2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

There’s really no reason to believe we’ll regress on the Oline. In almost any year, you get at least one guy who has improved or plays better than anticipated and beyond expectations.

The OL lost by far its best player, the only consistent plus OL, and specifically the only tackle proven to be even serviceable. It’s likely a true freshman, not even an EE, will be added to the lineup to replace him. There’s really not much of a reason to expect the OL be any better.

Better QB play may be enough to look a little better but Texas is not about to impose their will.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

He won his bowl game in 2013 and finished 9-4.

I guess I should have posted a link that had his actual coaching career record or something… 

Ian Mckellen Please GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

7702EC97-E9CD-4A5B-9857-B79288119C77.thumb.png.94e2d59168a54d32c3b3f21c97b783ff.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sarkisian

Sarkisian's consecutive seven-win seasons earned him the mocking nickname "Seven Win Steve".[18] Sarkisian would go on to win eight games in 2013 before taking the head coaching job at USC prior to Washington's bowl game.

Edited by lilMAC25

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

There’s really not much of a reason to expect the OL be any better.

Flood is taking home a little over 1.1 million dollars. Another year under his coaching should be enough of a reason to expect the returning OL to be improved.

Otherwise, fly the banner to fire him now.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fud said:

OBs

Reveal hidden contents

(DUNLAP)

I was able to catch up with a Texas high school coach this week who has been out at various UT spring practices as well as the coaches clinic that occurred last weekend. Here are some of his thoughts on the team, the coaching staff and more. It was interesting to hear the takeaways of somebody outside of the program:

On the offensive line:

- Kyle Flood loves Hayden Conner, would show reps to the HS coaches from practice and would comment on how Conner can play four different positions for them, both guards and both tackles.

- Sawyer Goram-Welch is working at center, he had to work with the twos on Saturday during the scrimmage because Junior Angilau was being held back, so Cole Hutson was with the first group filling in. Logan Parr moved to RG and Goram-Welch handled the center.

- Junior Angilau (along with Roschon Johnson) are the most vocal leaders of the team on offense. There was a fight at the scrimmage on Saturday between Anthony Cook and Jahleel Billingsley when Xavier Worthy was hit late on a trick-play pass where Worthy was the QB. Angilau, who was held out of the scrimmage because he a little banged up, had to be physically held back from joining the fray.

- This coach is friends with Tray Allen, who is the former Texas OL and the current OL coach at Duncanville HS. He says Allen was at practice Thursday and told him that Cam Williams is coming in ready to play. He said that Williams gives Flood what he wants AT GUARD and Flood has communicated to Allen that this is where he wants Williams to play. I had previously said I thought Williams can play RT (still think he can), but now we know that Flood's first preference is at guard, where Allen told this coach that Flood sees Williams in much the same mold of a Deonte Brown-type of behemoth interior lineman he had at Bama two years ago.

- Allen also told this coach that the staff loves Kelvin Banks and he'd be surprised if he doesn't at least get a shot to play left tackle right off.

On the tight ends

- Billingsley has been making moves to get more involved in recent practices, but JT Sanders and Gunnar Helm have both look great. Billingsley was being used as a flexed WR in a 4WR look where he was flexed off the line. It was a specialty role that the coach didn't see the other TEs taking part in.

- This coach was impressed with the way Sark used his three athletic TEs in practice because it was different than last season. "There's always someone curling inside to sit over the linebackers," he said. "Those guys are so athletic that if you don't get a safety coming down there, they can hurt you. Then, when the safety does come down, the top gets opened up for Worthy and those guys."

- He said that Sark and Jeff Banks pound the crap out of route-work and route-tree stuff with their TEs, so much more than Tom Herman did. "They were always with Herb Hand and the linemen (before)," he said. I told him that was hilarious because Herman literally split his TEs out as receiver over three times more frequently than Sark does.

On the RBs

- It is not breaking news to anyone that Texas has good RBs, but this coach says he's been coming to practices since he started coaching in the mid-2000s and it is clearly the best RB room he's seen.

- Plenty of 2RB running back sets, but not much sighting of Roschon Johnson as a wildcat QB, the staff is having to get every rep it can in evaluation of Ewers and Card.

- This coach noticed the same thing I did about recent LB-to-RB transitioner Jaden Hullaby, which is that he is a unit and hard to take down. "He looks like Chris Warren," he said. He also said he legitimately thought he would take over the Roschon role once Roschon moves on.

- He mentioned how much he loved new RB coach Tashard Choice. "He was the all-star of the clinic," he said. "He's all juice, all the time, doesn't matter if it's 6am or what. He got a big ovation after his presentation, he could be up there talking about how to brew coffee or something and it would get you fired up."

- He also said that Choice told a group of coaches at practice that this is the "most toys" he's ever had to play with as far as RB personnel. He also said "and don't worry, I have more coming." It's unclear who exactly he's referring to, but he's extremely confident about something this coach said.

On the QBs

- Surprisingly not much to be said here. He said that Quinn Ewers must have thrown five picks on Saturday (an exaggeration) but also had good enough moments to where he was pretty convinced he'll be the eventual starter. He said that the QB who played with the first OL was the better QB in practice and that playing behind the second OL just meant a lot of stuff that looked like unrehearsed jailbreaks.

On Sarkisian

- "He's more fired up this year," he said. "He's getting on kids more. He's not afraid to get on them when he's not happy with what he's seeing."

On Strength Coach Tori Becton

- Becton told some of the coaches in attendance that there was more focus on lifting and explosion this year than last. "He has a track background," the coach said. "Sark wants explosion and last season, they came in and saw guys Yancy had beefed up and wanted them to be more flexible, faster and quicker." This coach said flexibility and agility will always be part of Becton's M.O., but it is a more multi-pronged approach coming into Year 2 where the guys' bodies are more in line with what they want.

On the WRs

- Not too much talk about these guys, but I did find it interesting that this coach said that Xavier Worthy doesn't take the bus back to the locker room after practice. He just walks through the LBJ library parking lot like all the coaches.

On the DL

- This coach thought that Keondre Coburn is likely still starting because he is a senior but would not be surprised if Byron Murphy is basically starting by the time the season starts. "Murphy is better," he said, noting that Coburn's pad level in team drills is still a concern.

On the LBs

- LBs coach Jeff Choate told some of the HS coaches in attendance that the LB unit last season "couldn't break old habits," and at times he felt like the linebackers were "a step behind" in 2021. I think fans would agree. The focus has been on fundamentals, and about fitting the run better. "Trust your eyes is what we tell them," Choate said. "They're starting to trust the system more and trust their eyes, which is what we're looking for."

- This coach was impressed with Jaylan Ford and believes he will be a great complement to Demarvion Overshown. "Overshown is going to overrun a few plays for you, but on the next play he's going to blow someone up," he said.

On Gary Patterson

- "That dude is NOT just there collecting a paycheck," he laughed. Anwar has talked about how Patterson is always the first coach out at practice, but this coach echoed the sentiment: "He seems like he thinks he's going to be the one calling plays (next year)," he said. "That's how seriously he takes it."

- He said that Patterson seemed very interested in talking with the HS coaches in town, many of whom he already knew. This coach told Patterson that it was wild to see him in Texas gear, flashing the hook'em etc. and Patterson shrugged it off and said he loved it here. This coach, who has enormous respect for Patterson, says he thinks his impact on the team will be far greater than his title and reported salary would indicate

We're going undefeated. 

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The OL lost by far its best player, the only consistent plus OL, and specifically the only tackle proven to be even serviceable. It’s likely a true freshman, not even an EE, will be added to the lineup to replace him. There’s really not much of a reason to expect the OL [to] be any better.

We've always got baseball to fall back on--oh, wait . . .

IT

Another day, another Texas Longhorns football practice that included a decent amount of scrimmaging. A handful of notes from the day’s festivities.

-For “a half” there was a full-fledged scrimmage. The other half included a lot of third and fourth down situational work. To our source’s eye, the offense got the better of the defense. Quinn Ewers, who rotated in with both the first and second team, had several touchdown passes.

-Ewers also surrendered a pick-six to D’Shawn Jamison. The pass was intended for Casey Cain on a RPO, but it sounds like Jamison ran the route for Cain, hauled it in, and returned it for six points. Hudson Card also threw an interception on a tip-drill play.

-Ja’Tavion Sanders “looked like a five-star” during the scrimmage. Jahleel Billingsley also made a few plays early in the scrimmage.

-Bijan Robinson ran for a touchdown early on. He didn’t see very much action after that. Steve Sarkisian knows who butters the bread. Roschon Johnson played some too, but Keilan Robinson received the lion’s share of snaps at running back today.

-Our source noted there was a good amount of throws to the running backs in the course of the scrimmage, including in some empty looks that had Tashard Choice's charges running routes.

-Andrej Karic was limited in action today, according to our source. He dressed out but didn’t see a lot of snaps. Cole Hutson got a lot of run at right guard. Hayden Conner was playing left tackle in Karic’s place and did a good job for much of the practice. However, Barryn Sorrell beat Conner for a sack of Ewers during a red zone period.

-Justice Finkley also evaded Jaylen Garth for a pressure at one point.

-The defense ran stack looks again this week, but our source noted they were in a lot of nickel looks with Jahdae Barron manning that important defensive back position. In addition, our source saw a good amount of single high safety looks from the defense.

-Xavier Worthy caught a ball from Ewers over the middle of the field and made several defenders miss on his way to the end zone. It was called “the most impressive play of the day.” For that highlight, there was a lowlight when Worthy dropped what would have been a big gain on a post route not too long after.

-The first team defense held up against the second team offense. “They moved the ball some on them, but they couldn’t ever score.”

-DeMarvion Overshown played well, “starting” alongside Jaylan Ford. Keondre Coburn also drew mention for a goal-line stop, one of several flashes he had. Ovie Oghoufo and Jerrin Thompson also made some plays in the red zone.

-Jett Bush and Devin Richardson also rotated in at linebacker with Ford and Overshown.

-Maalik Murphy’s snaps were in 7on7 action.

-Our source noted Texas mixed up 11 and 12 personnel. If it was 11 personnel, Barron was on the field. If it was 12, then Texas played base. Barron played corner as well in recent scrimmages, not just at Star.

-Once again, Isaiah Neyor received snaps with the first team.

-We’ll have more as we gather more information from sources over the course of the weekend, but take note that Ochaun Mathis, to our source’s eye, “was in the mix with the players.”

We also heard one quick summary, “Very high tempo and fast! First team defense looks really good. Lots of weapons on offense. Ewers throws beautiful ball.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT

-The first team defense held up against the second team offense. “They moved the ball some on them, but they couldn’t ever score.”

Idk if that’s suppose to be good news or not. . . 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The first team defense held up against the second team offense. “They moved the ball some on them, but they couldn’t ever score.”

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well I would fucking hope so. There are people on the second team OL I've never heard of. 

Yeah, I believe our current 2nd team OL has like 2 walk ons and Max Merrill on it, so this this seems like a fly in the kool-aid if the first team D didn’t just completely shut that down. 

OBs

Spoiler

Had time to talk very briefly to a source that was at today's scrimmage.

A few notes to pass along:

1. It sounds like Quinn Ewers had himself another very positive afternoon in his battle with Hudson Card for the starting quarterback job. The person I spoke with said Ewers was the buzz of the entire practice, having thrown multiple touchdown passes on the day. This source also mentioned that Ewers also was intercepted by the starting defense (he didn't catch the name of the defender). I'm sure we'll get the name of the defender in the updates to this update.

2. "Xavier Worthy makes me want to scream when he gets the ball," the source said. "Just throw him the ball and get out of the way so that you don't accidentally push someone in the back that he's made miss. He posterized a couple of dudes today on the way to scoring a touchdown. I can't believe we have him for two more seasons."

3. Sounds like Hayden Conner played a lot of snaps today at left tackle. The line as a whole was described as improved over the last two times this source had watched them play. "I don't know if they have a player that stands out, but no one with the first group was a liability, either, especially since the offense had some really nice plays. Conner got beat a couple of times in one on one situations, but he wasn't a liability. He just didn't win every rep. That's about how I would describe all of those players with the 1s."

4. I asked if anyone on the defense showed up as a pass rusher, while Ochaun Mathis was on campus. The source said, "The only thing that happened there today is that Ochaun got to see with his own eyes just how much we need him on defense. No one on this defense is scaring him off."

5. Ja'Tavian Sanders was described as the best tight end on the roster "by a lot." The source said, "I'll climb out of my seat at DKR to find (Jeff Banks) if he's not playing the majority of the snaps at this position. With all due respect to the other tight ends, they do not belong to be talked about in the same tier with (Sanders)."

6. I asked about the running back position and was told that there wasn't really a single moment that he could remember when he wasn't checking in with his wife where something happened that was worth passing along. "The best plays on offense today came through the passing game with Ewers," the source said. "I thought the linebackers played pretty well today. (D-mo) Overshown has been getting better throughout the spring."

7. If Alabama transfer Agyie Hall was eyeballing the outside wide receiver spot opposite Xavier Worthy, he likely didn't see anything today from Isaiah Neyor or Marcus Washington that would likely scare him away. "He probably came away thinking that he'll never have to worry about seeing the other team's best cornerback if he comes to Texas because Worthy was the one everyone would have noticed."

8. I asked about Hudson Card: "He was fine," the source said. "I've thought that he's been a bit conservative this spring, more than he was last year. He's not making as many mistakes as Ewers, but he's also not quite making the big throws that I thought separated him in the spring last year from (Casey) Thompson."

9. On Ochaun Mathis: "I'll be shocked if he's not with us in the fall. He looked incredibly comfortable around all of the team."

10. Biggest concern from the scrimmage? "I really don't like the depth we have outside of the skill guys. It feels like we're probably one injury away at several positions from taking a real step back. It was something I found myself thinking about with the offensive line, the linebackers and even in the secondary. To me, there's a significant drop-off between our twos and our ones. If we find ourselves forced to play a lot of twos, I'll be really concerned."

Moore notes from the scrimmage.

Some other notes to consume...

11. Hudson Card had a pretty good practice in his own right, completing touchdown passes to Gunner Helm in goal line work, while also throwing a touchdown to Jordan Whittington. 

12. The run defense was pretty stout today. Outside of a 25-30 yard touchdown run by Bijan Robinson, the run game yards were hard to come by.

13. Marcus Washington caught 3-4 passes today. He stood out a little more on the day than Neyor, who did receive a fair share of first-team offensive reps.

14. Gunnar Helm joined Sanders in having a good day for the offense at the tight end position.

15. Heard very good things about D'Marvion Overshown from a second source.

Note: We hope to have updates from several sources on today's practice. We'll update this thread when we have a few more nuggets to pass along."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:10 PM, Had Enough said:

So I’ll ask simply this. Do you expect our Oline to be better next year? Even incrementally. Year 2. Good coaching. Additional year of maturity. Great incoming talent.

I expect a good old fashioned goat rodeo. You could have said the exact same thing every year for the past decade and just changed out the year number. And you would have been wrong every single time.

Until I see something that vaguely resembles competence (which would mean players actually improving throughout a season) my expectations are non-existent.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Rage+1 1

I expect a good old fashioned goat rodeo. You could have said the exact same thing every year for the past decade and just changed out the year number. And you would have been wrong every single time.
Until I see something that vaguely resembles competence (which would mean players actually improving throughout a season) my expectations are non-existent.

Fair enough.

It really comes down to whether Flood is better than the previous guys. This will be the most talented bunch we’ve had in that time.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Buckle your seat belt ladies.   We got ourselves an old fashioned quarterback duel!!   Remember even Steve Walsh started ahead of aikman for one year.   We’re asking for one game vs Monroe 

Walsh only started when Aikman was hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Maybe it’s more of Ovie is gonna do to Bama.

image.gif.c9aba16e682a062bd848c2c49f644204.gif

13 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Will Anderson is going to butt fuck this line so much Nowthis would blush 

Maybe we just line up in the gogo with 2 extra backs to block him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Fair enough.

It really comes down to whether Flood is better than the previous guys. This will be the most talented bunch we’ve had in that time.

Not this year. Freshmen All-American is maybe has average conference level play. If Flood gets average conference level play at LT, he will have killed it. This is one of my pet peeves with talent rankings. There is huge difference between a junior 5 star player and freshmen 5 star player. 

29 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

A 7-5 floor sounds about right. This is the most talented offense that we’ve had in a really long time

I’d set the market at 7-9 wins. Texas maybe favored in every game, sans Bama, but there will be a lot of -2/-3 type lines. I see 1 definite loss and maybe 3 definite wins (yes, I am counting Kansas)

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic