Survivor 42

TonyTexas

For fucks sake, I hated that episode. So minorities getting voted off by a tribe where minorities are in the overwhelming majority is now racist. I’ve been a fan of Survivor since the beginning and have watched every season, many more than most. My fandom is being severely tested. 

Edited by TonyTexas

A lot of what people didn't like about last season are there with the many and confusing advantages.  There's very few interesting people.  The last tribal brought up diversity issues in a big way, but not really directed at anyone.  That may have been the most interesting part this season and it (predictably) is very polarizing.  

There's really not much to recommend.  Bottom line for me, the people just aren't very interesting or fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

For fucks sake, I hated that episode. So minorities getting voted off by a tribe where minorities are in the overwhelming majority is now racist. I’ve been a fan of Survivor since the beginning and have watched every season, many more than most. My fandom is being severely tested. 

Not only did nobody accuse anyone of being racist, Drea and Maryanne explicitly said they weren’t accusing anyone of being racist.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Not only did nobody accuse anyone of being racist, Drea and Maryanne explicitly said they weren’t accusing anyone of being racist.

while saying whoever voted those other two out of being subconsciously racist.

True, but everyone is lying which is to be expected and he doesn't "appear" to be conniving or backstabby. He maneuvered Hai out the door (and saved Jonathan) and had him congratulating the vote that sent him home. That's smooth. I don't foresee Omar doing anything stupid or ridiculous that would paint a target and he's never a threat at challenges.  He's doing a good job thus far at being almost forgotten when the sniping begins. He'll have a really strong case at the end and has a likeability factor that will allow a player he might eventually betray still give their vote out of respect (cough Mike cough). Only need to eliminate 4 more to make the final three and he's far down on the hot seat list with several allies. IMHO, only Jonathan would have a better case at the final tribal.

fun fact: Drea and Omar only players left that have yet to receive a single vote.

I don't think Mike is going to forgive him for lying about what Hai said when he finds out.  He voted him out because of that.  Mike is gonna be real pissed when he finds out.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Omar gonna take this. Not seen as a threat to anyone. Allegiances with everyone. Playing a brilliant game.

Drea still has 3 advantages. She’s in a great position 

Edited by TonyTexas

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I don't think Mike is going to forgive him for lying about what Hai said when he finds out.  He voted him out because of that.  Mike is gonna be real pissed when he finds out.

Mike only finds out if he is on the jury.  He could easily be a non-threat player that gets taken to final tribal. 

I'm pulling for Jonathan, but think Omar is playing the best social game by far.  

My thoughts:

In the best position: Omar, Drea

Previously an afterthought but coming on strong: Lindsay

Unlikely but feasible paths to victory: Mike, Maryanne

No chance: Romeo, Jonathan

I'm rooting for Jonathan, but they've REALLY been hammering home how bad he is at strategy and I just don't think they'd do that if he ended up winning

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

My thoughts:

I'm rooting for Jonathan, but they've REALLY been hammering home how bad he is at strategy and I just don't think they'd do that if he ended up winning

I can't really disagree with any of this.  If no one figures out that Omar is driving everything soon, then he will win.  He, Drea, and Lindsay seem the only ones likely to make any significant moves.

Sadly, Romeo likely has a better chance to win than Jonathan because he's at least likely to be carried to final tribal as a non-threat.  Jonathan's only chance is to win  immunity the rest of the way, but there will eventually be some puzzles, and even without those, his size puts him at a disadvantage in too many challenges.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I can't really disagree with any of this.  If no one figures out that Omar is driving everything soon, then he will win. 

The Reality TV podcast from the Ringer has excellent weekly recaps on Survivor with great strategy discussions and lots of inside info. It’s hosted by Tyson and has weekly guests drawn from previous contestants. One thing pointed out this week about Omar, was that at some point before final tribal, he  to come out of the closet and let the everyone know his influence . The tricky part is timing. 

The Reality TV podcast from the Ringer has excellent weekly recaps on Survivor with great strategy discussions and lots of inside info. It’s hosted by Tyson and has weekly guests drawn from previous contestants. One thing pointed out this week about Omar, was that at some point before final tribal, he  to come out of the closet and let the everyone know his influence . The tricky part is timing. 

With all the handwringing from Survivor fans every year about bitter juries and who was most deserving, it’s funny to hear Tyson talk about how he’s just voting for whichever finalist he likes the most when he’s on the jury.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:19 AM, Chuckie Finster said:

My thoughts:

nailed it

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Wonder if Drea's parting shot at Omar leads to anything. She babbled so much it probably gets lost in the wash though.

Could probably go either way.  Some may look at him as not being trustful since he opened his big mouth.  Others (Mike) may feel comfortable with him as he shared that info.  I don't understand why she told him.  The advantage is called "Knowledge is Power".  The less people that know about it, the better IMHO.

Wonder if Drea's parting shot at Omar leads to anything. She babbled so much it probably gets lost in the wash though.

It may put a target on him but it definitely helps him IF he makes the final.

I like Lindsey but I was disappointed to see Survivor reward someone for being bad at math for the second straight season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I like Lindsey but I was disappointed to see Survivor reward someone for being bad at math for the second straight season.

Agree with this.  Innumerate fucks.  It makes me wonder if it was rigged because the show didn't want the backlash from such a stupid twist costing someone their game.

8 hours ago, DanRydell said:

He peaked too soon and ultimately deserved to go home for going along with Lindsay’s dumbass theory that playing the idol means it will re-enter the game.

It's not like Omar had much of a choice, though if I were him, I would have certainly tried to convince her to give me the idol.  It's possible that Lindsay was okay with Omar going home, and therefore did not want to protect him, but I don't think she could see the forest because of the giant Jonathan tree standing in front of her.  In her defense, while Jonathan wasn't the greatest threat to win with Omar still in the game, he was the biggest obstacle to her winning challenges, even if it is unlikely that he could solve a two-piece puzzle, especially in a calorie starved state.    

While Maryanne got Omar out, a big assist has to go to Drea for exposing him as the threat that we all knew he was.  I'm surprised that it has come to this, but Maryanne is the only player left who understands that at this point in the game, you need to be getting rid of the people who could win at the end.  Mike and Jonathan both are stuck in "whatever gets me to next week" mode.  Lindsay prizes challenge success over the game.  Romeo just wants something to eat.  

I've been hoping that I was imagining things, but the editing has favored Maryanne all season.  While I think anyone but Romeo could conceivably win at the end, things seem to be trending Maryanne.  For anyone else to win, they will need to engineer the vote that eliminates her.  Maybe everyone else will wake up and remember what the objective is to actually win.      

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

It's not like Omar had much of a choice, though if I were him, I would have certainly tried to convince her to give me the idol.  It's possible that Lindsay was okay with Omar going home, and therefore did not want to protect him, but I don't think she could see the forest because of the giant Jonathan tree standing in front of her.  In her defense, while Jonathan wasn't the greatest threat to win with Omar still in the game, he was the biggest obstacle to her winning challenges, even if it is unlikely that he could solve a two-piece puzzle, especially in a calorie starved state.    

While Maryanne got Omar out, a big assist has to go to Drea for exposing him as the threat that we all knew he was.  I'm surprised that it has come to this, but Maryanne is the only player left who understands that at this point in the game, you need to be getting rid of the people who could win at the end.  Mike and Jonathan both are stuck in "whatever gets me to next week" mode.  Lindsay prizes challenge success over the game.  Romeo just wants something to eat.  

I've been hoping that I was imagining things, but the editing has favored Maryanne all season.  While I think anyone but Romeo could conceivably win at the end, things seem to be trending Maryanne.  For anyone else to win, they will need to engineer the vote that eliminates her.  Maybe everyone else will wake up and remember what the objective is to actually win.      

nice synopsis.   maryanne just leaped to the top, replacing omar.  big, bold move.  and she calculated the strategy perfectly.  the thick-headed, dumbass men of mike and jonathan just couldnt see it, so voted for romeo.  romeo?  seriously?  romeo?  what idiots.  he has no shot in winning.  take him to the end.  make him make fire.  he has no chance at either of those.  there is 0% chance of romeo winning this game.  a vote for him is a complete waste.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

nice synopsis.   maryanne just leaped to the top, replacing omar.  big, bold move.  and she calculated the strategy perfectly.  the thick-headed, dumbass men of mike and jonathan just couldnt see it, so voted for romeo.  romeo?  seriously?  romeo?  what idiots.  he has no shot in winning.  take him to the end.  make him make fire.  he has no chance at either of those.  there is 0% chance of romeo winning this game.  a vote for him is a complete waste.

They voted Romeo in case Lindsay gave Omar the idol, right? 

Maryanne probably just won the game last night, one of the best pivots to the top in recent memory. Getting Omar was exactly the play. 

2 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Maryanne probably just won the game last night, one of the best pivots to the top in recent memory. Getting Omar was exactly the play. 

Thats true, and in hindsight she should have done.  she looked stunned.  somehow they both had it in their head that mike and jonathan had turned on each other and were going to vote against each other.  what a misread.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

Omar gonna take this. Not seen as a threat to anyone. Allegiances with everyone. Playing a brilliant game.

Genius prediction.

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Was a great move and makes her a jury favorite but also puts a huge target on her back. It's unlikely she'll win the last immunity challenge. But then my pick just went home so what do I know.

Was a great move and makes her a jury favorite but also puts a huge target on her back. It's unlikely she'll win the last immunity challenge. But then my pick just went home so what do I know.

She seems like the favorite at FTC right now but yeah, it’s tough to see how she gets there without winning her own way there as any of the remaining players are nuts to take her with them. Maybe she’s been practicing making fire all season on the DL.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

She has an idol so the stupid fire making will be the only chance to take her out.

I think typically idols expire at final five so she'll play it this week and be safe but then can be voted out at final four or sent to firemaking at final three.

6 hours ago, WBT said:

She has an idol so the stupid fire making will be the only chance to take her out.

Wouldn't be the first time someone goes home with an idol in their pocket. She's getting the "I run this game" mindset which has resulted in many a blindside in Survivor history.

My thoughts:

Lmao fucking dumbass

With the obvious caveat that I’m very bad at this, I’d be pretty shocked if it’s not Lindsey or Maryanne at the end.

Maryanne was pretty annoying at the beginning, but I’ve definitely warmed up to her. She’d be a fun winner.

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Lmao fucking dumbass

With the obvious caveat that I’m very bad at this, I’d be pretty shocked if it’s not Lindsey or Maryanne at the end.

Maryanne was pretty annoying at the beginning, but I’ve definitely warmed up to her. She’d be a fun winner.

I think it will be either Mike or Maryanne.  Both have hidden immunity idols, so they'll both make Final 4.  Then at least one of them will make Final 3--most likely they'll make fire against each other and whoever makes fire will win the whole thing.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 7:29 AM, idigTexas said:

You nailed it.

Maryanne was really the only person left that hade a résumé, and as already stated, she nailed final tribal.  Clearly Romeo had no interest in winning or he would have taken Mike's advice and had Maryanne make fire. 

I was surprised that there was no mention at the after show of how dominant Jonathan was in the physical challenges.  Clearly he was not the same toward the end after having so little food, but there has never been anyone like him on the show.  It's a shame he did not have the brains to match the brawn.