Tokyo Vice. Michael Mann. HBO Max.

Parliament

1 hour ago, Deej said:

The book was fantastic, if that's what it's based on. 

Is this the erotic novel about an American in his early 20s who doesn't know what to do with himself, but doesn't want to start working a corporate job in the US, so he goes to Japan, and he's teaching Japanese people how to speak English, with some American slang thrown in, and there's this one Japanese woman in her 40s who wants her teen daughter to learn English, and the mom can't afford the lessons (and she doesn't even speak English herself), so she bangs the guy every week as payment, and it was published by Blue Moon Books Inc. written like 20 years ago or so?

Wait, that maybe Tokyo Story, which was a prequel to Yakuza Perfume about the guy and his brother stealing some perfume that makes women horny.

I might be mixing those up, it was a long time ago.

Is this the erotic novel about an American in his early 20s who doesn't know what to do with himself, but doesn't want to start working a corporate job in the US, so he goes to Japan, and he's teaching Japanese people how to speak English, with some American slang thrown in, and there's this one Japanese woman in her 40s who wants her teen daughter to learn English, and the mom can't afford the lessons (and she doesn't even speak English herself), so she bangs the guy every week as payment, and it was published by Blue Moon Books Inc. written like 20 years ago or so?
Wait, that maybe Tokyo Story, which was a prequel to Yakuza Perfume about the guy and his brother stealing some perfume that makes women horny.

I should move to Japan to teach English.

On 3/14/2022 at 5:28 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Youre thinking of Rochelle Rochelle.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
Does Japan have any actors that can speak English other than Ken Watanabe? 

...maybe none of the other actors were willing to bang the English tutor. 

Twilight Samurai guy (westworld, godzilla movies, marvel movies i think ).

On 3/14/2022 at 11:28 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Late to this thread. 

Shark Tank Writing GIF

I have watched all 3 episodes available so far and am really digging it.

Toughest part for me is seeing Baby from Baby Driver with long hair and talking a lot, even if it is Japanese.   But I give the guy full kudos - apparently he learned Japanese when he landed the part.   Ken Watanabe is great.  Blond "hottie" is only so-so, guessing she was hired more for language skills that hotness.

2 hours ago, Duckman said:

Blond "hottie" is only so-so, guessing she was hired more for language skills that hotness.

went digging because i remember her butt last night when getting caught up.  she was the gerhardt daughter in season 2 of fargo.  looks different.  i dig her stuff.

On 4/8/2022 at 6:19 AM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Since teaching English in Japan came up in conversation, I'll throw in a funny story. 

I taught English in Tokyo as a young man. Had no clue how to teach, they just hand you a book and tell you to get with it. I should point out, the three things we were never allowed to discuss in the classroom were sex, drugs and World War II. Rock-n-roll was fine. Just no sex, drugs and war.  

My highest-level class during my first month of employment was a pack of 8 housewives in their 40's. At that point in my life, I considered them all quite old. However, they spoke at a pretty advanced level and could carry on decent conversations. It was an enjoyable group. 

One day, we were working on hypothetical questions/second conditionals. The conversation steered towards bad habits such as smoking, chewing fingernails, etc. I asked the group....

'"Ladies, if there was one thing you wish you could stop doing right now, what would it be?" 

The class thought about it very quietly for a moment. Finally, one lady had an answer.

"You know, I really wish......I could stop.....masturbating." 

Total silence. 

I didn't know what to say. Without even thinking, I asked "Oh, really? Why?"

"Oh, it's just so troublesome. I started when I was in junior high school. Every month, my back hurts. I get cramping.......'. 

I immediately realized her mistake. 

"Oh, no. You mean menstruating. You wish you could stop menstruating." 

"Ah, yes. Menstruating. That's right. I wish I could stop." 

Now several hands shoot up and one student asks....."Sumimasen, what is 'masturbating'?"

Now I'm extremely embarrassed with where this is going. I quickly answer...."Ah, sex....one person." One student then realized the Japanese translation. "Ah, masu o kaku!" and they all broke out in laughter. 

Another student asked for the spelling. Reluctantly, I spelled it on the board. As I turn around to carry on with class, my British supervisor walks in to check on my lesson. You couldn't have timed it better. To say she had a look of horror on her face would be an understatement. 

Another student, in front of my supervisor, then asked me to explain menstruation. How do you answer this question to a group of women? Now my boss is mystified. How did a lesson on second conditionals turn into a lecture on masturbation? I simply asked the original student to explain it in Japanese. Again, they got a good laugh mainly due to my discomfort at the situation. I was convinced now that I was getting the boot. Fortunately, that didn't happen and I wasn't deported. 

So we have a classroom full of sexually-curious Japanese housewives, a British marm, and one male. I have to ask, what was your move after class was dismissed? I ask because I recently saw an online documentary about this very same subject and well ...

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I'm two episodes in and totally digging it. I'm surprised though there's no love interest. Any good looking gaijin with blonde hair and that fluent in Nihongo is getting laid. 

I know several guys that worked with Adelstein at the Yomiuri but they were at the English paper. Looking forward to them watching it to get their takes. 

One thing about the Yakuza, I always found them to be kind of comical. Definitely not in the same category as the Russian mob. 

First Japanese girl I ever dated was the daughter of a Yakuza member. We dated for 4 years. Great chick, still keep in touch. Anyway, her dad ran a red-light district somewhere around Asakusa. She didn't care for her father at all. When she was a kid, he fell in love with one of his prostitutes. She recalls going to Ueno Park one day with her dad and some strange woman. He eventually left them for this chick. He was arrested a few years later and she testified in court against her dad at age 11. She only saw him sparingly after getting released. 

A few months after we started dating, she told me I had to have a sit down dinner with both of her divorced parents at the apartment. It's unusual to meet Japanese parents when you're only casually dating. He definitely wanted to meet this gaijin dating his daughter. Definitely a memorable dinner. He wasn't impressed. 

I worked briefly at a small English school in Asakusa, pretty heavy Yak area. All of our Japanese staff were women. One day, a couple of Yakuza fellas came in wanting to speak to the manager. They were put in one of the classrooms until the manager finally came in and introduced herself. They repeated their request to speak to the manager but she replied that she was in fact the manager. They told her that they didn't do business with women and that they would return later to speak to a man. A few days later, they came back to find the same manager and - again - said they would return to talk to a man. They never came back. Weird.  

Edited by Sweetnsourpoke
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

54 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

I'm two episodes in and totally digging it. I'm surprised though there's no love interest. Any good looking gaijin with blonde hair and that fluent in Nihongo is getting laid. 

I know several guys that worked with Adelstein at the Yomiuri but they were at the English paper. Looking forward to them watching it to get their takes. 

One thing about the Yakuza, I always found them to be kind of comical. Definitely not in the same category as the Russian mob. 

First Japanese girl I ever dated was the daughter of a Yakuza member. We dated for 4 years. Great chick, still keep in touch. Anyway, her dad ran a red-light district somewhere around Asakusa. She didn't care for her father at all. When she was a kid, he fell in love with one of his prostitutes. She recalls going to Ueno Park one day with her dad and some strange woman. He eventually left them for this chick. He was arrested a few years later and she testified in court against her dad at age 11. She only saw him sparingly after getting released. 

A few months after we started dating, she told me I had to have a sit down dinner with both of her divorced parents at the apartment. It's unusual to meet Japanese parents when you're only casually dating. He definitely wanted to meet this gaijin dating his daughter. Definitely a memorable dinner. He wasn't impressed. 

I worked briefly at a small English school in Asakusa, pretty heavy Yak area. All of our Japanese staff were women. One day, a couple of Yakuza fellas came in wanting to speak to the manager. They were put in one of the classrooms until the manager finally came in and introduced herself. They repeated their request to speak to the manager but she replied that she was in fact the manager. They told her that they didn't do business with women and that they would return later to speak to a man. A few days later, they came back to find the same manager and - again - said they would return to talk to a man. They never came back. Weird.  

Great story. Compelling, and rich. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

those were actually the Yakarrenza

10 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

im waiting for that chick from epi 1 that was watching him study at the bar  to come back into play..

she was a cutie 

• Hook 'Em 1

I rewatched Episode 3. Sato’s big brother warned him about his temper, and then he puts a member in the hospital. He’s definitely in deep shit. What he brings the oyabun will be interesting. 

In for the Yakuza scenes. The Samantha scenes/storylines are painfully boring. Mann has got to jazz her up somehow. We get it. She’s a tough working girl with dreams. 

The Jake scenes/storylines were also very boring until the Yakuza shoved him in the back of the car. A mock execution where Jake shits his pants would be a great Sopranos homage.