Mikaela Shiffrin wins 4th World Cup

crash_davis

Glad to see that she came back from the shittastic Olympics. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mikaela-shiffrin-wins-overall-world-202544333.html

Reflecting on the challenges of the season, Mikaela noted the victory comes after some "very low moments."

"There were many moments this season that have been very great," Shiffrin said, per NBC Sports. "But there's also been some very low moments. It's the lowest I've ever felt in my career, in my life as well. Not just skiing, but as a human, there's been moments where I feel the weight of everything so much that it's just a terrible feeling."

Continued Shiffrin, "After the Olympics, [the overall] was the final goal that was still possible to achieve. It felt like all the biggest goals I had this season, I didn't do anything. Now this is very special."

• Hook 'Em 2

• 10 months later...

American skier Mikaela Shiffrin won a record 83rd World Cup race Tuesday.

Shiffrin's giant slalom victory broke a tie on the women's career list with former American teammate Lindsey Vonn. Vonn retired four years ago when injuries cut her career short.

"I don't think there are words to explain all the feelings," Shiffrin said. "In the end of it, it's like there's too much excitement to feel. I don't know if that makes sense. So it's something you can't explain. So I just try to breathe a bit and enjoy it."

Shiffrin needs only three more wins to match Ingemar Stenmark's overall mark -- in men's or women's events -- of 86 victories.

Stenmark competed in the 1970s and '80s.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/skiing/story/_/id/35516553/us-skier-mikaela-shiffrin-wins-record-83rd-world-cup-race

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

American skier Mikaela Shiffrin has decided to split from her longtime head coach, Mike Day, during the middle of the world championships.

"After working with Mike Day for seven seasons, I've decided to move forward with new leadership on my team for the next phase of my career," Shiffrin said in a statement released by the U.S. ski team Wednesday. "I want to thank Mike and acknowledge all of his work and dedication over the last several years."

The announcement was made a day before Shiffrin was due to compete in the giant slalom at worlds.

She already won a silver medal in super-G last week before leaving Meribel for some off-site training.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/skiing/story/_/id/35662980/mikaela-shiffrin-splits-long-coach-mike-day-worlds