Marshall, TX seems like a second world country.....

Aqua Buddha

Wait a fucking minute. Crumps - the grocery store in Linden - serves sushi? That’s the most amazing thing I’ve heard all day. I’ll have to make some inquiries about this. 
supposedly it’s pretty good. I don’t eat sushi so I’ll never know. Crumps always has some kind of wild bulk sale going on too.
Got nothing on Turkey Creek. If you in know that place, it’s even more random than Uncertain. 

Nothing at Turkey Creek but a church.

1 hour ago, EE2B said:

@Jkwellborn well, this is something…

this one cracked me up  

48A9393F-3378-4FFC-A670-AD50B092778F.thumb.jpeg.12d4538508a0461c48b675b4d3e65487.jpeg

A guy I know lives in West-Central Arkansas; the biggest nearby town is Mena.  He's been complaining on social media that there is a shortage of saltine crackers in Mena.  Seems like an interesting/strange supply-chain issue.  Fwiw.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/supply-chain-shortage-leads-to-missing-items-in-grocery-stores/article_4002bfc0-8a01-11ec-9877-dfb9b1431eec.html

On the list of shittiest east Texas towns, Marshall doesn’t even crack the top 50. In fact, Marshall with absolutely no running water for weeks would still not be on the list.

Here’s some actual advice, OP: when your wife decides that the dog is lonely and it would be soooo great to get him a companion, stay in Jefferson and eat at/stay here: https://stillwaterinn.com/

Legit. And it will almost make you feel like dropping another $3500 (because inflation and shit) was worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Drove through Jefferson on the way down.  Looked poor and fucked up in a poor, southern town sort of way.  I saw that with some authority being the in-laws are all from Lower Arkansas.

You must have just blazed through because Jefferson looks nothing like the poor fucked-up towns of lower Arkansas. It's the most unusual town in NE Texas, full of preserved 1850s houses turned into bed and breakfasts. Population is about 2000 but it has fine dining and multiple bars ranging from good ol' boy to wine bars. As has been pointed out, this is where OP should have gone. Or to a cabin lakeside at Caddo.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

On the list of shittiest east Texas towns, Marshall doesn’t even crack the top 50. In fact, Marshall with absolutely no running water for weeks would still not be on the list.

Here’s some actual advice, OP: when your wife decides that the dog is lonely and it would be soooo great to get him a companion, stay in Jefferson and eat at/stay here: https://stillwaterinn.com/

Legit. And it will almost make you feel like dropping another $3500 (because inflation and shit) was worth it. 

The parents of a poster here run/ran that place and if I’m not mistaken his dad was/is the chef. Can’t recall his username off the top of my head. 

A guy I know lives in West-Central Arkansas; the biggest nearby town is Mena.  He's been complaining on social media that there is a shortage of saltine crackers in Mena.  Seems like an interesting/strange supply-chain issue.  Fwiw.
https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/supply-chain-shortage-leads-to-missing-items-in-grocery-stores/article_4002bfc0-8a01-11ec-9877-dfb9b1431eec.html

Had the same problem with Saltines a couple of weeks ago in DFW area.
Lots of nice areas around Mena. Ouachitas, Cossatot River etc. The lovely odor of the paper mill in Ashdown if the wind is blowing just right can be annoying.

22 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Maybe we should all start talking about how much we love the town of Marshall, y'know, just in case the Russians are reading.

It's already on their radar.

https://apnews.com/article/0fddd8def33a5e71f2ea909c023f266a

As an aside, Marshall apparently used to be a pretty nice regional city, but the story I've always heard is that they were too closed to outsiders and as a result the town mostly died while other nearby places like Longview grew instead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

full of preserved 1850s houses turned into bed and breakfasts.

Never had an issue when I stayed in Marshall for a month or so. There’s a good burger joint, pinky’s or pookie’s or some such. Saw $2500 and figured someone picked them up a low/mid-grade pointer but huh. Bougie indeed.  Also, Jefferson not a bad town at all, considering. 

*Jucy’s Burgers. 

Edited by fattyflattie

8 hours ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

The Marshall Chamber of Commerce needs you.   

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

As an aside, Marshall apparently used to be a pretty nice regional city, but the story I've always heard is that they were too closed to outsiders and as a result the town mostly died while other nearby places like Longview grew instead.

The story I read was when the White political structure collapsed, sleazy real estate developers encouraged the new Black city government to tear down all the old downtown mansions as they were reminders of slavery and lynching days. Which they were, and Marshall had a huge number of lynchings in the early 20th century, and many took place right downtown.

Once all the demos got going there came to be a "fuck it, tear it all down" mindset across all races. Before anyone even thought that preservation might have some value the era of dstruction also  claimed the city's synagogue and Bishop College, a historic HBCU. The main building had been a former plantation home; it's owner sold it to freedmen in 1880 for use as part of the college. These buildings were all leveled as well as the old opera house and the building that housed the government of Missouri in exiled during the Civil War. Not to mention dozens old homes and commercial buildings.

All during this time, the economy wasn't doing that great. Usually when a town tears everything down, it's thriving, like Houston or Austin. That wasn't the deal there. They kind of killed what could have been their golden goose -- the old buildings also had the potential to make the town a tourist attraction like Jefferson. Instead it just regressed to the mean of less historical East Texas cities which is not a good place to be. 

Now in their place you have drive-thru banks and fry pits....Bill Moyers is a native and this might come from his documentary.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

They need Barry Seal to smuggle in some crackers

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 10:25 PM, CoTex said:

My work requires me to visit there from time to time and, the thing I do there is lucrative, so I go gladly.  

They treat me well there too.  I even went to a damned walk the red carpet movie premier in that town and had dinner with an actor and the director at the jalapeño tree after.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2630352/

small world, I recognized folks from that movie as well, but I cannot recall their names.   Mostly I just go fishing up there and stay at a lake house. 

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My understanding is that they had a chance to get the Lone Star brewing/bottling? plant back in the day, but a bunch of moral types raised a stink and Longview got it.  Marshall hasn't grown in population (25,000) since then.

Edited by dcbc

On 3/7/2022 at 8:43 PM, Mach 1 said:

I just remembered a csb/

I took my son on a fishing trip on Lake O the Pines. The dude who took us was full on Cajun, an ex heavyweight boxer in the Army. We fished all over the place including his houseboat. Caught a bunch of ? can’t remember probably catfish but do remember the bass taking our bait and saying fuck you thank you very much.

When we had to load up the catch I said Hey, do you want some? I’m just going to fry up some for dinner.

He looked at me like it was Christmas. Mach 1, you give me some of those fish and I’m going to give them to a couple of twins over in LA I visit from time to tIme. Save me a little $ if you know any I mean.

He the pinched my son on the cheek. He was around 10 at the time, not sure if he got it or not.

/csb

Got any more details on these twins that accept catfish as payment? They seem relevant to my interests.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

My understanding is that they had a chance to get the Lone Star brewing/bottling? plant back in the day, but a bunch of moral types raised a stink and Longview got it.  Marshall hasn't grown in population (25,000) since then.

You sure that you are not thinking of Lone Star Steel? Because when Lone Star Steel pink slipped everyone in the late 80s it tanked every town out that way from Daingerfield to Marshall.

You sure that you are not thinking of Lone Star Steel? Because when Lone Star Steel pink slipped everyone in the late 80s it tanked every town out that way from Daingerfield to Marshall.
It didn’t affect Daingerfield much. Lone Star Steel / US Steel fucked it up though.
It was a Schlitz / Stroh’s brewery. I think it closed somewhere around 1999 to 2000. A friend’s dad worked there and he had cases of Schlitz stacked up in his garage that they were given.

It’s was Strohs. I think it may have been a little later than that when it closed. I remember going by after it did and wondering when it shut down.

1 hour ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

1 hour ago, EE2B said:

It was a Schlitz / Stroh’s brewery. I think it closed somewhere around 1999 to 2000. A friend’s dad worked there and he had cases of Schlitz stacked up in his garage that they were given.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

It didn’t affect Daingerfield much. Lone Star Steel / US Steel fucked it up though.

It’s was Strohs. I think it may have been a little later than that when it closed. I remember going by after it did and wondering when it shut down.

1 hour ago, baboso said:

It was a Schlitz brewery before it was Stroh's.

Ah, that's it.  And when Stroh bought Lone Star, they moved production of Lone Star from San Antonio to the Longview brewery (1996).  I think it closed in the early 2000s.

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Prepare to be disappointed.

Perspective matters.  If you’ve just received a speeding ticket in diboll or corrigan, and eaten the truck stop tacos in North Carthage, well then, Marshall might be a real treat.

if not, 70 miles to Texarkana, where you can have some real excitement.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

My only experience with Marshall was being dragged to a church wedding there by my parents, for a friend of theirs. I was probably 8 or 9.

They had some religiousy guy singing in a falsetto. It was horribad.  My older brother leaned over and said "he sounds just like Gomer Pyle" (Jim Nabors had quite the singing career for a while). We both started laughing and it got to the point where our shoulders were shaking, tears streaming down, desperately trying to maintain some amount of control and not audibly bust out while our parents tried discretely pinching and thumping us because we were damn near ruining the wedding.  Never been back to Marshall and no ragrets.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Perspective matters.  If you’ve just received a speeding ticket in diboll or corrigan, and eaten the truck stop tacos in North Carthage, well then, Marshall might be a real treat.

if not, 70 miles to Texarkana, where you can have some real excitement.

Bruh. What’s your problem with Corrigan? 

12 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'll cosign for CoTex....bullshit speed trap town.

I was mostly joking, as my only connection is a close friend who’s several gens deep there, and own a bunch of shit around town.  He knew a couple of guys from our (and aggy) ‘03-05 squads and I love hearing the tiny town football stories. 

Edited by fattyflattie

13 hours ago, South Austin said:

Tenaha is the dingleberry capital of the world.

Used to be a guy there who sold A-frame swings.  They weren't bad.  Don't know if that was an option.

Edited by dcbc

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2022 at 9:26 PM, CoTex said:

I think Corrigan sucks.  There, I said it.  

Timpson, Tenaha, Garrison and San Augustine, you're on the list too.

Every town on Highway 31 between Corsicana and Athens is on my shit list.  Since they added the Corsicana bypass it’s way faster than 79.  Everyone else on the highway is making bypasses and trying to keep traffic moving while those fucking towns are having the speed limit drop from 60 to 45 and then back to 60 in a 0.5 mile span for a bank, a post office, and a fucking pecan company.  That’s Powell, TX, look it up on google maps, I’m not exaggerating.

Fuck Powell, Kerens, Trinidad, and Malakoff right in the ass.

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Every town on Highway 31 between Corsicana and Athens is on my shit list.  Since they added the Corsicana bypass it’s way faster than 79.  Everyone else on the highway is making bypasses and trying to keep traffic moving while those fucking towns are having the speed limit drop from 60 to 45 and then back to 60 in a 0.5 mile span for a bank, a post office, and a fucking pecan company.  That’s Powell, TX, look it up on google maps, I’m not exaggerating.

Fuck Powell, Kerens, Trinidad, and Malakoff right in the ass.

The best part is the little short section of 31 outside of Powell that is 75. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm from small-town Texas and I'm very in agreement that many small towns suck. I'm a complete big city snob now.

I found myself at a work meeting about an hour north of Houston. I'm blocked the town name from my memory. The local people I was working with, wanted to go to the Chinese buffet in town, so we went. It was like a former NAPA auto parts building or something. They beelined to the sushi bar.  I like sushi but no way was I touching that in that town in a Chinese buffet. My lack of knowledge about Chinese buffets also made me wonder why they had sushi but I didn't ask.

You were in Navasota.  You're intuition served you well.