West-Central Texas Wildfires

Rip76

For those that hunt around Kerrville a new fire ongoing on 479 near I-10. Too early for size estimate.

The fire east of Kerrville is 160 acres and 80% contained.

There’s another fire near camp wood. Still trying to get exact location of that one.

Castroville fire is still going. 980 acres. About 20% contained.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

For the first one I was in town. The second I lived out on 1441. 

Watched our neighbors house/barn/out buildings all go up. My folks had to cut the fence so they could drive away bc their entry gate was engulfed. Wild shit

• Like 1

Just now, hookemATL said:

21 area between Paige and McDade

yeah, it was bad out there. Somewhere I have pictures I took while delivering water to fire crews. 

for the first one when living in town we were ready to go. Plan was ex-wife and kids would get out of town. Then the damn roads closed. My friend and me put a canoe on the river and would go out that way. Not fun shit to think about. 

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

yeah, it was bad out there. Somewhere I have pictures I took while delivering water to fire crews. 

for the first one when living in town we were ready to go. Plan was ex-wife and kids would get out of town. Then the damn roads closed. My friend and me put a canoe on the river and would go out that way. Not fun shit to think about. 

My mom still has ptsd basically and each time we have to burn brush piles (rarer and rarer do we get the right conditions) it just totally sets her off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

For those that hunt around Kerrville a new fire ongoing on 479 near I-10. Too early for size estimate.

The fire east of Kerrville is 160 acres and 80% contained.

There’s another fire near camp wood. Still trying to get exact location of that one.

Castroville fire is still going. 980 acres. About 20% contained.

The 479 fire scares me. It is so windy and so dry out there. Gonna suck to replace all my toys in this economy. I pray the winds lay down and they can get that thing stopped.

• Hook 'Em 1

Drove through one that had just started just east of Iredell earlier.  Looked like this before we got up to it.   They hadn’t shut the freeway down yet, but there was zero visibility through the area.   

second pic is the fire that’s on Ft Hood  and just south of Gatesville as I was driving down Chapel Rd in Waco.   That’s about 45 miles away.  

A28B4ABE-5B14-43B6-884E-1D7FEADD9356.jpeg

9C674B11-80BC-4ADE-9A97-82A96A4B1D34.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

DasGoats is the early leader for "best name" but there is a lot of game plenty to play. 

Unfortunately it will get better. This year is going to be bad bad bad. If your local VFD is having a fundraiser please spare what you can. It’s way too early to have burned this much and it’s o my getting worse in the next 90 days
  • Hook 'Em 2

West Nueces fire west of camp wood is 5500 acres and 0% contained

Forest service says 1000 acres now. No explanation on the initial estimate of 5500. Still 0%.

Multiple reports of several other fires around camp wood.
Photo taken at end of county road 310 looking south.

bb3293a41c14e6019b46eddb37803778.jpg

14 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Can see and smell the smoke pretty strong in Fort Worth just from the Fort Hood fires 100 miles to the south.  (Radar shows the Iradell plumes running north, well to the west.)

Latest estimate is 17k+ acres and still 0% contained.  

I've never driven 6/281/16 into PK this time of year and seen it as dry as it is right now the whole way.   It looks like the depths of August 2010/2018 through there.  Terrible.  

Latest estimate is 17k+ acres and still 0% contained.  

I've never driven 6/281/16 into PK this time of year and seen it as dry as it is right now the whole way.   It looks like the depths of August 2010/2018 through there.  Terrible.  

It’s worse than 2011 and we haven’t even hit the true dry season yet. If something sparks and they don’t get ahead of it quick it will burn from Graford to Breckenridge in about a day and a half.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s worse than 2011 and we haven’t even hit the true dry season yet. If something sparks and they don’t get ahead of it quick it will burn from Graford to Breckenridge in about a day and a half.

No doubt it is.  I was referring to it looking like August 2011 in March.  That's a really bad sign unless we get about 2 weeks straight of soaking rains.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure about the rest of the state, but even before it really started drying out this past fall, a lot of oaks looked to be really struggling in the Hill Country -- many to the point of being out right dead. Guessing that was because of the Big Freeze.

Helluva one-two punch between that and this drought.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Not sure about the rest of the state, but even before it really started drying out this past fall, a lot of oaks looked to be really struggling in the Hill Country -- many to the point of being out right dead. Guessing that was because of the Big Freeze.

Helluva one-two punch between that and this drought.

yep. i’ve noticed trees all over the state looking sickly post winter apocalypse.   hopefully most recover, but the drought isn’t helping. 

5 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Question as a land owner. Have < 100 ac. Mix of fields, mesquite, oak mottes, and creek bottom. If (when?) a fire came through, do I lose all my nice trees? The oaks, pecans, elms, etc?

Yeah, probably. Look at pictures of the forests around Bastrop. They were just charred. Those that did not burn suffered a lot of damage and had to come down. 

33 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Question as a land owner. Have < 100 ac. Mix of fields, mesquite, oak mottes, and creek bottom. If (when?) a fire came through, do I lose all my nice trees? The oaks, pecans, elms, etc?

Well, technically they'll just undergo a chemical change.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, swraith said:

Having driven from Austin to Colorado and back for Spring, all of west Texas looks ready to burn this spring.

It's always brown like that in the winter/ early Spring; but yeah, it's also dry AF.

Our yards are just barely starting to green a little.  We had snow on the ground last week.

I'm gonna move south of Longview and start bitching about the humidity. 

This is accurate. We were In Fredericksburg last weekend and more than once it was said that if we had the outdoor structures at the wineries at home (hour south of Longview) mold would be taking over.

Do not throw cigarettes out.

Ya fucking think?  people that do that shit give no fucks about the warnings.  They give no fucks about anyone.

Today is going to suck with the winds and extreme parched conditions.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Do not throw cigarettes out.

Ya fucking think?  people that do that shit give no fucks about the warnings.  They give no fucks about anyone.

Litterbugs piss me off. People that throw out lit cigarette butts need immediate extraordinary rendition to the hottest war zones in the world. Also cut off their genitals. 

• Like 1

It's not much, but it's something:

https://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/get-involved/report-a-litterer/

"When you see litter thrown or flying out of a vehicle, intentionally or accidentally, take down the following information—license plate number, make and color of vehicle, date and time, location, who tossed the litter, and what was tossed.

TxDOT compares the information through the Department of Motor Vehicles registration database, and when an exact match is located, we send the litterer a Don’t mess with Texas litterbag along with a letter reminding them to keep their trash off of our roads.

And you can feel good about doing something to clean up our beloved Lone Star State."