Texas vs Va Tech - Friday, 3:30pm on TBS

shadow_operative

22 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Warm fuzzies all around. This is what we hired Beard for.

Happiest for Jones, Ramey, Febres and Cunningham, who have seen little postseason success outside of last year's Big 12 Tournament and that 2019 NIT run. 

Saddest for Tre Mitchell. Seems like a good kid that was led astray by a helicopter parent. You're missing out, Tre.

I never heard why Mitchell left. What were the details?

48 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Offensively yes.  But he eats fouls when Bishop sits and occasionally gets a rebound.  And he gets under the skin of pussies.  

He might be the lowest IQ player on the team as well. He has his moments of clutchness, like the pass he zinged to Ramey for the wide open 3. Then the 90 seconds was him at his worst.

7 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Uhh, I was asking for my son. That's it. I lean to the more mature gash.

Dibs on "Mature Gash" for my band name playing after we beat Purdue at SXSW on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

8? Dude, it’s been 14. One first round win in 14 fucking years. All those NBA players with nothing to show for it, and this roster full of players from the Island of Misfit Toys, an all star squad of losers, comes together to play amazing defense to show us what a team that’s actually been coaches really looks like. So excited for the future. 

I'm using Island of Misfit Toys for my post-hardcore band name.  Thanks.

Edit: Someone is going to "it's from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer!!1" me, so I'm going to add this edit.

Edited by OU Sucks

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Aggy gonna aggy, no matter the state

Weirdest thing to me about that tweet is Tech def does not need any charity from the likes of aggy or VaTech. If anything, given the performance of those two programs, I'd wager the Red Raiders would prefer not to be lumped in with them.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Struggled most of the game but scored 7 of his 10 points in the final 4 minutes. Clutch time for Ramey.

Assigned their best offensive player and completely shut him down. Per usual. It was a team effort because Ramey wasn’t face guarding him, but it was mostly Ramey on Cattoor. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, shadow_operative said:

really tough matchup with a pretty damn good team. the team whose guards play better will win, imo.

Gotta rep the thread starter for this critical W.

Also, I'd say his analysis was correct and that Texas' guards were the cream of the crop today (Ramey's D and Jones and Carr's shooting).

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Assigned their best offensive player and completely shut him down. Per usual. It was a team effort because Ramey wasn’t face guarding him, but it was mostly Ramey on Cattoor. 

It's why I feel like Ivey is going to struggle on Sunday. I said earlier this week that Ivey and Cattoor likely haven't had many defenders like Ramey play them this year. 1 down, 1 to go.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

8? Dude, it’s been 14. One first round win in 14 fucking years. All those NBA players with nothing to show for it, and this roster full of players from the Island of Misfit Toys, an all star squad of losers, comes together to play amazing defense to show us what a team that’s actually been coaches really looks like. So excited for the future. 

Wait wut?

Per wiki:

2008 (2) First Round
Second Round
Sweet Sixteen
Elite Eight
(15) Austin Peay
(7) Miami (FL)
(3) Stanford
(1) Memphis
W 74–54
W 75–72
W 82–62
L 66–85
2009 (7) First Round
Second Round
(10) Minnesota
(2) Duke
W 76–62
L 69–74
2010 (8) First Round (9) Wake Forest L 80–81OT
2011* (4) Second Round*
Third Round*
(13) Oakland
(5) Arizona
W 85–81
L 69–70
2012* (11) Second Round* (6) Cincinnati L 59–65
2014* (7) Second Round*
Third Round*
(10) Arizona State
(2) Michigan
W 87–85
L 65–79
2015* (11) Second Round* (6) Butler L 48–56
2016 (6) First Round (11) Northern Iowa L 72–75
2018 (10) First Round (7) Nevada L 83–87OT
2021 (3) First Round (14) Abilene Christian L 52–53
2022 (6) First Round
Second Round
(11) Virginia Tech
(3) Purdue
W 81-73
TBD
Edited by Biff Tannen
*Following the introduction of the "First Four" round in 2011, the Round of 64 and Round of 32 were referred to as the Second Round and Third Round, respectively, from 2011 to 2015.[198]

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

can you believe that's our last tourney win? all of that changes about 15 hours from now. WE'RE DOING THIS! 🤘🏼 

it's done. our last tourney win was now ~2 hours ago. god that feels good to be able to say. Coach Beard now 5-0 in first round games, and that's at three different schools. Texas fans have been clamoring for a tourney coach. well, we got one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I was most impressed that when the scoring died with about 12-14 minutes left (if I recall) and Texas up 10 to 12 the defense did not stop it kept up and prevented VT from closing in on Texas

there were some bad 3s jacked up during that time, and I know Texas had some good 3 point shooting earlier on so that is a bit of a concern....but happy with the intensity of the D never slowing down

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

it's done. our last tourney win was now ~2 hours ago. god that feels good to be able to say. Coach Beard now 5-0 in first round games, and that's at three different schools. Texas fans have been clamoring for a tourney coach. well, we got one. 

It's been a while. Thank God we finally feel like a normal basketball team again.