Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

Ok, so I know I am about 30 years late on this question, but I haven't watched a Texas game at D-F in forever until last night.  But what the fuck is up with your field?

Turf?  And some of it painted brown round the bases?  Dirt only on the mound?  WTF?

How can a school with boatloads of money, boatloads of CWS titles and a huge fan following be OK with that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

The team is going to a Super when this season looked lost, but people are too busy arguing about finite baseball rules to enjoy it.

It's like the politics board but the stakes are much higher

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Ok, so I know I am about 30 years late on this question, but I haven't watched a Texas game at D-F in forever until last night.  But what the fuck is up with your field?

Turf?  And some of it painted brown round the bases?  Dirt only on the mound?  WTF?

How can a school with boatloads of money, boatloads of CWS titles and a huge fan following be OK with that?

Title IX comes for us all. 

2 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Wood, the umpire made the right call in your first scenario. If the ball hits in fair territory and a player touches it in foul territory before the ball touches the ground in foul territory and before it passes foul past third base then it is considered fair.  The ball becomes a foul once it touches the ground in foul territory.  

2 hours ago, immortal13 said:

This. If it's before the bag and bounced in fair ground, then it's still fair.

What the fuuuuuck???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

96 mph?  Henley threw about 100 pitches, Shugart threw maybe 10.  Not to denigrate his performance.

Stadium gun had him at 93-96, which is a couple mph harder than I have seen from him in the past (91-93 touching the mid-90s).  More importantly, he did that with command after throwing 69 pitches on Friday.  You will rarely see a pitcher used like that, and for good reason.  

Can anyone point me to the thread where we celebrate sweeping the Regional? JFC people. I just watched 3 great games of baseball this weekend by a team that started out 9-9 and has pulled it together to have a great season and this thread is page after page of bitching about nothing.

• Like 7

Just now, UT Lawnghorn said:

Can anyone point me to the thread where we celebrate sweeping the Regional? JFC people. I just watched 3 great games of baseball this weekend by a team that started out 9-9 and has pulled it together to have a great season and this thread is page after page of bitching about nothing.

Amen, brutha.

Horns just swept the regional.  BOOM.

I'd love to have had a little more offense last night for some breathing room,  but that was a gritty win for a team that most likely had a hangover after an emotional win over A&M the night before.  Probably not a bad thing that they had to work extra for the win against IU.

great season, and great post season so far.  Crushed aggy and gutted out a victory to win the regional.  Last year, we shit our pants in the regional with timid bats.  This year,  we sealed the deal and moved on.  I'm impressed with how our pitching has held up down the stretch (crosses fingers), at least so far.  I don't have high hopes for the super regional, but who knows - it's baseball.  Omaha this year would be awesome.  

Defense was on point last night as well outside of the throwing error.  We yielded a fair amount of sharp contact throughout the night but I don't think we allowed a ball to reach the fence besides that run saving ground rule double.

19 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Surl gonna surl.

The pitching staff was phenomenal this weekend.  27 IP and 2 ER.  That's a salty 0.67 ERA for you non-math wizards.  Also, here is the stat that blows my mind:  31 strikeouts and 2 walks.  WOW!

No matter what happens in the Supers, this team has done a fantastic job of taking the program up a notch on the path back to where we should be.  It's been fun to watch.

Edited by TrashMaster G

31 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Amen, brutha.

Horns just swept the regional.  BOOM.

I'd love to have had a little more offense last night for some breathing room,  but that was a gritty win for a team that most likely had a hangover after an emotional win over A&M the night before.  Probably not a bad thing that they had to work extra for the win against IU.

This.

I think Pierce pointed this out in the ballgame, but we played from ahead in the TSU and aggy game. We had to come from behind to win the last one. Not only that, we had to really play to the 27th out. The fact that we were facing 2nd and 3rd no outs, loaded bases with only one out, and only being up one... then pulling it out can do loads for a baseball teams' confidence.

ON TO THE SUPERS!

39 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'd love to have had a little more offense last night for some breathing room...

Was all about the top of the order not getting on base for Kody. He had nobody on base the first three times he was up, then finally Hamilton got on first and Kody hit him in with that double. Then in the ninth, Duke gets the last out leaving  Kody in the on deck circle. I would like to say Hamilton and Duke should have been better at getting on base, but Indiana pitcher didn't really let them.

Shugart was incredible in the 9th. Coming in with bases loaded 1 out is tough and he was throwing heat from the second he got on the mound. Both those IU hitters were completely over matched and struggling to even make contact. Can't say enough about his performance in that kind of a situation. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Was all about the top of the order not getting on base for Kody. He had nobody on base the first three times he was up, then finally Hamilton got on first and Kody hit him in with that double. Then in the ninth, Duke gets the last out leaving  Kody in the on deck circle. I would like to say Hamilton and Duke should have been better at getting on base, but Indiana pitcher didn't really let them.

Hamilton has to protect the plate at the top of the order. You're allowed to use the stick in your hands. 

3 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Hamilton and Ellis have shown extra-base ability. But they also have exceptional speed and are handy with the bat. I'd love to see both try to do more bunting for hits. 

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

I am not ok with it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Shugart was incredible in the 9th. Coming in with bases loaded 1 out is tough and he was throwing heat from the second he got on the mound. Both those IU hitters were completely over matched and struggling to even make contact. Can't say enough about his performance in that kind of a situation. 

Yep.  96 on at least one pitch.  Those guys had no chance.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I did like how Ryan came back with that huge play in the eighth after the brain fart on the throw to second earlier.  he's struggling at the plate but that play was nails.

Concur, he had three really solid defensive plays after his error.  That bare-handed grab and throw out was just as important as any other play last night.

• Like 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Yep.  96 on at least one pitch.  Those guys had no chance.

Yeah. I saw him hit 96 2 or three times on the scoreboard, and he was locating.  Just absolutely fucking nails.

This season has been a ton of fun. This team's not executing as well as a lot of the Augie teams but they've been improving in that area (save for the Big 12 tourney), and that combined with their above average hitting has been a pleasure to watch.  If the pitching keeps up (big if, I know), we could definitely make a run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

And that's fair.

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Wrong, a guy can make a catch, run 20’, kill himself on the wall, not a catch. Must willingly try to remove the ball from his glove. 

Don’t make make a shit now though. 

This but you left out the part that says dropped the ball but you are correct.

If you make a running catch and proceed to run 20, 30 or even 50 feet into the wall and drop it it is not a catch...period.

The ump was correct in calling it a non catch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

if you people haven't read this entire thread yet...it is an absolute treasure.

https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/2954707

It kills me knowing we have the better team but are staying home for the supers while the whorns advance. That team would have finished dead last in the SEC but somehow gets rewarded for winning a watered down conference championship and getting to host

Lulz

11 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I don’t think he discarded the baseball in celebration. Based on the replays I saw I felt when he was pulling the ball back towards him it hit the railing while in his glove and knocked it free as he raised his hand to celebrate.

This is what happened and by rule that means it is not a catch...period.

It's really remarkable, worthy of a dissertation in Psychology if some enterprising grad student is interested.  By any metric I looked for (which took me about 30 seconds, I don't really care), pre-regional A&M was at best a marginally better team.

RPI:  15 vs 22

ISR:  17 vs 18

Head to head:  6-5 at home

I know this is news to exactly nobody here, but come on.

44 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Concur, he had three really solid defensive plays after his error.  That bare-handed grab and throw out was just as important as any other play last night.

That  a very very difficult play he made...if he doesn't throw the guy out, it's a tie game at best. The runner from 2nd was already rounding 3rd when he fielded it. If the guy was safe at first there's a chance they get 2 runs on that play, and if the throw is even a little bit off almost certainly 2 score 

sss-indiana-texas22-1.jpg  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Has anybody seen an All-Regional Team announced?

Austin Regional All-Tournament Team

Most Valuable Player: Kody Clemens, Texas

Catcher: D.J. Petrinsky, Texas (unanimous)
1st Base: Chris Andritsos, Texas A&M
2nd Base: Kody Clemens, Texas (unanimous)
3rd Base: Luke Miller, Indiana (unanimous)
Shortstop: David Hamilton, Texas (unanimous)
Outfield: Duke Ellis, Texas
Outfield: Zach DeLoach, Texas A&M
Outfield: Logan Foster, Texas A&M
Utility: Matt Lloyd, Indiana
Pitcher: Nolan Kingham, Texas
Pitcher: Pauly Milto, Indiana

https://texassports.com/news/2018/6/4/baseball-advances-to-super-regional-with-3-2-win-over-indiana.aspx

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

A&M got the same number of guys on the all-regional team as Indiana did, so they obviously tied for second in the regional---not third place as was officially announced. 

It was sad seeing how many Aggie fans Saturday/Sunday asked, "so does Indiana's rival call then I.U. instead of U.of I. like we do with the Longhorns?"  Okay, actually only my wife's in-laws asked me that, but still...when you have to explain that no..."IU is Indiana University"...that's the official name of the school on their state charter, "The Indiana University"  There is no University of Indiana and their main rival is Purdue, not Indiana A&M or Indiana State.  There is also no University of West Virginia, no Oklahoma University, and no University of New Jersey.  But a small people shall remain small.  When you've only known 6 people to ever set foot on a college campus (and most of them were there for facilities management), you think the world revolves around your cute little nicknames for actual universities.  

4 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Wood, the umpire made the right call in your first scenario. If the ball hits in fair territory and a player touches it in foul territory before the ball touches the ground in foul territory and before it passes foul past third base then it is considered fair.  The ball becomes a foul once it touches the ground in foul territory.  

This. If it's before the bag and bounced in fair ground, then it's still fair.

Eh, no. If a player touches the ball on or over foul territory & it hasn't passed the base in fair territory, it's foul. 

I can’t even tell if people are trolling any more.

No. Before 1st/3rd bases, the ball is fair if it touches someone while the ball is in fair territory.  Foul if it touches someone while the ball is in foul territory.  This thread is loony tunes

LOL. Exactly. I think some of these guys might be umps from my kid's games this weekend.

Edited by wood

29 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

That  a very very difficult play he made...if he doesn't throw the guy out, it's a tie game at best. The runner from 2nd was already rounding 3rd when he fielded it. If the guy was safe at first there's a chance they get 2 runs on that play, and if the throw is even a little bit off almost certainly 2 score 

sss-indiana-texas22-1.jpg  

Yep, huge and fantastic play. And I was surprised he got the guy by as much as he did.

• Like 1