Liverpool 2018-19 ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!!!

Firemans4Horn

Klopp at the helm for his 3rd full season. Auto qualifying in pot 3 of the champions league. Man city’s quality head to head but not over a 38 game season. Can we close the gap with some smart buys this summer? 

Virg captaining out of the back, Keita marauding forward from midfield and Fekir scroing goals for fun off the bench. 

YNWA. 

• Like 1

Ship out Migs and bring in a #1 keeper.

I feel defense is fine. Maybe a young prospect that can play on the B team and ship out Moreno.

Keita and Fekir should be what the midfield needs when teams park the bus. 

Need one more striker that can come on if any of the big three can't go. Solanke, Origi and Sturridge need to go.

Fill in 2-3 more young prospects that can be plugged in for cups and short week league matches and that's solid.

Edited by TKS
  • Like 1

Im not ready to give up on karrius yet
Everyone loves a comeback and i want to see how he bounces back after today

He has admitted he cost team today and greatness is forged in failure

It could lead to a great run of keeping if he uses the motivation/failure correctly

He could let this "haunt" him and be an absolute stud ........... To be determined

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, maninblack said:

Not to jinx it but in what world would Fekir be coming off the bench?

Subs on for one of Mane/Firmino/Salah in the games that he’s not starting. I imagine he’d start 70% of the games we play but still like to imagine a player of his quality available on the bench. 

We’ve conquered all of Europe, we’re never gonna stop.  From Paris down to Turkey, we’ve done the fucking lot.  Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly, the fields of Anfield Road.  We are loyal supporters, and we come from Liverpool.  Allen, Allez, allez.   Something like that

Since we're onto the summer I'm going to re-post this from the last thread. I think the GK situation is much more likely to change after Karius blowing up in the UCL final.

-----break-----

Here's my take on our depth. We have depth but our bodies depending on the position are either injury prone or lacking quality.

Attack:

Starters are good. 

Bench is currently lacking quality. I think we need to bring Origi back and buy a back-up versatile attacker. I'm fine with keeping Ings and Solanke for break in case of emergency situations and cup matches but neither is truly good enough to be Liverpool players.

Midfield:

Starters are average for the most part and there's injury history with Hendo, Lallana and Ox. Think we need an AM and a DM in addition to Naby this summer. If we do that I think we'll be set up for 2018/19. Expecting Can to leave.

Depth is fine if we buy players that push Henderson, Milner, Lallana, Ox, and Gini to the bench. All those guys are fine options as cup/rotational guys.

Defense:

Starters are good except for the CB next to VvD. Need to purchase a partner for him.

Depth isn't too bad going into next season provided nobody is sold. I can live with Robertson/Moreno, VvD/Lovren, New CB/Matip, TAA/Clyne. 

Keeper:

Karius likely gets another year. While I'm not sold I do think putting a more solid defense right in front of him will help. 

If Mignolet stays I'm good with him as a backup. If he leaves then I think we need to buy unless Danny Ward has made massive strides.

Our depth will be ok if we make the correct buys. This is how I'd like to see us start next season:

Reserves   Mane   Firmino   Salah  
Milner   FNG   Origi   Solanke  
Gini              
Ings       FNG      
        Lallana      

FNG   Naby    
      Hendo   Ox    

Robertson VvD   FNG   TAA
  Moreno   Lovren   Matip   Clyne

Karius      
        Mignolet      

I didn't list Gomez or Klavan. Not that I expect them to be sold but just to keep it within 25. I'd expect some sales as well but no sense in predicting those atm.

According to L'Equipe we're in negotiations for Fekir at £53M. Feels like this one should get wrapped up pretty quick – Lyon isn't exactly known for holding onto its players and a move at this price makes sense for all parties. Ideally it's finalized before the World Cup, as he's part of the France squad. 

A keeper is a no-brainer at this point but I'm not sure we blow the lion's share of the transfer budget on Oblak or Alisson; Atleti are bastards to deal with and there's no way Roma do us any favors after basically embarrassing them on the Salah deal. I don't want to see them bring in a stop-gap option but Karius simply cannot be our first-choice keeper after Kiev.

The silver lining in the CL loss was that it exposed our two greatest weaknesses – attacking depth and first-team GK. Hopefully we address those, replace Can, and upgrade VVD's partner at the back.

They got Fabinho leaning against a Melwood wall before most LFC fans knew he was an actual transfer target.

Funny thing is that the Brazil NT is in Liverpool for a friendly vs Croatia, but Fabinho isn't on the roster.

Fabinho was heavily linked with United last summer during the Monaco fire sale. I was pissed they were going to land him – he's a big, ball-winning bastard with a great range of passing. £40-£45M is a steal in the current market and we get him in on July 1. That's our #6 ticked off for the next decade or so.

Ecstatic about this move.  

My literal reaction when I saw the alert on the golf course

source.gif

My perfect window would be something like this:

Forward (Pulisic/Draxler/Dembele/Lemar)
AM (Fekir)
CM (Maddison/Neves)
DM (Fabinho)
CB (?)
LB (Sessengon)
GK (Oblak/Alison/Donurama)

Do that while selling off some of the deadwood it's a home run summer.

Edited by maninblack
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, TKS said:

They got Fabinho leaning against a Melwood wall before most LFC fans knew he was an actual transfer target.

Funny thing is that the Brazil NT is in Liverpool for a friendly vs Croatia, but Fabinho isn't on the roster.

I’m in that camp.  From all indications a GREAT fit. Killing it so far. Need to get Emre to Italy and be done with it. 

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think we will get another CM. I just don’t see Klopp being willing to spend with options of Ox, Milner, Lallana, Gini, etc.

I'd agree probably not this year but wouldn't be shocked if the right player is available which is why I listed Maddison (21) and Neves (21).  Either could rotate in multiple positions and provide quality depth with little drop off. They can also be loaned back a la K8A. Those two are also only going to get more expensive.

Milner and Lallana will be gone within 2-3 years because of their age. Ox is a wildcard b/c of his injury history.

Edited by maninblack
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Fabinho was heavily linked with United last summer during the Monaco fire sale. I was pissed they were going to land him – he's a big, ball-winning bastard with a great range of passing. £40-£45M is a steal in the current market and we get him in on July 1. That's our #6 ticked off for the next decade or so.

Ecstatic about this move.  

100%. He is the DM we've all wanted. Tall, strong & smart on the ball. With Keita an obvious starter, does this mean the end of Henderson's captainship?

I wouldn't read this chart to determine who's better than who but it is a decent look at what some of each players tendencies are in the midfield. This is from last season domestic and European games even though it says 18/19.

DeXAu8uXcAAOrbh.jpg:large

Edited by maninblack
  • Like 1

This has scratched an 8 year itch for me. I’ve been wanting a top tier DMF to anchor our midfield since Masch was sold. Pumped. 

Also, 

I’m excited for the different formations we can utilize in midfield/attack next year depending on the opponent. With keita/Fabinho and maybe Fekir (or someone similar) we have a lot more tools in our toolbox for Klopp to utilize. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn

I assume we'll play a diamond with Keita as the bottom point. Fabinho and (Milner/Henderson) as the other deep CM?

Unless we pick up Fekir and then he'd be the bottom point of the diamond. Not sure about Keita as a deep CM though.

It would be a great problem to try to figure out.

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So what's the formation with Keita and Fabinho? Milner off the bench?

I think it'll be flexible depending on opposition but in general I'd still expect a midfield 3 most of the time. If Klopp does get Fekir then he could use a 4-2-3-1 which dominated his time at Dortmund but we haven't seen here yet. 

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I think it'll be flexible depending on opposition but in general I'd still expect a midfield 3 most of the time. If Klopp does get Fekir then he could use a 4-2-3-1 which dominated his time at Dortmund but we haven't seen here yet. 

Is Keita a decent enough defender to play deep CM in this formation?

Think of it more staggered with interchange than a static 2. Fabinho would hold the position in front of the CB's most of the time so the defensive responsibilities Keita would have would be more pressing from deep rather than defending from deep.

I wouldn't worry too much about formation. If we have quality the formation will figure itself out.