Band of Brothers

MNLonghornFUKM

Anyone else watching this weekend? I try to watch this series every memorial weekend. Just got done with Ep. 4 failing the Market Garden mission.   This is probably the 15th time Ive watched this show. It will never get old...I cant imagine how cool it would've been filming this show...which eerily debuted Sept 9th 2001. 

Edit: before I forget...Captain Spiers is a certified bad ass

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Is it marathoning somewhere?  I keep thinking that upon my umpteenth re-viewing, it will become stale, but it never does.  I have never been a big Speirs fanboi.  I read the book(s) first, and he was kind of portrayed as a psycho.

Lewis Nixon is my favorite character after Major Dick.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is it marathoning somewhere?  I keep thinking that upon my umpteenth re-viewing, it will become stale, but it never does.  I have never been a big Speirs fanboi.  I read the book(s) first, and he was kind of portrayed as a psycho.

rtyb4rt.jpg

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

watching it on HBOgo.

well, yeah spiers is a psycho. LOL, does Nixon even fire a gun once?

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Been watching every year since 2008. Amazing series. Even Sobel was portrayed perfectly as an asshole. I really liked the character of Malarky. He tranistioned exactly like I would have imagined as the war drug on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've got the DVDs. I don't watch it every year but I threw the first episode on yesterday and wound up watching the first five before the night was over. It just sucks you in. 

I watched "Bastogne" this morning, I'll probably knock out a couple more episodes tonight. 

Just brilliant. The story will live for centuries and from a technical standpoint it's as perfect a production as has ever been made. I never even fast forward through the opening credits. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Facemask said:

Been watching every year since 2008. Amazing series. Even Sobel was portrayed perfectly as an asshole. I really liked the character of Malarky. He tranistioned exactly like I would have imagined as the war drug on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

David Schwimmer played a great Sobel. 

I noticed in the first episode last night he used the word "irregardless." Good way to make me dislike a character right off the bat. 

It's the little things. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

David Schwimmer played a great Sobel. 

I noticed in the first episode last night he used the word "irregardless." Good way to make me dislike a character right off the bat. 

It's the little things. 

Mularkey? That's slang for bullshit.

Agreed..Schwimmer played the perfect dickhead for that series. Eating that spaghetti then running the mountain makes me queasy even thinking about it 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nixon? I like Livingston as much as anyone but all Nixon did was follow Winters around. 

Havent seen it in years but who was the sargeant or lieutenant that froze on the battlefield? That was one of my favorite episodes, the guy that took up the slack and received a field promotion was a bad ass. 

5 minutes ago, JohnRedHorn said:

Nixon? I like Livingston as much as anyone but all Nixon did was follow Winters around. 

Havent seen it in years but who was the sargeant or lieutenant that froze on the battlefield? That was one of my favorite episodes, the guy that took up the slack and received a field promotion was a bad ass. 

Dike was the failure. Spiers took over and ran into foy to hook up. i love the "what the hell" from one of the guys once spiers took off into the town

It seems that the Germans are bad. Very bad. 
How about when winters took out that guy who gives him a shoulder shrug...and a whole fleet of SS officers couldn't take him out as he killed like 15 or so.

Sometimes I think the nazis were stormtroopers. Were they that bad of shot and had little training?

A lot of Nixon's work in intelligence was done away from Easy Company. He was assigned to Operation Varsity by General Taylor and jumped with another unit. One of a very few from the 101st to have 3 combat jumps. By the time he got back to Easy Company, his drinking problem was in full swing and he was demoted from intelligence to operations. While he didn't do any killing, he was vital to the success of Easy Company. His part just didn't play out on screen as much in BoB.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnRedHorn said:

the guy that took up the slack and received a field promotion was a bad ass. 

Indeed. Lipton (played by Donnie Wahlberg). Great episode and a dude who earned (and kept earning IIRC) field promotions. Winter even had the German officer surrender his weapon to Lipton later on. 

Interesting links but edited to remove since it also had other junk..   Most expensive series ever produced at the time.. never knew the Bastogne scenes were

filmed indoors with paper snow

Edited by AUinHsv

7 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Indeed. Lipton (played by Donnie Wahlberg). Great episode and a dude who earned (and kept earning IIRC) field promotions. Winter even had the German officer surrender his weapon to Lipton later on. 

And Lipton is also a favorite, despite mild antipathy toward Wahlbergs.

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

HBO now probably on episode 5 or 6 maybe.

17 minutes ago, Homercles said:

In the book Ambrose states the men felt Winters was the best field officer and Nixon the best staff officer they ever saw

I need to read the book.  I don't get that feeling from what is on-screen.  Dude just seemed like a functioning alcoholic who stayed out of the way.

I need to read the book.  I don't get that feeling from what is on-screen.  Dude just seemed like a functioning alcoholic who stayed out of the way.

His daily routine isn’t covered in much detail there either, but there’s a reason he quickly rose to working at the regimental level due to his sharpness with intelligence. Winters had an innate ability to work with him, which is probably why being busted back to battalion was best for everyone.

Hell Colonel Sink’s nickname was ‘bourbon bob’. Lotta guys had a drinking problem when it became more available in places like Germany.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

His daily routine isn’t covered in much detail there either, but there’s a reason he quickly rose to working at the regimental level due to his sharpness with intelligence. Winters had an innate ability to work with him, which is probably why being busted back to battalion was best for everyone.

Hell Colonel Sink’s nickname was ‘bourbon bob’. Lotta guys had a drinking problem when it became more available in places like Germany.

Nixon got a Bronze (or Silver?) Star for his action in taking those guns on Normandy Beach.   He understood the maps they found gave the specific location of a buncha Kraut artillery pieces.  Ran them through enemy territory to get back to the beach.  

Edited by Parliament