2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

59 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

There is a lot of incomplete picture ness or just wrong with what you wrote that I'm not going to both breaking it down point by point.  But a few early scrub camps is not Ewers level of development...  Issues with accuracy at times are a product multiple things like a shitty coaching staff that don't teach wrs  run  consistent routes so timing routes become a coin toss.  It is also the lack of learning to read a defense properly, which leads to times of confusion...  And then there were the games he was banged up which causes throwing issues...   As for accuracy, there is a reason he placed quite a bit higher than Ewers at the Elite 11.  Working with wrs that ran correct routes, he hit the throws more consistently and accurately than Ewers.  That is what happens when coaches.  

But I didn't bring up accuracy.  I said arm strength and touch.  Maalik's touch is a lot like Aikman's was in the day.  Ewers places the ball effortlessly in the perfect spot consistently, but it doesn't always have the right touch where it drops perfectly in the basket.  Colt had that touch on short and medium throws.  Everyone had Maalik listed as a project due to lack of development.  Accuracy wasn't an area of concern.

Now the way Ewers handles pressure, or steps up in the pocket, or steps into his throw knowing he is about to be leveled. Is about as Aikman as Aikman himself.  

someone started drinking early on a Monday

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Really? Not a weakness in any way? Even the practice reports during peak koolaid season haven't been particularly positive. Haven't there been several days with a bunch of reported drops? I'll continue to be skeptical of the group until we have more than one guy consistently prove it on the field. Or at least until we move past the point where catching the ball is a major point of interest in practice.

X is great. Neyor is probably good, maybe great. JWhitt is good but not great when healthy. Casey Cain and Brennen Thompson might be good but definitely don't factor into my expectations for this year. Nobody else should be seen as a plus player on a conference championship level team. 

I feel like our standards at WR have really fallen the last couple years. 

If he gets healthy, I think Omeire will contribute.

2 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Yes, but if they both had been in the same class as they were supposed to be, and Maalik had the same development Ewers did, it's more than  likely they would've been ranked #1 and 2 in the class with the different groups divided between the order of the two, leaving neither player with the unanimous overall #1 tank needed to score the perfect 1.000.   

I admire your commitment to make believe. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ousux said:

I can't wait to see how long it takes Surly to turn on Ewers the first time he has a typical Freshman QB game...

I predict after pick #2, especially if its a pick 6

I think you’re wrong.  We are a QB thirsty fanbase right now.  The chosen one will get a little slack.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ousux said:

I can't wait to see how long it takes Surly to turn on Ewers the first time he has a typical Freshman QB game...

Is pick 2 before or after his 3rd TD to Worthy?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ousux said:

We'll turn on him before Fall camp is over.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Or like someone can photoshop a picture of him at a pretty unsavory, super politically charged rally I'll pay them 200.00.  If it works of course.

Like anyone thinks the redneck with a mullet from the Texas HS most known for overt racist viral stories is a super liberal.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

People hero worshipped Garrett Gilbert for an entire offseason after he shit the bed with explosive diarrhea in the national championship game against Alabama.  And then after we went 5-7 in 2010 primarily because he was awful (including such virtuoso performances like his 0 TD 5 INTs shutout to KSU), I still remember arguing with people on these boards who insisted Mack made the right call to give Gilbert the job again the next year instead of trying to get Russell f’n Wilson when he grad transferred to Wisconsin.

Garrett Gilbert is a pretty good example of how tame our fanbase is compared to a lot of other big football schools.  At least choose Simms as your example.  He actually had a good record and was drafted in the 3rd round. 

here we go again GIF

• Haha 2

People hero worshipped Garrett Gilbert for an entire offseason after he shit the bed with explosive diarrhea in the national championship game against Alabama.  And then after we went 5-7 in 2010 primarily because he was awful (including such virtuoso performances like his 0 TD 5 INTs shutout to KSU), I still remember arguing with people on these boards who insisted Mack made the right call to give Gilbert the job again the next year instead of trying to get Russell f’n Wilson when he grad transferred to Wisconsin.
Garrett Gilbert is a pretty good example of how tame our fanbase is compared to a lot of other big football schools.  At least choose Simms as your example.  He actually had a good record and was drafted in the 3rd round. 

