Boeing 737 carrying 132 passengers crashes in China

bolverk

5 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Huge drop, small plateau with slight pull up, then almost vertical drop seems hard to think kamakize unless the suicidal pilot took back over control.

Failure of hydraulic system with an emergency reset and then subsequent backup failure is my guess. 

If I was a suicidal pilot, it feels like easing it into a hillside would be a better play than a nose dive. 

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

if a plane loses it's engines but still have control over rudders, could it have the same flight characteristics?

if it loses engines it becomes a glider. 737 flight controls can be used manually if everything (engines, APU, and hydraulics) all fail. 

one of our resident pilots can confirm. 

There's no reason for a nosedive like that IMHO. Has to be intentional. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The transition from level flight (autopilot) to screaming dive is scary fast. I gotta go with severe failure or malfunction of horizontal stabilizer and/or elevator. Or suicide. (But if I was a suicidal pilot, I'd wait to start my death plunge from a lower altitude.)

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

if it loses engines it becomes a glider. 737 flight controls can be used manually if everything (engines, APU, and hydraulics) all fail. 

one of our resident pilots can confirm. 

There's no reason for a nosedive like that IMHO. Has to be intentional. 

i thought the big commercial jets don't glide. they either fly or without engine drop like we saw. 

i don't know shit tho.

Just now, Paper_jam said:

The transition from level flight (autopilot) to screaming dive is scary fast. I gotta go with severe failure or malfunction of horizontal stabilizer and/or elevator. Or suicide. (But if I was a suicidal pilot, I'd wait to start my death plunge from a lower altitude.)

go big or go home!

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

if a plane loses it's engines but still have control over rudders, could it have the same flight characteristics?

Assuming no structural failure, I would expect to see a glide. Wings would still be generating lift. If this RoC data is accurate, it was a HARD nose-over...

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i thought the big commercial jets don't glide. they either fly or without engine drop like we saw. 

i don't know shit tho.

Glide capability in a zero-power condition is a primary design requirement for any certificated airplane.

Edited by SuperSport
FIFHelicopters
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When I was a kid, my family and I were going from Orlando to Austin and we hit really bad turbulence. It was pretty much like a roller coaster where I would lose my stomach as we dropped. The stewardess was crying as were a decent number of passengers. There was an incredible amount of flex in the wings as this was going on. I assume modern electronics keeps airplanes from hitting that kind of weather now. But, could those huge drops cause a wing to snap.

I assume this was a question and the answer is no, those drops could not cause a wing to snap.  The amount of flex in the wings prior to a snap is almost unbelievable.  The 787s can (almost?) touch tips they have so much flex.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Assuming no structural failure, I would expect to see a glide. Wings would still be generating lift. If this RoC data is accurate, it was a HARD nose-over...

this is what is confusing.  from that altitude you should be able to glide.  the JetBlue fire was soon after takeoff.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Oh yeah they can. Here's a famous one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

crazy.  so many fuck ups but the worst is the screwup on the system of measurement for fuel amount, which caused this....

Within seconds, the left engine failed and the pilots began preparing for a single-engine landing. As they communicated their intentions to controllers in Winnipeg and tried to restart the left engine, the cockpit warning system sounded again with the "all engines out" sound, a sharp "bong" that no one in the cockpit could recall having heard before.[13] Seconds later, the right-side engine also stopped and the 767 lost all power. Flying with all engines out was never expected to occur, so it had never been covered in training.

2 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Black boxes are tough as shit but I'd be really surprised if they made it through this impact. Hope I'm wrong because that data/voice would be key to the investigation.

Voice will probably be the only missing piece. Depending on MU's maintenance program, most of their aircraft flight data is likely transmitted to the airline/Boeing via ACARS.

Just now, SuperSport said:

Voice will probably be the only missing piece. Depending on MU's maintenance program, most of their aircraft flight data is likely transmitted to the airline/Boeing via ACARS.

Voice:  SHITSHITSHITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH…for 3 minutes. 

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Are there seriously adult humans that don’t know a plane can glide without engine power? Even huge planes?

you expect adults to understand the bernoulli effect?  you have a lot of faith in our education system.