NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s my longstanding opinion that Dodds is the reason we are in the position we are and is the root cause of 40 years of shit minus a lucky Mack Brown run. 

Well, the truth is the Longhorn Foundation was necessary to drag UT from the stone ages in terms of raising money. Having each program be responsible for their own fundraising wasn’t workable on any level. But once the measurement became his ability to raise revenue, that became the ethos of the department. “What gets measured gets done.” Raising revenue is what got measured, so that’s what got done, regardless of what else was going on.

It not only created warped priorities in the UT athletic department, but by extension the massive commercialization of the UT AD became the best practices model for ADs around the country. 

It’s not like Texas hasn’t accomplished anything in collegiate sports, but it’s hard to argue another program that has underachieved more. In football I used to point to USC as our biggest competitor in that regard, but the hiring of Lincoln Riley was a coup, and they’re obviously not having any difficulty in marshaling the power of NIL to their competitive advantage. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Then don’t get drawn offsides. 

The culture of this board as I read it tends to be very much anti UT athletic department in terms of trying to win championships, particularly in football. That’s a generalization, and like all generalizations it’s not accurate across the board. 

Look, man, if you feel like you’re alone in your frustration, or you’re a special snowflake regarding your level of frustration, all I can tell you is you’re among your people. 

In the last 40 years, starting in 1984, we have had 10 years of legitimate national relevancy from 2000-2009, with outliers in 1990 and 2018. Maybe 1998 if you count Ricky’s Heisman, which I don’t as satisfying as that season was. Much of that was due to an athletic department that placed little value in actually fielding a championship level football team. It starts with the coaching searches and subsequent hires, and the Sarkisian hire fits right in there with Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong, and Herman as an underwhelming hire for the status and resources of the program. There’s some luck involved with this stuff, too, but at a position where Texas should be swinging for the fences, they seem content with bunt singles and maybe a double or two. 

It’s also a fact that Title IX has disproportionately affected UT compared to every other school in the country thanks to former women’s AD Donna Lopiano successfully encouraging students and lawyers to file a lawsuit against her employer - a lawsuit that was settled out of court in a way that hamstrung certain aspects of the football program, and empowered an anti football bias within the department that exists to this day. 

Then you have the history of Darrell Royal being prevented from having anything to do with football as the acting AD. Deloss Dodds successfully linking his measurement of competency exclusively to fundraising, regardless of the actual competitiveness of the teams he oversaw, Steve Patterson being an unmitigated disaster. and now CDC, who for all the good he’s done (and I happen to be a fan) does seem to think he can market his way to success in football regardless of how well the team performs.

We’re all beyond frustrated. If I could characterize surly as anything, it’s a collection of fans with blue balls because of our annual ineptitude in football. My personal problem is I think we still have the wrong coach, and so all the wonderful tools in the world to help him achieve success are still going to fall short, but hopefully the foundation will be there for the next guy. 

But this isn’t the place to talk about actions that are out of bounds but still necessary to perform. Go create a text chain or find a private forum for that shit. 

Really good write-up and spot on. But I do have one question: Do you really think most college football programs win by landing great coaches? I don't think our coaches (minus Strong) are much worse than most of the other coaches out there. I mean, Kirby Smart is a good defensive coordinate who wins by landing the best players (and finally hired a good OC after how many years?). From a coaching standpoint, he's David McWilliams. Cookie Monster is the worst head coach in college football history and won a title. Les Miles had 2 strokes and can't even talk. Cristobal is a joke in everything but oline and buying players.

Saban is the best out there and he was a decade late in changing his schemes and recruited personnel. It didn't matter because of his talent advantage. He was also known as way too uptight to win before his talent advantage just made it not matter anymore.

I could keep going and discuss the Joker's that won titles in the old days.  The point is, the other things you mentioned keep us from landing the elite talent and you cannot win without it. There's no amount of the 200th ranked players in the country that can overcome that at a Blueblood. We face way more pressure than TCU. You must land a balanced roster with 5-star talent.

The Title 9 mess needs to go to court. I've been told it would have a good chance of getting a compete overhaul. It is unconstitutional as currently written IMO. It's not that there shouldn't be a Title 9, it's just the law has overreach and was changed at the last minute to discriminate against males.  In an attempt to make things fair, there was an overcorrection.

Texas is full of Title 9 apologists and it is a major issue IMO. 

Most colleges don't want to challenge it because it's a cover for amaeutusm IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Really good write-up and spot on. But I do have one question: Do you really think most college football programs win by landing great coaches? I don't think our coaches (minus Strong) are much worse than most of the other coaches out there. I mean, Kirby Smart is a good defensive coordinate who wins by landing the best players (and finally hired a good OC after how many years?). From a coaching standpoint, he's David McWilliams. Cookie Monster is the worst head coach in college football history and won a title. Les Miles had 2 strokes and can't even talk. Cristobal is a joke in everything but oline and buying players.

Saban is the best out there and he was a decade late in changing his schemes and recruited personnel. It didn't matter because of his talent advantage. He was also known as way too uptight to win before his talent advantage just made it not matter anymore.

I could keep going and discuss the Joker's that won titles in the old days.  The point is, the other things you mentioned keep us from landing the elite talent and you cannot win without it. There's no amount of the 200th ranked players in the country that can overcome that at a Blueblood. We face way more pressure than TCU. You must land a balanced roster with 5-star talent.

The Title 9 mess needs to go to court. I've been told it would have a good chance of getting a compete overhaul. It is unconstitutional as currently written IMO. It's not that there shouldn't be a Title 9, it's just the law has overreach and was changed at the last minute to discriminate against males.  In an attempt to make things fair, there was an overcorrection.

Texas is full of Title 9 apologists and it is a major issue IMO. 

Most colleges don't want to challenge it because it's a cover for amaeutusm IMO.

Since I can't edit, "good chance" probably wasn't the best wording. And I'm not a lawyer, of course. But if the NCAA was willing to breakup and go pay for play, Title 9 won't stand in the way IMO. The courts would make changes IMO. It was an overcorrection when written. Counting football in with everything else to the point men's Olympic sports don't get scholarships while women get scholarships in those same sports is wrong.

11 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Ha dude the money I tried to put together for the NIL stuff is like 1/10th of what Ive done over the years. They didnt want to put in, because they werent convinced this stuff was actually safe to do. With what Plonsky is doing right now, how can anyone blame them? I did my best to convince them it was, because I strongly prefer yalls model. That was the whole point of meeting with yall. The two guys I specifically referenced that night ended up putting in elsewhere, and they were young guys that had never been involved before. Plonsky would love to go after these guys, but fortunately their group is completely buttoned up. You can call it whatever pejorative you want, but I helped them find a place they were comfortable putting their money. (insert the prove it or youre full of shit, like thats even possible). Again, why would yall even support Plonsky going after people that are actively making us better? 

I mean, do you honestly believe that the NIL is the only recruiting lever we are pulling? How long have you been following this shit? And you're ok with Plonsky unnecessarily trying to put a stop to it, even though everyone is being plenty careful? I dont get it. Look at who we are recruiting and who we have hired to recruit them. Look at where they came from and look at the offers these highly recruited kids are entertaining. You think we would even be able to get them to visit if above the board NIL stuff was all we were offering? Why would anyone, let alone fans as big as yall, want to upset that apple cart when its obvious our staff is at least playing the game enough to even have them available to entertain an NIL deal? 

