We Own this City HBO limited series by David Simon

Michael Knight

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm interested to see how Jamie Hector does as a cop.  I never saw Bosch.  But he did a great job playing such an evil piece of shit as Marlo Stanfield in The Wire.  Will start watching this weekend.

The fuck? 

Was interested in this back story and read the book I got a monster by Woods and Soderberg and holy shit these guys were so corrupt for so long that it’s almost unbelievable, I have a background in Civil Service and for the most part rationally and reasonably support the police. That being said to have this level of police corruption for the length in which they had it is terrifying and for the amount of lies these guys ruined with absolute frame jobs I hope they all rot in prison. These guys crossed the line early and were 100 percent criminal for years.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t recall The Wire season 1 being particularly compelling until the third episode. So even if you didn’t like the first episode, stick with it.  It’s a tryptich (actually, I think four timelines) and it doesn’t hold the viewers hand outside of Wayne Jenkins’ formative cop years with those police report cuts.  I presume it all comes together to the timeline where Jenkins and team are being interrogated.  

11 minutes ago, Augustus said:

He plays stupid, really insecure assholes so well, it's truly impressive.

Every nuance, every microexpression...  spot on.

He was completely believable in Fury. 

You robbed the midget stripper?? 

simon’s comic fingerprints are all over this one, but we only have six episodes to tell the story rather than a baker’s dozen in Wire/Treme/Deuce. So that gets tamped down in favor of some Captain Exposition malarkey with Wunmi or the FBI agents. I guess we’ll never see that farm to table strip joint.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

I’m really enjoying Jamie Hector’s performance. The guy has range. The tension, his dread, and inner conflict all feel real. 

I haven’t read the book, but Hector’s character should have grabbed a half ass attorney and sprinted to the feds to make a deal. One of the Gun Taskforce cooperating witnesses is going to throw him under the bus. 

I’m really enjoying Jamie Hector’s performance. The guy has range. The tension, his dread, and inner conflict all feel real. 

I haven’t read the book, but Hector’s character should have grabbed a half ass attorney and sprinted to the feds to make a deal. One of the Gun Taskforce cooperating witnesses is going to throw him under the bus. 

He’d have a real hard time hiring an attorney, pretty tragic story

14 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

My guess is we get Bernthal interrogation scene next week and he names Hector's character. Or maybe not. IDK. But I do hope to see Bernthal in an extended interrogation scene

They showed a clip of Jenkins getting interrogated by the feds in the finale preview. Should be a great scene. 

Not sure what Simon is trying to say after the finale. Every cop on the Gun Taskforce received hefty sentences. Even the cooperating witnesses got north of 7 years. 

I get it. His overarching message is : the war of drugs is lost and the system is broken. But, we’re talking about corrupt cops doing decades in prison. Isn’t that a victory?

9 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I took it to mean the entire City of Baltimore is completely and totally lost. 

Almost every single elected or appointed leader in that fucking city in the last 10 years has either quit, been fired,  or plead guilty to federal crimes.

That was my take as well.

Some additional thoughts: 

- Suiter had to stand up. He was a father and a husband. Gotta stay strong for your family. Suicide is the most selfish ending. Simon definitely thinks it was a suicide and filmed it as such. 
- Was a forfeiture of assets part of Jenkins plea? He easily stole several hundred thousand dollars. 
- I don’t get sentencing guidelines. All the cops that didn’t cooperate received north of 12 years. The underboss of the Philly crime family just took a 6.5 year plea on a RICO/drug case. I guess the government nailed the cops on abuse of power?
- Hersl was very dumb taking his case to trial. It will probably cost him 6 years of his life. Why did he think a jury in Baltimore would give him a favorable verdict?

- If the bail bondsman doesn’t talk, I wonder what kind of plea the government offers Jenkins? They had a lot of evidence, but the bondsman put it all together. It reminded me of Gravino flipping on Gotti. 

I need to read the book. 

I don't know how Suiter could pull off a suicide that wouldn't be ruled as such.

If he shoots himself in the head, how are ballistics not going to match the shot to the gun that would be lying right beside/underneath him?

Was he hoping the conclusion would be that the "perp" turned his own weapon on him, fired at close range, and left the gun behind?

I just don't see how it's remotely possible a cop could shoot himself in the head and have it ruled anything but suicide.

That would seemingly require the partner's participation to stage the scene.