2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

fixed it for you... Can we just say "95% of the portal is made of jags . The other 5% is talented." and move on? 
(that is probably being generous, if anything)

Thanks, I meant can’t….and with NIL in the picture, nobody knows how the portal will look in 5 years. More and more studs on a middle of the pack team will be lured away by big programs.

40 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sounds like them freshmen better be ready to play.

Fuck it. Inside zone to Bijan on 1st and 10 for 4 yards. 2nd and 6 dump to Bijan in the flat for 4 yards. 3rd and 2 bubble screen to Worthy for the TD.

Every. fucking. drive. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

TIL I don’t know shit about football. What’s the difference between stretch and outside zone?

Outside zone is trying to get the ball carrier to cut upfield, stretch is trying to get the ball carrier all the way outside. The blocking is different - someone else can explain it more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They can be used interchangeably.  You'd have to ask the author exactly what he meant.

The runner's aim point on outside zone typically targets the outside of the TE, while in stretch he'll take at least 3 steps to the sideline before making a sharp cut.

You may or may not cut the backside defensive lineman either play, but it's probably more common to cut with a stretch.

Ian Boyd: How to add freshman to the Texas offensive line

Starting a freshman tackle may not be ideal but it’s not foreign to Texas or college football. The 2011 Texas Longhorns started true freshman Josh Cochran at left tackle and the right tackle was Trey Hopkins, a sophomore who’d started four games at guard the year before as a true freshman. The 2015 Longhorns started true freshman Connor Williams at left tackle. In 2017 they had to start Derek Kerstetter as a true freshman at right tackle and in 2018 he was replaced there by redshirt freshman Sam Cosmi.

None of those teams were excellent, but several of those players were really quite solid as first-year players and all of them ended up being good players save for Josh Cochran, who was derailed by injuries.

In the playoff era, there’s been one National Champions who started a true freshman on the line. Sean Pollard was Clemson’s right tackle in 2016. Another five champions had a second year player, either a redshirt freshman or sophomore, starting somewhere on the line. In 2015 Alabama cleared out the left side for Derrick Henry with sophomore tackle Cameron Robinson and redshirt freshman guard Ross Pierschbacher.

Texas isn’t winning the National Championship in 2022, but it’s not a disaster to start a truly elite freshman on the line and Kyle Flood hopes he has as many as two such players in this class. The question is how to fit them with the returning veterans.

Where is Texas adding elite talent?

There are two freshman O-linemen everyone is anticipating will find the field sooner or later in 2022, 5-stars Devon Campbell and Kelvin Banks. The overall On3 ratings for all the incoming players are quite impressive though.

•     Devon Campbell: 6-foot-3, 325 pounds. 97.80
  •     Kelvin Banks: 6-foot-5, 315 pounds. 97.22
  •     Neto Umeozulu: 6-foot-4, 285 pounds. 94.42
  •     Cameron Williams: 6-foot-5, 375 pounds. 90.67
  •     Malik Agbo: 6-foot-5, 329 pounds. 89.25
  •     Cole Hutson: 6-foot-5, 315 pounds. 88.75
  •     Connor Robertson: 6-foot-4, 296 pounds. 88.55

As a general rule, recruiting rankings are basically a proxy for athleticism and pure measurables. The higher the score, the more natural athleticism you’ll find in a player. Texas is bringing in a number of guys with a ton of size and in some cases a massive amount of natural athleticism as well.

Beyond the obvious two, three other players stand out as having some “immediate impact” potential. There were times in the last cycle where I thought Neto Umeozulu was the purest tackle prospect in the state, later on I suspected Cameron Williams might have the highest upside for how easily he moves forwards or backwards at 350+ pounds. Cole Hutson is already on campus receiving instruction and looks much more comfortable and natural in pass protection than you would have expected for a guy who’s high school film featured a dominant run blocker.

Any of those three could potentially start at guard with an outside shot at tackle. Banks is an obvious tackle, and Campbell has a less clear projection. Campbell’s lack of height and ridiculous highlights as a pulling run blocker all scream guard, but his wide base, quickness, and long arms (81″ wingspan, like a 6-foot-11 person) could easily make him a tackle. Odds are Texas will start a freshman tackle and potentially also a freshman guard. Steve Sarkisian isn’t mincing any words either on the expectations.

“I think it’s pretty critical when you think about we get eight weeks in the summer, and we get two hours a week of on-field skill development. Sixteen hours is a lot of time to be able to be on the field with your players, and for us that’s critical, 1) for returners, but 2) for a lot of our newcomers. I think that it’s great timing for us obviously with the amount of linemen that we have coming in here that weren’t able to participate in spring practice that coach (Kyle) Flood can get his hands on and start working on some of the fundamentals and techniques needed to they’re prepared for fall camp.”

The new rules on summer coaching allowances will be key for Texas in setting up the freshmen to play early.

Building a starting five

The starting point for Texas this fall will be in determining who the best left tackle on the roster is. Spring showed the answer may be Hayden Conner, possibly Andrej Karic, but not Christian Jones or Jaylen Garth. Next up for Flood is determining whether Banks, Campbell, or another freshman is either better than Karic or Conner or close enough but with a higher upside. If he can figure that out before fall camp, more’s the better.

Hayden Conner has a case for being the best O-lineman on the team. Ideally he’d be put in a position where he can focus on one position to maximize his potential for the 2022 season. Instead, he’ll probably vacillate between guard and tackle based on which freshmen need to see the field and where. Next, Texas can either pair the best guard and tackle together to force defenses to adjust to them OR they could go another route and pair guards and tackles based on who needs help. For instance, Junior Angilau is going to be a major help to any tackle outside of him because he can tell him what to do every snap.

So do you pair Angilau with the best tackle? Or the one who needs him to tell them what to do? From what we’ve seen of Kyle Flood and with his emphasis on multiplicity over pure execution, I think the latter. Sark commented on this recently:

So the two main dominoes to consider are A) who’s the best tackle? and B) how do you pair freshmen with veterans? Let’s game out four scenarios for a sense of how this could go. Scenario one, no one can beat Conner at left tackle.

•     Left tackle: Conner
  •     Left guard: Campbell/Hutson/etc
  •     Center: Jake Majors
  •     Right guard: Angilau
  •     Right tackle: Jones/Banks/Campbell

Now you have an opening at guard left by Conner and right tackle still might see a freshman start, in which case Angilau could move to the right to help the weaker and potentially less experienced tackle.

Scenario two, Kelvin Banks (or Campbell or another freshman) is the best tackle on the team in the fall.

•     Left tackle: Banks
  •     Left guard: Angilau
  •     Center: Majors
  •     Right guard: Conner
  •     Right tackle: Jones

Angilau can help Banks know what to do and Conner is a great help to Jones on the right side. Scenario three, Banks is the top tackle and Devon Campbell is one of the best five players but he’s at his best at guard.

•     Right guard: Campbell
  •     Right tackle: Conner

Conner will be one of the five best so Jones heads to the bench. Pairing Campbell and Banks on the left side would be nice but Texas is probably a year away from getting there with scheme familiarity. In this lineup, both freshman are flanked by a veteran. Scenario four, the two best tackles on the team are Banks and Campbell.

•     Right guard: Conner
  •     Right tackle: Campbell

Now you have a massive pair of veteran guards and then sheer athleticism and length on the edges. This might be the highest upside line for Texas. There’s a lot of ways this could go, we’ll have to wait and see which of the freshmen emerge and how far up the pecking order their talent can take them.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Vacillate?

Connor’s not out there dithering around and debating himself on the pros and cons of where he should play. These guys should not try to use GRE words.

Yeah, I was gonna give him + for using vacillate and even spelling it right, but then there was the negation for completely failing to understand the root meaning, for a net "mehhh". It would have required Sr Montoya opining on word usage, and I just didn't feel like taking the effort.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I mean, thanks for saying the right thing here Coach...

...but also you were on the sideline while your offense stomped a mudhole in tOSU to literally win the national championship, so I bet that was pretty cool.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah having a panic attack early in the 4th quarter was super cool. I hope we can do that again. 

I usually can’t pinpoint one specific day or event that adversely affects my long term health but I know for a fact the end of that game shortened my life by several years.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I usually can’t pinpoint one specific day or event that adversely affects my long term health but I know for a fact the end of that game shortened my life by several years.  

Didn't help that later that evening atm beat Alabama.

59 minutes ago, stork642 said:

As soon as every bounce went our way in the first half and we were leading by 21+ points I knew we would fucking blow it. 

7 hours ago, tokamak said:

I mean, thanks for saying the right thing here Coach...

...but also you were on the sideline while your offense stomped a mudhole in tOSU to literally win the national championship, so I bet that was pretty cool.

Believe he said 

“there’s nothing like……”

Theres nothing like winning a national championship 

and

theres NOTHING like the Red River Shootout.

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:
Yes he “decision” is made already man.  

In other words, sooner than last year, but too late for Card to realistically transfer and play somewhere else. Just as it should be lol

SMU will take em

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic