Severance (Apple TV)

austingirl

On 4/19/2022 at 2:40 PM, Vito Andolini said:

I thought it was ten episodes so we finished Ep. 9 with great anticipation for the big finale… and shit, no more resolution! 

I did the same! Wife was mad at me for telling her we had two left and all of a sudden the menu is pitching us other shows.

It was a great watch, but reading critic/audience speculation somehow makes me less interested in future seasons. Kind of like Westworld where the more they show behind the curtain, the explanations can't live up to the fascination of the first season.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I did the same! Wife was mad at me for telling her we had two left and all of a sudden the menu is pitching us other shows.

It was a great watch, but reading critic/audience speculation somehow makes me less interested in future seasons. Kind of like Westworld where the more they show behind the curtain, the explanations can't live up to the fascination of the first season.

Ha, wife got mad at me, too. Mine, not yours. Unless it’s the same person, which may be possible in a Sever-ed world.

Your Westworld concern holds water, and it’s why I made my LOST creators wise crack… it’s very possible Ben Stiller & Co. have no fucking idea how to maintain this, much less resolve it. 

And it’s funny how I’ve seen comments about the outstanding cinematography, when (though true), much of it is fluorescently overexposed and the color palate is blue, gray, pale flesh tones, blue-gray, green, (snow) white, Irv black, Helly’s hair and whatever she is wearing. Lots of Kubrick style in the framing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:12 PM, wutang75 said:

I think my favorite thing about this series is that I’m excited as hell for season 2 and we haven’t even touched on what the f the company does or what they are doing there for work. So many compelling plot points.

i assumed the company's primary focus was exploring the possibilities and testing the limits of severance itself.

oversimplistic tasks, pointless assignments, childlike reward system, isolated groupings.  these people are literally "hours" old even after working there for a few weeks, so they're treating them like toddlers and building their internal behavioral set from scratch.

at one point someone even said "so now we know it works" when someone met someone on the outside world.  i'm sure there are easter eggs and online theories (of which i've read none) but this was my first instinct.  i may be way off, it happens.

On 4/21/2022 at 12:03 PM, henrygandorf said:

i assumed the company's primary focus was exploring the possibilities and testing the limits of severance itself.

oversimplistic tasks, pointless assignments, childlike reward system, isolated groupings.  these people are literally "hours" old even after working there for a few weeks, so they're treating them like toddlers and building their internal behavioral set from scratch.

at one point someone even said "so now we know it works" when someone met someone on the outside world.  i'm sure there are easter eggs and online theories (of which i've read none) but this was my first instinct.  i may be way off, it happens.

Just finished. I agree that the severance employees are not performing any real tasks but rather just testing out the severance process.

hence why ms. Casey is there and only infrequently awakened.

can’t wait for season 2

I finished this over the weekend, wife and I binged it pretty quick for like 2 weeks. SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD.

Love the mystery black box where we are learning along with the characters too.

Some thoughts on some previous comments:

On 4/9/2022 at 9:04 AM, Chet Steadman said:

Question about the final ep

Reveal hidden contents

Was that an older or cloned Mark outtie Helly was talking to at the ball?

Spoiler

She met two men at the Gala the first was the Senator as everyone has noted. The guy she met in the bathroom was her dad. 

As noted ...

On 4/9/2022 at 10:12 PM, austingirl said:

Hide contents

Mark was not at the gala in any way, shape or form. That was Arteta, the senator. The finale was fantastic. Mark yelling "she's alive!" will stick with me for a long time. I knew Helly was someone important but didn't guess she was an Egan till they briefly flashed to her outie in the second-to-last episode, and only after the second time I watched it - that's when I realized the background looked like the Lumon gala they were setting up for.

Also, poor Irv. You knew he was going to find Burt and his boyfriend/husband, but still.

On your last point on Irv

Spoiler

IMHO I think he is about to have a Mark-Ms Casey "She's alive" moment. I think that Irv and Burt are drawn together because they were together before severance. I mean Mark and Ms Casey seem to have something when they are together, which appears to be rooted in their love as outies.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:50 AM, Beau Vine said:

That was seriously a fucking masterpiece.

Yup. This was brilliant. 

On 4/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, wutang75 said:

I think my favorite thing about this series is that I’m excited as hell for season 2 and we haven’t even touched on what the f the company does or what they are doing there for work. So many compelling plot points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plus to me, they have setup so much for season 2 now with all of this.

On 4/17/2022 at 10:10 PM, austingirl said:

Yeah, but we did get a of the big questions answered - who was Helly's bitch outie, why was Irv always falling alseep, Mark and Mrs Cobel meeing outside as he is an innie to her outtie. And of course, Gemma! It could've been worse but I'm happy with what we got.

Cobel isn't severed, nor Graner. Milchick likely isn't either.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, henrygandorf said:

This is my feeling too. I am not sure they are doing anything all that important. It is just a test to see what they can do with this whole process.

On 5/1/2022 at 7:49 AM, Brandywine said:

Another series this kind of reminds me of is Counterpart with J. K. Simmons.  

I can see that.

On 5/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, Michael Knight said:

i dug it alot, but the end does piss you off.

Nah, I really think it set up so much stuff for season 2.

Spoiler

They have put all of the pieces in front of your for season 2. 

You now know about reintegration, which likely is what Mark is going to do when they explain everything that happened in that hour he was gone. In fact its setup perfectly (almost) for that because Corbel wasn't at the party when overtime ended,

Almost - because Corbel and others know reintegration is possible, so they will be watching. 

The only real big question remaining for now is what is the fallout of the innies triggering overtime?

One nerdy thing I found in the wild:

And for those still here - this feels a lot like another show that AppleTV+ is working on - Wool.

I read the book. Like this, there isn't much you want to reveal, as the reveal is part of the show, but I think it shows that AppleTV is in on this stuff and will do a great job with it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

And for those still here - this feels a lot like another show that AppleTV+ is working on - Wool.

I read the book. Like this, there isn't much you want to reveal, as the reveal is part of the show, but I think it shows that AppleTV is in on this stuff and will do a great job with it.

apple+ has shown repeatedly they're all about quality over quantity.

note to netflix - this is why you fail.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

have just gotten through this. very surprised there isn’t more discussion on it.

Spoiler

I need to watch the finale again but it looked like Irving’s outie investigating Lumon. Are we to infer that he was having some crossover memories from work? I was sleepy and wasn’t paying close attention but it seemed like his outie had knowledge of what was going on inside Lumon and was investigating it. Can anyone clarify what was going on there? Not the paintings, the paperwork and research he seemed to have been doing that his innie stumbled upon while in his house.

Started this on Sunday night and finished it today. Fucking incredible. Loved it. Can't wait for Season 2. Finale answered just enough questions and set in motion a ton of shit for season 2. 

I figure that I don't have to spoiler anything at this point, as the series is like two months old now. But plot-discussion below....

Obviously outie Irv's having crossover memories, as he's been obsessively painting the entrance to the testing floor, probably because he's been sent down there to "reset" multiple times. As for why he's investigating Lumon, who fucking knows. I'm inferring that people who have been severed either are experiencing these "crossover" memories leading them to investigate Lumon. Or that they just have a sense that something is fucked up. What I don't understand is why these "outies" continue to go to work if they're feeling something isn't right about what's going on with their "innie" selves. I think they'll have to address that in season 2. If Irv think's something's fucked up, why doesn't he just stop going to work and get a new job?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 8:19 PM, YChang said:

I think it’s in the main Apple TV thread but yeah 5 eps in myself and this show is so very werid, but in a good/interesting way. 

This is exactly where I'm at after last night. I'll finish it by this weekend. I've got many questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished.  As has been said, the middle dragged, but the finale was awesome.  One thing I didn't get was when the innies were on the outside in the finale, why didn't they then just have ALL their memories back?  By that I mean, if they were "unsevered" temporarily, why wouldn't their brains just reconnect both realities and figure everything out immediately?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

By that I mean, if they were "unsevered" temporarily, why wouldn't their brains just reconnect both realities and figure everything out immediately?

well there's a literal chip inside their brain physically separating the innie and the outie, for one lol. That was the whole thing with Petey - he got his severance chip removed and was able to reintegrate, and then died

well there's a literal chip inside their brain physically separating the innie and the outie, for one lol. That was the whole thing with Petey - he got his severance chip removed and was able to reintegrate, and then died

I thought Petey didn’t get it removed, because the Patricia Arquette character had to go retrieve it from his corpse for analysis.

Just finished.  As has been said, the middle dragged, but the finale was awesome.  One thing I didn't get was when the innies were on the outside in the finale, why didn't they then just have ALL their memories back?  By that I mean, if they were "unsevered" temporarily, why wouldn't their brains just reconnect both realities and figure everything out immediately?

Because when they go up the elevator at Lumen, that’s where the A/B switch is for their innie. The switch goes “A” for work when they arrive and goes “B” for home as they descend. Two separated brains. The plan was for the innie/Lumen/A section of the brain to only be developing at Lumen.

When the innies discovered they were all equipped with a remote “A” switch, they realized their A brain could see what their B brain saw - not access the B brain, just have the A brain live for a moment in the B brains world. But there are still two separate brains/memories.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:01 PM, Biff Tannen said:

They weren't un-severed, they were just flipped to their innie self. The controls are automatic via the elevator, but it clearly can be done anywhere remotely (see the Senator's wife and Dylan when he was at home).

• 4 months later...

Just watched this and thought it was great. 

One question though. It's clear the workers are in there doing bullshit work and the real product is the chip and its research. Why is it that Milchick thought it was so important to find out what Dylan did with the O&D card that he risked flipping the switch outside?

• 2 weeks later...

This show is phenomenal. I'm a sucker for well-done dystopian themes, mega-corporate intrigue and just oddball shit. Basically checks all the boxes. 

Here's a recent interview with Erickson about season 2. Not many tidbits, other than naming some new actors: Gwendoline Christie, Bob Balaban, and Alia Shawkat

https://www.tvinsider.com/1077235/severance-season-2-new-cast-britt-lower-helly/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/22/2022 at 11:01 PM, futureman said:

have just gotten through this. very surprised there isn’t more discussion on it.

Reveal hidden contents

I need to watch the finale again but it looked like Irving’s outie investigating Lumon. Are we to infer that he was having some crossover memories from work? I was sleepy and wasn’t paying close attention but it seemed like his outie had knowledge of what was going on inside Lumon and was investigating it. Can anyone clarify what was going on there? Not the paintings, the paperwork and research he seemed to have been doing that his innie stumbled upon while in his house.

That threw me for a loop also. Reminded me of Jack and his work in "Through the Looking Glass" on Lost.

17 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I just finished season 1 and it is absolutely fantastic. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time. I will definitely be setting up an egg bar for the season 2 premiere. And, hey, maybe my wife will let me have a full waffle party.

I would absolutely attend said egg bar social ... it's coveted as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Just finished the season last night. Very intriguing ride! Gave it a solid 7.5/10. I'll be waiting for Season 2, but something about how they ended the season has me worried about a Westworld-style path forward. We got a few answers and moved the story forward, but Lumon's work is still so shady, it makes me wonder what we really know about what they've already accomplished, what we really know about the chip, about the outside world and what technology has already advanced, etc. Here's to hoping they don't lose me after season 2 like Westworld did. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know what's taking so long to produce a S2 of Severance but filming just got shut down in NYC due to the writers strike.

As film and television writers head into their second week on strike, they are turning up the heat on Hollywood executives by shutting down production on shows that are actively filming, planning their picket lines right outside studios and production locations.

Early Monday morning, picketing writers halted filming on the New York set of Season 2 of the acclaimed Apple TV+ series “Severance.” Crew members on the show refused to cross the picket line in solidarity with the writers.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/striking-writers-shut-down-production-165554592.html

https://deadline.com/2023/05/writers-strike-severance-production-apple-series-shuts-down-1235359160/