2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

i always find it interesting when you go though the exercise of putting percentages next to it and add those up. When you ask how many wins and just answer, I am always 1-2 games higher. Its a bit of a reality check. I came back with I believe 7.8, despite saying only a dog vs Bama. 

If you're a 90% favorite in every single game for ten games, then the odds say you'll win 9 out of 10. Even if every game looks like a slam dunk.

Edited by Hornlover

22 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's easy to do that before the season starts. You could have said the same thing last year, except the only game we weren't going to be favored in was OU. And even after the debacle against Arkansas they got a bit of a mulligan after they pounded Tech and Rice, and they were only 4 point dogs in Dallas. The market really corrected after the OSU loss. Still they were getting 6 in the ISU game, which is the biggest spread they faced in any game last year. 

Disregarding the point spread, it really was a strange season last year. 

The conference as a whole should be down, I doubt we will see 5 B12 teams in the top 25 like there were at times last year. We should be favored against OU. The coin flips based on how the season unfolds will be Ok State, Baylor and potentially ISU depending on how they look early.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Humidor:

Jahdae Barron is a bit banged up. We might only see him at STAR rather than switching between STAR and corner. We’re not entirely sure. Ryan Watts and D’Shawn Jamison are the first corners if they’re in nickel. At the twos, we’ll see Terrance Brooks and Jamier Johnson at corner and Michael Taaffe at nickel.

Who da fucc is Michael Taaffe?

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

The conference as a whole should be down, I doubt we will see 5 B12 teams in the top 25 like there were at times last year. We should be favored against OU. The coin flips based on how the season unfolds will be Ok State, Baylor and potentially ISU depending on how they look early.

I would think OSU is a slight favorite, game is in Stillwater.  Baylor and ISU are both coming to DKR, so Texas would be a slight favorite. That is before we get any data though. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They all are terrible. We should win convincingly. 

I want to say OSU will not be good. Lost their DC, the entire back 7, top rusher, and top WR. Sanders should be back throwing Ints, but Gundy always seems to have them above expectations. '

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Well, of course. If the defense substantially improves and Ewers is really good from the start, then yes, we could have a nice season.

How many first year QB starters are "very solid" behind substandard o-lines?

Do you think our D will be significantly improved? Just because it can't be much worse doesn't mean it has to, by default, substantially improve. 

That's why it's called a ceiling. It's the best case scenario if the lines on both sides show improvement, the defense is better, and Ewers is solid. By no means is it likely to happen. 

21 hours ago, Fud said:

Cam is going to play guard, per recent info

They don't know what in the fuck they are talking about in regard to Williams, Agbo, or Neto and you shouldn't give any credence to anything being said about what happens with these guys until they're on campus and getting actual looks. Flood has not told a fucking human being anywhere that Williams is a guard.

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Hmmm. It seems like someone on this site, late in the season, stated that somewhere between 35-40 guys would be new on the roster for 2022 and that there was going to be a shit ton of turnover to get there.

Also, there is going to be more in a minute, and a few of the guys leaving are going to cause people on this board to shit themselves in agony.

8 hours ago, D3zii said:

I just want to be entertained , I could *not* care (space added to correct your idiotic language fuck-up) less. It’s (I don't believe for a second that you intentionally spelled "it's" correctly here. Just pure, dumb luck.) all controlled anyway. (I added the period for your dumb, lazy fucking ass.) 

I just want you to feign an attempt at writing something coherent. We don't always get what we want, however. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

They don't know what in the fuck they are talking about in regard to Williams, Agbo, or Neto and you shouldn't give any credence to anything being said about what happens with these guys until they're on campus and getting actual looks. Flood has not told a fucking human being anywhere that Williams is a guard.

Hmmm. It seems like someone on this site, late in the season, stated that somewhere between 35-40 guys would be new on the roster for 2022 and that there was going to be a shit ton of turnover to get there.

Also, there is going to be more in a minute, and a few of the guys leaving are going to cause people on this board to shit themselves in agony.

I just want you to feign an attempt at writing something coherent. We don't always get what we want, however. 

So the vast majority of spring games are still before the transfer date in 2022, right?  What do you have- until 2023 for it to shift or you lose our bet? So, 1 more year?

I don't like anything about that third paragraph.  I'm not shitting myself in agony in anticipation of shitting myself in agony later next week.  Not cool.  

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m going off of this 

“- This coach is friends with Tray Allen, who is the former Texas OL and the current OL coach at Duncanville HS. He says Allen was at practice Thursday and told him that Cam Williams is coming in ready to play. He said that Williams gives Flood what he wants AT GUARD and Flood has communicated to Allen that this is where he wants Williams to play. I had previously said I thought Williams can play RT (still think he can), but now we know that Flood's first preference is at guard, where Allen told this coach that Flood sees Williams in much the same mold of a Deonte Brown-type of behemoth interior lineman he had at Bama two years ago.”

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

I’m going off of this 

“- This coach is friends with Tray Allen, who is the former Texas OL and the current OL coach at Duncanville HS. He says Allen was at practice Thursday and told him that Cam Williams is coming in ready to play. He said that Williams gives Flood what he wants AT GUARD and Flood has communicated to Allen that this is where he wants Williams to play. I had previously said I thought Williams can play RT (still think he can), but now we know that Flood's first preference is at guard, where Allen told this coach that Flood sees Williams in much the same mold of a Deonte Brown-type of behemoth interior lineman he had at Bama two years ago.”

Yep, and I don't believe it's accurate for a second. Too much telephone being played. Outside of Banks and the white boys, I am guessing the other guys all get looks at both guard and tackle before jack shit is determined about where to from there.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Yep, and I don't believe it's accurate for a second. Too much telephone being played. Outside of Banks and the white boys, I am guessing the other guys all get looks at both guard and tackle before jack shit is determined about where to from there.

I think it is Hutson and Robertson on the inside (the white boys). Banks is at LT. After that Flood runs his version of Squid Games TExas Tackle with Agbo, Cam, Neto,  and Campbell. One to 2  will stay at tackle and the rest will scoot inside. I would kind tend to agree with you that 3 of the 7 are likely positionally set. The othe r4 will depend on a lot of factors. Down to things like who showed up as a fat bastard (you know 1 will). 

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So the vast majority of spring games are still before the transfer date in 2022, right?  What do you have- until 2023 for it to shift or you lose our bet? So, 1 more year?

I don't like anything about that third paragraph.  I'm not shitting myself in agony in anticipation of shitting myself in agony later next week.  Not cool.  

It was either 2023 or 2024. What were the stakes? Money? Some humiliating letter writing? Avatar changes? I don't remember. We should have saved that post exchange somewhere.

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Are you taking credit for something that Steve Sarkisian said himself?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It was either 2023 or 2024. What were the stakes? Money? Some humiliating letter writing? Avatar changes? I don't remember. We should have saved that post exchange somewhere.

writing a letter on Tom Herman, misunderstood genius.  I think it was "a couple years" so 2023.

My guess is Texas will favored in 8 or 9 games in 2022.    Bama, blOU and okie lite will all be favored against the Horns.

Texas Longhorns Schedule 2022
DATE OPPONENT      
Sat, 9/3 vs2433.png&w=40&h=40ULM      
Sat, 9/10 vs333.png&w=40&h=40ALA      
Sat, 9/17 vs2636.png&w=40&h=40UTSA      
Sat, 9/24 @2641.png&w=40&h=40TTU      
Sat, 10/1 vs277.png&w=40&h=40WVU      
Sat, 10/8 vs201.png&w=40&h=40OU *      
Sat, 10/15 vs66.png&w=40&h=40ISU      
Sat, 10/22 @197.png&w=40&h=40OKST      
Sat, 11/5 @2306.png&w=40&h=40KSU      
Sat, 11/12 vs2628.png&w=40&h=40TCU      
Sat, 11/19 @2305.png&w=40&h=40KU      
Sat, 11/26 vs239.png&w=40&h=40BAY      

Baylor will probably be favored. Really no idea on OU but I’d defer to them slightly for now, though my opinion from the Texas side is if you can’t get them this year, just shut it down. Don’t know what OSU’s schedule looks like beforehand but if they’re only a one or two loss team at that point they probably do get the nod.

I would think OSU is a slight favorite, game is in Stillwater.  Baylor and ISU are both coming to DKR, so Texas would be a slight favorite. That is before we get any data though. 

ISU comes to DKR early enough that Texas will be favored on name alone.

Baylor comes the last game of the year. It’ll be obvious they’re the better team by then.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

ISU comes to DKR early enough that Texas will be favored on name alone.

Baylor comes the last game of the year. It’ll be obvious they’re the better team by then.

That is projecting. I think Baylor is going to probably take a step back. They will once again lead the league in rushing. Passign game will be generally mediocre. They are losing a lot in the back end on defense. That includes Pitre and Bernard. That is going to leave a mark. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I’m going off of this 

Flood like most OL coaches prefers players to start at guard before moving them to tackle.

Joe Cook

The prize of Texas’ 2021 recruiting class was Ja’Tavion Sanders, an On3 Consensus five-star and the highest-rated prospect Steve Sarkisian inherited when he took over as head coach of the Longhorns in January of 2021.

[Get four months of Inside Texas Plus for just $1]

With a lofty rating, there was an expectation Sanders, who helped Denton (Texas) Ryan to a state championship in 2020, would make an immediate impact as a tight end in Sarkisian’s offense. While Sanders played in all 12 games, it was mostly on special teams. He didn’t catch a pass during his freshman season.

It made sense he couldn’t pass experienced players on the depth chart like Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley. Sanders was labeled as an athlete by On3 and other recruiting services, and he burst onto the scene as a two-way player for the Ryan Raiders. He spent much of his sophomore year at defensive end, but over time Sanders played more and more receiver. His senior year, he recorded only 12 tackles compared to his 1161 yards and 16 touchdowns on 63 catches.

It was clear that tight ends coach Jeff Banks would have to work extensively with Sanders. After a developmental year, Sanders has made real strides as a tight end this spring and is contending to be at the top of the depth chart when game one arrives next season.

“I think JT is a really cool example of, here’s a kid who was a five-star recruit coming to the University of Texas,” Sarkisian said Thursday. “And in this day and age, if a guy doesn’t play as a true freshman and start as a five-star, what’s wrong, you know? Something’s wrong with him. It’s this idea of instant gratification. Everybody builds these kids up and they’re just going to walk in and win the Mackey Award when they show up.

“I give JT and Gunnar (Helm) a lot of credit for putting in the work last year. I thought coach Banks did a really good job. I know they weren’t every week players for us offensively, but they worked at their craft.”

Much of the reason why Sanders spent most of his time on Saturdays on the sideline had to do with the various requirements of the position. Sanders was no longer just responsible for catching passes split wide. He had to deal with defensive ends, players who can match up physically with hi 6-foot-4, 253-pound frame. He had to learn his assignment in run-blocking, and learn how to effectively operate in that aspect of the game. He even needed to work on pass protection, something he almost was never tasked with at Ryan.

“I’ve said this numerous times to y’all that the quarterback is the most important position in sports,” Sarkisian said. “But the tight end in our offense is probably the second most important position because of all that we ask them to do.”

This spring, Sanders has been at the top of the depth chart for most of the recent practices, just ahead of Helm, Jahleel Billingsley, and others in Banks’ position group. Behind the scenes, he’s drawn praise for his work ethic during offseason conditioning, development at the position, and for his ability to catch the ball. He even had a standout performance at last week’s scrimmage.

Sanders’ development has him primed to become one of several weapons at Sarkisian’s disposal for his 2022 offense.

“I think he’s had a really good spring for us,” Sarkisian said. “He has really evolved as a player. I think he’s a much more confident and comfortable blocker, but he is definitely a weapon in the pass game.”

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Joe Cook

The prize of Texas’ 2021 recruiting class was Ja’Tavion Sanders, an On3 Consensus five-star and the highest-rated prospect Steve Sarkisian inherited when he took over as head coach of the Longhorns in January of 2021.

[Get four months of Inside Texas Plus for just $1]

With a lofty rating, there was an expectation Sanders, who helped Denton (Texas) Ryan to a state championship in 2020, would make an immediate impact as a tight end in Sarkisian’s offense. While Sanders played in all 12 games, it was mostly on special teams. He didn’t catch a pass during his freshman season.

It made sense he couldn’t pass experienced players on the depth chart like Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley. Sanders was labeled as an athlete by On3 and other recruiting services, and he burst onto the scene as a two-way player for the Ryan Raiders. He spent much of his sophomore year at defensive end, but over time Sanders played more and more receiver. His senior year, he recorded only 12 tackles compared to his 1161 yards and 16 touchdowns on 63 catches.

It was clear that tight ends coach Jeff Banks would have to work extensively with Sanders. After a developmental year, Sanders has made real strides as a tight end this spring and is contending to be at the top of the depth chart when game one arrives next season.

“I think JT is a really cool example of, here’s a kid who was a five-star recruit coming to the University of Texas,” Sarkisian said Thursday. “And in this day and age, if a guy doesn’t play as a true freshman and start as a five-star, what’s wrong, you know? Something’s wrong with him. It’s this idea of instant gratification. Everybody builds these kids up and they’re just going to walk in and win the Mackey Award when they show up.

“I give JT and Gunnar (Helm) a lot of credit for putting in the work last year. I thought coach Banks did a really good job. I know they weren’t every week players for us offensively, but they worked at their craft.”

Much of the reason why Sanders spent most of his time on Saturdays on the sideline had to do with the various requirements of the position. Sanders was no longer just responsible for catching passes split wide. He had to deal with defensive ends, players who can match up physically with hi 6-foot-4, 253-pound frame. He had to learn his assignment in run-blocking, and learn how to effectively operate in that aspect of the game. He even needed to work on pass protection, something he almost was never tasked with at Ryan.

“I’ve said this numerous times to y’all that the quarterback is the most important position in sports,” Sarkisian said. “But the tight end in our offense is probably the second most important position because of all that we ask them to do.”

This spring, Sanders has been at the top of the depth chart for most of the recent practices, just ahead of Helm, Jahleel Billingsley, and others in Banks’ position group. Behind the scenes, he’s drawn praise for his work ethic during offseason conditioning, development at the position, and for his ability to catch the ball. He even had a standout performance at last week’s scrimmage.

Sanders’ development has him primed to become one of several weapons at Sarkisian’s disposal for his 2022 offense.

“I think he’s had a really good spring for us,” Sarkisian said. “He has really evolved as a player. I think he’s a much more confident and comfortable blocker, but he is definitely a weapon in the pass game.”

It would be refreshing to actually have a TE as a receiving threat for once. It could drastically help the offense. A great tightend is a nightmare matchup for most defenses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Are you taking credit for something that Steve Sarkisian said himself?

Look, I am certainly not above doing something that absurd, and it caused me to laugh thinking about this board if I were to do something like that, but no. I wrote about coming through the grapevine about a month before Seven Loss Steve discussed some vagaries attached the premise at a PC. And to be clear, even when he did discuss it, he wasn't straightforward about it. He mentioned 32 new people and he knew all along that they were going to find way to make the numbers come in closer to 40 if they could.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Look, I am certainly not above doing something that absurd, and it caused me to laugh thinking about this board if I were to do something like that, but no. I wrote about coming through the grapevine about a month before Seven Loss Steve discussed some vagaries attached the premise at a PC. And to be clear, even when he did discuss it, he wasn't straightforward about it. He mentioned 32 new people and he knew all along that they were going to find way to make the numbers come in closer to 40 if they could.

Fair enough, it was a legitimate question IMHO. I recalled Sark discussing it and didn't recall when the 2 conversations took place and wasn't going to hunt it down. Thanks for the reply.

22 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

After the spring game I’m expecting to lose at a minimum 1 but more than likely 2 DT, a safety And WR to the transfer portal. 

My guess is that they pull the plug on guys like Hookfin, Ibrahim (if they haven't already), Goram-Welch, Merrill, Dorbah. 

They are also going to have to tell one of the freshmen incoming class to hold off until January to enroll due to numbers if Mathis commits. If Caleb Johnson commits they would have to do that to two I believe. Lance St. Louis would be the obvious one, but I don't know that you can assume Will Stone would be the second one. It might have to be someone like Zac Swanson or Austin Jordan?

15 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

My guess is that they pull the plug on guys like Hookfin, Ibrahim (if they haven't already), Goram-Welch, Merrill, Dorbah. 

They are also going to have to tell one of the freshmen incoming class to hold off until January to enroll due to numbers if Mathis commits. If Caleb Johnson commits they would have to do that to two I believe. Lance St. Louis would be the obvious one, but I don't know that you can assume Will Stone would be the second one. It might have to be someone like Zac Swanson or Austin Jordan?

With “NIL” I would expect them to just ask somebody to “walk on” if needed for the numbers. I know Beard has told a few walk on offers that with NIL he didn’t expect their families to have to come out of pocket to pay for school. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Dude, there is going to be some actual pain, not just also-rans. I hope not, but I expect it. 

As to greyshirting, I think you're presuming too much. 

16 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

With “NIL” I would expect them to just ask somebody to “walk on” if needed for the numbers. I know Beard has told a few walk on offers that with NIL he didn’t expect their families to have to come out of pocket to pay for school. 

Have you heard any of this regarding the FB team though? I've been a part of multiple walk-on discussions for NIL with several different groups working on this stuff. The BYU premise isn't getting anyone involved at Texas very excited right now. Maybe making it happen in a one-offish kind of scenario will get buy-in though.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic