NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

Steve Spurrier provides candid thoughts on Nick Saban-Jimbo Fisher verbal spat

“Did Saban say something that wasn’t true?”

“Since (Fisher) beat him last year, I guess he can talk now,” Spurrier said, referring to Fisher becoming the first former Saban assistant to beat the legendary coach last season.

“He hasn’t beat much of anybody, but he beat Saban last year. But they haven’t won the division or anything since he’s been there.”

Edited by The Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

On 5/20/2022 at 4:06 PM, ClubWhatever said:

That guy appears to cover Penn State.  Enai White is supposed to play in some PA vs MD game on May 30.   He's on the roster for the game.  Let's see if he actually plays.  The tweet used the past tense but not doing so would give away the person.

By the way, White previously bowed out of the AA game in San Antonio due to Covid.

https://www.pennlive.com/highschoolsports/football/2022/05/pennsylvania-big-33-team-loses-imhotep-charter-de-and-texas-am-signee-enai-white.html?outputType=amp

As expected.  

The 65th edition of the Big 33 Football Classic is now days away and there’s another significant change to the Pennsylvania roster.

A Friday release stated that Imhotep Charter and Texas A&M defensive end recruit Enai White, one of the state’s top prospects in the Class of 2022, has been replaced by Mount Lebanon DT Owen Halter.

According to the release from an official with the Pa. High School Football Coaches Association, White was told by Texas A&M that his Name, Image and Likeness money would be withheld if he participated in the Memorial Day event.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So m dumb. That’s not NiL money aggy. Just stop lying you sheep fucking idiots. 

It doesn’t matter what they call it, it means it was a recruiting inducement and a blatant violation.  So either the player is a liar or Jimbo is.  Hmm, wonder which one it is.  Not to mention, what a bitch move to try to deny the kid the ability to play.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Wait, the official release said that a high school athlete had an NIL deal with Texas A&M? 

I think that the laws in Pennsylvania would apply here and they might allow it.  Texas doesn't.  There's also a chance I misunderstand or am confusing the laws. 

6 minutes ago, Moderator said:

I think that the laws in Pennsylvania would apply here and they might allow it.  Texas doesn't.  There's also a chance I misunderstand or am confusing the laws. 

It’s not just about state laws.  There are still NCAA recruiting rules.  

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s not just about state laws.  There are still NCAA recruiting rules.  

NCAA rules are can't use as an inducement (really hard to prove unless someone fucks up), schools can't offer, and has to be Fair Market Value (impossible to govern).  There is nothing about getting paid as a high schooler.  Puma signed a multi million dollar deal with a basketball player in NC.  If this player played in public school then he would no longer be able to play based on NC laws, but since he is in private it didn't effect him at all. 

Edited by Moderator

3 minutes ago, Moderator said:

NCAA rules are can't use as an inducement (really hard to prove unless someone fucks up), schools can't offer, and has to be Fair Market Value (impossible to govern).  There is nothing about getting paid as a high schooler.  Puma signed a multi million dollar deal with a basketball player in NC.  If this player played in public school then he would no longer be able to play based on NC laws, but since he is in private it didn't effect him at all. 

I think one of the issues is that the NCAA just came out and said that NIL collectives are now considered 'boosters' and as such are not allowed to have contact with high school recruits.

Not that anyone is going to do a damn thing about it.

13 minutes ago, Moderator said:

This applies to All-Star games? 

I have no clue about the legal side of things but this is a clear violation of NCAA rules. He's straight up admitting to an inducement. 

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not that anyone is going to do a damn thing about it.

People keep saying this but personally I think aggy is being incredibly sloppy. They have recruits like this kid publicly admitting to inducements, then they have Jimbo publicly saying he's never cheated, and Jimbo is pissing everyone off in the SEC. 

They're begging the NCAA to come after them. 

Jimbo and aggy should just shut their mouths but they seem too stupid to realize this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

People keep saying this but personally I think aggy is being incredibly sloppy. They have recruits like this kid publicly admitting to inducements, then they have Jimbo publicly saying he's never cheated, and Jimbo is pissing everyone off in the SEC. 

They're begging the NCAA to come after them. 

Jimbo and aggy should just shut their mouths but they seem too stupid to realize this. 

Reckless incompetency is in their DNA.

• Haha 2

I am with you all. I can't see how a hs athlete can sign NIL that allows a college to control his actions before he ever enrolls.

It's not like it is Nike telling him to not participate in an Adidas event.

Funny how Jimbo claims to know nothing about his school's NIL program, yet somehow this kid is not allowed to play in an all-star football game due to his nil contract. Who would care about that other than his college football coach?

It's not like playing hurts his nil value, if anything he stands to increase it. Theoretically, having an athlete you already signed play in an all-star game should enhance your value in the contract.

Unless you are the football coach and worry about him getting injured. 

1 hour ago, pacman said:

I am with you all. I can't see how a hs athlete can sign NIL that allows a college to control his actions before he ever enrolls.

It's not like it is Nike telling him to not participate in an Adidas event.

Funny how Jimbo claims to know nothing about his school's NIL program, yet somehow this kid is not allowed to play in an all-star football game due to his nil contract. Who would care about that other than his college football coach?

It's not like playing hurts his nil value, if anything he stands to increase it. Theoretically, having an athlete you already signed play in an all-star game should enhance your value in the contract.

Unless you are the football coach and worry about him getting injured. 

I think there is a possibilty of a violation here and most likely is, but what is provable? 

Aggy didn't have a NIL collective when they got the #1 class, so are any of these considered boosters?  If it's a company that is sponsoring his NIL contract, is there anything to prevent them saying to not play any games until his college career to prevent injury?  I doubt it.  

Also, I've been told on this site that none of these were NIL deals, seems to me maybe some were.  If there isn't a NIL contract here, seems like Aggy is really screwing themselves as White can just blow the whistle if they don't pay him.  

I will also add that playing in a Pennsylvania high school all star game doesn't increase any market value for a company especially one based in Texas.  If he blows out his knee and misses his freshman year it hurts it. 

Edited by Moderator

It's possible he signed an NIL after he signed with Aggy - making the NIL not an inducement. 

It's also possible that his NIL deal may have made him ineligible to play in the game.

Occam's razor and all, but most likely he got paid under the table by Aggy, and then they told him 'don't play in all star game'. 

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

It's possible he signed an NIL after he signed with Aggy - making the NIL not an inducement. 

It's also possible that his NIL deal may have made him ineligible to play in the game.

Occam's razor and all, but most likely he got paid under the table by Aggy, and then they told him 'don't play in all star game'. 

My understanding is that it's enrollment at the university that allows NIL deals to be done, not signing a National Letter of Intent 

4 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Fortunately, as one of the most penalized colleges in the ncaa, we know aggy is prone to taking shortcuts and to being sloppy.

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Jimbo is an absolute idiot that is now leaving his boosters high and dry. "THESES ARE NOT NIL DEALS" thanks bruh, so what the fuck are they? Why is a kid from miami going to fucking college station to play football? after an 8-4 season which showed little promise outside of a fluke bama win. The dude is an absolute idiot and we may be watching career suicide in real time

Don't forget when said kid committed they had no DC if we're talking about same kid.

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Jimbo is an absolute idiot that is now leaving his boosters high and dry. "THESES ARE NOT NIL DEALS" thanks bruh, so what the fuck are they? Why is a kid from miami going to fucking college station to play football? after an 8-4 season which showed little promise outside of a fluke bama win. The dude is an absolute idiot and we may be watching career suicide in real time

Maybe Saban just wanted to get Jimbo on record saying some ridiculous things. Just keep giving Jimbo rope and he'll take care of the rest.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

I would like to think this but who is going to enforce anything here?

1 hour ago, AP101S said:

Maybe Saban just wanted to get Jimbo on record saying some ridiculous things. Just keep giving Jimbo rope and he'll take care of the rest.

The most confusing part is Bjork hasn't told Jimbo to shut the fuck up yet. 

Jimbo is terrible at discussing this stuff and makes himself look even more in the wrong. If anyone had common sense at aggy they would have already told Jimbo to stop talking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The most confusing part is Bjork hasn't told Jimbo to shut the fuck up yet. 

Jimbo is terrible at discussing this stuff and makes himself look even more in the wrong. If anyone had common sense at aggy they would have already told Jimbo to stop talking. 

Bjork said the 1/11 have deals thing before Jimbo did. He's just as dumb, as evidenced by his SEC Media Day stunt and his own comments this week. No wonder he got busted at Ole Miss.

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Hilarious and predictable. 

The original story even says that the "release from an official with the Pennsylvania High School Football Coaches Association stated why he withdrew." So this wasn't even a reporter running with a bad source it was officially released by the organization hosting the All-Star game. Why would they make this up? 

Somebody at aggy told the kid to shut up and change the story. 

https://brobible.com/sports/article/texas-am-recruiting-nil-enai-white-threat/

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, Hornlover said:

i believe he can't sign a NIL deal until he is on enrolled/on campus

43 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Just heard fishers exchange with ksat on the radio.   Jimbo is telling his SID “I got it” mid interview 

second half of that is coming out next weekend, so you know it's far from over.

• Hook 'Em 1

This shit is outta hand.

I mean as someone who watches a lot of movies and crime shows, it seems like the money trail left by all the currency changing hands would be pretty easy to follow, no?

I mean if someone more competent than the NCAA wanted to investigate.

1 NIL deal for 11 early enrollees means aggy straight up bought players. Does Jimbo have no idea how this interview makes him look?

It's also getting tiring to see the "blame the media" cop out. There is no political agenda here and trust me Jimbo, aggy doesn't drive "clicks or hits" normally. When it does though, it's all for the wrong reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hilarious and predictable. 

The original story even says that the "release from an official with the Pennsylvania High School Football Coaches Association stated why he withdrew." So this wasn't even a reporter running with a bad source it was officially released by the organization hosting the All-Star game. Why would they make this up? 

Somebody at aggy told the kid to shut up and change the story. 

https://brobible.com/sports/article/texas-am-recruiting-nil-enai-white-threat/

The best part in all of this is all of the aggie fans in the replies claiming that A&M is lawyering up for a libel lawsuit - as if they would ever allow their idiot coach to go under oath to talk about this stuff - or they'd allow themselves to go through discovery.  Zero fucking chance they would ever want to get lawyers involved in this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The best part in all of this is all of the aggie fans in the replies claiming that A&M is lawyering up for a libel lawsuit - as if they would ever allow their idiot coach to go under oath to talk about this stuff - or they'd allow themselves to go through discovery.  Zero fucking chance they would ever want to get lawyers involved in this.

I encourage a bunch of aggie lawyers to try and win a libel case.  Might push Depp/Heard for ratings.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

1 NIL deal for 11 early enrollees means aggy straight up bought players. Does Jimbo have no idea how this interview makes him look?

It's also getting tiring to see the "blame the media" cop out. There is no political agenda here and trust me Jimbo, aggy doesn't drive "clicks or hits" normally. When it does though, it's all for the wrong reasons.

I mean now we got ten pissed off players right?  Time to poach.

National media guys are laughing at Jimbo.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Haha 1