Do you really want a coach that listens to a fan base and message boards on if Russell Wilson will or will not work out? Who cares. It was a miss. And I don’t care enough to look up if russell Wilson was even an option.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I refuse to get excited about anything to do with JWhitt until he stays healthy for at least the first 8 games. He is such an awesome talent but he has never been reliable in terms of staying on the field. I hope this year the kid can stay healthy and play all the way.

Thanks to all above that are posting links/content.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Gaffords said:

There is a lot of incomplete picture ness or just wrong with what you wrote that I'm not going to both breaking it down point by point.  But a few early scrub camps is not Ewers level of development...  Issues with accuracy at times are a product multiple things like a shitty coaching staff that don't teach wrs  run  consistent routes so timing routes become a coin toss.  It is also the lack of learning to read a defense properly, which leads to times of confusion...  And then there were the games he was banged up which causes throwing issues...   As for accuracy, there is a reason he placed quite a bit higher than Ewers at the Elite 11.  Working with wrs that ran correct routes, he hit the throws more consistently and accurately than Ewers.  That is what happens when coaches.  

Is this English? Let me go ahead and answer for you, it absolutely is not English. Watching your efforts to attempt and communicate here is like watching Helen Keller try to wipe herself after raising the flag at Panchos. 

But I didn't bring up accuracy.  I said arm strength and touch.  Maalik's touch is a lot like Aikman's was in the day.  Ewers places the ball effortlessly in the perfect spot consistently, but it doesn't always have the right touch where it drops perfectly in the basket.  Colt had that touch on short and medium throws.  Everyone had Maalik listed as a project due to lack of development.  Accuracy wasn't an area of concern.

Now the way Ewers handles pressure, or steps up in the pocket, or steps into his throw knowing he is about to be leveled. Is about as Aikman as Aikman himself.  

First off, We Are Laughing.gif. And not with you, at you. But I must say, using Troy Aikmen as a positive and then as a negative comparison for 2 different QBs on our roster is fucking Chef's Kiss. 

15 hours ago, Fico said:

^ Just how drunk are you right now? 

Listen, it's normal to go straight to drunk when attempting to make sense of what we all just read. But lets not discount the possibility the poster is just rock fucking stupid.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is this English? Let me go ahead and answer for you, it absolutely is not English. Watching your efforts to attempt and communicate here is like watching Helen Keller try to wipe herself after raising the flag at Panchos. 

I don’t know if these words have ever been included in the same sentence before now, but if so, then certainly not to greater effect than this.  Top shelf.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:53 PM, Hookem2147 said:

SIDE NOTE: This week there was player on defense who got in some off-field trouble that could impact his development/playing time going forward. This player has an incredibly high ceiling, and coaches haven’t given up on him.

^^Talked about a few days ago.

April 12 practice notes:

Notes from Texas' April 12 spring practice

Joe Cook•7 minutes

Steve Sarkisian with Hudson Card, Quinn Ewers (Joe Cook/Inside Texas)

Inside Texas was at the Frank Denius Fields on Tuesday for another media viewing session during the early portions of Texas Longhorns spring practice. A handful of notes and observations… 

One thing I noticed and Harrison Chiuconfirmed seeing as well had to do with the quarterback position. First, Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card appeared to trade the “first in line in drills” spot several times. There were plenty of drills involving throwing to backs and receivers that required two quarterbacks at once, and those two took the first snap the times I observed quarterbacks during our very limited viewing window. But for the first time I can remember during 2022 spring practice media viewing sessions, I believe Ewers took a few reps as the first in line.

Another quarterback note involves Maalik Murphy. He is still running very gingerly on his injured ankle and has an obvious hobble, even though the ankle appears to just have tape on it. That said, during drills he was often third in line behind Ewers and Card and ahead of Ben Ballard, Charles Wright, and Cole Lourd.

During the nearly the entire viewing period, Steve Sarkisian was working with the offense or the quarterback room. The only time I saw AJ Milwee work on his own was when Sark was with the whole team during the special teams period. One thing I’ll ask today is how much he’s able to directly oversee the defense during the course of a practice.

Didn’t get to notice much from the whole defense or the offensive line, who rarely go through drills as a full left tackle to right tackle unit during the media viewing period.

Here is what I get to see during practice: When media arrives, Texas is finishing up a very light team throwing period before entering into the stretch periods. Offense is on one side of the field, while defense is on another. After stretch, the team goes into ball security drills with defenders trying to take the ball from offensive skill players. They typically match up by size. This drill is essentially running from the sideline to the hash, with one to two players trying to knock the ball loose while at a light jog.

After that comes a special teams period, which today was punt. Isaac Pearson is the No. 1 punter at this point and put up some good kicks. Zach Edwards is the long snapper. D’Shawn Jamison, Xavier Worthy, and Jordan Whittington were some of the players seen fielding punts.

Then, the offense and defense moves into some group work. 

Today, quarterbacks worked with running backs first on some interesting two-back sets with a back on either side of the quarterback. In one drill, the quarterback faked a handoff to one back before throwing a wheel route to another. That was followed by some misdirection plays that ended with the quarterback quickly flipping the ball forward for a high percentage pass.

As noted, Card still went first in line a few times. The running back pecking order remained the same and was seen when one back was in the drill at a time.

1: Hudson Card – Bijan Robinson
2: Quinn Ewers – Roschon Johnson
3: Maalik Murphy – Keilan Robinson
4: Ben Ballard – Jonathon Brooks
5: Charles Wright – Jaydon Blue
6: Cole Lourd – Jaden Hullaby

After this quarterbacks began throwing to wide receivers and tight ends on air while backs and linemen continued to work on individual position work.

Outside wide receiver pairings

1: Isaiah Neyor – Xavier Worthy
2: Marcus Washington – Kelvontay Dixon
3: Casey Cain – Gus Asel
4: Paxton Anderson – Thatcher Milton

Slot wide receiver

1: Jordan Whittington
2: Dajon Harrison
3: Parker Alford
4: Hamilton McMartin

Tight end

1: Ja’Tavion Sanders
2: Gunnar Helm
3: Jahleel Billingsley
4: Brayden Liebrock

Troy Omeire, Luke Brockermeyer, and Jaden Alexis are still in the modern equivalent of “the pit,” suited up but not actively going through drills. They are on the side working with members of Texas’ strength and conditioning staff on their rehab. Juan Davis was seen warming up but he again didn’t go through individual drills with the tight ends.

Won't pretend to be an insider, but I had a buddy who coaches HS ball who was in town for the coaching clinic last weekend and then was at today's practice. Said Ewers was definitely not as sharp today as he was Saturday and Card looked better overall.

We'll see if the 9.95ers corroborate.

Edited by Hookem2147

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Outside wide receiver pairings

1: Isaiah Neyor – Xavier Worthy
2: Marcus Washington – Kelvontay Dixon
3: Casey Cain – Gus Asel
4: Paxton Anderson – Thatcher Milton

Slot wide receiver

1: Jordan Whittington
2: Dajon Harrison
3: Parker Alford
4: Hamilton McMartin

When you see it spelled out like this... yikes. Very top heavy. Lets get Agiye Hall. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Won't pretend to be an insider, but I had a buddy who coaches HS ball who was in town for the coaching clinic last weekend and then was at today's practice. Said Ewers was definitely not as sharp today as he was Saturday and Card looked better overall.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kgj9xo8dpixs7o6nkt

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah okay Eric. 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic