Survivor 42

TonyTexas

Begins tonight. It’s another 28 day season so expect lots of twists, advantages and idols. Survivor has always embraced diversity, which I support. But are they taking it too far?  By my count, 11 out of the 18 cast members would be considered POC. And 5 identify as LGBQT+. We’ll see. 
https://ew.com/tv/survivor-season-42-cast-photos-bios/?

11 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The gap in athletic ability between Jonathan and the entire rest of the cast is genuinely 

What about the guy who couldn't run across 50 yards of sand without falling down and dislocating his shoulder?

18 hours ago, Wade said:

That first immunity challenge was legit.  Understandable why they pulled that guy out when the did.

That challenge is going to take a lot out of the teams. We’re going to put you through the equivalent of several hard workouts, and here’s a thimble of rice for your recovery meal.

5 hours ago, WBT said:

What about the guy who couldn't run across 50 yards of sand without falling down and dislocating his shoulder?

I noticed him holding his shoulder throughout the immunity challenge the day after the dislocation. I don’t blame him but you have to wonder if he’s ever going to heal well with constant challenges.

and yes to the comment that CBS casting has definitely taken on a different direction over the past few years. I can’t help but laugh that some white dude in small town America is watching thinking that he identifies with no one on survivor.

46 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

What doctor prescribes lithium as a sleep aid?

None.

There are two types of lithium. Lithium carbonate is a prescription only form that is used to treat manic depression/bipolar disorder. Lithium orotate is a low dose OTC mineral supplement that can balance your circadian rhythms and help with sleep. There's some research studing the supplement as a benefit for alzheimers/dementia and depression/suicidology, but that's only preliminary at this point.  And again, not a prescription. He played it off as just using for sleep which is likely not the whole story.  If he's just using the micro-dose OTC for insomnia, stopping shouldn't have any bearing on his ability to play the game as it has no real withdrawal symptoms. Some doctors will use orotate as a bridge to wean someone off the prescription form, but once you're at that stage I don't think it's an issue to stop taking the micro-dose. The way the show reacted makes me think he was actually on the prescription form for much more than insomnia. And going cold turkey can lead to manic episodes and bipolar relapse. Shame, would have made great TV for soulless bastards like me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I thought he made it pretty clear he was taking it for some form of mental health disorder. He commented that after all the shit he dealt with caring for his dad, that it would be a miracle if he wasn’t a little ‘fucked up’ by it all. The trans issues would compound that I’m sure. Guy was on a medication, didn’t disclose it so it could be managed, and it turns out it has some nasty withdrawal effects. Sucks for him to miss out but I get why they made him leave. Sucks all the way around in that respect 

Edited by George

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Makes you wonder if some past contestants might have suffered from some withdrawals as they came off their undisclosed meds on survivor..

One lady like 15 years ago (I think her name was Kathy?) quit Zoloft cold turkey, and a few weeks later she was contemplating chopping her finger off so she could be medically evacuated and leave the show.  Luckily Jeff convinced her to just quit normally...

• 2 weeks later...
Last few casts have been shitty. I don’t give a shit about their personal growth/sob stories/whatever, just give me people that can play the game, maybe stir the pot. These people seem like mostly pussies. I think I’m out on this show. 

Because they finished 41 and went straight to 42, they didn’t get time to see where 41 went off the rails. I would prefer the show go a bit darker where maybe the weaker ones (or irritating ones) are simply killed and eaten.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Because they finished 41 and went straight to 42, they didn’t get time to see where 41 went off the rails. I would prefer the show go a bit darker where maybe the weaker ones (or irritating ones) are simply killed and eaten.

That explains why the players don't know about the 3 person idol non-sense

3 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Last few casts have been shitty. I don’t give a shit about their personal growth/sob stories/whatever, just give me people that can play the game, maybe stir the pot.  I think I’m out on this show. 

Yeah, that's where I hit a couple of seasons ago. Haven't watched this season but ran across it last night.

I could not care less about their personal stories. I can't even remember people from last season, so I have no real attachment to them. I want to see great gameplay that doesn't involve 20 convoluted advantages.

They've taken an interesting game and just beat it to death. 

And damnit, I want Survivor Auction -- not sobbing family letter time!

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

• 2 weeks later...
So is Jonathan the best athlete ever to grace Survivor?
I know Ozzy is up there but I can't recall anybody as dominant as this dude.

I think so and I don’t think there’s a close second. He’s seemingly just as athletic as Ozzy/Joe/Malcolm/etc. but he also might be the strongest dude they’ve ever had. Casting him with easily the least athletic group of all time is a hilarious production decision.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Weird comment here but I’m amazed in all the years, there hasn’t been at least one contestant not hit by a sting ray while in the ocean or snake bite while reaching into trees/holes, etc while idol searching.

agreed, or more medical incidents all across the board - sunburn, twisted ankles, toes chopped with an errant machete stroke, etc.

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think so and I don’t think there’s a close second. He’s seemingly just as athletic as Ozzy/Joe/Malcolm/etc. but he also might be the strongest dude they’ve ever had. Casting him with easily the least athletic group of all time is a hilarious production decision.

He's awesome, which means he'll be voted out first as soon as the merge comes.

One guy I'm intrigued by is Roxroy.  First of all, what kind of name is that?  Secondly, why is he so bossy?   Thirdly, why is he so terrible at physical challenges?  He barely exerts any effort at all.  He had a girl swim and pull him while he sat in a boat.

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

He's awesome, which means he'll be voted out first as soon as the merge comes.

One guy I'm intrigued by is Roxroy.  First of all, what kind of name is that?  Secondly, why is he so bossy?   Thirdly, why is he so terrible at physical challenges?  He barely exerts any effort at all.  He had a girl swim and pull him while he sat in a boat.

I have a theory on this but don't want to be cancelled.

Edited by LonghornSean

The one disadvantage he has is with his size, I don't know how he will hold up in the endurance challenges that will come later.  Ozzie could stand on something uncomfortable longer than anyone also which body size has a lot to do with it.  The bigger you are, the harder it is.  Big dude is one of the best swimmers to be on the show also.  He was pulling that boat like he was a dolphin.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Grateful for at least one more week of Tori in a bikini. That’s all this show has become to me.

Yeah I thought she was done for until late in last week's episode.  Seems like the hot ones all go out really early the last few seasons.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:00 PM, Horn80 said:

Don’t get the vote tonight 

I thought it was pretty straightforward.  Only Hai, Jonathan, Maryanne, Lydia, and Lindsay could receive votes because of immunities.  The current majority alliance worked to save Jonathan, and the safest option was to target Lydia.  Those on the outside looking in split votes between Jonathan and Maryanne.  Rocksroy is an outlier because Rocksroy. 

The only surprise was Hai being so willing to vote off Lydia after being willing to go to rocks to save her in episode 3.  He won't even get to benefit from her being on the jury.  This shows how strong Omar's social game is.  His stock went way up for me, and he will be a force unless someone catches on and makes him a target.     

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I thought it was pretty straightforward.  Only Hai, Jonathan, Maryanne, Lydia, and Lindsay could receive votes because of immunities.  The current majority alliance worked to save Jonathan, and the safest option was to target Lydia.  Those on the outside looking in split votes between Jonathan and Maryanne.  Rocksroy is an outlier because Rocksroy. 

The only surprise was Hai being so willing to vote off Lydia after being willing to go to rocks to save her in episode 3.  He won't even get to benefit from her being on the jury.  This shows how strong Omar's social game is.  His stock went way up for me, and he will be a force unless someone catches on and makes him a target.     

Great insights.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

On a very special episode of Survivor....

Well, a Vietnamese guy, a Pakistani? guy, and a Hispanic guy had just gone against the white guy's wishes to vote out the black guy in the first tribal, so clearly something had to be said