we’re at war? Or that we should be?

There is a cyber war going on right now, the amount of US infrastructure being targeted by Russian and Chinese hackers is incredible. They are targeting everyone they can in the energy, finance and utilities sectors right now. They want entryways into anything they can get, and then sit on it until they get a call to pull the triggers. 

The amount of damage they could do if they get into the right facilities is immense. You think supply lines and gas prices are bad now, wait until they lockdown a refinery or a pipeline for a few weeks. It's not going to be pretty if they succeed, and it will certainly change the landscape for Americans and Europeans.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

There is a cyber war going on right now, the amount of US infrastructure being targeted by Russian and Chinese hackers is incredible. They are targeting everyone they can in the energy, finance and utilities sectors right now. They want entryways into anything they can get, and then sit on it until they get a call to pull the triggers. 

The amount of damage they could do if they get into the right facilities is immense. You think supply lines and gas prices are bad now, wait until they lockdown a refinery or a pipeline for a few weeks. It's not going to be pretty if they succeed, and it will certainly change the landscape for Americans and Europeans.

Don't forget the War on Christmas. After the Ukraine war send those NATO weapons to the North Pole and finish Santa once and for all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Imagine if they shut down the water production facilities for Houston, Galveston, or the Beaumont area.  It would affect not just domestic water safety, but the ability of the refineries and other industrial plants to produce.  Supply chain issues plus massive disease outbreaks?  Fuck that shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Captainant said:

There was twitter thread BY the combat engineer who scouted an called in the strikes on the column

not enough.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Captainant said:

Worth a read, but the TLDR is that the russians could probably be beaten by the fucking aggy corps of cadets. Really terrible planning, leadership, and crisis response that enables the Ukrainian defenders to immobilize and pulverize orcs

The more I read about it the more unbelievable it seems. Three failed attempts at crossing the river at the same place and they were thinking of trying a fourth? 

The more I read about it the more unbelievable it seems. Three failed attempts at crossing the river at the same place and they were thinking of trying a fourth? 

Wait….Greg Davis is a Russian general? This all makes so much more sense now.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Wait until you catch up on the goings on at Kherson airport and Snake Island. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

7e390dd5-cd19-4ab0-b25f-37c4f3fafcac_text.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Truth. I had lunch with the head of cybersecurity for one such facility recently and he confirmed. And 3 letter agencies are monitoring his dashboards as well. And teams of white hats are using the attempts to further the technologies.

Airgap everything.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have commented on this before— the Kremlin has a different understanding of war than we do and deliberately uses this ambiguity to their advantage. They absolutely believe they are at war with the U.S. and West. Their choice of weapons and tactics is simply a choice that they’ve made because of the constraints we have put in place against their use of kinetic aggression. I don’t like the term “hybrid warfare” because of the implicit understanding that it’s somehow something lesser than just “warfare.” 

If I was creative enough to think of a catchy alternative I wold be writing for security journals and getting 90 second spots on CNN instead of writing for you assholes. 

I, for one, welcome your inability to turn a catchy phrase.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I don’t like the term “hybrid warfare” because of the implicit understanding that it’s somehow something lesser than just “warfare.” 

If I was creative enough to think of a catchy alternative I wold be writing for security journals and getting 90 second spots on CNN instead of writing for you assholes. 

Proto warfare.  Not sure what it means, but it sounds better than hybrid, and more meta.

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I have commented on this before— the Kremlin has a different understanding of war than we do and deliberately uses this ambiguity to their advantage. They absolutely believe they are at war with the U.S. and West. Their choice of weapons and tactics is simply a choice that they’ve made because of the constraints we have put in place against their use of kinetic aggression. I don’t like the term “hybrid warfare” because of the implicit understanding that it’s somehow something lesser than just “warfare.” 

I’ve heard James Stavridis use terms borrowed from the business world to describe the difference by saying the Russians have a horizontal approach to warfare while the West’s is vertical. 

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait….Greg Davis is a Russian general? This all makes so much more sense now.

Everyone knows you have to take what the river gives you. The best way to cross the river is to go sideways down the bank until you reach the headwaters. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

My understanding is their junior officers aren’t allowed to improvise/change tactics to achieve the goal of the mission. I’m presuming the mission said where to cross and the officers had to carry it out

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

My understanding is their junior officers aren’t allowed to improvise/change tactics to achieve the goal of the mission. I’m presuming the mission said where to cross and the officers had to carry it out

well Siberia sucks all times of the year. 

The Buffalo shooter had a sonnenrad on his manifesto which is also used in the Azov logo. Old NYT article points out how the NZ Mosque shooter & other violent extremists (including several men who attended the Unite The Right Rally in Charlottesville)  specifically traveled to Ukraine to train with paramilitaries like Azov. 

• Fuck You 7

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Just make up a German word like Geschichtet Krieg. Explain the meaning for a couple of minutes on CNN. A couple days later Anderson Cooper will say "the Russians are fighting this Geschichtet Krieg..." Profit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Caponata said:

The Buffalo shooter had a sonnenrad on his manifesto which is also used in the Azov logo. Old NYT article points out how the NZ Mosque shooter & other violent extremists (including several men who attended the Unite The Right Rally in Charlottesville)  specifically traveled to Ukraine to train with paramilitaries like Azov. 

Stop trying to defend Putin, Boris. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Caponata said:

Holy shit you cracked the case! White supremacy in the US is all a plot by Ukraine to undermine our society!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Caponata said:

Every country has paramilitary nutjobs, and newsflash, they're all far right wingers.

That doesn't make it okay to bomb their women and children and shoot their old men in the back.

But you knew that.  Right?

45 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Every country has paramilitary nutjobs, and newsflash, they're all far right wingers.

That doesn't make it okay to bomb their women and children and shoot their old men in the back.

But you knew that.  Right?

Shining Path would have a word, but of course the first part of your first sentence is absolutely correct and Caponata is potato.  

Didn’t see it noted previously but Russian Army has been using flechettes in civilian areas.   Seriously, fuck them.  

“Lethal Russian flechette projectiles hit homes in Ukrainian town of Irpin. 'They are everywhere,' say residents”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/15/europe/russian-flechettes-ukraine-irpin-intl-cmd/index.html

23 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Shining Path would have a word, but of course the first part of your first sentence is absolutely correct and Caponata is potato.  

Didn’t see it noted previously but Russian Army has been using flechettes in civilian areas.   Seriously, fuck them.  

“Lethal Russian flechette projectiles hit homes in Ukrainian town of Irpin. 'They are everywhere,' say residents”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/15/europe/russian-flechettes-ukraine-irpin-intl-cmd/index.html

I think you meant Asian Dawn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Holy shit you cracked the case! White supremacy in the US is all a plot by Ukraine to undermine our society!!!

Michael Tracy is a known shit bird. He’s like a low-rent Glen Greenwald with none of the talent or interesting drama.  And yeah, “American racist kills ten Black people because of Ukraine” is a….take.

Here is Tracy getting upset they corporations make it easy to send humanitarian aid to Ukrainians. He really is just a Putin troll. Most of them hide behind “I oppose the war but….” Tracy is full on “fuck Ukrainian people and fuck you for helping.” 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, SOMEONE has gotten all fancy, what with subscribing to Time magazine and all. Macanudo is now a well-read man, gents.

Uh, I watch 60 Minutes, I say to myself, these guys are professional, they're motivated, they're happening, i.e., they want something, huh? Now, personally, I couldn't care less about your politics. Maybe you're pissed off at the camel jockies,  maybe it's the Hebes, Northern Ireland...it's none of my business!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1