$8 Million NIL deal....for a class of 2023 prospect

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

someone is going to fuck up their taxes and see jail time 

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I can also see kids signing for $8 million, and they and their impressionable parents seeing a fraction, because of some financial advisor.

If it can happen to professional athletes, you know it will happen to 18-20 year olds who are more interested in slaying pussy than paying attention to the details.

Do y'all not realize that every year, a bunch of 18-yo baseball players are given millions of dollars without significant scandals ensuing?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

UCLA should just fold the football program.  No way we play in this stratosphere.

You would figure UCLA could be a force in this era if the alumni/administration get their shit together. Hell, Chip is custom made for NIL recruiting thanks to Phil Knight.

Just now, Vertigo said:

You would figure UCLA could be a force in this era if the alumni/administration get their shit together. Hell, Chip is custom made for NIL recruiting thanks to Phil Knight.

I agree.  Casey Wasserman is one of our biggest benefactors and he runs a world class talent agency.  He could set this shit up in a heartbeat.  We alway move too slowly on this shit.

18 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Do y'all not realize that every year, a bunch of 18-yo baseball players are given millions of dollars without significant scandals ensuing?

Absolutely.   I also see kids at 19 sign NBA contracts worth millions, shoe deals for millions and whatnot and aren't taken to the cleaners by their representation.  But it can and does happen.  

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Nonsense. its just various degrees of the same shit. Kids are now getting paid to play college football and they are going to get as much money as they possibly can. Does it matter if a schools directly pays them, or a bunch of their alumni band together and pay them under some fucking sham NIL. Not to me. Its basically pro football with no salary cap and free agency. I dont really give a fuck who pays what to whom at this point. 

I want kids to get paid to play college football, fuck, I’m paying enough of them currently but they are all enrolled athletes at a university(not even this university) ….this is them paying a fucking high school kid to go to their school, this is different and disgusting. It’s what aggy is doing but publicly 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

If you haven’t see the difference in the past 10 years I don’t know what to tell you. You’re just looking at the recruiting aspect. The entitlement, which has already been steadily growing as evidenced by all the opting out immediate transfer, will get out of control.

@immamac can we get an eyeroll neutral reaction?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, immamac said:

It’s almost like they ain’t come to play school 

8 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

And until that "entitlement" manifests on the field in some way... don't care.

I guess an argument could be made that this will "ruin" HS football due to players sitting out to protect NIL deals, but that's a separate question.

We have amazing CFB players only putting in two years on the field before going to the NFL.

RUINED!!!!

Just remember, these kids aren’t being paid to play.

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Because you’re living in a fairy tale world where everyone follows the same rules and shit. Teams that want to, will push those rules and find every loop hole they can. 

Lol ok sure, no one is in this space more than me and my compatriots. We know what a real deal is and what should fly and this ain’t it chief. I’m not oblivious that people are using it to cheat, I’m saying that it’s fucking gross to use it as a method to cheat when there are legal means to accomplish the same thing. It also paints the rest of us in a very negative light

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Lol ok sure, no one is in this space more than me and my compatriots. We know what a real deal is and what should fly and this ain’t it chief. I’m not oblivious that people are using it to cheat, I’m saying that it’s fucking gross to use it as a method to cheat when there are legal means to accomplish the same thing. It also paints the rest of us in a very negative light

But  that's the thing....because you and your people do things to the letter of the law and what is or isn't doesn't mean other schools are going to go about the business the same way. 

9 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Just remember, these kids aren’t being paid to play.

Of course they are paid to play. They always have been. A strong majority of CFB players would not be attending those universities otherwise. I'm not a "scholarships are enough!" guy, but that ain't nothing. Universities give academically-unworthy (in terms of general admissions) people food, lodging, an extremely valuable education, and unbeatable personal marketing opportunities.

And world-class facilities. And free clothes. And on and on and on and on....

All BEFORE bags/NIL.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Of course they are paid to play. They always have been. A strong majority of CFB players would not be attending those universities otherwise. I'm not a "scholarships are enough!" guy, but that ain't nothing. Universities give academically-unworthy (in terms of general admissions) people food, lodging, an extremely valuable education, and unbeatable personal marketing opportunities.

And world-class facilities. And free clothes. And on and on and on and on....

All BEFORE bags/NIL.

They were getting bags to attend a university with no guarantees of ever playing. Now it’s suitcases of money. Eight million dollars dwarfs anything these guys have ever received in the past and they aren’t under contract to play. This guy could pull a Quinn and never do anything for the school he’s getting all this money from. They’re not getting paid to play because that can’t be part of the contract.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

LOL, another NIL thread about a school-other-than-Texas where @RGBIII is immediately shitting on it and telling everyone how "illegal" it is!  We get it dude we heard the podcast, you spent 30 years studying the in's-and-out's of NIL law and you know it better than the compliance departments, yada yada yada.

I'm fairly certain you haven't seen the contract this recruit signed.  You're reading a 2nd or 3rd hand characterization of it and making black and white assumptions.  That's dumb.  With the lawyers involved, it's probably legal.  "Spirit" of NIL is just bullshit that people trot out when they feel mad that someone else got one over on them.

Not illegal:

• Not inducement: it's written into the terms itself per the Athletic.  You can argue all you want about how this contract and aggy are actually bags and they'll cut off the players but ain't none of that in the contract itself and verbal doesn't count.
  • Not pay for play: the player can go to another school from wherever he originally signs and retain the benefit of the contract, JUST LIKE JARED WILEY is with Burnt Ends (said you on the podcast) even though he's transferred to TCU.
  • Not a college-enrolled student-athlete: you're getting your panties knotted on this. Per Opendorse, if this recruit is in California (likely), Utah, Nebraska, Kansas, New York and a number of other states they are legally allowed to sign NIL deals as a high-school student.  Unlike QE here in Texas unfortunately.

Aside from definitely not being illegal, even if it were, who exactly is going to enforce any rules breaking?  Not the toothless NCAA.  So long as a NIL collective can provide the basic stamp of legality, we'll see the edges on this keep getting pushed out further and further until someone finds a line to cross.  Of course that won't be Texas, because we're purer than the driven snow, by gaud.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Clearly the contract is technically gonna be legal. Otherwise they wouldn’t be advertising it and eventually submitting it to the NCAA. It’s def a loophole and against the spirit of NIL, but what a shocker that people found loopholes. Recruiting CA is now just free agency, plain and simple.

Im curious how the third-party NIL ownership works though. Does the kid have a say in what it gets used for? Does he get any continued royalty on those deals? If he leaves TN, would they keep getting deals for him to recoup their investment, or would they just not let him do any more deals as punishment?

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

LOL, another NIL thread about a school-other-than-Texas where @RGBIII is immediately shitting on it and telling everyone how "illegal" it is!  We get it dude we heard the podcast, you spent 30 years studying the in's-and-out's of NIL law and you know it better than the compliance departments, yada yada yada.

I'm fairly certain you haven't seen the contract this recruit signed.  You're reading a 2nd or 3rd hand characterization of it and making black and white assumptions.  That's dumb.  With the lawyers involved, it's probably legal.  "Spirit" of NIL is just bullshit that people trot out when they feel mad that someone else got one over on them.

Not illegal:

• Not inducement: it's written into the terms itself per the Athletic.  You can argue all you want about how this contract and aggy are actually bags and they'll cut off the players but ain't none of that in the contract itself and verbal doesn't count.
  • Not pay for play: the player can go to another school from wherever he originally signs and retain the benefit of the contract, JUST LIKE JARED WILEY is with Burnt Ends (said you on the podcast) even though he's transferred to TCU.
  • Not a college-enrolled student-athlete: you're getting your panties knotted on this. Per Opendorse, if this recruit is in California (likely), Utah, Nebraska, Kansas, New York and a number of other states they are legally allowed to sign NIL deals as a high-school student.  Unlike QE here in Texas unfortunately.

Aside from definitely not being illegal, even if it were, who exactly is going to enforce any rules breaking?  Not the toothless NCAA.  So long as a NIL collective can provide the basic stamp of legality, we'll see the edges on this keep getting pushed out further and further until someone finds a line to cross.  Of course that won't be Texas, because we're purer than the driven snow, by gaud.

Yep.

And these schools have the money to hammer out the ambiguity in court. Its not the the NCAA is going to take away NCs. 

This is the wildest time when financial regulations are first employed. There’s so many situations that can contradict the intention of the law. Instead of Demas going to Tomball, who’s to say he doesn’t go to CA? 

Everyone is battening for position right now and UT is trying to high-road it, but everyone else is calling the white collar criminal accounting experts to learn how to fuck this system sideways. Its going to 3-5 years before the NCAA can get a handle on this and is probably going to be because of sad stories of kids burning up in a white hot ball of drugs, money and fury.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Not illegal:

LOL another thread about the NIL where people are talking out of their ass. The contract is legal by the law, how could it now be if they are fucking advertising it. That doesn’t mean it’s not fucking gross and blatant with what they are doing. People are paying a high school kid to play at their university, full stop. It’s gross regardless of the method. “Not an inducement”  is hilarious, get ready for that to be written into every single NIL deal now (mine included) that phrase written into a contract absolves them entirely? Wild. The kid is in CA, not hard to know who and which school by now. I’m mad cause this reflects poorly on all NIL collectives including the ones I’ve worked pretty fucking hard on, maybe you would feel the same if you’ve had your name drug through the mud by morons like Darren Rovell for months (curiously silent on this one…)Also people listen to the pod?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

That doesn’t mean it’s not fucking gross and blatant with what they are doing. People are paying a high school kid to play at their university, full stop.

I'm trying to figure out why this is considered to be such a horrible thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

For me it’s because it’s not a level playing field. Quinn Ewers would have been at Texas last year if it was 

Sounds like your problem is with the TX lege, not with whoever "they" is who are doing "fucking gross and blatant" stuff?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Sounds like your problem is with the TX lege, not with whoever "they" is who are doing "fucking gross and blatant" stuff?

4 minutes ago, SDG said:

That’s a state law problem…

It is a state law problem and it’s going to be a slippery slope when top HS talent from Texas moves to California just so a group in Alabama can buy a kid. This was a Tennessee group buying a Cali kid, that’s the start. And really my problem is with the NCAA and enforcement, they are toothless and have not the slightest modicum of an idea of how to corral this and get the NIL to work for it’s intended use 

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

It is a state law problem and it’s going to be a slippery slope when top HS talent from Texas moves to California just so a group in Alabama can buy a kid. This was a Tennessee group buying a Cali kid, that’s the start. And really my problem is with the NCAA and enforcement, they are toothless and have not the slightest modicum of an idea of how to corral this and get the NIL to work for it’s intended use 

Dear gawd, not slippery slopes!  And what is the "intended use" for NIL and why does this fall outside of it?

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Dear gawd, not slippery slopes!  And what is the "intended use" for NIL and why does this fall outside of it?

Exactly. RGBIII seems to feel there is a material difference between generically announcing "come to Texas and play [this position] and you will get paid [X] dollars" and "hey kid, here's [X] dollars, hope you come to Tenn". I just see it as different degrees of the same bullshit. Many kids will ultimately choose a school now based on who offers the best financial package. The order of operations to me is meaningless, the end result is the same.

Also, anyone that believes Ewers agreed to transfer to Texas without multiple conversations about what he "might" get paid is a fool. I'm supposed to believe that the #1 transfer in the country, a guy that supposedly signed a $1M+ NIL deal in Ohio, just picked Texas with no understanding of what was waiting for him, and how that might compare to others schools? 

