Band of Brothers

MNLonghornFUKM

6 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Holy shit!  props to the old man, knocking boots with live rounds at 59-68 years of age.

He was 63.  My mom was 31.

With my dad's history in mind, I was snipped after two boys.

11 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

63 and 31? Going off to war or not...that man was a damn American hero. 

No war, but he did his part.  At his eulogy, the pastor (his old golfing buddy) referred to him as "The Turk of Manly Men."

Thankfully, I feel no need to fill his shoes in the big swingin D department.  I worked hard.  I got a good education.  I think he would have been proud.

Edited by dcbc

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Pacific was pretty goddamn awesome. I like BOB more, but I think it’s intentional. There was nothing to like about the war in the Pacific Theatre and I think that is what the message they wanted to convey. They did it wonderfully.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Did they ever fix the ending text on the Carentan episode about Blithe?   Always really bugged the shit out of me in the past, and I just skip the end Of that episode whenever I go through the series (as I’m about to do again).  

Disappointed me when I learned that Ambrose was a bit of a dishonest writer.

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

You mean the way that George Lucas “fixed” stuff?  

Make changes and then rerelease? I doubt HBO has done that.  Remind me again about the Blithe thing.  I remember that they messed up some facts about a real person but I’ve forgotten.  

They said Blithe died. He didn't. 

41 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They said Blithe died. He didn't. 

Well, he did die in Germany.  20 years later.  While on active duty in the Army.  After having made over 600 parachute jumps in his career.   

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/albert-blithe.htm

And he had a wife, son, and nephew   His family was pissed that they didn’t change it after they told HBO.  It’s the only problem I have with the series.  

• Like 2

Re-watching because virus.  The scene in Replacements where Bull is in the barn with the farmer and his daughter is so intense.  Such good acting with no dialogue.

Holy shit yea. I always thought the scene before that during day where he’s left behind and just chilling in the drain while Germans walk by was crazy.

I wonder how many times real Bull had ptsd episodes about that night

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

t’s the only problem I have with the series.  

Norman Dike didn't die either.  And he actually did some heroic stuff.  And apparently he wasn't able to advance the attack on Foye because he got shot in the shoulder.

16 minutes ago, fellside said:

Norman Dike didn't die either.  And he actually did some heroic stuff.  And apparently he wasn't able to advance the attack on Foye because he got shot in the shoulder.

He’s a weird case.    I don’t remember which books/biographies had the stories, but Winters, Heffron, Guarnere, and a few others just shit all over Dike.  It wasn’t because he was from a rich and powerful family either (Nixon was rich as shit) and it wasn’t  just because he was there putting in his time so he could get promoted.  I don’t remember the exact quotes, but I want to say the enlisted men would get pissed when he’d go off by himself, and Winters, I think, said he was unreliable and unavailable when he needed him.

I get that Ambrose was buddies with these guys and would run their versions of events without fact-checking too much, but the books that I read the mentions of Dike came out later, and were scrutinized/fact-checked more.   

And Winters never seemed like one to just shit on somebody in print or in interviews for no reason   He overlooked a lot of “issues” his men and officers had, as long as their shit was squared away.

Edited by atomheartbevo

This is still my favorites series to feature Simon Pegg, James McAvoy (some X-people movies) Michael Fassbender (also X-people movies with James McAvoy), Scott Grimes (Steve Smith in American Dad), Donnie Wahlberg (New Kids on the Block), Jamie Bamber (Apollo in Battlestar Galactica), Jimmy Fallon, Tom Hardy (some Mad Mack movies), and Andrew Scott (Moriarty in the Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock TV series).  

And those guys weren’t even the top-tier talent in the series at the time.  

Still hilarious to hear Moriarty yelling “SHUT YOUR GUINEA TRAP GONORRHEA!” In the assault on Brecourt Manor.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He’s a weird case.    I don’t remember which books/biographies had the stories, but Winters, Heffron, Guarnere, and a few others just shit all over Dike.  It wasn’t because he was from a rich and powerful family either (Nixon was rich as shit) and it wasn’t  just because he was there putting in his time so he could get promoted.  I don’t remember the exact quotes, but I want to say the enlisted men would get pissed when he’d go off by himself, and Winters, I think, said he was unreliable and unavailable when he needed him.

I get that Ambrose was buddies with these guys and would run their versions of events without fact-checking too much, but the books that I read the mentions of Dike came out later, and were scrutinized/fact-checked more.   

And Winters never seemed like one to just shit on somebody in print or in interviews for no reason   He overlooked a lot of “issues” his men and officers had, as long as their shit was squared away.

I read Don Malarkey's account of his experience (great book). and the one soldier he consistently shit on was David Webster.  I'm now reading Webster's book and I'm thinking Malarkey's opinion was correct.  Webster just seems like a bitch, even in his own words.  Proud of the fact that he refused to ever volunteer for anything and was just trying to get injured and leave the front.  Webster survived the war and became an author focusing on sharks.  He got into a small boat in Santa Barbara (?) in the early 60s, rowed out to sea, and was never heard from again.

if you guys ever make it to France I highly recommend a WW2 battlefield tour. You can take a train from Paris to Bayeux and be there in under 2 hours. We spent two nights there and it was not long enough

I highly recommend this guide, he is absolutely amazing and has 100% 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor: https://alliedvictorytours.com/about/

We did 2 days with him and it was so worth it. We saw Point du Hoc, Omaha beach and the American Cemetery the first half day. He let me make up whatever it was that I wanted to see and suggested many others. The next day we went to where medics set up a hospital in the church at Angoville au Plain, the hedgerows and where gliders landed and crashed, St. Marie du Mont, Brecourt Manor, saw the ditches and saw where Winters learned he was in charge of Easy, took the causeway over to Utah stopping see monuments and get an idea geographically of why this was such an important objective. We went to Saint Mere Eglise and learned lots about the drops. We saw where Winters and Randleman landed. We went to the bridge at La Fiere, cool to understand Purple Heart highway and that it was loosely based on Saving Private Ryan. We traced Easy’s road into Carentan the same street where the MG42 was shooting out the window as they came into town. We saw exactly where Winters got shot, the batteries at Longues Sur Mer, mulberry harbor at Arromanches. And a lot more. 

We spent 3 weeks all over Europe last summer and this was the highlight of the trip. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

if you guys ever make it to France I highly recommend a WW2 battlefield tour. You can take a train from Paris to Bayeux and be there in under 2 hours. We spent two nights there and it was not long enough

I highly recommend this guide, he is absolutely amazing and has 100% 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor: https://alliedvictorytours.com/about/

We did 2 days with him and it was so worth it. We saw Point du Hoc, Omaha beach and the American Cemetery the first half day. He let me make up whatever it was that I wanted to see and suggested many others. The next day we went to where medics set up a hospital in the church at Angoville au Plain, the hedgerows and where gliders landed and crashed, St. Marie du Mont, Brecourt Manor, saw the ditches and saw where Winters learned he was in charge of Easy, took the causeway over to Utah stopping see monuments and get an idea geographically of why this was such an important objective. We went to Saint Mere Eglise and learned lots about the drops. We saw where Winters and Randleman landed. We went to the bridge at La Fiere, cool to understand Purple Heart highway and that it was loosely based on Saving Private Ryan. We traced Easy’s road into Carentan the same street where the MG42 was shooting out the window as they came into town. We saw exactly where Winters got shot, the batteries at Longues Sur Mer, mulberry harbor at Arromanches. And a lot more. 

We spent 3 weeks all over Europe last summer and this was the highlight of the trip. 

Yep did Bayeux for 2 days at the Churchhill, and Normandy for a day, 2 days would have been better, but we spent one day at Mont St. Michel.  Easy train ride from Paris for sure.

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

I'm still not over the 9-11 Memorial.  I'm sure Normandy will equally fuck me up should I ever make it there...

First time I went to the WWII Memorial in DC, I was there close to sunset.  An 80s+ yr old Japanese man was there with his wife. He was wearing his WWII veteran hat, in Japanese, and a pilot’s jacket.  We were standing at the back where the fountain and gold stars are located.   The facing of the pool says “Here we mark the price of Freedom.”   He was bawling uncontrollably, saluted the stars, made eye contact with me and saw I was crying watching him, and bowed.   I respectfully returned his bow, and told them thank you.  

I’ll never forget that.  

• Like 8

I always thought Fallon’s acting was horrible in the pre-Bastogne resupply scene.  Just feels forced, which is understandable but he’s just completely outclassed in the dialog by Damian Lewis.  Maybe it’s because of my own bias knowing he’s a comedian that laughs too much at his own jokes but whatever it always feels a little jarring to me.  

The thing is though I have the opposite feeling with Schwimmer playing Sobel.  Up to that point I’d only known him as a goof from Friends but his performance in BoB as a sadistic/pitiful leader is so spot on, and such a marked contrast to my perception of him as an actor, that it always impressed me.  The look in his eyes when he saluted Sink upon his dismissal was well done.  

I thought I’d read (or maybe it was in the Making Of video) that they kept Schwimmer separate during boot camp so the resentment would show on camera for him not having to go through that experience with Dale Dye. 

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

I always thought Fallon’s acting was horrible in the pre-Bastogne resupply scene.  Just feels forced, which is understandable but he’s just completely outclassed in the dialog by Damian Lewis.  Maybe it’s because of my own bias knowing he’s a comedian that laughs too much at his own jokes but whatever it always feels a little jarring to me.  

The thing is though I have the opposite feeling with Schwimmer playing Sobel.  Up to that point I’d only known him as a goof from Friends but his performance in BoB as a sadistic/pitiful leader is so spot on, and such a marked contrast to my perception of him as an actor, that it always impressed me.  The look in his eyes when he saluted Sink upon his dismissal was well done.  

I thought I’d read (or maybe it was in the Making Of video) that they kept Schwimmer separate during boot camp so the resentment would show on camera for him not having to go through that experience with Dale Dye. 

He was great as Sobel.  Really good actor overall.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Watching the series again via Prime Video. About to start “Why We Fight” again.  Got my humidifier and dust filtration system on high alert. 

I'll say it again. To me, the most powerful thing ever put on screen; big or small. 

• Like 1

On April 3, 2020 at 8:20 AM, Homercles said:

I thought Fallon did fine. It was a bit part. Saying he was "just completely outclassed in the dialog by Damian Lewis" seems like a weird thing to say. Is there a chance you just don't like Jimmy Fallon in general? Because if it was an unknown actor playing that part I'm not sure anyone would pick him out for criticism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

I'll say it again. To me, the most powerful thing ever put on screen; big or small. 

Yep.  The foreground story with Nixon’s alcoholic rants/desperation leading into the discovery of the camps is so gut-wrenching.   It’s like the compilation of everything we’ve ever done in our lives and immediately regretted it on about 5 LOG 10.  I mean, the end of SPR when Ryan is on is knees at Normandy asking his wife “Tell me, Tell me I’ve been a good man?” was the most powerful thing I’ve ever seen on screen, until Why We Fight.  

47 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I thought Fallon did fine. It was a bit part. Saying he was "just completely outclassed in the dialog by Damian Lewis" seems like a weird thing to say. Is there a chance you just don't like Jimmy Fallon in general? Because if it was an unknown actor playing that part I'm not sure anyone would pick him out for criticism. 

his scene, almost ruined the entire series 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

i thought i seen this already... but it was the pacfic and generation kil..

just binged this in 2 dates.... 

this is some intense bad ass show that i feel dumb for not watching before.

Spiers Winters and Guarnere are fuckin legends! 

giphy.gif