2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Buckle your seat belt ladies.   We got ourselves an old fashioned quarterback duel!!   Remember even Steve Walsh started ahead of aikman for one year.   We’re asking for one game vs Monroe 

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Walsh only started when Aikman was hurt.

Aikman started most of the games and lost all of the games he started. 

Walsh started less than half of the games, but managed to win one of them. 

Aikman had the stronger arm, but was slow to process the game. Walsh was much smarter than Aikman. 

Jimmy/Jerry then brought in Norv Turner and Turner installed an offense that had Troy throwing to a spot before players turned to look at the QB and that is when Troy bloomed… and Walsh was traded for a 1st rounder. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not this year. Freshmen All-American is maybe has average conference level play. If Flood gets average conference level play at LT, he will have killed it. This is one of my pet peeves with talent rankings. There is huge difference between a junior 5 star player and freshmen 5 star player. 

I’m just talking natural ability. I’m sure the plan is to have a frosh at LT, but I’m not counting Karic out as a contributor just yet. For a guy who came in needing development, he sure is being written off. Who knows about Garth, but injuries have slowed him. Both are hitting the point of expected contribution.

As good in pass pro as he was, Kerstetter didn’t get a combine invite. So the scouts must think his talent was lacking. And outside of Cosmi and Williams, we haven’t had many draft prospects over the past 10 years so the bar is not high.

I’d probably take Angilau in the run game over any guard we’ve had during this time. Majors compares favorably to any Center we’ve had. Jones, if he has any work ethic, will improve. Conners profile is favorable too. Depth is concerning, but we’ve got 5 that have seen the fire. They’ve all won their share of battles save Conner.

Now with respect to LT, if we get frosh all American, it is possible we improve at every other position. It is certainly possible that we regress. That’d be crappy coaching because I feel confident that QB and RB play will make them look better than last year.

10 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

A 7-5 floor sounds about right. This is the most talented offense that we’ve had in a really long time

When a team starts a new QB behind a (well) below average offensive line, what happens? Now, that same team is poor at generating a pass rush and has joke LBs.

I will be thrilled with 7 wins.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Until this oline proves differently, it sucks ass.  And a shitty oline gets you 7 wins...tops.  We have some serious skill players but they'll probably get dry-holed a ton b/c of our shit oline. 

Don’t sleep on how shitty the other side of the ball is. It’s pretty shitty. 

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Until this oline proves differently, it sucks ass.  And a shitty oline gets you 7 wins...tops.  We have some serious skill players but they'll probably get dry-holed a ton b/c of our shit oline. 

Well the ‘shitty’ OL should have gotten us 8 or 9 wins last year if we had a QB who could throw a forward pass the second half of the season and a defense who didn’t give up 57 points to a 3rd string QB at home.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well the ‘shitty’ OL should have gotten us 8 or 9 wins last year if we had a QB who could throw a forward pass the second half of the season and a defense who didn’t give up 57 points to a 3rd string QB at home.

My main concern will still be the defense. We win 8 games with league average defense last year. The offense should have a higher floor as the season goes on with the new talent but if we cannot fix this defense we are fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

My main concern will still be the defense. We win 8 games with league average defense last year. The offense should have a higher floor as the season goes on with the new talent but if we cannot fix this defense we are fucked. 

If you gave me the choice of improving only 1: the defense or OL, and the other one stayed the exact same as last year, I know which one I am choosing without hesistation.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you gave me the choice of improving only 1: the defense or OL, and the other one stayed the exact same as last year, I know which one I am choosing without hesistation.

The offense finished 25th in pts per drive and the defense finished 90th. The run game finished 2nd in the Big 12 (8th on defense). 2nd in scoring offense and 8th in scoring defense in the Big 12, but this is Surly so  4 out of 5 comments will be about the offense and OL. Surly will never let facts get in the way of a good rant 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The offense finished 25th in pts per drive and the defense finished 90th. The run game finished 2nd in the Big 12 (8th on defense). 2nd in scoring offense and 8th in scoring defense in the Big 12, but this is Surly so  4 out of 5 comments will be about the offense and OL. Surly will never let facts get in the way of a good rant 

I'm convinced that everyone is looking at this wrong. An OT would give our offense the equivalent of last year. Now, we have better receivers, QB, TE and running backs. We have depth coming in on the O-Line. All we need is a starting left tackle. On defense, we sucked at LB, DE, and safety. DB has been addressed. We are better there. DE might have been addressed this weekend. Basically, we are a linebacker away from being good on defense. Our defensive backs are solid. Our interior defensive line is solid. Our DEs and linebackers sucked. Address the DEs and linebacker and we become a decent to good defense.

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

OL Comment 1 of 4 incoming…. 

Offensive and defensive rankings are accurate, but I’d still argue that the OL improvement would be more beneficial. 

A competent OL (for the sake of this response, our improvement here gets us to that level) allows the offense as a whole to function. With the offensive weapons at skill positions this year, I’d argue that a competent OL could realistically add 14+ ppg 

The decreased pts allowed from a defensive improvement just doesn’t seem like it would be able to overcome the boost that solid OL play would account for 🤷🏼‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm convinced that everyone is looking at this wrong. An OT would give our offense the equivalent of last year. Now, we have better receivers, QB, TE and running backs. We have depth coming in on the O-Line. All we need is a starting left tackle. On defense, we sucked at LB, DE, and safety. DB has been addressed. We are better there. DE might have been addressed this weekend. Basically, we are a linebacker away from being good on defense. Our defensive backs are solid. Our interior defensive line is solid. Our DEs and linebackers sucked. Address the DEs and linebacker and we become a decent to good defense.

I don’t think the defense will be fixed. Even with Mathis on defense, you still have a huge depth concern. Talent and depth is a big problem on defense. Even if you are 100% certain the starters will be good, the defense is back to scary with 1 injury (interior DL being the exception )

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Offensive and defensive rankings are accurate, but I’d still argue that the OL improvement would be more beneficial. 

A competent OL (for the sake of this response, our improvement here gets us to that level) allows the offense as a whole to function. With the offensive weapons at skill positions this year, I’d argue that a competent OL could realistically add 14+ ppg 

The decreased pts allowed from a defensive improvement just doesn’t seem like it would be able to overcome the boost that solid OL play would account for 🤷🏼‍♂️

They were like top 15 in adjusted line yards according to Pro Football (which I think overstates it). Texas won 3 games in conference. 2 of those wins were with Sark being deathly afraid to throw the ball.  Thompson led the league in interceptions per attempt. I thought QB was a much bigger issue than OL. That isn’t to say the OL is great, but it wasn’t the biggest issues on offense. 

6 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

With weapons everywhere the offensive line just has to be average. The defense being one of the worst in school history is definitely where you’d want to improve. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

With weapons everywhere the offensive line just has to be average. The defense being one of the worst in school history is definitely where you’d want to improve. 

Well of course everyone would like to not have shit show for one side of the ball. 

Im just stating that I believe the improved OL would account for a greater point difference than an improved Defense.

hypothetically……

+14.5 ppg offensively (improved OL) 

vs

-9.5 ppg defensively (improved defensive)

The +5pt diff is the no brainer choice

Edited by The Deuce

1 minute ago, The Deuce said:

Well of course everyone would like to not have shit show for one side of the ball. 

Im just stating that I believe the improved OL would account for a greater point difference than an improved Defense.

hypothetically……

+14.5 ppg offensively (improved OL) 

vs

-9.5 ppg defensively (improved defensive)

The +5pt diff is the no brainer choice

Yeah well a defense that gave up 50+ to Kansas is a bigger issue imo. A defense that blew multiple second half leads. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I don’t think the defense will be fixed. Even with Mathis on defense, you still have a huge depth concern. Talent and depth is a big problem on defense. Even if you are 100% certain the starters will be good, the defense is back to scary with 1 injury (interior DL being the exception )

Agree with depth concerns on defense -- staying healthy will be a factor in their level of success.  Offense has to be better at time of possession and scoring (especially in the 2nd half of games) for this 2022 Texas team to get to 9-10 wins.  

This team needs to become more successful and dominant in the 2nd half of games -- really "put their foot on the throat" of their opponents.  Let's beat a lot more teams by 15pts or more !!!

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah well a defense that gave up 50+ to Kansas is a bigger issue imo. A defense that blew multiple second half leads. 

Piggy backing from my previous post, a +5 ppg difference via improved OL still has us giving up 50+, but we win. 

I don’t care if we win 63-60, or 10-7……. Gimme the W

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Agree with depth concerns on defense -- staying healthy will be a factor in their level of success.  Offense has to be better at time of possession and scoring (especially in the 2nd half of games) for this 2022 Texas team to get to 9-10 wins.  

This team needs to become more successful and dominant in the 2nd half of games -- really "put their foot on the throat" of their opponents.  Let's beat a lot more teams by 15pts or more !!!

2 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Piggy backing from my previous post, a +5 ppg difference via improved OL still has us giving up 50+, but we win. 

I don’t care if we win 63-60, or 10-7……. Gimme the W

You should care. If we have a good enough defense you don’t need to score 60 to win thus making it easier on the offensive line/offense. Why let your games turn into a last possession crap shoot. Just idiotic thinking all around by you on this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You should care. If we have a good enough defense you don’t need to score 60 to win thus making it easier on the offensive line/offense. Why let your games turn into a last possession crap shoot. Just idiotic thinking all around by you on this. 

Well the original options to pick from were an improved defense vs improved OL. Of course I want the defense to improve, but in this particular scenario the improvements to the D would be at the detriment of the OL’s enhanced performance . 

OL improvement ends up helping the defense by default anyway. Assists in sustaining drives (defense faces less snaps per game/allows rest time), and also enhances the ability to ice the games via ball control

5 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Well the original options to pick from were an improved defense vs improved OL. Of course I want the defense to improve, but in this particular scenario the improvements to the D would be at the detriment of the OL’s enhanced performance . 

OL improvement ends up helping the defense by default anyway. Assists in sustaining drives (defense faces less snaps per game/allows rest time), and also enhances the ability to ice the games via ball control

That works for any group. Offense is 95 Nebraska, sure that will help the defense. If the defense is the 85 Bears, that will help the offense. Being elite on any side is beneficial. The point was the offense was not terrible last year, despite the warts. The defense was bad. I don’t understand the general idea among Texas fans that the offense must be held to a higher standard than the defense 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic