I Heart Depreciation (AKA Baller cars for Surly 99%)...

Bernard

11 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

I've heard some horror stories with Audi and VAG cars in general. I had a 2000 A4 1.8T that held up really well (think my ex-wife is still driving it), but not sure I'd risk another (used A3 is damn tempting, though). I tend to stick with normally aspirated BMW's with inline 6's, as they seem to be pretty bulletproof. Keep up with the cooling systems and the suspension maintenance, and they'll run for 200k miles and perform better than new with some mild upgrades.

I have had issues with my VW since then, but never used the service plan.  VW covered everything and I have extended warranties through VW (at no cost) for the injectors and intake manifold flapper, which failed and was replaced at about 85k miles (under warranty).  I'm at 106K now and the warranties are good through 120k.  Only major thing I took care of when I decided to keep the car long term was to have the timing chain tensioner replaced.  No use in driving around with that grenade under the hood.  Car has been reasonably reliable (knock wood) and still is fun to drive. 

It seems like VW sees owners as continuous beta testers, but with that, is pretty good about honoring warranties. 

• Like 1

I picked up my 2008 997 Carrera S cab 6spd a couple of years ago at the bottom of the depreciation curve (or close to it I think).  Grabbed it with only 31k miles on it and a great options list.  $109k sticker for $44k.  Not my only car so I've only put 5k miles on it in 2 years and not a single expense other than 2 oil changes and some mild mods.  She's a real peach.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 1:40 PM, Elvis said:

I picked up my 2008 997 Carrera S cab 6spd a couple of years ago at the bottom of the depreciation curve (or close to it I think).  Grabbed it with only 31k miles on it and a great options list.  $109k sticker for $44k.  Not my only car so I've only put 5k miles on it in 2 years and not a single expense other than 2 oil changes and some mild mods.  She's a real peach.

Rules

I have 35k on mine and have already had to do the front rotors and pads. Cost $1500. Just for the fronts, and that was aftermarket. Dealership wanted to charge me $2200.

These things seem like bargains but there is a reason they are so cheap.

You just made me glad I got the A and not the S.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 7:40 AM, Buzzrock said:

I need to go ahead and drop the $1K on the APR tune.

Look at Unitronic as well.  I've  been running one for six years and it still does exactly what it's supposed to do---make me smile.