2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Depends on what you think "plays the best" means. Quinn will likely throw more interceptions than Card would because he takes more risks with the ball, probably tries to fit it into tighter windows etc. But the spectacular plays he is regularly capable of making still gives us the best chance to win. 

Does throwing less interceptions mean Card plays "better", but Ewers high risk/reward gives us a better chance to win? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know shit about fuck.

I thought Quinn would throw more INT's that Card because Card has a tendency to eat the ball rather than throw it....

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Depends on what you think "plays the best" means. Quinn will likely throw more interceptions than Card would because he takes more risks with the ball, probably tries to fit it into tighter windows etc. But the spectacular plays he is regularly capable of making still gives us the best chance to win. 

Does throwing less interceptions mean Card plays "better", but Ewers high risk/reward gives us a better chance to win? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know shit about fuck.

Card needs to prove that he can handle pressure and not self-sack before the conversation around his willingness to take risks even matter. I hope that he developed that poise during the off-season but we won’t know until we see him out there. I have a feeling both QBs are going to play early season no matter what.

19 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

See: Simms vs. Applewhite 

Thx @Tylerocks

Forgot about retired numbers

The Longhorns have retired a total of six numbers in their football programs history. There have been other great players that have graced the Forty Acres, but did not have the impact that these six had.

Let’s take a look at who the Texas football program has immortalized:

Tommy Nobis: #60

Linebacker/Guard

Jersey retired: Sept. 13, 2008

Bobby Layne: #22

Quarterback

Jersey retired: Sept. 13, 2008

Ricky Williams: #34

Stephen Dunn /Allsport

Running back

Jersey retired: Sept. 30, 2000

Earl Campbell: #20

Running back

Jersey retired: Nov. 24, 1979

Vince Young: #10

Quarterback

Jersey retired: August 30, 2008

Colt McCoy: #12

Quarterback

Jersey retired: Oct. 30, 2010

22 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Isn't Nobis' number only mostly retired?  

Yeah, it still gets worn on special occasions (I think)

I know DJ wore it once, maybe his last home game?

Breckyn Hager wore it 2x.  Once in the Texas bowl a couple weeks after Tommy passed away and then again the next year for OU.

Not sure how/who unretires it for single game use.  Del Conte make the call?  The former player or family of the former player(deceased)

I honestly didn't remember 22 being retired.  Oops, sorry Bobby.

Edited by Tylerocks

That’s a lot of words to say he doesn’t hold many records anymore and hasn’t for quite some time. 

*Glancing the UT records now, he’s actually not even top ten in any offensive category anymore from what I see. Game, season, or career.

Edited by Helobious
  • Fuck You 2

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s a lot of words to say he doesn’t hold many records anymore and hasn’t for quite some time. 

*Glancing the UT records now, he’s actually not even top ten in any offensive category anymore from what I see. Game, season, or career.

his last year playing CFB was 1947. of course he isn't leading most categories anymore!

https://texassports.com/documents/2013/8/30/FB-individual-rushing-passing-receiving.pdf?id=2412

image.thumb.png.03980253fcfffbea227c96a4d8d625cd.png

notice anything different about the years he played vs the rest of those on the list ahead of him?

image.png.c50ca2b4238b79032699cc932e61eb5c.png

he is *still* #3 on all time QB victories in his career even though he played 60 years ago.

you may not think he deserves to have his number retired but you are clearly looking through a more recent lens than an all time lens. do you think Tommy Nobis isn't good because his name isn't all over the (current) Texas defensive records?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Tebow has almost all of Florida’s offensive records, a heisman, and 2 titles. They still use his number. Layne has none of those things. 

Florida literally has zero retired numbers. They used to have two, then un-retired them in the 90s.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Layne Collegiate Records

• NCAA & Cotton Bowl – Most Touchdowns Responsible For, bowl game (6), tied by Chuck Long in 1984, Dan LeFevour in 2007 and Paul Smith in 2008
  • NCAA & Cotton Bowl – Most Points Responsible For, bowl game (40)
  • NCAA – Highest completion rate (min. 10 attempts), bowl game (0.917), surpassed by Mike Bobo in 1998
  • NCAA – Most points scored, bowl game (28), surpassed by Barry Sanders in 1988
  • UT – Most Pass attempts, career (400), surpassed by Bret Stafford in 1986
  • UT – Most Pass completions, career (210), surpassed by Stafford in 1986
  • UT – Passing Yards, career (3,145), surpassed by Stafford in 1986
  • UT – Lowest percentage of passes intercepted (minimum 300 passes), career (7.8%), surpassed by Donnie Little in 1981
  • UT – Most starts, career (34), surpassed by Marty Akins in 1975
  • UT – Best winning percentage (minimum 1 season), career (80.5%), surpassed by T Jones in 1952
  • UT – Most quarterback victories, career (28), surpassed by Vince Young in 2005
  • UT – Most touchdowns, game (4), tied by Jim Bertelsen in 1969, Steve Worster in 1970, Earl Campbell in 1977 and A.J. "Jam" Jones in 1979; surpassed by Ricky Williams in 1997
  • UT – Most touchdown passes, career (25), surpassed by Peter Gardere in 1992
  • UT – Most points scored, game (28), broke his own record of 24 set earlier that year, surpassed by Williams in 1997
  • Cotton Bowl – Most consecutive completions, game (8), tied by Tony Graziani in 1996 and Clint Stoerner in 2000
  • Cotton Bowl – Highest completion rate (min. 10 attempts), game (0.917)
  • Cotton Bowl – Most points scored, game and career (28)
  • Cotton Bowl – Most touchdowns, game & career (4), tied by Tony Temple in 2008
  • Cotton Bowl – Most Points Responsible For, career (40)
  • Cotton Bowl – Most Touchdowns Responsible For, game & career (6)
  • Cotton Bowl – Most points rushing, game (18), surpassed by Temple in 2008
  • Cotton Bowl – Most touchdowns rushing, game (3), tied by Dicky Maegle in 1954 and Jim Brown in 1957, surpassed by Temple in 2008
  • Cotton Bowl – Most touchdowns rushing, game (3), tied by Maegle in 1954, Brown in 1957, and Jim Swink in 1957, surpassed by Temple in 2008
  • Cotton Bowl – Most yards per attempt (min 10 attempts), game (13.2), surpassed by James Street in 1969
Edited by Harrison Stafford
  • Hook 'Em 3

Awful lot of “surpassed by” there. But shit all those Cotton Bowl records, we should rename the school after him. 

All I’m saying is Florida does it right by not retiring jerseys. Why not give someone else a chance to see if they can do better. There’s other ways to honor great players is all I’m saying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Awful lot of “surpassed by” there. But shit all those Cotton Bowl records, we should rename the school after him. 

All I’m saying is Florida does it right by not retiring jerseys. Why not give someone else a chance to see if they can do better. There’s other ways to honor great players is all I’m saying.

...he played in 1947! literally 75 years ago! of course his records have been surpassed!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yep it's cool for a guy to step up and say yeah I'm badass enough to wear #1 from Percy or #15 from Tebow. Takes nards. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I was gonna say that you need to quit acting like an asshole, but that would be wrong. You're not acting, you are an asshole.

It seems likely that you will never stop being an asshole, and as a result I am placing you on Double Secret Permanent Asshole Denial.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Making an ass of himself is his super power.

Layne accomplished a ton. 2 x All American, multi time nfl champ, all pro like 6 times and a hall of famer. This dipshit wants to laugh at his cotton bowl records and make dumb ass comments.  I think his pro number is retired too. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 11:37 AM, Helobious said:

So you are saying that Florida is to be held up as a paragon of collegiate innovation or proper enshrinement of athletic achievement?....hmmmmm. After considering your studied argument I say go fuck yourself. Who GAF what they do in Florida?

Edited by oldhorn2
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

So you are saying that Florida is to be held up as a paragon of collegiate innovation or proper enshrinement of athletic achievement?....hmmmmm. After considering your studied argument I say go fuck yourself. Who GAF what they do in Florida?

It’s just stupid. Bobby Layne played QB in the 40s. You don’t have to be particularly astute to realize the game has changed and there isn’t a QB from the 40s anywhere that put up record setting numbers compared to modern QBs

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

Everybody's All-American with Denis Quaid was based on his life.

I always thought that was based on Billy Cannon, but now that I looked it up, Frank Deford denies that and said he was an amalgam character.  Apparently the book was set at UNC. 
97A6B4AA-7346-4F8B-BE08-E7521CC95974.thumb.jpeg.ba32de944c7a6189acb38dc22440f554.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic