I Heart Depreciation (AKA Baller cars for Surly 99%)...

Bernard

Bernard,  you like posting these 10 year old luxo barges.  But what do you drive?  Because i could afford to own that S600 you posted,  but i don't want to because i understand what these things cost to maintain.   I have an Audi S6 and I'll probably get rid of it in the next 2-3 years even though i love it.   Things like 20k for a new transmission or 15k for new turbos are not trivial. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, huge said:

Look.  I enjoy frivolous spending as much as the next asshole.  But this badge of whatever people wear by ONLY BUYING NEW CARS seems goofy.

Maybe I need to re-evaluate my priorities.

(I drive a 2015 SQ5 bought in 2017 for $20k off sticker)

Yep.  Bought my Audi 15 months old for 20k+ off sticker. 

The only new car I've ever bought was my current one at $10K off sticker. It was only a few grand more than used models were going for and I drive my cars for 7-10 years so it made sense to me.

I normally go the CPO route and likely will again with my wife's next vehicle.

The only new car I've ever bought was my current one at $10K off sticker. It was only a few grand more than used models were going for and I drive my cars for 7-10 years so it made sense to me.

I normally go the CPO route and likely will again with my wife's next vehicle.
I also went cpo.

I have 35k on mine and have already had to do the front rotors and pads. Cost $1500. Just for the fronts, and that was aftermarket. Dealership wanted to charge me $2200.

These things seem like bargains but there is a reason they are so cheap.

Some of these cars are stupid I don’t give a shit how much a 2007 Mercedes cost new whatever someone paid for it 11 years later is too much. You can drive a new Toyota Avalon with more features and decent ride for the same cost.

The OP is dumb be happy your boss bought you a $40k new car don’t go wishing it was something more. CPO makes sense because those are just a couple years old and are nice rides.

if you have $30k for a 10’year old luxury car use that to lease a new one.

$1000/month lease by 24 months

$5k down

I don’t want to do that but it’s better than buying some old Benz.

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Bernard,  you like posting these 10 year old luxo barges.  But what do you drive?  Because i could afford to own that S600 you posted,  but i don't want to because i understand what these things cost to maintain.   I have an Audi S6 and I'll probably get rid of it in the next 2-3 years even though i love it.   Things like 20k for a new transmission or 15k for new turbos are not trivial. 

Your repair prices are WAY off. New transmission is $6k. Turbos can be rebuilt for very reasonable cost. Repairs are pocket change compared to the original owner’s depreciation expense. Maintenance costs are certainly an important consideration. I’m not saying these cars are for everyone, or even me. They are are a lot of car for the money though, even including repairs. 

My daily driver is a 2001 LX470. Bought it several years ago with 156k miles for $12,000, almost fully depreciated. Now at 216k miles and still worth $8,000. Just fine for my daily travels on the mean streets of Houston. Only repairs beyond regular maintenance (tires, brakes, fluids, timing belt, etc.) include: exhaust manifold; radiator; a couple O2 sensors; a wheel speed sensor; a new windshield and an ignition coil. All quite manageable. I’m confident it’ll go to 300k+ and still be worth $5,000 when I’m done.

I put my 75-year old mom in a 2005 Jaguar XJ8 last year. Cream puff with 90k miles. Looks nearly new. Cost $8k with suspension issues and check engine light on. Four new air shocks were $2,200 plus install. CEL was solved with an inexpensive mass air flow sensor. Now she’s rolling in a georgous, fast, smooth ride for $12,000. Ford invested billions to solve Jaguar’s age old reliability issues. These are great cars.

I put my 74-year old dad in a 2001 Audi A8L almost a decade ago. 65k miles for $17k. Spent a few thousand out of the gate to fix a few oil leaks plus new tires so maybe he’s into it for $20k. He’s a self employed chemical engineer who works from home. Doesn’t drive a ton. Currently pushing 150k miles. Other than an $8,000 new transmission about five years ago, it’s needed minimal repairs. Whole lot of car for the money. I keep suggesting new options, which he can easily afford, but he loves what he has.

Bernard

By the way, you picking probably the most reliable car in the world as your DD undermines your point here. I would not lump a Land Cruiser in with a V12 Mercedes when it comes to buying sketchy used cars that might have terrible repair bills.

15 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Some of these cars are stupid I don’t give a shit how much a 2007 Mercedes cost new whatever someone paid for it 11 years later is too much. You can drive a new Toyota Avalon with more features and decent ride for the same cost.

If you think a 2007 S600 and a new Avalon belong in the same sentence, you aren’t qualified to participate in this conversation. Please. Not to mention a new stripped Avalon in XLE trim starts at $35,500 which is $10,000 more than the 2007 S600. If want want the Limited trim level Avalon you’re up $41,800 plus options.

If you really want an Avalon, you can buy one barely broken in (33k miles) for$19,000. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Avalon-XLE-4dr-Sedan/192554436065?hash=item2cd52385e1:g:2IcAAOSwN2VbBZ5x&vxp=mtr

Bernard

33 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

By the way, you picking probably the most reliable car in the world as your DD undermines your point here. I would not lump a Land Cruiser in with a V12 Mercedes when it comes to buying sketchy used cars that might have terrible repair bills.

Certainly didn’t mean to imply these examples were the perfect car for all situations, or even my personal situation.

95% over my driving is in the Houston area where the streets are crowded and the freeways are either bumper to bumper or full of speed traps. LX470 is big, but not huge; super quiet and smooth; very comfortable, doesn’t ride like a truck, but rugged enough for any bumps in road. I really liked the XKR in the first post, although I wonder how often I can really enjoy it. It wouldn’t be a daily driver. 

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

Jalopnik has pretty good stories on buying old supercars at Carmax.  https://jalopnik.com/the-six-best-unreliable-cars-you-can-buy-from-carmax-168777099

Check out Hoovies Garage on YouTube. He buys the cheapest exotics on autotrader (he works for them) and tries to get them running reliably. The lulz usually ensue.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEczn3MVkx_4PnMZ10MVFA

21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I went CPO with the GF's daily driver.   Mercedes.  Bought it with 25,000 miles for about 65% of sticker. 4 year warranty.   Car was in perfect condition.  

Mercedes CPO is legit. When we were looking we found lots of vehicles under 1000 miles and a few under 100 miles. We ended up getting one with 9000 miles for 80% of sticker. 

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Lulz.  You think you can replace an Audi DSG for 6k?  Good luck with that one.   And there are several folks on Audizine who would love to know where they can get their turbos replaced or rebuilt for reasonable prices. 

On 6/1/2018 at 8:51 PM, Chewbacca said:

I don't know who your repair guy is but his is murdering you. 15k for turbos that cost 1500 new? 20k for a transmission? Those are GTR level prices. Should be half that.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:18 PM, Chewbacca said:

I have 35k on mine and have already had to do the front rotors and pads. Cost $1500. Just for the fronts, and that was aftermarket. Dealership wanted to charge me $2200.

These things seem like bargains but there is a reason they are so cheap.

Yeah, they are most def murdering you. There is no way a 35k car needs new rotors. Maybe a little turn, but new? No way. Even so, the genuine Audi parts for that A6 brand new are 800, so that means the dealership wanted to charge you 1400 in labor for a job that takes even a shade tree mechanic an hour. I don't doubt it though because Audi quoted me 1300 for a wheel bearing that went out at 50k. The part is 200. I laughed in the guy's face, ordered the part and did it myself.

Edited by Thatguy

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, they are most def murdering you. There is no way a 35k car needs new rotors. Maybe a little turn, but new? No way. Even so, the genuine Audi parts for that A6 brand new are 800, so that means the dealership wanted to charge you 1400 in labor for a job that takes even a shade tree mechanic an hour. I don't doubt it though because Audi quoted me 1300 for a wheel bearing that went out at 50k. The part is 200. I laughed in the guy's face, ordered the part and did it myself.

S6, not A6.  Different parts. 

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I don't know who your repair guy is but his is murdering you. 15k for turbos that cost 1500 new? 20k for a transmission? Those are GTR level prices. Should be half that.

I've never gotten a quote,  just going by what i see at Audizine.   And the S6 transmission is a dual clutch transmission just like a GTR or Porsche with PDK, which is why it is so expensive. 

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

S6, not A6.  Different parts. 

That's S6 prices...I mis-typed. A6 is half that price.

Here ya go........

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C7_S6-Quattro-4.0T/Braking/Pads/

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C7_S6-Quattro-4.0T/Braking/Rotors/

Also, ECS tuning has a dipstick for your car(since they don't come with one) if you like checking oil the old fashioned way. I bought one because relying on a computer to tell me oil levels freaks me out.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Like 1

That's S6 prices...I mis-typed. A6 is half that price.

Here ya go........

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C7_S6-Quattro-4.0T/Braking/Pads/
https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C7_S6-Quattro-4.0T/Braking/Rotors/

Also, ECS tuning has a dipstick for your car(since they don't come with one) if you like checking oil the old fashioned way. I bought one because relying on a computer to tell me oil levels freaks me out.

Yup. Pelican Parts is similar.

The maintenance schedule on my old E34 BMW called for new rotors at every pad change. Softer rotors equals better braking. They wear out faster.

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The maintenance schedule on my old E34 BMW called for new rotors at every pad change. Softer rotors equals better braking. They wear out faster.

Bro, those giant almost 16 inch rotors on the s6 don't wear out that fast. The issue is you can't go to a mechanic without them telling your more than you need should be replaced.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

that sounds like some top-grade manure , my man

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Bro, those giant almost 16 inch rotors on the s6 don't wear out that fast. The issue is you can't go to a mechanic without them telling your more than you need should be replaced.

Rather than listening to BS on the internet, your best bet is to find out the minimum factory spec for rotor thickness, check yours, and replace them if necessary. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yarbr said:

Exactly. I was forced to learn to do my own because I got called a pussy by this bad ass admin asst chick from my office because I was paying for it. She did all her families for them.

Why didn't you just pay the chick to do your less then?

I changed mine once, changed my wifes pads and had the rotors turned.  But these were both relatively cheap cars. 

They were no longer within spec to be resurfaced, so i replaced them. But hey, you're from the internet so you know better, right?

I have a great independent mechanic that i trust.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

They were no longer within spec to be resurfaced, so i replaced them. But hey, you're from the internet so you know better, right?

I have a great independent mechanic that i trust.

He seems pretty trustworthy. I mean, he only charged you $700 an hour to change your front rotors and pads. But hey, what do I know about it only taking an hour to change front rotors and pads? I am only some dude front the internet.

He seems pretty trustworthy. I mean, he only charged you $700 an hour to change your front rotors and pads. But hey, what do I know about it only taking an hour to change front rotors and pads? I am only some dude front the internet.
Yes, because you know exactly which rotors and pads i put on and how much they cost, right?

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Yes, because you know exactly which rotors and pads i put on and how much they cost, right?

Somewhere along our conversations I thought we were of the understanding that we were both Audi aficionados and owners. 

In the next several years, I'm hoping to get into an A5 with a 6-manual.  Currently in a tuned VW 2.0t with a manual.  Got a service plan through my credit union after the top end of my engine went kaboom at 48k miles (covered under factory powertrain warranty).  One interesting thing I saw with this service plan is that, although they cover VW, they will not cover Audi.

Always worried me a bit.

On 6/4/2018 at 8:57 PM, dcbc said:

In the next several years, I'm hoping to get into an A5 with a 6-manual.  Currently in a tuned VW 2.0t with a manual.  Got a service plan through my credit union after the top end of my engine went kaboom at 48k miles (covered under factory powertrain warranty).  One interesting thing I saw with this service plan is that, although they cover VW, they will not cover Audi.

Always worried me a bit.

I've heard some horror stories with Audi and VAG cars in general. I had a 2000 A4 1.8T that held up really well (think my ex-wife is still driving it), but not sure I'd risk another (used A3 is damn tempting, though). I tend to stick with normally aspirated BMW's with inline 6's, as they seem to be pretty bulletproof. Keep up with the cooling systems and the suspension maintenance, and they'll run for 200k miles and perform better than new with some mild upgrades.

Edited by NYTransplant
  • Like 1