Words and phrases that bug the living shit out of you

Goo Punch

“Absolute gem.”

I don’t know why but I can’t fucking stand this phrase. Somebody finds a picture of themselves at 5 years old and feels the need to post it to the internet saying, “I just found this absolute gem.” This, and most other internet-spawned/related phrases drive me nuts. Come up with an original, not-over-the-top way to describe your boring-ass picture.

Anyway, rant over. For now.

PoC. screams of millennial bullshit, "oh no, a realistic and accurate description of quantity of non-whites vis a vis whites sounds negative, you can't say minorities anymore!!!1!!" fucking can it. so much actual racial bullshit out there every day and these numb nuts start on the inconsequential dross (but factual!) first. not to mention it is condescending as fuck to even think you should mention to anyone how they should describe anyone else "you shouldn't say minorities, it is PoC" like i'm some east asian pac-man rip off. morons. 

Guest Lobo

the word "like" peppered liberally throughout a sentence when not making a comparison or an affirmation of enjoyment.

For shits n' giggles at work next week, pick a random person you interact with regularly at the office.  Count how many times they use the word 'like' in 60 seconds.  It'll add up to 5-10 times.  That's a few seconds stolen from you every minute of conversation or listening to a presentation.  It adds up to a couple of minutes per day, every workday.  Nearly an hour a month.  Days of your life are being robbed from you because grown, educated  adults speak like 11-year old girls.  And it's not a regional thing either.  It's everywhere.

59 minutes ago, deadshank said:

24/7

I don't mind 24/7 as it correctly conveys the intended meaning.  I suppose it could be considered redundant, but "24" would be extra stupid.

What I do mind is 24/7/365, because that's mathematically wrong.  The correct forms would be:

24/7/52

24/365

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

When people type/write "CST" or "EST" after a time for a conference call or a meeting and we're very much into Daylight Saving Time.  If you are unsure about whether or not to use "(blank)DT" or "(blank)ST", just write PT, CT, ET or whatever.  

Skill set. First time I heard it was in the late 90s and some white dude wearing a high-collar Chinese jacket was bitching outside Trudy's while we were trying to get drunk. He'd been to a job interview. He said "skill set" about 87 fucking times. It was stupid then and it's stupid now. I'm not saying I hope they didn't hire his stupid skill set ass, because I don't want him wandering the streets homeless. I'm just saying I think his stupid ass was stupid.

When people type/write "CST" or "EST" after a time for a conference call or a meeting and we're very much into Daylight Saving Time.  If you are unsure about whether or not to use "(blank)DT" or "(blank)ST", just write PT, CT, ET or whatever.  
Fuck you

7 minutes ago, Loose Stool said:

How about when people start off the answer to a question with "To be honest with you..."

Well, fuck, yes I want you to be honest with me.  Why do you have to preface your answer with that ya dickhead?

Because they are going to lie to you.

“Step foot” is the closet to, if not the most ridiculous phrase anyone can type/write.

You don’t step with anything besides your feet so you are either totally ignorant or just trying to be wordy, which makes you totally ignorant. No one would say “clap hand” and dolts who “step foot” are simpletons.

1 hour ago, Austinvines said:

“Step foot” is the closet to, if not the most ridiculous phrase anyone can type/write.

You don’t step with anything besides your feet so you are either totally ignorant or just trying to be wordy, which makes you totally ignorant. No one would say “clap hand” and dolts who “step foot” are simpletons.

Wait.  Who uses "step foot" and what does it mean?  Maybe I have finally escaped corporate lingo-land?

• Like 1