PaYiNg PlAyErS iS sO hArD bEcAuSe PlOnSkY

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Ha dude the money I tried to put together for the NIL stuff is like 1/10th of what Ive done over the years. They didnt want to put in, because they werent convinced this stuff was actually safe to do. With what Plonsky is doing right now, how can anyone blame them? I did my best to convince them it was, because I strongly prefer yalls model. That was the whole point of meeting with yall. The two guys I specifically referenced that night ended up putting in elsewhere, and they were young guys that had never been involved before. Plonsky would love to go after these guys, but fortunately their group is completely buttoned up. You can call it whatever pejorative you want, but I helped them find a place they were comfortable putting their money. (insert the prove it or youre full of shit, like thats even possible). Again, why would yall even support Plonsky going after people that are actively making us better? 

I mean, do you honestly believe that the NIL is the only recruiting lever we are pulling? How long have you been following this shit? And you're ok with Plonsky unnecessarily trying to put a stop to it, even though everyone is being plenty careful? I dont get it. Look at who we are recruiting and who we have hired to recruit them. Look at where they came from and look at the offers these highly recruited kids are entertaining. You think we would even be able to get them to visit if above the board NIL stuff was all we were offering? Why would anyone, let alone fans as big as yall, want to upset that apple cart when its obvious our staff is at least playing the game enough to even have them available to entertain an NIL deal? 

So 800k max over 3 coaching regimes compared to well into the 7 and low 8 figures in one year and we are the clowns? Sit down and shut up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, we can just pay whatever we want for autographed pics (but not UT helmet stuff) right?

If that’s true it doesn’t seem like there would ever be any need to be outside of the rules. 

It's progress but I do have a question on that: How do elite high school kids and possible transfers know for a fact they are going to get six to seven figures when they show up? If other schools are offering them guarantees the moment they sign? Even small percentages before they sign?

I don't know enough about NIL. That's something I've always felt is hard to overcome. Maybe there is an answer to it, especially if enough money is raised above board. From looking at it from the outside, with no real knowledge on NIL, I fear it is going to take a substantial amount for above board operations to counter someone offering guarantees to specific elite prospects. I know Texas can get there, but that's asking a lot and will actually make us a loser in the perception game. Everyone will blame Texas for being  the pay for play model, whether true or not. When you need to raise that much money for the entire roster in order to guarantee elite athletes their monetary value. Other programs are just paying the elites substantial  amounts in NIL and guaranteeing them thru lawyers before they even arrive to campus (my guess, considering how the old pay system worked).

I'm here just waiting for NCAA to die for good. I don't think I would be active again if that wasn't a reasonable possibility.

We need a commissioner, salary cap, easily enforceable rules and about to 30 to 40 of the best schools in the country playing each other every week.

The rest can have their own championships, ending a few weeks before the big boys, and then their winner is invited into the major championship at the worst seed (8).

It's would be a win for everyone involved. Fan participation would go way up across the country.

I'm a huge fan who checked out a long time ago. College football is crooked, not competitive and full of nonsense. Why would I want to watch that?

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

nm

Listen buddy. You’ve been railing about our boosters not doing shit for years. Relentlessly. And many of us have been right there with you. And you’ve been very consistent on it, none of us have to go back far to find your hand wringing posts. But now you’re talking about some amazing wide spread network that’s existed for years and been responsible for so many players. So successful you tried to take some credit for a recent position haul while insulting many folks here. Which is it, you can’t have it both ways. But I’ll tell you what when you try you look…full of shit. 

we’ve all read the famous bagman article. Clearly you need to read it again, because rule #1 from that guy was basically STFU and if you’re looking for credit you’re in the wrong line of work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen buddy. You’ve been railing about our boosters not doing shit for years. Relentlessly. And many of us have been right there with you. And you’ve been very consistent on it, none of us have to go back far to find your hand wringing posts. But now you’re talking about some amazing wide spread network that’s existed for years and been responsible for so many players. So successful you tried to take some credit for a recent position haul while insulting many folks here. Which is it, you can’t have it both ways. But I’ll tell you what when you try you look…full of shit. 

we’ve all read the famous bagman article. Clearly you need to read it again, because rule #1 from that guy was basically STFU and if you’re looking for credit you’re in the wrong line of work. 

It’s not about credit. I’ve just put enough of my own time and money into this stuff, that I’m going to respond when someone is saying I haven’t done anything. 

And on the topic of credit, I’ve spent a portion of that time recently singing y’all’s gospel, and have gone out of my way to applaud not just your efforts and the merit of your structure, but the smart direction it’s going to push the future of the sport. 

What set me off, is comments like “at this point you’re just stupid if you’re not compliant”. Or “you can’t buy a championship.” Or having the ignorance to defend Plonsky at all. Those just aren’t true statements, and mixed with yesterdays Plonsky stuff and a healthy hangover, I made the mistake of trying to defend what shouldn’t even be discussed on here. I admire you and CTJ a ton. The team Plonsky chuds can eat a dick though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

It’s not about credit. I’ve just put enough of my own time and money into this stuff, that I’m going to respond when someone is saying I haven’t done anything. 

And on the topic of credit, I’ve spent a portion of that time recently singing y’all’s gospel, and have gone out of my way to applaud not just your efforts and the merit of your structure, but the smart direction it’s going to push the future of the sport. 

What set me off, is comments like “at this point you’re just stupid if you’re not compliant”. Or “you can’t buy a championship.” Or having the ignorance to defend Plonsky at all. Those just aren’t true statements, and mixed with yesterdays Plonsky stuff and a healthy hangover, I made the mistake of trying to defend what shouldn’t even be discussed on here. I admire you and CTJ a ton. The team Plonsky chuds can eat a dick though. 

Lol team Plonsky, can you even fucking read? And ya, you’re stupid if you’re not compliant because if you can’t tell that’s exactly where this is headed? Or do you think the NCAA has any teeth AT ALL!!! Like really dude? You think a bag game that’s worked for years now will suddenly die because of compliance when there are legal methods to do it? Is Plonsky fucking new? Did Plonsky just get the job? What the fuck has changed? Did aggy not just spend a metric ton of cash on their class? We are offering legit fucking means, clean fucking money and hey a tax break on anything sure is nice. Team Plonsky, get a fucking grip. Team not being stupid with our money is a lot more like it or just keep shitting that know nothing gas out of your mouth, want me to believe you’re all hat and no cattle, let’s see some actual effort towards legitimate means and not just telling people that are actually making shit happen and making shit work legally that their efforts are stupid and not needed like we heard you tell the biggest guy who is making shit happen to his face. I see a lot of hot air and bitching, how about fucking do something meaningful, cause the people you’re belittling actually are

• Fuck You 1

I may be not reading this correctly, but @Barbacoa haven't you said previously that donors didn't want to get involved because "it wasn't safe"?

Isn't what RGB, Immamac, Sydney Carton, et al, doing exactly that? A safe way? I don't see the issue, and I don't see why everything shouldn't be forced towards being "compliant."

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, we can just pay whatever we want for autographed pics (but not UT helmet stuff) right?

If that’s true it doesn’t seem like there would ever be any need to be outside of the rules. 

Yeah seems like a pretty stupid huge loophole if so. Idk how that works

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I may be not reading this correctly, but @Barbacoa haven't you said previously that donors didn't want to get involved because "it wasn't safe"?

Isn't what RGB, Immamac, Sydney Carton, et al, doing exactly that? A safe way? I don't see the issue, and I don't see why everything shouldn't be forced towards being "compliant."

Thank you! If anyone is worried about the ncaa or compliance they are stupid because they did it the old way, literally just walk up to an enrolled athlete at any school, ask them to sign your bar tab and hand them $100,000. What I just described is legal 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, just to clarify, I misspoke. I know Barbacoa isn't saying there is a "problem" with being compliant. He's defending it actually here in this thread, however maybe he's comparing the fact that money needs to get to recruits first, rather than just enrolled athletes? Which, I can kind of see that stance, however if our athletes keep landing incredible NIL deals such as Lamborgini for a "face of the franchise" type, in theory it's just a giant sign saying "come here, perform, and get paid."

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 7:53 PM, immamac said:

Good thing HWH and Burnt Ends are 100% compliant with all laws. As well as the BMF awards.

18 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Its too easy to be compliant and too stupid not to be

Was just commenting this on Reddit, in response to an Aggy whining about the OL program. Aggy (and a later South Carolina dipshit) were downvoted into oblivion.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No reason not to do both tbh. NCAA won’t do shit. Just about every national champion since the turn of the century is dirty. 

Agreed. Layered cake.

We should have the biggest strongest foundation for legit NIL that meets compliance which is what most of the people here are working for. This seems much more difficult than fast food bags full of cash.

That doesn’t make the other shit irrelevant, just not the deal breaker it was for us against Alabama/UGA etc prior to NIL.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Agreed. Layered cake.

We should have the biggest strongest foundation for legit NIL that meets compliance which is what most of the people here are working for. This seems much more difficult than fast food bags full of cash.

That doesn’t make the other shit irrelevant, just not the deal breaker it was for us against Alabama/UGA etc prior to NIL.

Makes total sense.  I'm confused by folks who posture and hate on UT's current recruitment but then hate on the strategy that currently proves most effective to getting any player we want (proverbial Whataburger bags a la aggies).  Pick a lane.

Now, if you said we are playing the long game and we should completely understand losing players now while we build up our foundation and do it the right way, that makes total sense to me---win in long run and dont worry as much about short term results.   I don't agree with it.....but it is at least consistent.

But mixing the hating on short term results with hating on the very effective short run solutions does not compute in my simple mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Makes total sense.  I'm confused by folks who posture and hate on UT's current recruitment but then hate on the strategy that currently proves most effective to getting any player we want (proverbial Whataburger bags a la aggies).  Pick a lane.

Now, if you said we are playing the long game and we should completely understand losing players now while we build up our foundation and do it the right way, that makes total sense to me---win in long run and dont worry as much about short term results.   I don't agree with it.....but it is at least consistent.

But mixing the hating on short term results with hating on the very effective short run solutions does not compute in my simple mind. 

lebowski_worry.gif.fd6722bc9b9dbe9bc4ea34e804f9dfec.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

My fucking stepmother likes her. A lot. Apparently they hit it off when McRaven was around.

I don’t like my stepmother.

I'm going to assume you're talking about your mom's wife. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus, don't even know a word yet, just a little infant, so cuddly, but still omnipotent. We'd just like to thank you for forcing the NCAA to investigate Aggy and Oklahoma for all of their recruiting violations, and to punish them for their wicked behavior! Thank you, for all your power and your grace, Dear Baby God, Amen.

ricky GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hornlover said:

Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus, don't even know a word yet, just a little infant, so cuddly, but still omnipotent. We'd just like to thank you for forcing the NCAA to investigate Aggy and Oklahoma for all of their recruiting violations, and to punish them for their wicked behavior! Thank you, for all your power and your grace, Dear Baby God, Amen.

ricky GIF

I am sure Ewers and Neyor will be investigated in that case as well, so don't get too excited. 

Just now, Vertigo said:

I am sure Ewers and Neyor will be investigated in that case as well, so don't get too excited. 

I believe (but I'm not 100% certain) that the guidelines clarifying booster inducements only pertain to High School recruits, not transfers. 

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

“We’re tough, we’re hard and cheating ain’t something I’m going to do,” Fisher told a gathering at the Houston Touchdown Club last week. “I don’t believe in it, never have done it and ain’t going to.”

The NCAA does not agree, considering in the summer of 2020 the governing body placed A&M football on one-year probation and banned Fisher from all off-campus recruiting for the fall 2020 contact period following what the organization dubbed violations concerning “recruiting and countable athletically related activity rules between January 2018 and February 2019.”

Hahahaha. Jimbo is such a con man, and a liar. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3