West-Central Texas Wildfires

Rip76

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/news/local/texas-wildfire-eastland-county-updates-what-were-seeing-in-eastland-county-as-crews-battle-for-containment/287-5ac99c69-5941-41bd-aae8-01a8f27c4833

Morning update From Jeff Lindner

Eastland Complex Fire Update 9am 3/18:

Fire is nearly 40,000 acres and 2% contained. Winds will be increasing from the NW in the next few hours and the fires will continue to advance on their SE flanks. Evacuations remain in place…heed advice from local officials.

Crews will be attempting containment lines this morning with dozer crews and aviation resources while fire activity is down…activity will increase by late morning as winds increase and surface layer becomes deeply mixed. 

Other large significant fires continue to burn across WC and NW TX.

"West-central" is an interesting label for that part of Texas but I guess I've never thought about what I'd call that part of Texas. Northwest seems slightly more accurate. Or maybe southeast West Texas.

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

"West-central" is an interesting label for that part of Texas but I guess I've never thought about what I'd call that part of Texas. Northwest seems slightly more accurate. Or maybe Southeast West Texas.

I was waiting for that.  Didn’t know what else to call it.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

"West-central" is an interesting label for that part of Texas but I guess I've never thought about what I'd call that part of Texas. Northwest seems slightly more accurate. Or maybe Southeast West Texas.

I agree. I think of Comanche as Texas Hill Country but Eastland as more Fort Worthish.

"West-central" is an interesting label for that part of Texas but I guess I've never thought about what I'd call that part of Texas. Northwest seems slightly more accurate. Or maybe southeast West Texas.
The Big Country is how I've described that area. Most of that area is in the upper brazos basin. I tend to think of Texas Hill country as being the in the Colorado and Guadalupe basins west of 35.

Just heard on the local news in Abilene the Eastland complex fire has consumed 45K acres and is only 10% contained. Abilene was full of smoke yesterday afternoon. Cleared out overnight. Wind is still whipping and expected to increase tomorrow. It’s a tinderbox in the Big Country. More fires are expected. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

5 hours ago, Rip76 said:

I was waiting for that.  Didn’t know what else to call it.

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Wiki gives it as "central west"

Cross Timbers you danged carpet baggers!!

• Hook 'Em 1

One of CHIEF Jr.'s classmates is from Gorman, he said Carbon and Gorman are pretty much gone. My old roommate from De Leon is probably gonna loose his parent's house. I can see the smoke, here in Granbury, 50-60 miles away.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Looked out the west window.

Lindner

Smoke plumes once again developing downstream of the Eastland County Fire Complex. Active fire behavior is being observed again this afternoon.

1 fatality confirmed…Eastland County Deputy helping with evacuation efforts yesterday evening near Carbon TX was trapped and overrun by fire. 

Estimated 50 homes lost in Carbon TX. No structures lost in Gorman at this time. Additional structures have been lost between towns.

As winds subside this evening and vertical mixing decreases some of this smoke will little toward the surface over parts of SE TX with reduced visibility and odor. 

TFS has placed the area around the fire under a temporary flight restriction due to extensive aviation resources in use. This includes drones that can interfere with low flying aircraft.

8461B2F4-0E0B-42F4-B61B-8B3F623FB26D.jpeg

One of CHIEF Jr.'s classmates is from Gorman, he said Carbon and Gorman are pretty much gone. My old roommate from De Leon is probably gonna loose his parent's house. I can see the smoke, here in Granbury, 50-60 miles away.
CHIEF

Almost all of Gorman was saved last night. A few structures outside of town burned but the city itself is still very much intact.
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

you might have seen the hay field on fire just south of comanche peak idk

6 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Almost all of Gorman was saved last night. A few structures outside of town burned but the city itself is still very much intact.

Good to hear. I heard it fourth hand, kinda like playing telephone. When CHIEF Jr. told me, I kinda thought that a situation like that would be "bigger news".

2 hours ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

you might have seen the hay field on fire just south of comanche peak idk

Haven't even heard about anything on that. 

CHIEF

On 3/18/2022 at 2:08 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Draw a line from Lubbock to Baird to Sonora. Everything west of that is West Texas. Anything north of Lubbock is Oklamexico. And to hell with those ding dong daddy’s from Dumas that call themselves West Texas.

Fuck Stinnett too...Home of West Texas High School.

The Panhandle has 'dual citizenship between the Panhandle and West Texas.  You'll hear them both used interchangeably.  Eastland ain't West Texas.  It is in the Big Country.

5 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

High winds expected again today?
Got a buddy with land north of Lake Brownwood. Just built a hunter house and is stressing.
Need rain in a bad way
Damnit

highs of 80 and 21mph wind.  It's basically dry AF across that region

20220315_tx_none.png

Edited by slorch

I know a lot of guys working this one. A few nights ago they made some calculated decisions based on winds and fuel load, then headed out and made a stand. This was the night they saved the town of Gorman. One of my good friends happened to be the strike team leader that was assigned to defend this house overnight. da16dc12ca6086887e2f112b7551aacb.jpg

That house was 100% surrounded by fire.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Mom said one broke out near Bluffdale

3 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Don’t know if anyone has and friends or family in Lipan.

4BF2B1F1-06EE-49EE-BA0B-D30E2954DB05.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

BF32CE2D-01D7-4091-8B6F-48F7E4BF7A4D.jpeg

IMG-0460.jpg

This is the view of the Big L fire from the west side of our subdivision. I texted my cousin, he is a Weatherford firefighter, and in the direct path. Told him I had a pressure washer, 270 gallon tote, and a full bladder.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

Folks used to live in Odessa, so made the drive to/from Austin dozens of times.  I still remember the massive fire decades ago that damn near set all of Ranger Hill on ablaze.  The north side of 20 still has burnt our remnants of the fire.  I remember hundreds of fire trucks lined up on the westbound side of the road, helicopters dropping water.  It was wild.

That hill to me always signified "west" Texas in my mind.  Either heading to Coleman or Odessa, it was the marker.  It was also what kept you in or our of the area in the event of an ice storm.  Nothing gets up/down Ranger when it's icy.....especially the big rigs.  They fixed the gradient, but it was a steep bitch for a while.