2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

That is projecting. I think Baylor is going to probably take a step back. They will once again lead the league in rushing. Passign game will be generally mediocre. They are losing a lot in the back end on defense. That includes Pitre and Bernard. That is going to leave a mark. 

Uh, it’s April; this entire conversation, thread, and board is projecting.

5 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Actually, no, it made zero sense.

The most significant point of the entire article is about not expecting every 5 star to be a instant starter.  It sort of works out that you have long development and short development players in the same cycle who are all highly ranked, don't you think?    

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, there is going to be some actual pain, not just also-rans. I hope not, but I expect it. 

As to greyshirting, I think you're presuming too much. 

I agree. I think the board is going to go up in flames when/if the DT’s leaves. Those are the ones I want to stay that are expected to leave. 

The secondary could take a hit from a name stand point but the secondary play hasn’t been great in the past so it is what it is. 

I would expect an “walk-on” deal to be an one off to make number works this year versus an actual program to help a large group of walk on. I just know the staff isn’t worried about numbers at all and if somebody that can help them win enters the portal they are going to go after them. That doesn’t mean they will get said players, cause as we all know they have thought they had kids plenty of times in the past recruiting cycle.  

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I would think OSU is a slight favorite, game is in Stillwater.  Baylor and ISU are both coming to DKR, so Texas would be a slight favorite. That is before we get any data though. 

We won’t be favored in any of those games lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I would expect an “walk-on” deal to be an one off to make number works this year versus an actual program to help a large group of walk on. I just know the staff isn’t worried about numbers at all and if somebody that can help them win enters the portal they are going to go after them. That doesn’t mean they will get said players, cause as we all know they have thought they had kids plenty of times in the past recruiting cycle.  

giphy.gif

On 4/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, LTtxfan said:

To be fair, any team that brings in 25 new scholarship players is replacing 30% of their roster.

Plenty of teams over the last several years have signed classes bigger than 25. So 40% isn't some huge outlier, especially with the covid waiver for transfers. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, there is going to be some actual pain, not just also-rans. I hope not, but I expect it. 

Have you heard any of this regarding the FB team though? I've been a part of multiple walk-on discussions for NIL with several different groups working on this stuff. The BYU premise isn't getting anyone involved at Texas very excited right now. Maybe making it happen in a one-offish kind of scenario will get buy-in though.

So, it's gonna be Jett Bush and Luke Brockermeyer?

In all seriousness, a few upperclassmen DT that are already being pushed by freshmen will likely be in the portal. We took way too many d-linemen to let the old and full-of-never-realized-potential guys play significant snaps this year.

58 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I agree. I think the board is going to go up in flames when/if the DT’s leaves. Those are the ones I want to stay that are expected to leave. 

The secondary could take a hit from a name stand point but the secondary play hasn’t been great in the past so it is what it is. 

It won’t bother me if Coburn leaves. Collins seems like the most likely flight risk, but we apparently can’t figure out how to use him properly and/or motivate him, which is a shame. Ojomo seems bought in, Murphy seems like he’s got a starting job if he wants it. Sweat seems like he could be on the fence, but would probably be one of the starters if we play 3 down linemen. 

20 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

It won’t bother me if Coburn leaves. Collins seems like the most likely flight risk, but we apparently can’t figure out how to use him properly and/or motivate him, which is a shame. Ojomo seems bought in, Murphy seems like he’s got a starting job if he wants it. Sweat seems like he could be on the fence, but would probably be one of the starters if we play 3 down linemen. 

Great Worthy and Ewers are transferring

• Haha 3

Collins is far and away the biggest "heartburn" DT to leave.  I have no way of judging the scuttlebutt, but that guy is one light switch away from being all-conference or better.  I don't understand why he hasn't taken off already, which is obviously the concern, but some guys just take time.  Hope it isn't him.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Have you heard any of this regarding the FB team though? I've been a part of multiple walk-on discussions for NIL with several different groups working on this stuff. The BYU premise isn't getting anyone involved at Texas very excited right now. Maybe making it happen in a one-offish kind of scenario will get buy-in though.

Is there anyone specific you’re worried about/hearing rumors about? Or is this more of a “we are a bad team and statistically there is a high likelihood Alabama/Georgia/Ohio State etc. makes a push to poach our best guys” kinda deal?

Coburn, Warren, and Broughton haven’t shown much, and I’m not real sure they ever will. Sweat has the ability to be much better but rarely shows it. If the light comes on for him, he’s an NFL player. I’d love to see them all get their degrees from UT and excel on the field for us, but other than Sweat, I won’t be having a panic attack if they leave. 

Edited by Duane Moore

46 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Is there anyone specific you’re worried about/hearing rumors about? Or is this more of a “we are a bad team and statistically there is a high likelihood Alabama/Georgia/Ohio State etc. makes a push to poach our best guys” kinda deal?

He's saying that he's heard rumors that some big names are leaving, but he's not going to name any names, out of respect to the players and/or his sources. It's an exercise left up to the reader to determine who that might be. 

If you stick to the premise of "a few of the guys leaving are going to cause people on this board to shit themselves in agony", you're left with

#1 It's probably dudes that think they should start, but aren't (the #1 reason players enter the portal). 

#2 They're probably well thought of by the fandom

#1 precludes most of our locked-in starters, and #2 precludes any of our O-Lineman, or second string LBs , and backup QBs. 

There's a backlog at RB - Brooks, Blue, Keilan are all candidates to go looking for greener pastures.

Backup TE  (whoever isn't getting starter minutes out of Sanders,Billingsley, Helm, Liebrock) could be gone

4th-6th WR - Funny enough, we now have enough depth that any of Cain, Dixon, or Omeire might fit the bill (not sure if any of them really would cause Agony)

Secondary - We have 10 dudes for 5 spots. Jameson, Cook, Crawford, Barron, J Thompson, Watts, Guilbeau, Crawford, Coffee, Blackwell. Not sure if any have cemented a starter position or if losing one or two would cause much agony. The freshmen probably aren't leaving already, and the others are gonna get lots of minutes.

DL - This is where the most likely attrition comes from. We have seniors and juniors with Sweat, Coburn, Ojomo, Oghoufo, Collins. Are they losing minutes to Broughton, Sorrell, Murphy? Or are those three guys unable to unseat the upperclassmen and looking to move on. There's also Bledsoe, Bryant, Finkley, Tapp, Swanson, Ross all knocking at the door. Any of these are big enough names that they might cause agony.

8 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

He's saying that he's heard rumors that some big names are leaving, but he's not going to name any names, out of respect to the players and/or his sources. It's an exercise left up to the reader to determine who that might be. 

If you stick to the premise of "a few of the guys leaving are going to cause people on this board to shit themselves in agony", you're left with

#1 It's probably dudes that think they should start, but aren't (the #1 reason players enter the portal). 

#2 They're probably well thought of by the fandom

#1 precludes most of our locked-in starters, and #2 precludes any of our O-Lineman, or second string LBs , and backup QBs. 

There's a backlog at RB - Brooks, Blue, Keilan are all candidates to go looking for greener pastures.

Backup TE  (whoever isn't getting starter minutes out of Sanders,Billingsley, Helm, Liebrock) could be gone

4th-6th WR - Funny enough, we now have enough depth that any of Cain, Dixon, or Omeire might fit the bill (not sure if any of them really would cause Agony)

Secondary - We have 10 dudes for 5 spots. Jameson, Cook, Crawford, Barron, J Thompson, Watts, Guilbeau, Crawford, Coffee, Blackwell. Not sure if any have cemented a starter position or if losing one or two would cause much agony. The freshmen probably aren't leaving already, and the others are gonna get lots of minutes.

DL - This is where the most likely attrition comes from. We have seniors and juniors with Sweat, Coburn, Ojomo, Oghoufo, Collins. Are they losing minutes to Broughton, Sorrell, Murphy? Or are those three guys unable to unseat the upperclassmen and looking to move on. There's also Bledsoe, Bryant, Finkley, Tapp, Swanson, Ross all knocking at the door. Any of these are big enough names that they might cause agony.

Who cares. Starters won’t leave, anyone who isn’t a starter is pretty much whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Who cares. Starters won’t leave, anyone who isn’t a starter is pretty much whatever. 

Exactly. Collins and Crawford are about the only two “maybe non-starters” that I would hate to lose, and it isn’t because of anything they’ve shown on the field so far. 

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Accounting for past seasons when we had 6 scholarship OL and our QBs' heads were falling off, I hesitate to willingly give up experienced depth anywhere on this team. 

Forgot about Warren, Harris, and Dorbah. 

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Lots of people care. There's that whole 'jilted ex syndrome'.

We just prefer they end up more like Joshua Moore and less like Byron Vaughns. 

Collins is far and away the biggest "heartburn" DT to leave.  I have no way of judging the scuttlebutt, but that guy is one light switch away from being all-conference or better.  I don't understand why he hasn't taken off already, which is obviously the concern, but some guys just take time.  Hope it isn't him.

In the 2-4 Collins was a man without a position. He could probably play tackle well in a traditional 4-man front. But not with Bush and Oghoufu getting obliterated or running out of the play.

Its a actually a common problem we’ve had for a long time now. Talented players cycling thru coaches and schemes. Our new coaches then end up with a bunch of spare parts
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, immamac said:

If you’re leaving because you can’t start for this team get the fuck out and good riddance

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So you want Jonathan Brooks and Keilan Robinson to GTFO?  How about Juan Davis?  Maybe Card and Charles Wright should both leave too. 

bingo. if you’re second string you’re first loser and you can fuck off. all we need are 22 players who want to win. 

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So you want Jonathan Brooks and Keilan Robinson to GTFO?  How about Juan Davis?  Maybe Card and Charles Wright should both leave too. 

If they don’t wanna be here and are pussies about not starting? Bye, bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

bingo. if you’re second string you’re first loser and you can fuck off. all we need are 22 players who want to win. 

If you want it bad enough, you'll play both ways. We should be able to get that number under 20 easily, tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Actually I misread your post.  Why the fuck do you think I want them to leave based on what I said? I said if they want to leave they can get the fuck out

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

After the spring game I’m expecting to lose at a minimum 1 but more than likely 2 DT, a safety And WR to the transfer portal. 

Just curious -- with all the NIL stuff coming out now like the $50k/yr paid to each scholarship player at blOU, how will that affect coaches abilities to run off  players on scholarship ???

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They don't know what in the fuck they are talking about in regard to Williams, Agbo, or Neto and you shouldn't give any credence to anything being said about what happens with these guys until they're on campus and getting actual looks. Flood has not told a fucking human being anywhere that Williams is a guard.

Hmmm. It seems like someone on this site, late in the season, stated that somewhere between 35-40 guys would be new on the roster for 2022 and that there was going to be a shit ton of turnover to get there.

Also, there is going to be more in a minute, and a few of the guys leaving are going to cause people on this board to shit themselves in agony.

I just want you to feign an attempt at writing something coherent. We don't always get what we want, however. 

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, my reaction to that post was to lament how far we’ve fallen to get to the point where people list Juan Davis, Hudson Card and Charles Wright as examples of guys we really can’t afford to lose as transfers.  Our lightly recruited 4th string tweener TE, the QB who lost his job to Casey Thompson, and a QB that will never play?   We used to fret about losing Ramonce Taylor in the good old days.  

I feel like there is a conceivable scenario where we lose Keilan.

8 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

In the 2-4 Collins was a man without a position. He could probably play tackle well in a traditional 4-man front. But not with Bush and Oghoufu getting obliterated or running out of the play.

Its a actually a common problem we’ve had for a long time now. Talented players cycling thru coaches and schemes. Our new coaches then end up with a bunch of spare parts

This is the concern with Collins. He just doesn’t seem to have a fit in PK’s system. 

And yes, there is the argument to be made that if your system can’t find a place for Alfred Collins, you need a better system, but that’s a whole other issue. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic