Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

11 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

The average rainfall in most SEC outposts is well over 40 inches a year. In most it's over 50. In Austin it's closer to 30, and we know there are more years below that than above it. Throw in higher relative humidities from B/CS east and it's easy to see why the SEC thinks real grass is the way to go. 

The amount of water it would take to keep green grass at the Disch is only a tiny fraction of the amount of water leaking daily from our shitty, old, broken water system in this town. And I bet 90% of those same assholes would vote against using public funds to fix it. No cr.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

While I am all for playing the super regional here in Austin that Tennessee Tech team is no joke.

We would have our hands full for sure.

I'd look forward to dispatching as many SEC teams as possible en route to an title in Omaha. But realistically, whatever gives us the best chance of playing on is the smart thing to hope for. Now, if only I knew which opponent that was. 

21 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

They don't want to spend the coin it takes to maintain real grass.

Pro stadiums have full-time staffs that do nothing but baby that grass nearly 24/7.  Even a rich athletic department like UT can't really dedicate that many resources to a single facility.

Wut?  It's a few guys and some water.  Assuming 120,000 sq feet watered 3X per week (1" water) that would be $1,200 per week (COA commercial water rates).  We maintained DKR for all but 35 years of astro/other turf with no complaints.  That's about half the size of a full-turf baseball field, but I don't think cost is REALLY the issue here.  (And yes, I understand football pays the bills.)

Plus, when you figure cost of other maintenance on artificial VS grass fields, grass begins to pull even.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

While I am all for playing the super regional here in Austin that Tennessee Tech team is no joke.

We would have our hands full for sure.

I was just looking and in their line-up today the lowest batting average was .306. Every single hitter can rake. We better be careful what were wish for. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'd look forward to dispatching as many SEC teams as possible en route to an title in Omaha. But realistically, whatever gives us the best chance of playing on is the smart thing to hope for. Now, if only I knew which opponent that was. 

We are 30-7 at home and 9-11 on the road.  It looks like Tenn Tech had the best regular season record in the country.  They may very well be legitimately better than Ole Miss.  Even with a shitty conference, they are pretty damn good, but we have a way better chance at beating Tenn Tech at DF than we have at winning a Super on the road against Ole Miss.

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Still, the Disch is better than it used to be.  It was old school astroturf when I was there.  Practically green concrete.

Yes it was.  Bloopers would bounce straight up in the air.  I miss that crappy ass field.  THAT was a home field advantage.  Nobody knew how to play on it but us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Home vs Road = no brainer

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah UT has not played on a grass field since the early 1970s. I wonder what rock all these people have been living under to just now discover this. Are they aware of the whole Designated Hitter thing? The fact we use aluminum bats?

yeah and when did we remove that rock cliff thing from the outfield?  why is the pitchers mound so low?

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Yes it was.  Bloopers would bounce straight up in the air.  I miss that crappy ass field.  THAT was a home field advantage.  Nobody knew how to play on it but us.

Not only that, but grounders into the gap actually picked UP speed....opposing outfielders, used to playing on grass and taking certain angles would find the ball getting by them and to the wall.....

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah and when did we remove that rock cliff thing from the outfield?  why is the pitchers mound so low?

This is the real argument we need to be making!  Bring back the rock cliff!  Once we do that, then we can worry about grass.

3 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

What rock cliff ( avatar) would you be talking about??

Billy Goat Hill.

Edit: So is your name actually Billy Goat Hill? Or William Goat Hill? Or William G. Hill? This demands a more thorough investigation.

Edited by Gut Wagon

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wut?  It's a few guys and some water.  Assuming 120,000 sq feet watered 3X per week (1" water) that would be $1,200 per week (COA commercial water rates).  We maintained DKR for all but 35 years of astro/other turf with no complaints.  That's about half the size of a full-turf baseball field, but I don't think cost is REALLY the issue here.  (And yes, I understand football pays the bills.)

Plus, when you figure cost of other maintenance on artificial VS grass fields, grass begins to pull even.

turf is all about being able to get games/events in when it rains, IMO. the maintenance cost savings is a side effect.   

One thing I noticed this past weekend watching all of these regionals, and believe me I watched almost every one of them completely, was the ball flies out of all of those SEC stadiums.

So I am all for playing at home, for obvious reasons, and where many of those HR's would be deep outs.

Edited by Steamboat1874

1 hour ago, wood said:

Oh, I know, but Texas baseball fans have also wanted grass at DF for as long as I can remember ... even back in the late 70s when I first star5ted attending games there.

Yeah I wasn't really replying to you but the post you were replying to. Sorry. 

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

Newton's laws, how do they work?

Uh, Thanks professor. The old astroturf first put into the Disch was much faster than any other playing surface or grass field which almost everyone else played on back then. And also the newer field turf now. Many opposing outfileders had trouble getting the right angle on the ball due to this.

Guest Lobo
23 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

imo, wins and championships matter far more to me than the playing surface

Your mom's playing surface has made me a champion.  Multiple times.  

94fe0df3c7877e469165b9fa8e1cfb44.jpg

Our boy DDA being told he can’t sit anywhere but the seat on his ticket. This was after he got asked to leave behind home and then third base line.

I almost called him up to our section as we had a coupe seats open around us.

I want fired up DDA as close to the field as possible...but not my kids.

\m/

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am not ok with it.

Per aggy "gunnysacks":

"You can just see it in our guys' eyes, the rivalry doesnt mean shite to them. none of them know what its like to grow up despising TU, yet every single ballplayer from austin gets sick and tired of hearing about SEC-SEC and how the Ags put one over on them in realignment.  

When they announced we were playing texas in the selection show, the mood in the longhorn locker room was orgasmic. that clemens kid probly creamed his pants.The hunter has become the hunted. its going to be like this in every sport from now until the foreseeable future and its pathetic that our coach cant instill this motivation into our guys. Parker french, Ben johnson, kody clemens, all sips whose names i will remember for the rest of my life cause they talked loads of shite yet backed it up while we folded. frick that hurt to type."

OK.  Some of this I can agree with.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

94fe0df3c7877e469165b9fa8e1cfb44.jpg

Our boy DDA being told he can’t sit anywhere but the seat on his ticket. This was after he got asked to leave behind home and then third base line.

I almost called him up to our section as we had a coupe seats open around us.

I want fired up DDA as close to the field as possible...but not my kids.

\m/

Be good to your best customers.  I learned this in Introdution to Pre-Business 101.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Per aggy "gunnysacks":

"You can just see it in our guys' eyes, the rivalry doesnt mean shite to them. none of them know what its like to grow up despising TU, yet every single ballplayer from austin gets sick and tired of hearing about SEC-SEC and how the Ags put one over on them in realignment.  

When they announced we were playing texas in the selection show, the mood in the longhorn locker room was orgasmic. that clemens kid probly creamed his pants.The hunter has become the hunted. its going to be like this in every sport from now until the foreseeable future and its pathetic that our coach cant instill this motivation into our guys. Parker french, Ben johnson, kody clemens, all sips whose names i will remember for the rest of my life cause they talked loads of shite yet backed it up while we folded. frick that hurt to type."

lol, no, you dumb hayseed fucks.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, he's half right.

This part was amusing to me.  Aggie fans are obsessed with how they "put one over" on Texas.  I doubt their players care all that much, and our players don't care at all.  It's nothing more than their fantasy that all of us miserable t-sips are over here wailing and gnashing our teeth over their departure.

I am so glad we at least got the chance to beat them once before they got sent packing from our regional.

Edited by utee94

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

I suppose they are hunted the same way the ducks are in a carnival shooting gallery. Beating aggy is occasionally fun, and you might win a stuffed animal because you do it, but it ain't exactly something you brag about at the water cooler the next day.

Sure it's fun, just like it's fun beating your little brother in ping pong.  It happens way more than it doesn't and the main reward is watching little brother flip out.

54 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Per aggy "gunnysacks":

They will have to “hunt” a spare team that wins nearly 53% of it’s games in 3 different conferences over a 100 year period.  Granted, that’s football, but mighty aggy can “spare” you to death in any sport.  They are the personification of mediocre.  Ain’t nobody huntin aggy.

17 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Oooh. Good one. Very witty.  Yes, counselor. I get that your feelings of superiority make you believe that your SEC affiliation situates you above the fray of lesser conferences. 

So go ahead and explain, spell it out for me, because I’m so dense, how your butt-buddies at a and m got bounced so quickly in a “sniff”, Big12 regional. 

At least their meltdown against Indiana wasn’t “boring”, was it?

Dude.    I was obviously joking about the boring comment.   The foul catch (that was not a catch) thingy to end the game had just happened, and your pitcher closed it out like a boss.   Awesome finish.   Which is why I congratulated you.     Show me on the doll where the SEC touched you.   You need to get out more.   

Look, I  hope the SEC shows well in Supers to be respectable, but I'd rather not have batters familiar with our pitchers having yet another hack at our guys if we get by those FAU assholes....which is not a given at all.    I don't like losing to South Carolina in a final.   I'm sure LSU thought the same thing last year about us.

And I don't give a fuck about Aggy because they are SEC.    But y'all said, "No take backs!", so that's on us.     So anyway, Go Duke!   

And smoke a bowl will ya, you're too wound up.