Words and phrases that bug the living shit out of you

Goo Punch

Oh my god, I just came across what might be my least favorite young person’s word of all: “low key”. I just saw something where the comment said, “this is low key clever af.” 

“Low key” is how the current generation of kids says, “This is cool/neat/great whatever, but I can’t risk showing enthusiasm for something so this is “low key clever af.” 

Edit: actually, it’s the cool new young person’s way of saying, “I don’t wanna sound like a queer or nothing but...”

Edited by Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Same thing goes for area codes. Jesus that is irritating.

Exactly.  Oh, you are "representin'" a group of people whose phone numbers start with the same 3 numbers, an artificial designation concocted by the phone company decades ago?  Ok. And fuck Jim Rome. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The general tendency for sportscasters to latch onto a phrase and drive it into the ground is a special kind of annoying.  "Quarterback room" is the flavor of the day.  A few years ago it was "spin the ball".  Before that, "high point the ball".

All actually have meaning, but the overwhelming follow-the-leader approach to commentary makes me ragey.

I feel like using those phrases is their attempt to make football seem more cerebral. 

Always hated "making plays in space."

A place I worked we would have contests on who could slip the most buzzword laden statement into a meeting.  

For instance when I laid down "At the end of the day, it is what it is. We simply don't have the bandwidth to engage this opportunity on a go forward basis."  I scored well....

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Oh my god, I just came across what might be my least favorite young person’s word of all: “low key”. I just saw something where the comment said, “this is low key clever af.” 

“Low key” is how the current generation of kids says, “This is cool/neat/great whatever, but I can’t risk showing enthusiasm for something so this is “low key clever af.” 

Edit: avtually, it’s the cool new young person’s way of saying, “I don’t wanna sound like a queer nor nothing.”

...and don't forget high key.

26 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Exactly.  Oh, you are "representin'" a group of people whose phone numbers start with the same 3 numbers, an artificial designation concocted by the phone company decades ago?  Ok. And fuck Jim Rome. 

“619 IS THE SAN DIEGO AREA CODE, THAT’S HIS WAY OF SHOWING LOVE FOR THE FOLKS BACK HOME.”

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Fwiw, the assignment of area codes used a scheme when they were first rolled out to use the closer numbers together for the areas with more phones. So as to make it easier to dial. For instance, NYC started as 212. DC 202 Chicago 312 etc. 

3 hours ago, Dolemite said:

Fwiw, the assignment of area codes used a scheme when they were first rolled out to use the closer numbers together for the areas with more phones. So as to make it easier to dial. For instance, NYC started as 212. DC 202 Chicago 312 etc. 

202 is easier to dial...?

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The general tendency for sportscasters to latch onto a phrase and drive it into the ground is a special kind of annoying.  "Quarterback room" is the flavor of the day.  A few years ago it was "spin the ball".  Before that, "high point the ball".

All actually have meaning, but the overwhelming follow-the-leader approach to commentary makes me ragey.

"Run fits"

"Score the basketball"

Both make me irrationally angry.

18 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

A place I worked we would have contests on who could slip the most buzzword laden statement into a meeting.  

For instance when I laid down "At the end of the day, it is what it is. We simply don't have the bandwidth to engage this opportunity on a go forward basis."  I scored well....

You left out "paradigm" because you wanted the others to think they still had a chance.

On 5/26/2018 at 12:33 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

Physicality.

Totally overused by color commentators, and often used incorrectly.

On 5/26/2018 at 1:43 PM, AUinHsv said:

"patented" used in sports.  As in "he lead his patented 4th quarter comeback...."

On 5/26/2018 at 1:53 PM, millhouse said:

"Adversity" in the sports context

Guacamole being called "guac"

On 5/26/2018 at 3:48 PM, HouTex said:

In this league. Kubiak loved saying it.

In this space.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:20 PM, slorch said:

whoop.  Dumb as fuck EVERY.SINGLE.TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

elusiveness in sports.  It's agility, you dumbass.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:31 AM, Parliament said:

Everyting Kirk Herbstriet says.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:26 PM, jimmyjazz said:

On 5/28/2018 at 2:24 AM, PhillyD said:

"Run fits"

"Score the basketball"

Both make me irrationally angry.

This is why I now watch sports with the sound off.

And nobody has yet said "woke"?

I want to punch every motherfucker that drives a Ford "Ex-cape". The name is on the car, can't you read?

Also guys that refuse to use the make and model of their car, instead choosing to use the engine code that only they and their shitty ilk seem to know.  "Oh, I drive an E92." "I really love my w112". Fuck you. You drive a 328i, just admit it. You're not fucking special.

And when did "Merc" become the go to nickname for Mercedes Benz? It will always mean Mercury. GTFO with that shit.

• Like 2