2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

I can guarantee Tom Herman wins more games and goes to a bowl game last year. There is 0 chance that doesn't happen, he uses casey and hudson as battering rams just like he did Sam and his offense isn't terrible. The defense would at worst been just as good, but they knew ash's scheme and it fit the personnel much better. 

I'm not stanning for Turtle fucking Tom, but he didn't get fired because he was a shitty coach on the field, sure it was frustrating to watch them play games closer than they should have been, but he never lost to fucking Kansas. Not even once. 

Sark is on a short leash this year - if there isn't immediate and drastic improvement from the get-go (meaning against alabama) then Seven win Steve will be just that...

I don’t think Card being used as a battering ram would have been a good idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Sark went from coaching QBs at El Camino College to head coach at Washington in 9 years.  He was 33 when he took that job.  That's a meteoric rise to become a Division 1 coach. They went from going 0-12 the year before he took over to 10 wins the year he left.  That's a good job for a team that has never been a blueblood. 

USC was a shit show, but he was fired in the middle of his second season because of his drinking, and he's done every reasonable thing a person can do to rehabilitate himself from that.  His track record as a head coach is at best incomplete. 

I don't know whether he can build a dynasty, but he's a helluva lot better than that asshole we hired from U of H, his offense is miles ahead, and his coaches are much better recruiters.  I don't know what your profession is, but I don't know that I'd want to work for you with a take like that based on the fact that he couldn't turn Washington into Alabama in 5 years after Whittington ran it into the ground.      

Please help me find the 10 wins as a head coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sarkisian

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Please help me find the 10 wins as a head coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sarkisian

Excuse me, I said the Huskies won 10 when I should have said 9.  Sark is credited with 8 wins in 2013, but the Huskies won their bowl without him when he left for USC.  So, they went from 0-12 to 9-4 from the season before he started to the season when he left.  

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Sark went from coaching QBs at El Camino College to head coach at Washington in 9 years.  He was 33 when he took that job.  That's a meteoric rise to become a Division 1 coach. They went from going 0-12 the year before he took over to 10 wins the year he left.  That's a good job for a team that has never been a blueblood. 

USC was a shit show, but he was fired in the middle of his second season because of his drinking, and he's done every reasonable thing a person can do to rehabilitate himself from that.  His track record as a head coach is at best incomplete. 

I don't know whether he can build a dynasty, but he's a helluva lot better than that asshole we hired from U of H, his offense is miles ahead, and his coaches are much better recruiters.  I don't know what your profession is, but I don't know that I'd want to work for you with a take like that based on the fact that he couldn't turn Washington into Alabama in 5 years after Whittington ran it into the ground.      

Not Alabama but what about what Nick did at Michigan State in the same time span. His last year was 9-2 at Michigan State! Peterson had one season with 12 wins and two with 10 wins at Washington. Peterson's worst season was 7-6. That was Sarkisian's standard season at Washington. Granted he did take them from shit to 5 wins year one but in year 5 with all his guys he only had 8 wins and 4 losses. The record as a head coach is not deserving of arguments that we don't know what he is as a head coach. We know exactly what he is as a head coach so for all our sakes lets hope he becomes something more when sober and somehow performs at a level that he has shown incapable of as a head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Not Alabama but what about what Nick did at Michigan State in the same time span. His last year was 9-2 at Michigan State! Peterson had one season with 12 wins and two with 10 wins at Washington. Peterson's worst season was 7-6. That was Sarkisian's standard season at Washington. Granted he did take them from shit to 5 wins year one but in year 5 with all his guys he only had 8 wins and 4 losses. The record as a head coach is not deserving of arguments that we don't know what he is as a head coach. We know exactly what he is as a head coach so for all our sakes lets hope he becomes something more when sober and somehow performs at a level that he has shown incapable of as a head coach.

Maybe, maybe not. Lot of guys are certain Sark sucks and cant win. That must really suck as a fan. Personally, I will sit back and watch. Maybe he sucks, but I am not going to pretend that his 5 year stint that was almost a decade ago is the deciding factor. Not to mention it was so terrible that he parlayed it into the USC job. I doubt this is Belchick and Cleveland type situation, but fuck it, I am going to sit back and root that it is. What is the alternative? Taking satisfaction in making a widely held prediction to cure the aggravation from watching Texas look like shit? 

• Hook 'Em 7

22 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Peterson's not available, but we do have his DC and a former head coach from his coaching tree on our staff already.  Who's better than Sark that we'd have a chance to get next year?  Who's a better bet than "Seven Win Steve"?

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Maybe, maybe not. Lot of guys are certain Sark sucks and cant win. That must really suck as a fan. Personally, I will sit back and watch. Maybe he sucks, but I am not going to pretend that his 5 year stint that was almost a decade ago is the deciding factor. Not to mention it was so terrible that he parlayed it into the USC job. I doubt this is Belchick and Cleveland type situation, but fuck it, I am going to sit back and root that it is. What is the alternative? Taking satisfaction in making a widely held prediction to cure the aggravation from watching Texas look like shit? 

Yes, it does suck to think that the probability of Sark continuing to perform the way he has in the past is high. My original argument to others is that we not pretend we have not seen enough from Sark as a head coach to know that the IT factor is missing. My hope is that he surrounds himself with enough of the right people to get this thing to work ala Coach O. All my hopes this season are that Fat Gary is one of those pieces and it makes a significant difference in practices and especially in letting the defensive staff do its' job.

I am not saying Sark is Coach O I am just saying some coaches have it and get anyone they hire to do better then they have done in the past while others just hit the right staff combo and get it to work.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Keondre Coburn mentioned in an interview he had on YouTube that he's lost 17 pounds so far in the offseason.

That is actually Kool Aid worthy news if true. DL has the talent, I have seen 0 ambition out of the group. If guys start taking steps to make the league there is actually hope for the defense. 

I was watching an interview with Rod Babers a while back and he made some salient points about Sark. 

When you look at last season, in general the game plans and installations heading into games were top notch for most of the year (outside of the Arkansas debacle). Babers was mentioning how Sark walked into the stadium for Texas/OU pimped out in his custom outfit. He was cocky. And he had reason to be, he installed a great game plan for that OU game and he fucking knew it. But Sark's biggest issue was not being able to make in-game adjustments

Look at our Big 12 games last year: 

TTU - Total offensive domination from the start, game was relatively stress free.

at TCU - Up 6 at halftime, fed Bijan all day, held on to win in second half. 

vs. OU - 28-7 first quarter lead, up 18 at half time. Meltdown in 2nd half. 

vs. Okie State - Up 17-3 in 2nd quarter, about to score again, Casey throws a pick 6. Total meltdown in 4th quarter. 

at Baylor - Up 21-10 in 2nd quarter, total meltdown after that. 

at Iowa State - Up 7-3 at halftime, outscored 27-0 in the second half 

Kansas (Bijan gets hurt) and WV games were shitshows and the team was in a free fall at that point. 

Clearly it's very fucking scary that Sark has issues making adjustments. We knew our defense was shit very early on, and the goal should have been to score 60 every game. But the offense typically sputtered in the second half.  How many times did we see like 3-4 three and outs in a row after being able to move the ball easily in the 1st half? That should be fixable if properly identified. Does Sark have too many responsibilities in-game that eventually affect his play calling? I don't get the sense he's too arrogant to change some things around, but it definitely needs to happen. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

dont forget there is no X with Herman. 

Jesus!...No X???....hell...with Herman there is no Ewers...there is zero chance to land Manning....and who knows who (whom?) else going forward. Let us never forget that Herman had a commitment from the highest ranked recruit since Vince Young and he ran him off. Will Ewers be all that?...I hope he will....maybe not, but at least there are a damned lot of smart football people that think he will ball out.

Could Sark be the next Saban?...the odds are way against that, but Saban did not start out lights out either.

2 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

Jesus!...No X???....hell...with Herman there is no Ewers...there is zero chance to land Manning....and who knows who (whom?) else going forward. Let us never forget that Herman had a commitment from the highest ranked recruit since Vince Young and he ran him off. Will Ewers be all that?...I hope he will....maybe not, but at least there are a damned lot of smart football people that think he will ball out.

Could Sark be the next Saban?...the odds are way against that, but Saban did not start out lights out either.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I was watching an interview with Rod Babers a while back and he made some salient points about Sark. 

When you look at last season, in general the game plans and installations heading into games were top notch for most of the year (outside of the Arkansas debacle). Babers was mentioning how Sark walked into the stadium for Texas/OU pimped out in his custom outfit. He was cocky. And he had reason to be, he installed a great game plan for that OU game and he fucking knew it. But Sark's biggest issue was not being able to make in-game adjustments

Look at our Big 12 games last year: 

TTU - Total offensive domination from the start, game was relatively stress free.

at TCU - Up 6 at halftime, fed Bijan all day, held on to win in second half. 

vs. OU - 28-7 first quarter lead, up 18 at half time. Meltdown in 2nd half. 

vs. Okie State - Up 17-3 in 2nd quarter, about to score again, Casey throws a pick 6. Total meltdown in 4th quarter. 

at Baylor - Up 21-10 in 2nd quarter, total meltdown after that. 

at Iowa State - Up 7-3 at halftime, outscored 27-0 in the second half 

Kansas (Bijan gets hurt) and WV games were shitshows and the team was in a free fall at that point. 

Clearly it's very fucking scary that Sark has issues making adjustments. We knew our defense was shit very early on, and the goal should have been to score 60 every game. But the offense typically sputtered in the second half.  How many times did we see like 3-4 three and outs in a row after being able to move the ball easily in the 1st half? That should be fixable if properly identified. Does Sark have too many responsibilities in-game that eventually affect his play calling? I don't get the sense he's too arrogant to change some things around, but it definitely needs to happen. 

I think one of Sark's problems was that the initial game plans were "too optimized."  That is, given the talent on-hand, he came up with a brilliant game plan, but there was nowhere to go but "down" from there and the talent reverted to mean.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Peterson's not available, but we do have his DC and a former head coach from his coaching tree on our staff already.  Who's better than Sark that we'd have a chance to get next year?  Who's a better bet than "Seven Win Steve"?

Like I said lets not pretend that Sark is anymore than he has been and the hobbit got infatuated with the guy and his two minions said OK. We did not do an in-depth search to see if there was anyone that was better. The last time Texas did a real search they came up with Mack Brown. So lets hope Sark surrounds himself with the right pieces to get this done because unlike Herman, Strong and Mackovic he at least tries to get the right folks on the staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

Guess you missed this one

image.png.b1a7f0bf7abd41d79d2f66fee3c4ae0a.png

Oh my God - I totally forgot that they won with the 06 RB score. So awesome that they'll never be able to make that score into anything. Or maybe they still will - I guess it would be pretty aggy.

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think one of Sark's problems was that the initial game plans were "too optimized."  That is, given the talent on-hand, he came up with a brilliant game plan, but there was nowhere to go but "down" from there and the talent reverted to mean.

I think the issue was that offensive success balanced on the edge of a knife. Teams eventually loaded up the box and said beat us over the top. You can not do it consistently. They were right. Defense was another issue. 2nd half was  disaster for the defense and put a ton of pressure on the offense. Take Baylor game. Texas had 5 possession in the second half. 2 scoring drives and every drive resulted in at least 1 first down, except for the final drive that ended the game. They had 190 yards in the 2nd half. Didnt convert some 3rd downs, but hardly bad offense. Meanwhile the defense gave up 3 straight TDs and forced the first punt of the half with 2 minutes left in the game. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I can guarantee Tom Herman wins more games and goes to a bowl game last year. There is 0 chance that doesn't happen, he uses casey and hudson as battering rams just like he did Sam and his offense isn't terrible. The defense would at worst been just as good, but they knew ash's scheme and it fit the personnel much better.

TH-MYTH-SOCIETY.png

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm not stanning for Turtle fucking Tom, but he didn't get fired because he was a shitty coach on the field, sure it was frustrating to watch them play games closer than they should have been, but he never lost to fucking Kansas. Not even once. 

Hot-Seat-Tom500.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

straying off topic, will this inflation wave finally break the 9.95 price ceiling?  How in the blue fuck has that product (shitty though it may be) stayed the same nominal price for ~20 years?
If I started selling bags of shit for $2 twenty years ago, and people were still buying my bags of shit for $2 today, no way in hell would I raise prices.

Eventually someone might look at the price and realize they're paying me for bags of shit.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

TH-MYTH-SOCIETY.png

Yea, I have a hard time seeing this team, already splitting apart, somehow doing better than we did. Only way I could see that is if we go 6-6, with multiple blowouts in between. Rojo would have likely been running wildcat qb after OKSt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Like I said lets not pretend that Sark is anymore than he has been and the hobbit got infatuated with the guy and his two minions said OK. We did not do an in-depth search to see if there was anyone that was better. The last time Texas did a real search they came up with Mack Brown. So lets hope Sark surrounds himself with the right pieces to get this done because unlike Herman, Strong and Mackovic he at least tries to get the right folks on the staff.

Full search? You're dragging that corpse back out?  Nobody does a full search.  You can't, the recruiting windows are too short these days.  That's why the coaches that Lincoln Riley took with him to USC snuck out of Norman on a private jet in the middle of the night.  When recruits will decommit at the drop of a hat, so nobody is ever "available" until they've already agreed to terms.  Even then you have to worry about another team poaching them if word gets out you're interested.   

• immamac changed the title to 2022 Spring Practice: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Shitwater)

Isn’t there a Steve Sarkisian thread and Tom Herman thread on this board somewhere where we can discuss how Herman would have done with this shitty roster he helped put together with a 60% attrition rate because he couldn’t hold a conversation with a brick.

Would love to be able to discuss spring practice in the *check notes* spring practice thread.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Full search? You're dragging that corpse back out?  Nobody does a full search.  You can't, the recruiting windows are too short these days.  That's why the coaches that Lincoln Riley took with him to USC snuck out of Norman on a private jet in the middle of the night.  When recruits will decommit at the drop of a hat, so nobody is ever "available" until they've already agreed to terms.  Even then you have to worry about another team poaching them if word gets out you're interested.   

funny-laughing.gif

Thank god our players did not know Tom was gone while we openly pursued Urban and we held on to a hell of a recruiting class that Herman was bring in by shorting up our search. I am done after your latest statement. I should have known better from the start when you made your 10 win Steve argument.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Are we going to suck next year? I feel like we’re gonna suck. 

We needed a couple of o-line starters and LB starters from the portal. Neither happened.

7 wins is our ceiling. I don't think we get there. I think we improve to 6-6.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Atticus said:

Of the two people that we know went after, we got the better one.
You can pretend that past results are the only indicator of future success and you can pretend that you even know what leads to successful seasons across the country. Without that, how do you even know what you’re looking at?

At the very least, we have a guy who provides a competitive advantage with his offense. Does it overcome his potential management shortcomings? We will see, but it’s too early to reasonably write him off considering the shit that was on the roster last year. 

Sucks to lose to Kansas and the other games the way we did, but they weren’t futilities like the first Strong season. This season will show what he can do with time to evaluate and adjust his roster a bit. 8-10 wins is the expectation, with 9 being the baseline for a successful season.

Still equivocating for Seven Loss Steve, I see. As to getting the better "of the two people that we know we went after", um, no, we didn't get the better one. I don't give a flying fuck at this point if Urban Meyer wants to walk around sticking his fingers up every coed's butthole on campus, denies The Holocaust, and makes his assistants and players sob like fucking 5 year olds in the morning, afternoon, and night - I'd take him right now over Seven Loss Steve without a second's hesitation. 

That too much for folks? Want a "good man" coaching your football team? Go root for the local Pop Warner stars. Go home and play with your kids. No one else gives a fuck. 12 years of getting buttfucked by hillbillies in the wilderness has a whole bunch of us itching to see W's, even if the HC happens to be a big ol'meanie.

Also, LOFL at the approach to the Kansas loss. "I mean, sure, sucks to lose to fucking Kansas and all, but that loss was better than the way Charlie Strong used to lose, right? Guys?! Guys? AMIRITE here!?!" Awesome.

3 hours ago, bejezuz said:

Again, more equivocating. No, his track record isn't "incomplete". Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. The guy has coached almost a decade as an HC. He's one of the only coaches in any American sport over the last 25 years to have been fired for being a fucking drunk on the sidelines. He lost to Kansas. His offense gained 14 yards in the last 6 drives against Oklahoma State. He's a bad HC. Awful.

And as he shits himself here, we're all going to get to stew in the stench of it while we're told how wrong we are for wanting him gone after this season by the media and the AD and also what a fucking "great guy" he is. We'll hear that for the next 3 years until they Shaka him on his way and he fails elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It doesn't suck as a fan. Many of us enjoy dealing with looking to the future inside the reality as it is, not as we want it to be. Virtue signal all you like, it's irrelevant to the truth.

By the way, for you rubes that insist on the whole "we don't know what kind of HC he is" farce, there's always this hint of falling back on the idea that he's an otherwise good coach. Is he? He has been successful under the aegis of Pete Carroll's machine and Nick Saban's dynasty. He's been an abject failure at worst and a mediocrity at best in every other role. You cannot disconnect his success from two of the greatest coaches of all time, both of whom won titles irrespective of who was assisting them on their staffs. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Still equivocating for Seven Loss Steve, I see. As to getting the better "of the two people that we know we went after", um, no, we didn't get the better one. I don't give a flying fuck at this point if Urban Meyer wants to walk around sticking his fingers up every coed's butthole on campus, denies The Holocaust, and makes his assistants and players sob like fucking 5 year olds in the morning, afternoon, and night - I'd take him right now over Seven Loss Steve without a second's hesitation. 

That too much for folks? Want a "good man" coaching your football team? Go root for the local Pop Warner stars. Go home and play with your kids. No one else gives a fuck. 12 years of getting buttfucked by hillbillies in the wilderness has a whole bunch of us itching to see W's, even if the HC happens to be a big ol'meanie.

Also, LOFL at the approach to the Kansas loss. "I mean, sure, sucks to lose to fucking Kansas and all, but that loss was better than the way Charlie Strong used to lose, right? Guys?! Guys? AMIRITE here!?!" Awesome.

Again, more equivocating. No, his track record isn't "incomplete". Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. The guy has coached almost a decade as an HC. He's one of the only coaches in any American sport over the last 25 years to have been fired for being a fucking drunk on the sidelines. He lost to Kansas. His offense gained 14 yards in the last 6 drives against Oklahoma State. He's a bad HC. Awful.

And as he shits himself here, we're all going to get to stew in the stench of it while we're told how wrong we are for wanting him gone after this season by the media and the AD and also what a fucking "great guy" he is. We'll hear that for the next 3 years until they Shaka him on his way and he fails elsewhere. 

It doesn't suck as a fan. Many of us enjoy dealing with looking to the future inside the reality as it is, not as we want it to be. Virtue signal all you like, it's irrelevant to the truth.

By the way, for you rubes that insist on the whole "we don't know what kind of HC he is" farce, there's always this hint of falling back on the idea that he's an otherwise good coach. Is he? He has been successful under the aegis of Pete Carroll's machine and Nick Saban's dynasty. He's been an abject failure at worst and a mediocrity at best in every other role. You cannot disconnect his success from two of the greatest coaches of all time, both of whom won titles irrespective of who was assisting them on their staffs. 

Jesus, dude. We get it. You don't like Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Jesus, dude. We get it. You don't like Sark. 

Doesn't seem like you get much of anything, then. I like Sarkisian just fine as a dude on the tv screen. Seems nice enough. I give a fuck about the UT football program though, and in that regard, he's fucking terrible. Congrats on being able to look past that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Didn’t know portal season was over and rosters were set in stone.

People forget that Xavier Worthy didn't even enter the portal until midway through April.

And I actually don't care for Sark, but I'd rather look for reasons he could be successful than whine about shit that says he probably won't be. 

As a fan, i'll be happier if he is successful because it means gamedays will be fun again sooner rather than later.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Isn’t there a Steve Sarkisian thread and Tom Herman thread on this board somewhere where we can discuss how Herman would have done with this shitty roster he helped put together with a 60% attrition rate because he couldn’t hold a conversation with a brick.

Would love to be able to discuss spring practice in the *check notes* spring practice thread.

Then you'd miss all the un-rehashed fresh takes on Herman and Sark. At least nobody is racing to cut and paste arguments they've made on every other fucking thread at Surly if any allusion to a Texas coach is made. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Then you'd miss all the un-rehashed fresh takes on Herman and Sark. At least nobody is racing to cut and paste arguments they've made on every other fucking thread at Surly if any allusion to a Texas coach is made. 

This is true. I don’t mind pessimism. I am actually a pretty negative person, but I think it is redundancy that annoys me. It would be nice to see something new or remotely thought provoking 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

"OMG!!! Think of the readers who want to read spring practice reports!!! Whatever will they do??!!?!"

Give me a fucking break. There was no practice today. The practice reports for yesterday were posted. They were discussed. They haven't been deleted. Feel free to add something new regarding takeaways from the practice that don't make you want to vomit and kick a dog. Tomorrow, after another practice, there will be more practice reports, and more people discussing them. 

"The practice reports, my god, the practice reports!" is a canard thrown out every year on these threads when the pumpers can't handle the reality of the program we root for being moored to the rocks of college football futility while we're consumed by the waves of bad coaches landing ashore as we hang on for dear life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic