2022 Albums

BigOrange1

does this thread exist?  i scanned the first two pages of this board and didn't see anything.

the spoon album is really the only thing i've gotten into so far this year, but band of horses has a new album coming out tomorrow that i am looking forward to.

what have i missed thus far?

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 7:00 AM, CooterBrown said:

Their first two albums are in my top 100. I’ve never been able to give any of their later stuff more than one or two listens. Hopefully this album changes my opinion. I don’t mind the first two tracks so far.

i think it's easily the best thing they've done since the first two albums.  might be my favorite album of the year thus far.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've really enjoyed the following so far

Hailey Whitters "Raised".  Good country with a little pop sensibility.  Iowa native based out of Nashville.  Best chronicling of growing up on the plains as a Millenial this side of Turnpike.

Ian Noe "River Fools & Mountain Saints".  Next Appalachian sensation.  Really expands his sound beyond the Childers mimicry heard out of many of these guys.  Some Highway 61/Blonde On Blonde Dylan to it.  Big Prine influence as well.

Paul Cauthen "Country Coming Down".  I don't know what to make of Paul Cauthen.  At times it seems completely tongue in cheek, but it isn't a straight up joke either.  This shit absolutely slams though.  Disco country or something.  Don't have a good descriptor, but I dig the hell out of it both ironically and unironically.

Wheeler Walker Jr. "Sex, Drugs, and Country Music".  If you're over the bit, move along.  If not, he's as good as ever.  Like usual, the songs/hooks are great and the band is shit hot, but I get why people are done with it.

Band of Heathens "Remote Transmissions Vol. 1".  Covers album, but these are nearly universally great covers.

Gregg Hall "Echoes from the Treetops".  Just damn solid straight ahead rock and roll from one of the better musicians in the Driftless Area (my little corner of the world).

• 2 weeks later...

It's here.

Early thoughts are that it's way better than their last one. But I knew that just from the first couple of singles. 

It's very piano driven which is nice and pretty minimalistic lyrically although the subject matter is current and existential. It reminds me sonically of Funeral and rhythmically of Reflektor a bit - overall it's certainly a call back to other parts of their career rather than trying to push anything in a new direction (outside of the Peter Gabriel collab which is... interesting).

Definitely going to require quite a few listens. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Frustrated and disappointed by the first listen but not at all about to give up.

That said, Unconditional 1 made me cry on first listen 

If one of the songs made you cry on first listen then yeah I'd maybe try the whole thing out more than a couple of times. 

That said I personally don't give a shit and my "care what other people think about music" gene is quickly going the way of the wind. 

Give it 3-4 listens. I think it's worth it. 

(I knew I should have just started a new thread... can never get a read with you assholes) 

Edited by ztejas

Also - End of The Empire I-III is the real gem here. It's going to get passed over as boring or derivative or (help me I can't digest music on my own) but it's one of the most enchanting, complicated things I've heard in a long time. 

Man, I love Everything Now, sort of surprised to see the extreme dislike for it. WE is on a different level, though. It’s hard to describe the connection I have to the album or that it has to me, but I just want to keep going back for more. And yeah, Unconditional I. Having a four month old makes that one hit so much harder than it would have a couple years ago.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:02 AM, ztejas said:

If one of the songs made you cry on first listen then yeah I'd maybe try the whole thing out more than a couple of times. 

That said I personally don't give a shit and my "care what other people think about music" gene is quickly going the way of the wind. 

Give it 3-4 listens. I think it's worth it. 

(I knew I should have just started a new thread... can never get a read with you assholes) 

Several listens deep and it's starting to work for me. Side two especially. Not sure why Unconditional II didn't click early on but now I can't stop grooving to it. 

Not sure I'll ever not cringe hearing Unsubscribe sung seriously, but beyond that, it's a worthy LP for their catalogue. Can't wait to see it live when they swing through in the fall.

(I also second you @ConferenceRoom -- EN has some bad songs but also hits some very high highs.)

OK I've listened to WE several times now.

I think it's pretty brilliant and I love it.  It's not on the same level as everything leading up to and including The Suburbs (which I consider an absolute masterpiece), but it's more memorable than Everything Now for sure.... I need to give it more time/listens to see how it holds up. I do remember really liking Reflektor at first also but I haven't listened to it much over the years.

But for now I'm really, really liking it.

This was released a few weeks ago.  I had not heard about it until now.  It is surprisingly good.  Features Billy Gibbons, Doyle Bramhall, Joe Walsh, Joe Bonamassa, and Taylor Hawkins, among others.  Deserves a listen:

On 5/11/2022 at 11:49 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

I do remember really liking Reflektor at first also but I haven't listened to it much over the years.

Reflektor is fucking awesome... I posted this stretch in the what are you listening to? thread recently. (3 tracks - first video is two together)

• Hook 'Em 1

New Kendrick is really amazing... you can really tell he's worked through some shit over the past few years.

The Black Keys also have a new album out. It's the Black Keys... if you like them (and I do), then you'll dig this. Much more "Let's Rock" than "Turn Blue"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, NOMAAA said:

New arctic monkeys. 

i read an article a few months back where matt helders said this

Imean, it’s never gonna be like [2012 ‘AM’ single] ‘R U Mine?’ and all that stuff again, you know, the heavy riffs and stuff. But there are riffs in there and [it’s] a bit more up-tempo, even though it’s not loud…

holy shit he wasn’t lying. i’m all for evolution but damn if i don’t really miss the more energetic and heavier am. 

The Vandoliers self-titled album is my favorite this year.  Just an excellent record top to bottom.  Hope to catch them live this winter.

Others I've dug...

Drive-By Truckers "Welcome to Club XIII"

Hailey Whitters "Raised"

American Aquarium "Chicamicomico"

Paul Cauthen "Country Coming Down"

Matt Moran "Heartache Kid"

Spoon "Lucifer On the Sofa"

Whiskey Myers "Tornillo"