Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

54 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I just sold my game one tickets for just about enough to cover my total cost

Listing mine as well. Just saw that the regional pass is going for $265 on Stubhub. Sounds enticing to buy extra and sell on Stubhub, except that there's a 99% chance any extras it's going straight to aggy and there's no way in hell I'll sell them tickets to the UT-aggy game no matter the amount...well, maybe there is an amount but an extra $190 sure aint it.

42 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Listing mine as well. Just saw that the regional pass is going for $265 on Stubhub. Sounds enticing to buy extra and sell on Stubhub, except that there's a 99% chance any extras it's going straight to aggy and there's no way in hell I'll sell them tickets to the UT-aggy game no matter the amount...well, maybe there is an amount but an extra $190 sure aint it.

Yeah, I was going to go watch aggy, but the kids weren't to excited about it.  I looked on stubhub and saw what aggy was willing to pay for game one tickets and decided to let them pay for my whole tournament.  They sold in less than an hour.  I'll wait and watch them get eliminated on Saturday. It would have been pushing it to get to Austin by game time anyway since I have to wait until my son finishes his last final.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

3 minutes ago, TenaciousTgarden said:

Hi Jabronis - took me a bit to realize ole shaggy was done, but I'm back!  Wish I had tickets, but don't think we can manage the heat, anyway. If anyone wants to donate night game tickets, I'm your gal.  Hook 'em!

Amateur

9 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Just got my two! See y'all at the Disch. Out of curiosity...how many of yall are going to every game? I am not sure about sun baking to watch the ags at 4pm....may hit a bar for that game and then head to the disch in the last few innings of it.

Rather than a bar, might I suggest you take a hint from your username...?

I'll eat any cost way before I let some dumb ass aggy use a seat of mine. Even for a game I have no interest in attending. We don't need their bubble machines and they're lame ass ball 17 18 19 horse shit at DFF. Fuck the god damned aggys. Don't make anything available to those hillbilly fucks. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

I'll eat any cost way before I let some dumb ass aggy use a seat of mine. Even for a game I have no interest in attending. We don't need their bubble machines and they're lame ass ball 17 18 19 horse shit at DFF. Fuck the god damned aggys. Don't make anything available to those hillbilly fucks. 

I like this. You're definitely ready for this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

I hate to say this but our staff is just not as deep as in so many other years.  Coach Pierce obviously has forgotten more baseball than we'll ever know, but I think planning around a potential Monday game is wise at this juncture.  Gonna be a balmy one too which should obviously affect IU pitching, but you never know.

Anybody remember 2011 when we had to come back out of the loser's bracket against Kent State with Jungmann, et. al?  That Monday afternoon game was at 1 or 2pm.  And everybody knows that was the shittastic summer from hell what wouldn't go away.  That was the hottest I've ever been at DFF and I've been a ticket holder for 20 years.  It had to be flirting with 110-115 with the heat index and field turf blasting back at us on that Monday.  We were obviously the better team but after beating Kent State Sunday night to force the final game...I knew we we'd be fine and on our way to Supers because the Kent State staff was already thin and they were just absolutely fucking miserable on Monday afternoon.  Took 30 seconds between pitches to catch their breath and get the salty sting out of their eyes (that's what she said).  Anyway, could actually be a factor for Indiana but they are a far, far better team than that Kent State squad.  Weather will be a factor.  As will the fact that the Aggies attend Texas A&M University.  What Aggie wants to buy my tickets 'cause I need beer money for this sauna...

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I hate to say this but our staff is just not as deep as in so many other years.  Coach Pierce obviously has forgotten more baseball than we'll ever know, but I think planning around a potential Monday game is wise at this juncture.  Gonna be a balmy one too which should obviously affect IU pitching, but you never know.

Anybody remember 2011 when we had to come back out of the loser's bracket against Kent State with Jungmann, et. al?  That Monday afternoon game was at 1 or 2pm.  And everybody knows that was the shittastic summer from hell what wouldn't go away.  That was the hottest I've ever been at DFF and I've been a ticket holder for 20 years.  It had to be flirting with 110-115 with the heat index and field turf blasting back at us on that Monday.  We were obviously the better team but after beating Kent State Sunday night to force the final game...I knew we we'd be fine and on our way to Supers because the Kent State staff was already thin and they were just absolutely fucking miserable on Monday afternoon.  Took 30 seconds between pitches to catch their breath and get the salty sting out of their eyes (that's what she said).  Anyway, could actually be a factor for Indiana but they are a far, far better team than that Kent State squad.  Weather will be a factor.  As will the fact that the Aggies attend Texas A&M University.  What Aggie wants to buy my tickets 'cause I need beer money for this sauna...

Ah say it.  This is the worst staff, top to bottom, we have had in years.  A tournament rotation has the potential to be scary as hell.  On the other hand, most of our pitchers are capable of throwing pretty decent games if they just come out and throw strikes.  Should be a very interesting regional. 

• Like 1

On dates of competition or practice, no alcoholic beverages shall be delivered, sold or dispensed for public consumption anywhere in the competition venue, nor shall any such beverages be brought to the site during the championship (i.e., during the period from the time access is available to spectators until all patrons have left the stadium). Alcoholic beverages may be dispensed inside private, enclosed hospitality suites provided that the beverages are only brought outside of the suites (in suite seats) in unbranded cups. Also, alcoholic beverages may be sold and dispensed in private, enclosed club lounges inside baseball stadiums. For club lounges, alcohol may not be brought outside the club into stadium seats. In these suites and clubs, alcoholic beverages may not be delivered to the suites/clubs or restocked at any time practices, press conferences or the games are being conducted or otherwise in use by the NCAA. Additionally, it shall not be permissible for alcoholic beverages to be distributed or consumed outside the stadium, unless specifically authorized by the NCAA.

That is from the NCAA 2018 Division I Baseball Championship Host Operations 2017-18 Manual

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIMBA_HostOpsManualPrelRdsRevised_20180517.pdf

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/fieldprobs2018.html

ISR ratings are odd this year.  Texas A&M has a slightly higher chance of winning the super regional than Texas does assuming they advance.   UCLA also shows the same thing.

If you go back to 2014 you'll see a slightly larger number for San Diego State.  2013 has a tiny one with Arkansas and their chance to win it all.  So I don't think it's rounding or another type of error.  I quit going back after 2013.

Obviously harder to predict the subsequent rounds...

I just found it interesting.

Edited by petscii

39 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Will they be serving beer this weekend? I am so used to it now at the Disch, but aren't there different rules for official NCAA Tournaments?. I can't remember if they did at the 2014 Super Regional. 

I am glad you asked this question and was assuming they were...but per the rules posted for NCAA it looks like a no.

Explains the hospitality tent email I got from the Foundation. Will be along third base line.

Ill make sure my consumption level is peaking at 8pm.

32 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

On dates of competition or practice, no alcoholic beverages shall be delivered, sold or dispensed for public consumption anywhere in the competition venue, nor shall any such beverages be brought to the site during the championship (i.e., during the period from the time access is available to spectators until all patrons have left the stadium). Alcoholic beverages may be dispensed inside private, enclosed hospitality suites provided that the beverages are only brought outside of the suites (in suite seats) in unbranded cups. Also, alcoholic beverages may be sold and dispensed in private, enclosed club lounges inside baseball stadiums. For club lounges, alcohol may not be brought outside the club into stadium seats. In these suites and clubs, alcoholic beverages may not be delivered to the suites/clubs or restocked at any time practices, press conferences or the games are being conducted or otherwise in use by the NCAA. Additionally, it shall not be permissible for alcoholic beverages to be distributed or consumed outside the stadium, unless specifically authorized by the NCAA.

That is from the NCAA 2018 Division I Baseball Championship Host Operations 2017-18 Manual

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIMBA_HostOpsManualPrelRdsRevised_20180517.pdf

Negged.

• Haha 1

It'll air on LHN but I think they have a different crew out there for the games this weekend. I saw some ESPN dude who's done baseball before tweeting about being in Austin.  Maybe they'll ship Lowell out to Lubbock.  On a one way ticket.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I am glad you asked this question and was assuming they were...but per the rules posted for NCAA it looks like a no.

Explains the hospitality tent email I got from the Foundation. Will be along third base line.

Ill make sure my consumption level is peaking at 8pm.

Do you have to be a big cigar to get in there or is it going to be like the Roost at Reckling Park where any ol dipshit will be allowed in?

Guest Lobo

Supers are all purposely scheduled on the whole family of ESPN channels (sans LHN) over 4 days to make sure they don't have to use second/third-tier partners.  Only thing that would change that now would be a rain delay or extra innings like when they bump football games to Classic or ESPNnews. 

Texas/Ole Miss would be a big draw, TV-wise (certainly among the 2 or 3 most attractive of the potential draws).  I would see that series being primetime and starting on Saturday-Monday.

2 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

Were the 2014 supers on LHN? I wonder if any home post season baseball game featuring Texas is on the network. 

Nope. ESPN 2 game 1, and then ESPN for the clincher. IIRC, Texas was the first of the 8 teams to punch their ticket that year bc both game 1 and 2 were day games rather early. Cool feeling when you get to sit back and watch the other 7 supers claw each others eyes out while you know your team will be in paradise for sure the next weekend

Listen to this stat:

Texas Southern has been to 4 regionals (04, 08, 15, 17). They won their very first game against No. 6 National seed, and defending national champion, Rice after Rice chose to pitch their Tuesday guy in the opening game and failed to score more than 3 runs (against a TSU team who’s rpi was 230+). Rice’s hitting coach at the time: David Pierce.

Since winning that first game, TSU has lost every regional game (0-8) by an aggregate combined score of 86-24

It was 58-11 until TSU managed to score 13 runs in 2 games last year (and give up 28).

Good to know Pierce wasn’t willing to tempt fate and make that mistake again. Hopefully tomorrow night is over by the 4th inning so we can throw some guys from the bullpen who would otherwise never pitch in the postseason

Edited by X-Wing @Aliciousness

1 hour ago, Horny Bull said:

Saturday: 1:30 and 6

Sunday: 2 and 8

Monday: 6

Thanks for some reason I thought they had 3 games on Sat and 2(if necessary)on Sunday.  maybe that was the old days.  I guess this makes it easier for loser bracket teams to some extent.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/5/28/ncaa-baseball-first-and-second-round-headquarters.aspx

The above link is from TexasSports if you have not seen and lists the teams' info, game times,   and notes from today's press conference.  

- Shugart starting because of his ability to recover quickly and control base runners (TxSouthern has 117/149 sb)   Kingham has been ill this week,  should be good for Sat.

- Childress gives a good breakdown on Indiana.   Good pitching depth,  great era.

-   Texas Southern press conf is worth a read.   Sounds like they have a great coach.   They do not have a home field.   Play most of their home games at MacGregor Park,  Houston.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hmmm.  I suppose it isn't Kingham, so that's good.  But I think it was texassports that suggested we go lower in the pecking order for this game.  I think I tend to agree.

I agree too. Looking at their schedule and W/L, not sure there is a need to throw a weekend guy. This would be a great game for Bocci or similar. Would rather have our normal weekend guys play in a game 4 scenario.