Running Thread of Help Ukrainians and Also Fuck Up Russia

956 Worldwide

I am personally familiar with this Czech organization that is helping to purchase body armor, helmets, surveillance drones, and night vision equipment if a Congress letter isn’t enough for your surliness.  They are not financing weapons. 

https://www.darujme.cz/projekt/1205934?locale=en&fbclid=IwAR2_RI9dP8vFn444fECozohunb66AdhUYtmNu8E4Tj2thr5ywunwfiONdjw

Check for local businesses that might be helping out.

In San Antonio, there's a Ukrainian-owned cheesecake/dessert place that is donating to the cause.  But even if they weren't, you could patronize them and show support.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/restaurants/article/ukraine-san-antonio-laika-cheesecake-16946978.php

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaYe4pps33V/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=3c01c814-96a7-44f6-bfde-d3eb2fd45156

http://laikacheesecakes.com/

San Antonians looking for a way to help Ukraine amid the Russian invasion can do so by buying a dessert from a local business. Laika Cheesecake and Espresso is donating the entirety of its weekend profits to supporting the Ukrainian army. 

Anna Afanasieva, who is originally from Ukraine, opened the 4718 Broadway business with Viktor Krizma in late 2020. Laika serves multiple creamy cheesecakes with a variety of toppings. The desserts can be ordered by the slice or in takeaway, reusable jars. 

On Thursday, February 24, as the world reacted to the attack on Ukraine by Russia, Laika offered a way for locals to help. An Instagram post addressing the "devastating" violence against sovereign nation called on the city to "stand with Ukraine."

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I cannot vouch for all the charities listed at the site but the host, Ukraine crisis media center, is legit. Proceed at your own comfort level in buying stuff for the army. 

https://uacrisis.org/en/help-ukraine

Posted to my Facebook page. Easily the first useful thing I've ever done with it.

I am single (don't have to ask a Karen), have two empty bedrooms and happy to host a family. I did this for Salvadorans, Bosnians and Afghans. Happy to do this for Ukrainians. Only thing is they must like my dog and tolerate me sitting up late at night talking shit on a website. 

And if no families are in need I am happy to bring in two au pairs. 

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 8:30 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

I cannot vouch for all the charities listed at the site but the host, Ukraine crisis media center, is legit. Proceed at your own comfort level in buying stuff for the army. 

https://uacrisis.org/en/help-ukraine

just kicked this link over to about 100 retired SF personnel. Dudes in their 60's, 70's and 80's are chomping on the bit. They always wanted to fuck up Russia. So I challenged them to do it with their retirement pay. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of folks are renting Airbnb’s owned by themselves individual Ukrainians (not big real estate corps) in Kiev and other cities.

They obviously aren’t going to stay there but it gets money to local people directly and Airbnb is waiving their service fees.

Most places are $10-15 per night.

Lots of folks are renting Airbnb’s owned by themselves individual Ukrainians (not big real estate corps) in Kiev and other cities.

They obviously aren’t going to stay there but it gets money to local people directly and Airbnb is waiving their service fees.

Most places are $10-15 per night.

That’s brilliant

This is a good one... donate to  World Kitchens (under auspices of TripAdvisor) for hot meals for refugees and they'll match it.

https://donate.wck.org/give/394390?m=65460&eatoken=3%3AuMIu94klX4ydCXuhABQCKcV0kIsWTySO7eDdMCE0EBvXyPXjcpUcqC67Q35xEyKkz24uCO9U59H9H4jLhgAXSJSq1uCAJd_nOJCZoYbwsm2iYw&nid=VR.eb86719e-9af1-3134-969f-234aae95afeb.TA_EMAIL_TRV#!/donation/checkout

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Came to post this. Saw Jose Andres last night on TV and he's there in Ukraine preparing meals. Very passionate.
  • Like 1

Support the USGLC if you can.  It's the strongest component of our diplomacy outside the Department of State.  

Also...is there a safe space on here to talk about bounties? 

Wife's co. (Apple something or other, maybe you've heard of it) is doing 2-for-1 matches for employees.  So we did UNICEF (a good charity for kids esp.) and a refugee org. that gives necessities at the Polish and Romanian borders.

We're open for using our empty nest to house some refugees, but (fortunately, I think) so many Euros are offering their places (not to mention AirBB) that most of the 3-4 million predicted can easily be absorbed into the continent, and within reasonable distance of returning if/when things get better; probably most won't need to go all the way over to us unless they have family or something.

Still, we got plenty of room, and no I'm not offering sanctuary to members of the Ukrainian Synchronized Swim team, Though it's a nice thought.

496e98a01236be73cacb26ea2c151315--rio-ol

• Hook 'Em 1

Any of you folks familiar with International Rescue Committee (https://www.rescue.org/) Some hippy knocked on my door earlier and I thought it was a contractor I was expecting, so I actually answered. Was fully prepared to blow him off, but had a 5 minute chat with the guy before I had a call starting and he was a good dude. Could speak intelligently about the organization and their charter and wasnt obnoxiously pushy about the donations piece when I explained how and when I donate money. But I checked out their website later  and it seems you could do worse than assisting this charity. They support more than Ukraine, so I guess a risk of donating is it just goes into a big pool of which a portion is earmarked for their Ukrainian relief efforts. Anybody know if they are generally viewed as a effective/efficient charitable vehicle?

Looking at their budget they are probably pretty well known and you might be wondering how I am not familiar with them, but charitable giving wasnt really a big thing for me until a few years ago, because I can be a stingy fuck. Trying to improve that, but most of my recent donations have been local to  Central TX (food bank , etc...) so I dont have a clue about these international orgs (other than I doubt I will be handing any money to the red cross)

Edited by Blotto

I don't know about IRC.  My wife and I gave to World Central Kitchen, which is on the ground helping right now, and I think Jose Andres is one of the greatest humans who ever lived, so there's that.

I'm also waiting as my son is starting to work on refugee issues in Berlin; I'm hoping that he can end up plugged into some organizations that we can then personally vouch for as doing real work on the scene right now, but he hasn't hooked up with anything formal yet - it's all ad hoc thus far (e.g., we sent him some money to reimburse him for the food he decided to prepare and take down the train station for hot meals for arriving refugees.....but he ain't exactly a 501(c)(3)).

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

Just purchased 10 lovely nights at an Air B&B in lovely Odesa, Ukraine.  I hear the beaches are beautiful this time of year.  My host Наталья seems like a real nice lady with a spare room.

I just did a drive by on Google Maps and saw this nice lady out front, so there is that going for it.  The front of her shirt says "What if" and I would like to imagine that the back says "you go fuck yourself".

Russia.JPG

Edited by BottleRocket
shirt

On 3/9/2022 at 4:47 PM, Brisketexan said:

I don't know about IRC.  My wife and I gave to World Central Kitchen, which is on the ground helping right now, and I think Jose Andres is one of the greatest humans who ever lived, so there's that.

I'm also waiting as my son is starting to work on refugee issues in Berlin; I'm hoping that he can end up plugged into some organizations that we can then personally vouch for as doing real work on the scene right now, but he hasn't hooked up with anything formal yet - it's all ad hoc thus far (e.g., we sent him some money to reimburse him for the food he decided to prepare and take down the train station for hot meals for arriving refugees.....but he ain't exactly a 501(c)(3)).

I did WCK too.  Link: https://wck.org/news/news-1-million-meals-served-with-chefsforukraine

Check your company for corp match.  I did and sent $100 from me and the match.