Hulu - The Dropout

I didn’t know Holme’s father got canned at Enron. I need to research it,  but it’s the first time I’ve heard about it. 

Between this and The Gilded Age, Michel Gill is having a tough month. 

Seyfried nails the Holmes’ weirdness but the fake voice doesn’t sound anything like her. A very simple fix they didn’t get right. 

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It's pretty good but to the earlier post, it's just a TV version of the podcast, which is better.

Agreed on Seyfried's voice.  She doesn't nail it at all.

I have to disagree on the voice aspect. I find it very simular to the real version, besides the fact that it's probably extremely difficult for a woman to tune her voice down that low. If nothing else, Seyfried does a good job of matching the awkwardness of her voice. Overall the show is very good and well acted, and the story itself is fascinating. Talk about getting in over your head.

Edited by 4doorsMoreWhores
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

I have to disagree on the voice aspect. I find it very simular to the real version, besides the fact that it's probably extremely difficult for a woman to tune her voice down that low. If nothing else, Seyfried does a good job of matching the awkwardness of her voice. Overall the show is very good and well acted, and the story itself is fascinating. Talking about getting in over your head.

Yeah, I think I agree with this.  She achieves the weirdness without precisely imitating it.  Trying harder to imitate it might make it sound so fake that the effect is lost.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched about half the first episode. It seems like pretty pedestrian story-telling.  Seems like she wants to be a billionaire and can be very determined when it comes to finishing a race or learning Mandarin. Even the jumping from interrogation in the present to her backstory is pedestrian. 

I'll wait to see what more y'all have to say before re-engaging. I've bailed on good shows before but been brought back to the light by the opinions on the movie boards evolving from Hornfans to here. The Wire and Deadwood are notable examples.

I'd never heard of Derry Girls until I saw it referenced here. I love telling people that I heard about Derry Girls on a UT football site. It's a credit to the security of many critics here that they don't feel obliged to stick to manly shows about revenge or over-the-top guy humor. I like movies of that type as well, but variety is great.

This show is good. It isn’t as “fun” as the Uber show, Super Pumped, which is stylized in a Big Short kind of way and backed by the Rounders creators.  But it does a pretty good job of showing the chain of events that leads driven people to commit fraud, and is more than a dramatized wikipedia (which Super Pumped is, even though I am enjoying it - mostly because Coach Taylor is totally pulling off Bill Gurley).  

2 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

This show is good. It isn’t as “fun” as the Uber show, Super Pumped, which is stylized in a Big Short kind of way and backed by the Rounders creators.  But it does a pretty good job of showing the chain of events that leads driven people to commit fraud, and is more than a dramatized wikipedia (which Super Pumped is, even though I am enjoying it - mostly because Coach Taylor is totally pulling off Bill Gurley).  

billions.

dahl just directed a couple eps i believe.  super-pumped is a koppelman joint.

We are caught up tonight. It’s gotten really good the last two as the story unfolds on how Theranos finally starts inevitable takedown. Holmes deserves to rot in prison. Sunny too. What complete pieces of shit.

William H Macy is awesome in this. So is Laurie Metcalf.

Man, they were WAY too generous to George Schulz. He actually ambushed his grandson with the Bois legal team, not just the GC. He strong armed his grandson to sign, but he refused.

They did get the step-grandmother right. She was Tyler’s lifeline

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 1:23 AM, C-Man said:

We are caught up tonight. It’s gotten really good the last two as the story unfolds on how Theranos finally starts inevitable takedown. Holmes deserves to rot in prison. Sunny too. What complete pieces of shit.

William H Macy is awesome in this. So is Laurie Metcalf.

Macy is probably the best Actor in the series.   

I watched the HBO doc when it first came out and then listened to the podcast.  Not sure why I'm watching this also, but I just CANNOT believe how she got away with any of this.  Why are people so fucking easy to manipulate?

Between this and Inventing Anna, I want all fraud and hucksters to fucking rot in prison for eternity.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of the HBO doc, I rewatched it over the weekend and Seyfried is really killing it.  Her eyes are a little more buggy then Holmes, but the hunching and the head bobbing, etc. are all just nailed.  Uncanny, even.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2022 at 10:12 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

Speaking of the HBO doc, I rewatched it over the weekend and Seyfried is really killing it.  Her eyes are a little more buggy then Holmes, but the hunching and the head bobbing, etc. are all just nailed.  Uncanny, even.  

I was watching it with my wife and I made the comment about how the really uglied-up Seyfried. Then that turned into 10 minutes of her trying to convince me that Amanda Seyfried isn't all that attractive anyway. 

• Haha 2

Watched this at the same time as the WeWork and Uber shows.  We knew the storylines but watched them anyway.  It's still astounding how much all of them got away with.  None of the money ever told them no until the end.  Even with Theranos, it took Walgreen's three years before they gave her a deadline and it seemed like they were the first to do that.  I understand that it's the investment community and being afraid of missing out on the next big thing but the lack of due diligence is still astounding.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:47 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I watched the HBO doc when it first came out and then listened to the podcast.  Not sure why I'm watching this also, but I just CANNOT believe how she got away with any of this.  Why are people so fucking easy to manipulate?

Between this and Inventing Anna, I want all fraud and hucksters to fucking rot in prison for eternity.

Was it the HBO doc or the 20/20 where they interviewed the Schultz grandkid at length? Hell, George might've been on it too. I'd like to see some of those clips now after seeing George's supposed treatment of his grandson in the Hulu show. Erika Cheung is a goddamn hero -- she really put her ass on the line and appears to be the final piece that killed Theranos.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:47 PM, Biff Tannen said:

A huge chunk of the board was defense/military hotshots that were huge names. Kissinger & Schultz (Secs of State), Perry & Mattis (Secs of Defense), Roughhead (Ret Navy Admiral), Foege (Fmr Head of CDC), Nunn & Frist (Fmr Senators - Frist a physician).

Theranos wanted to get into military contracts to make millions/billions of dollars using their blood technology. But they picked a field that was too highly regulated by the FDA. They tried to rush their equipment into the battlefields in hopes of getting a huge military contract, when in reality they couldn’t even prove reliable results in non-combat situations.

If Theranos would have focused on a less regulated product, they could have made billions of dollars because there was no oversight to challenge their claims. They could have said they invented body armor that prevented serious injury if you stepped on an IED, but how many people would have invested in that? 

Theranos took investor money based on their revolutionary blood testing technology. Everyone wanted a slice of the next big thing. But Theranos didn’t realize they would be scrutinized and checked so thoroughly. I think if Theranos skipped the Walgreens deal and went straight to military testing, they wouldn’t have been exposed so quickly because the military keeps a tight lid on everything and keeps it in house.

27 minutes ago, MrBig said:

A huge chunk of the board was defense/military hotshots that were huge names. Kissinger & Schultz (Secs of State), Perry & Mattis (Secs of Defense), Roughhead (Ret Navy Admiral), Foege (Fmr Head of CDC), Nunn & Frist (Fmr Senators - Frist a physician).

Theranos wanted to get into military contracts to make millions/billions of dollars using their blood technology. But they picked a field that was too highly regulated by the FDA. They tried to rush their equipment into the battlefields in hopes of getting a huge military contract, when in reality they couldn’t even prove reliable results in non-combat situations.

If Theranos would have focused on a less regulated product, they could have made billions of dollars because there was no oversight to challenge their claims. They could have said they invented body armor that prevented serious injury if you stepped on an IED, but how many people would have invested in that? 

Theranos took investor money based on their revolutionary blood testing technology. Everyone wanted a slice of the next big thing. But Theranos didn’t realize they would be scrutinized and checked so thoroughly. I think if Theranos skipped the Walgreens deal and went straight to military testing, they wouldn’t have been exposed so quickly because the military keeps a tight lid on everything and keeps it in house.

Of course this also doesn't mention the fact that what she was trying to do was impossible.

How did none of these investors stop and think, hey, maybe we should ask a FUCKING DOCTOR if this is even a viable idea?

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Of course this also doesn't mention the fact that what she was trying to do was impossible.

How did none of these investors stop and think, hey, maybe we should ask a FUCKING DOCTOR if this is even a viable idea?

You realize, of course, that an MD is not the final word on feasiblity.  For all her certainty, Phyllis Gardner was just another asshole (not in a lab) with an opinion.

Yes, it was highly implausible and the real technologists like Gibbons and Ku were dismissed or demoted before being permitted to reach or express any conclusions about the viability of the technology.  There was kind of a pattern there.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You realize, of course, that an MD is not the final word on feasiblity.  For all her certainty, Phyllis Gardner was just another asshole (not in a lab) with an opinion.

Yes, it was highly implausible and the real technologists like Gibbons and Ku were dismissed or demoted before being permitted to reach or express any conclusions about the viability of the technology.  There was kind of a pattern there.

Maybe not the final word on all things, but when it came to this, yes, it is impossible.  The Stanford prof said as much.  It was never a viable idea.  Theranos never came close.  All they did was package existing technology into a smaller package and lie about it.  They kept HOPING that they would find some breakthrough, but it never happened, mainly because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

41 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Frist and Foege were both MDs. Frist a heart and lung transplant surgeon and former Senate Majority Leader, and Foege a Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient and former head of CDC.

I’m sure many doctors had their doubts about the technology, but it’s difficult to be heard when the board has MDs like this on their side.

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Maybe not the final word on all things, but when it came to this, yes, it is impossible.  The Stanford prof said as much.  It was never a viable idea.  Theranos never came close.  All they did was package existing technology into a smaller package and lie about it.  They kept HOPING that they would find some breakthrough, but it never happened, mainly because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

All that is true, but there's not some MD, in all likelihood, that could have definitively said "this won't work."

The conception of a lot of inventions is flawed.  Implausible.  Even impossible.  But those conceptions often lead to important innovations.

I'm not defending Holmes or Theranos, what they did is reprehensible because they lied about their lack of progress.  

But it would not surprise me one bit if a competent outfit like Siemens or Abbott came out with something conceptually similar in the next 10 years, e.g, small samples, remote processing, etc.

That this area is FDA regulated is a good observation.  If it wasn't, Theranos would still be bilking people.

• Hook 'Em 1

everyone thinks they're steve jobs.  most people are not steve jobs.  a good idea of a conceivable, easy-to-grasp concept doesn't mean you can will it into being.

but all these vc's spread their money around and if they hit on one or two out of twenty (or fifty), they consider it a success.  i'm sure the tax benefits of betting on a loser are insane and nauseating.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 1 year later...

Necro bump...

Watched this as it came up as a suggestion on Hulu after watching The Bear.  We enjoyed it.  I imagine after sitting a year in prison she is still sitting there and thinking she did nothing wrong.

She is in Bryan.  Maybe A&M can hire her to help sling bullshit about them.