Lucille #Arresteddevelopment #Wink #Winkwink GIF by Arrested Development -  Find & Share on GIPHY

We bought him. That's how it works now. I didnt notice much outrage around these parts when it worked in our favor. This is college football. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Exactly. RGBIII seems to feel there is a material difference between generically announcing "come to Texas and play [this position] and you will get paid [X] dollars" and "hey kid, here's [X] dollars, hope you come to Tenn". I just see it as different degrees of the same bullshit. Many kids will ultimately choose a school now based on who offers the best financial package. The order of operations to me is meaningless, the end result is the same.

Also, anyone that believes Ewers agreed to transfer to Texas without multiple conversations about what he "might" get paid is a fool. I'm supposed to believe that the #1 transfer in the country, a guy that supposedly signed a $1M+ NIL deal in Ohio, just picked Texas with no understanding of what was waiting for him, and how that might compare to others schools? 

Lucille #Arresteddevelopment #Wink #Winkwink GIF by Arrested Development -  Find & Share on GIPHY

We bought him. That's how it works now. I didnt notice much outrage around these parts when it worked in our favor. This is college football. 

For this reason I wonder if NIL isn't better targeted at the transfer portal guys who can't leave after they transfer (grads excepted), unlike recruits who can take the money and run (hi QE!) 

On 3/11/2022 at 9:59 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

From reading the article it sounds like it’s an NIL deal from a particular school, but it can’t be worded that way or it violates the rules.  Theoretically he could sign the deal and play for a different school, but the rights to his name and likeness would still be held by this school’s collective and he couldn’t do any paid appearances for the school he plays for.  This whole NIL deal is crazy and I think it’s going to be the end of real college football.

That ship sailed years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

These kids are participants in a multi-billion dollar business, let's stop pretending they're attending university to Play School

And no, im NOT saying the scholly kids getting free housing and tuition is not enough "payment" for them... i'm saying the ones whose talent warrant more should be unemcumbered to collect more

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

13 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:
Coach Saban done told y’all.

Ummm, Saban was perfectly content to deploy his NFL-lite system at Bama for over a decade with dominant results. Of course he doesn't want a legitimate system to encroach upon his tried and true bag man & under the table system.

don't think for once saban and the bama boosters aren't doing the same or more...they don't talk about it though....that's the key.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, Horn of Gabriel said:

Not illegal:

Well, one of the problems with all this is that it's a legal twilight zone.  

Nothing is made illegal by Texas' (and most) NIL laws except the university/institution trying to enforce old-style NCAA rules.  The laws tie the university/instititution's hands.  And some of the "laws" aren't even enforceable laws, they're "executive orders."

Nothing the player does is made illegal or unlawful.  Nothing the counterparty does is made illegal or unlawful.  They might be exposed to some form of sanction from the university/institution, but only if it "feels like it."  

I'm not sure where the NCAA is going to come out of this, as it still has some degree of power, but is probably afraid to exercise it lest it lose another lawsuit and get completely wrecked.

I'm not a big fan of federal legislation, but because the problem arises out of antitrust law, the solution here has to be federal.  If not an outright exemption, then a limited set of regulations that force the stakeholders to "behave" to some extent. And it has to include penalties of some sort for universities, athletes, and the "collectives" and purchasers of NIL services.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not a big fan of federal legislation, but because the problem arises out of antitrust law, the solution here has to be federal.  If not an outright exemption, then a limited set of regulations that force the stakeholders to "behave" to some extent. And it has to include penalties of some sort for universities, athletes, and the "collectives" and purchasers of NIL services.

Bwahahahahaha. We think things are f’d up now?  Let’s get some federal regulators involved.  FAFO.

You’re right that only a federal solution will “fix” this. However, I have full confidence that if it comes to that, the solution will be even worse than the problem. 
CFB in 10 years is not even going to resemble CFB of 2020. We’re seeing the beginning of the end. 

• Rage+1 1

On 3/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Highschool football careers will now span 10-11th grade. Skip senior year to work with private trainer. Get the bag. Play 1-2 years of college then nfl.  

genius 

Out of all that negative shit, one small positive. The 5’8” 170 running back may actually get to play his senior year. So that’s nice I guess