Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Ok, so I know I am about 30 years late on this question, but I haven't watched a Texas game at D-F in forever until last night.  But what the fuck is up with your field?

Turf?  And some of it painted brown round the bases?  Dirt only on the mound?  WTF?

How can a school with boatloads of money, boatloads of CWS titles and a huge fan following be OK with that?

We aren't.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

The pitching staff was phenomenal this weekend.  27 IP and 2 ER.  That's a salty 0.67 ERA for you non-math wizards.  Also, here is the stat that blows my mind:  31 strikeouts and 2 walks.  WOW!

No matter what happens in the Supers, this team has done a fantastic job of taking the program up a notch on the path back to where we should be.  It's been fun to watch.

Yeah I was esp impressed with Henley. Looked better than he looked all year imho. Clutch.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not really seeing the problem in discussing the rules of baseball as applied to plays in the Austin Regional . . . in a thread about the Austin Regional.

But hey, as others have said, surly gonna surly.  Yay, bitchassedness.

It belongs more in the "Shit about baseball my dad taught me when I was 6" thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Even aggy's coach knows what's up:

So to the fans in that thread and apparently the whiny bitch made pussy aggy players, Clemens is an "asshat" for staring down douchebag trash talkers after he took them yard?  Mkay.  

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

That  a very very difficult play he made...if he doesn't throw the guy out, it's a tie game at best. The runner from 2nd was already rounding 3rd when he fielded it. If the guy was safe at first there's a chance they get 2 runs on that play, and if the throw is even a little bit off almost certainly 2 score 

sss-indiana-texas22-1.jpg  

Bonehead play early that eventually cost us 2 runs, but dude made up for it with this throw and another late inning play when he started a DP that we needed. His hitting was great (actually pretty bad with I think around 5-6 Ks fot the last 2 games) but his defense is pretty damn good at third.

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Ok, so I know I am about 30 years late on this question, but I haven't watched a Texas game at D-F in forever until last night.  But what the fuck is up with your field?

Turf?  And some of it painted brown round the bases?  Dirt only on the mound?  WTF?

How can a school with boatloads of money, boatloads of CWS titles and a huge fan following be OK with that?

4 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Title IX comes for us all. 

I'm not sure title IX has anything to do with it.  McCombs Field has a better surface than the Disch.  The AD simply didn't want to maintain grass at the Disch.  Still, the Disch is better than it used to be.  It was old school astroturf when I was there.  Practically green concrete.

Edited by FondrenRoad

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I'm not sure title IX has anything to do with it.  McCombs Field has a better surface than the Disch.  The AD simply didn't want to maintain grass at the Disch.

Has CDC made a stand on this or is it a leftover from Mike Perrin?

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm just hoping TN Tech's hitters don't burn themselves out in Game 1 today. 

So stoked for Tennessee Tech to even have gone this far. I lived in Cookeville in elementary school & my dad took some classes there. /csb

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Also in regards to Kody, his family bleeds orange more than most.  It's in his nature to hate aggy already.  If he wasn't talking shit, I'd be concerned.  Fuck aggy.

It's not talking shit if you back it up. I can't imagine all the crap he and his brother had to endure growing up and more importantly had to put up with playing Aggy and their regarded fans at Listeria Field (funny thing is at least 3-5 A&M players are good friends of his, as they hung out at his house growing up). I was at the game at TxSt 2 years ago when all the frat boys were yelling at both of them (Kody and Kasey) about their dad and steroids (Roger was not far away and was actually in the Tx St hospitality suite/caboose right next to the hecklers). I am into the heckling just as much as the next guy but even I thought that was over the top. They were eventually removed due to the number of F bombs dropped. Even some of the TxSt people were embarrassed.

2 hours ago, sidis said:

if you people haven't read this entire thread yet...it is an absolute treasure.

https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/2954707

My favorite:

Totally agree! It kills me knowing we have the better team but are staying home for the supers while the whorns advance. That team would have finished dead last in the SEC but somehow gets rewarded for winning a watered down conference championship and getting to host

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Has CDC made a stand on this or is it a leftover from Mike Perrin?

Not sure.  DF is only mentioned in passing here.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/2/23/17045724/grass-turf-darrell-k-royal-stadium-chris-del-conte-texas-longhorns

Some of the current turf is only a year old though, so additional renos and grass wouldn't even really be a consideration for several years.  Also, since DF was initially built with turf in mind, there may be additional costs in preparing the underlying surface for grass that we aren't thinking about.

36 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

My favorite:

I can't wrap my mind around this one:

I would agree that if we played our A game, and Texas played theirs, we'd come out on top, but the problem is we rarely played our A game. If you graded this team game by game, I don't think we'd average better than a C. 

If you average a C+ grade "game by game"  isn't it possible that IS your A game???/

42 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Not sure.  DF is only mentioned in passing here.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/2/23/17045724/grass-turf-darrell-k-royal-stadium-chris-del-conte-texas-longhorns

Some of the current turf is only a year old though, so additional renos and grass wouldn't even really be a consideration for several years.  Also, since DF was initially built with turf in mind, there may be additional costs in preparing the underlying surface for grass that we aren't thinking about.

"Missouri and Vandy have turf field. 

Oregon St and Texas have turf fields 

It’s a penny pinching maneuver for teams like Texas and they deserve to be made fun of. I get Oregon St not having grass because of their location up north. Vandy also kinda of gets a pass because of their size as a school. Missouri we should just make fun of for everything anyway."

secrant comments.  We are penny-pinchers?

7 minutes ago, horngrad03 said:

If you average a C+ grade "game by game"  isn't it possible that IS your A game???/

Yeah, being able to play well on occasion isn't really special. What's special is being able to make the routine plays 99% of the time and then stepping it up when shit gets real.

2 hours ago, wood said:

We aren't.

It's been turf from the get-go, so 42 years now.  For many years, as with football fields, it was considered "cool" and state of the art, and also a competitive advantage.  The infield was fast as hell in the earlier days and there were some interesting seams between the infield and outfield.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's been turf from the get-go, so 42 years now.  For many years, as with football fields, it was considered "cool" and state of the art, and also a competitive advantage.  The infield was fast as hell in the earlier days and there were some interesting seams between the infield and outfield.

Oh, I know, but Texas baseball fans have also wanted grass at DF for as long as I can remember ... even back in the late 70s when I first started attending games there.

Edited by wood

10 minutes ago, horngrad03 said:

Typical aggy logic to look at a best-case scenario and consider it the baseline for everyday performance. That's the kind of thinking that has them believing they've simply let every national football title since 1939 just slip through their fingers.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For many years, UT made the "Grass can't handle the workload in this climate especially with the UIL state games here" excuse.

And then the Round Rock Express came into existence, and they made a grass field, which took on much more use in a minor league season, and took on half of the UIL games, and somehow everything was fine with their field. 

So the reason we still have that turf stuff (which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the faded Astroturf that we had for so many years) is because the people in charge want us to have fake grass.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, horngrad03 said:

Do you even aggy, bro?  They beat Cornell 22-0, so their entire lineup should always play like Ken Griffey, Jr.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

For many years, UT made the "Grass can't handle the workload in this climate especially with the UIL state games here" excuse.

And then the Round Rock Express came into existence, and they made a grass field, which took on much more use in a minor league season, and took on half of the UIL games, and somehow everything was fine with their field. 

So the reason we still have that turf stuff (which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the faded Astroturf that we had for so many years) is because the people in charge want us to have fake grass.

They don't want to spend the coin it takes to maintain real grass.

Pro stadiums have full-time staffs that do nothing but baby that grass nearly 24/7.  Even a rich athletic department like UT can't really dedicate that many resources to a single facility. Plus I'm sure the environmentalists have a lot of more sway with UT than they have with the RR Express.  Hard for a state public entity like UT to justify the water usage.

EDIT:  I'm not defending it.  I think baseball should be on grass at every level.  

Edited by Uncle Nate

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

They don't want to spend the coin it takes to maintain real grass.

Pro stadiums have full-time staffs that do nothing but baby that grass nearly 24/7.  Even a rich athletic department like UT can't really dedicate that many resources to a single facility. Plus I'm sure the environmentalists have a lot of more sway with UT than they have with the RR Express.  Hard for a state public entity like UT to justify the water usage.

EDIT:  I'm not defending it.  I think baseball should be on grass at every level.  

You're preaching to the choir, Nate.

You know who else has a field-turf baseball field?  Wimberley High School.  Softball, too.  It's hilarious to see 6A teams use our fields for playoff games when it rains.

Our football field is also field-turf, and I'm pretty sure it was the first 3A FT field in the state. 

Both got approved because of the water usage.

But for years and years and years and years, the excuse UT always gave was that hosting the UIL state tournament meant that they couldn't possibly have a grass field.

I will say that the current DF field-turf field >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> old Astroturf field.

30 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

"Missouri and Vandy have turf field. 

Oregon St and Texas have turf fields 

It’s a penny pinching maneuver for teams like Texas and they deserve to be made fun of. I get Oregon St not having grass because of their location up north. Vandy also kinda of gets a pass because of their size as a school. Missouri we should just make fun of for everything anyway."

secrant comments.  We are penny-pinchers?

I think it has more to do with the Edwards Aquifer and visions of finite water supply. Saving the world one baseball diamond at a time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Este.

15 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The color guy on this game sounds exactly like Jerry The King Lawler

Yeah these guys are some real hillbillies. Apparently Tech is "Unrelentless". Earlier I heard "verse" used in place of versus. Gotta love that SECSECSEC edgamacation.

2 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

I think it has more to do with the Edwards Aquifer and visions of finite water supply. Saving the world one baseball diamond at a time.

The average rainfall in most SEC outposts is well over 40 inches a year. In most it's over 50. In Austin it's closer to 30, and we know there are more years below that than above it. Throw in higher relative humidities from B/CS east and it's easy to see why the SEC thinks real grass is the way to go. 

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You're preaching to the choir, Nate.

You know who else has a field-turf baseball field?  Wimberley High School.  Softball, too.  It's hilarious to see 6A teams use our fields for playoff games when it rains.

Our football field is also field-turf, and I'm pretty sure it was the first 3A FT field in the state. 

Both got approved because of the water usage.

But for years and years and years and years, the excuse UT always gave was that hosting the UIL state tournament meant that they couldn't possibly have a grass field.

I will say that the current DF field-turf field >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> old Astroturf field.

You know, I might be a little more open to a field-turf baseball diamond if they would at least have real dirt at the bases rather than just the pitching mound.  It just doesn't seem right sliding into base on little rubber pellets.

EDIT:  FU Deej for beating me to it.   

Edited by Uncle Nate

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

I'm not sure title IX has anything to do with it.  McCombs Field has a better surface than the Disch.  The AD simply didn't want to maintain grass at the Disch.  Still, the Disch is better than it used to be.  It was old school astroturf when I was there.  Practically green concrete.

Yeah UT has not played on a grass field since the early 1970s. I wonder what rock all these people have been living under to just now discover this. Are they aware of the whole Designated Hitter thing? The fact we use aluminum bats?

Edited by Valmy77