Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

28 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I was wrong:

"An outfield fly ball is judged to be fair or foul by the relationship of the ball to the foul line at the moment it first touches the ground, or where it first touches a fielder. If the ball touches a fielder in-flight, the judgment is made at where the ball was when it was touched, NOT from where it may land after a miss, or drop of the ball, by a fielder. The position of the fielder is irrelevant. You only focus on the ball and the foul line. "

We knew

2 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

jimmy, you told me in a fucking PM to drive drunk & kill someone. Do you really fucking want me to open that fucking can? 

I promise I will. 

Wut?  Did I tell you to kill someone in particular or was my request more generic in nature?

agreed he didn't mean to let it go but if he just takes a couple of seconds to make sure he has it and comes out of the stands a bit slower.  guy caught and jsut wanted to celebrate a bit too quickly.

And this is why I think it SHOULD be ruled a catch. Whether it was a catch under the exact letter of the rule, i don’t know. But I don’t think that situation is the intent of the rule.

For the sake of argument, let’s say he didn’t intentionally toss the ball up. He caught it, and he then came off the rail celebrating. His glove clipped the rail and knocked the ball up, but at that point he’d already thought the game had ended in spectacular fashion due to his amazing play. He wasn’t bobbling the ball. He wasn’t still in the act of securing it. But the rule, as applied, essentially means it’s NOT a catch because he celebrated too early. It’s all semantics at this point, and I can see why it would be a nearly impossible, slippery-slope to draw a distinction...but c’mon!

15 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

And this is why I think it SHOULD be ruled a catch. Whether it was a catch under the exact letter of the rule, i don’t know. But I don’t think that situation is the intent of the rule.

For the sake of argument, let’s say he didn’t intentionally toss the ball up. He caught it, and he then came off the rail celebrating. His glove clipped the rail and knocked the ball up, but at that point he’d already thought the game had ended in spectacular fashion due to his amazing play. He wasn’t bobbling the ball. He wasn’t still in the act of securing it. But the rule, as applied, essentially means it’s NOT a catch because he celebrated too early. It’s all semantics at this point, and I can see why it would be a nearly impossible, slippery-slope to draw a distinction...but c’mon!

This is everything right here. He caught the ball; same as Dez and Calvin before him. But it wasn’t a catch according to the rule; same as Dez and Calvin before him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Know how I know people have to explain things to you a lot?

Oooh. Good one. Very witty.  Yes, counselor. I get that your feelings of superiority make you believe that your SEC affiliation situates you above the fray of lesser conferences. 

So go ahead and explain, spell it out for me, because I’m so dense, how your butt-buddies at a and m got bounced so quickly in a “sniff”, Big12 regional. 

At least their meltdown against Indiana wasn’t “boring”, was it?

39 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Know how I know people have to explain things to you a lot?

I seem to recall being pretty satisfied with the season's result the last time we play a Super in Oxford

I remember that too. One of my best friends actually played on that Texas team. I closed my blinds and dove into a handle of Wild Turkey that weekend. One of the coolest things that Augie said in Omaha was that the best team he’d faced all year was sitting at home in Oxford. And after Texas won, the players said the same thing. That was a cool compliment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

There is no such thing as a deflection rule.  Stahp. 

So get this shit ...

today in my kid's Centex Series round robin play, we had runners on 1st & second, 1 out. Our kid hit a hard grounder toward third, where the 3rd baseman was playing practically on top of the bag. 3rd baseman steps 2 or 3 steps toward home & into foul territory, and catches the ball about 2 feet foul and about 3 or 4 feet toward home from the bag. It's not even close to fair territory. Kid plays it out, steps on 3rd, throws to 1st. Umps call outs at 3rd and 1st, killing our inning. I'm coaching 1st, and our HC is coaching 3rd. He immediately tells the home plate ump that's a foul ball & is dead as soon as 3B touches it. Ump says the ball first bounced fair and never hit the ground in foul territory before 3B caught it in the air in foul territory, so it's fair. This is, of course, complete nonsense, and our HC is very good with the rules and quoted it to the ump almost exactly the same way I've been finding it online. Nope. No go.

Shit like this happens damn near every game, and our HC can show the guys the rule half the time, but it has zero effect. These worthless fucks are getting paid to Ump, but can't be bothered to actually learn a got-damn rule or two ... and then they actually, with a straight face, tell us we're wrong when we can actually show them the fucking rule. I mean I get it. Umpiring is hard AF, and there are lots of little nitpicky rules, but this isn't really one of em. Learn the fucking rule book or go do something else.

Yesterday we noticed the opposing pitcher, after each pitch, was going about half way to home plate to take the throw from the catcher, then cluelessly lollygagging his way back to the mound. So we got a kid on third and after a couple pitches like this we sent him as soon as the catcher made the throw back after a pitch. He stole home and scored easily. Umps called our kid out, saying we had illegally run a "squeeze play".  Of course, laying down a bunt is kinda hard when the pitcher is walking back to the mound, but WTF, let's call it a squeeze play. Why the fuck not, right?

/csb. Not sorry for the semi-ot rantage.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

This is everything right here. He caught the ball; same as Dez and Calvin before him. But it wasn’t a catch according to the rule; same as Dez and Calvin before him.

I dunno. I think it's a tough one for Blue even if he made the catch. They were likely pretty obscured from actually being able to see him make the catch, and he never held it up or anything. When he ball comes flying out like that, I can understand how it's pretty tough for them to call that a game-ending, regional-ending out. Pierce seemed to agree. I had a feeling it wasn't over as soon as I saw the ball fly out. Just glad it worked out for us.

Edited by wood

For those who didn't get to see it - the controversial no-catch:

Thanks for posting. First time I’ve seen it. His celebration cost him the catch. Like the Cav dribbling out the clock the other night when they were tied.

All in all: IDMAS.

Wood, the umpire made the right call in your first scenario. If the ball hits in fair territory and a player touches it in foul territory before the ball touches the ground in foul territory and before it passes foul past third base then it is considered fair.  The ball becomes a foul once it touches the ground in foul territory.  

2 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Wood, the umpire made the right call in your first scenario. If the ball hits in fair territory and a player touches it in foul territory before the ball touches the ground in foul territory and before it passes foul past third base then it is considered fair.  The ball becomes a foul once it touches the ground in foul territory.  

This. If it's before the bag and bounced in fair ground, then it's still fair.

I can’t even tell if people are trolling any more.

No. Before 1st/3rd bases, the ball is fair if it touches someone while the ball is in fair territory.  Foul if it touches someone while the ball is in foul territory.  This thread is loony tunes.  This isn’t NFL. This isn’t NBA.  The moment something touches the ball you decide whether it is fair or foul based on where the ball is.  It doesn’t matter if it “bounced fair first and hasn’t bounced in foul territory.”

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I can’t even tell if people are trolling any more.

No. Before 1st/3rd bases, the ball is fair if it touches someone in fair territory.  Foul if it touches someone in foul territory.  This thread is loony tunes.  This isn’t NFL. This isn’t NBA.  The moment something touches the ball you decide whether it is fair or foul based on where the ball is.  

Lol you are correct. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wood said:

So get this shit ...

today in my kid's Centex Series round robin play, we had runners on 1st & second, 1 out. Our kid hit a hard grounder toward third, where the 3rd baseman was playing practically on top of the bag. 3rd baseman steps 2 or 3 steps toward home & into foul territory, and catches the ball about 2 feet foul and about 3 or 4 feet toward home from the bag. It's not even close to fair territory. Kid plays it out, steps on 3rd, throws to 1st. Umps call outs at 3rd and 1st, killing our inning. I'm coaching 1st, and our HC is coaching 3rd. He immediately tells the home plate ump that's a foul ball & is dead as soon as 3B touches it. Ump says the ball first bounced fair and never hit the ground in foul territory before 3B caught it in the air in foul territory, so it's fair. This is, of course, complete nonsense, and our HC is very good with the rules and quoted it to the ump almost exactly the same way I've been finding it online. Nope. No go.

Shit like this happens damn near every game, and our HC can show the guys the rule half the time, but it has zero effect. These worthless fucks are getting paid to Ump, but can't be bothered to actually learn a got-damn rule or two ... and then they actually, with a straight face, tell us we're wrong when we can actually show them the fucking rule. I mean I get it. Umpiring is hard AF, and there are lots of little nitpicky rules, but this isn't really one of em. Learn the fucking rule book or go do something else.

Yesterday we noticed the opposing pitcher, after each pitch, was going about half way to home plate to take the throw from the catcher, then cluelessly lollygagging his way back to the mound. So we got a kid on third and after a couple pitches like this we sent him as soon as the catcher made the throw back after a pitch. He stole home and scored easily. Umps called our kid out, saying we had illegally run a "squeeze play".  Of course, laying down a bunt is kinda hard when the pitcher is walking back to the mound, but WTF, let's call it a squeeze play. Why the fuck not, right?

/csb. Not sorry for the semi-ot rantage.

Wait a second. Youth league umpires suck? You may have broken the story of the year there Bernstein.

7 hours ago, Fozzz said:

How about Shugart throwing 96 on one day’s rest?  He was put into an impossible situation and dominated. 

96 mph?  Henley threw about 100 pitches, Shugart threw maybe 10.  Not to denigrate his performance.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Too bad he didn't hold onto that ball. It was one hell of a great catch. Would have been a great way to end that Regional. The strikeout was pretty good, however.

I was worried that they wouldn't be able to refocus after the premature celebration, but Shugart held it together. 

54 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

This. If it's before the bag and bounced in fair ground, then it's still fair.

What the fuck are you talking about? It is not fair if the fielder is standing foul. 

Amazing the lack of knowledge of simple baseball rules. 

Edited by hornbri

4 minutes ago, hornbri said:

What the fuck are you talking about? It is not fair if the fielder is standing foul. 

Amazing the lack of knowledge of simple baseball rules. 

My bad motherfucker, I misread. I thought the fielder was in fair territory and reached over the line

2 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

My bad motherfucker, I misread. I thought the fielder was in fair territory and reached over the line

Ok - but that is still wrong. If the ball is in foul territory and is touched it does not matter where the player is. That is still a foul ball. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Ok - but that is still wrong. If the ball is in foul territory and is touched it does not matter where the player is. That is still a foul ball. 

Yep. The location of the fielder is irrelevant. People have been watching too much football. 

• Like 1