NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

52 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"leaders in the faith-based community" hope any Longhorns in Oklahoma aren't dropping their $20s in the collection plate anymore.

As a general rule, Longhorns shouldn't be residing in Oklahoma.

Edited by UDontKnow

55 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

They can’t afford to leave the Big 12, but they’re going to spend $4m on football players? Right.

Weird shit happens like aggy buying croots and overpaying their HFC cuck while their athletic department stays perpetually in the red,

16 hours ago, pacman said:

Quite a few states amending NIL legislation this week.

Horns with heart was the first to file, announce and be approved. Level 1 source

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

A little more information. For scholarship athletes in Football, Mens Basketball, and softball.  Money will vary by sport and player.  They're saying every football player can earn up to 40k-50k.  Similar to the Clark Field Collective but with less cash and support. 

No they copied our model at HWH down to even the dollar amount

2 hours ago, OB3 said:

There you go Tope! Spoken like a true Longhorn. 

Wrong. CFC isn’t giving anyone 100k across the board. They are doing one off big monetary deal type stuff

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:23 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

So Michigan is in the game?

Per the mgoblog guys, no so far.

The litmus test, per them, may be Hunter Dickinson's pro decision. Dickinson is their basketball center. He is a solid college player but has no NBA prospects. UM groups should be able to cobble together massive sums to get him to stay is school.

Edited by quigley

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Probably purposeful that they copied the UT model, don't you think? It should mitigate (not eliminate) the influence of NIL for recruits looking at both schools.

Getting Switzer to front it is also really smart too. OU's fanbase has predictable been very tepid about NIL so having a beloved elder lead the project licenses others to follow.

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Probably purposeful that they copied the UT model, don't you think? It should mitigate (not eliminate) the influence of NIL for recruits looking at both schools.

Getting Switzer to front it is also really smart too. OU's fanbase has predictable been very tepid about NIL so having a beloved elder lead the project licenses others to follow.

Certainly and they did it for everyone supposedly but I can also say that they are a non IRS approved 501c3 which has kept our restraints on. Major kudos for raising the money and Switzer is about a billion times better face than my ugly mug for HWH. This will light a fire for our donor base but def major kudos to OU

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nigel Pack, all B12 CG commits to Miami. I wonder how much they paid for hi...

You think this is part of a bigger trend with The U's athletic department? They're going fully aggy across revenue sports?

17 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Horns with heart was the first to file, announce and be approved. Level 1 source

Wrong. CFC isn’t giving anyone 100k across the board. They are doing one off big monetary deal type stuff

If that's the case why have we had plenty of people (both on here and in the media) quoting the 100k figure since it launched? 

I remember CTJ even responding that the goal was to eventually get the fund large enough to where each dude is basically almost making NFL minimum. This is the first I've heard anything about large one off deals.

I know you're involved in all of it so I'm not questioning the accuracy, I'm just confused. Doesn't seem like it'd help if we have people in media telling everyone 100k and then recruits/players finding out that's not true (even if the one off deal is worth more). 

Of course thanks for all your work with the NIL stuff!

Edited by Surlian
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Surlian said:

If that's the case why have we had plenty of people (both on here and in the media) quoting the 100k figure since it launched? 

I remember CTJ even responding that the goal was to eventually get the fund large enough to where each dude is basically almost making NFL minimum. This is the first I've heard anything about large one off deals.

I know you're involved in all of it so I'm not questioning the accuracy, I'm just confused. Doesn't seem like it'd help if we have people in media telling everyone 100k and then recruits/players finding out that's not true (even if the one off deal is worth more). 

You're confusing Clark Field Collective (CFC) and Horns with Heart (HWH).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

You're confusing Clark Field Collective (CFC) and Horns with Heart (HWH).

No - when CFC was first announced it was reported that once full funded they would be able to pay a minimum salary across all scholarship sports (obviously football paying the most).  Initially it was thought CFC combined with HWH and Burnt Ends and others would set base salaries of 100-150k for each football scholarship athlete.

Its only recently that we've heard anything about CFC focusing on big dollar NIL deals for priority athletes rather that minimums across all sports.

Maybe the 'connected' folks have known this for awhile - but it is definitely different than what was first reported to the rest of us.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No - when CFC was first announced it was reported that once full funded they would be able to pay a minimum salary across all scholarship sports (obviously football paying the most).  Initially it was thought CFC combined with HWH and Burnt Ends and others would set base salaries of 100-150k for each football scholarship athlete.

Its only recently that we've heard anything about CFC focusing on big dollar NIL deals for priority athletes rather that minimums across all sports.

Maybe the 'connected' folks have known this for awhile - but it is definitely different than what was first reported to the rest of us.

This

On 4/23/2022 at 3:31 PM, Surlian said:

People just made that 100k bullshit up based on the 10 mill figure. They don’t want to do flat baseline deals like HWH, they want to do one off deals. HWH is baseline, CFC is one offs (level more than one source on this lol)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RGBIII said:

People just made that 100k bullshit up based on the 10 mill figure. They don’t want to do flat baseline deals like HWH, they want to do one off deals. HWH is baseline, CFC is one offs (level more than one source on this lol)

This has always made sense to me. 1-85 just isn’t all that important and with free agency having hit its pretty apparent there will be a lot of turnover. It’s always made sense to me if you have a payroll to meet that you approach it like the NFL with big money to QB, game breaker at WR, left tackle, edge rusher and lock down corner. That’s 5 guys that you absolutely want to be at the top of the talent pyramid for. After that your other groups need to set a floor on some other rooms/units but that won’t need to be huge money. You have to hit the game breakers and then the other guys get what’s left over- same as it ever was. 
I’d hope that we can set a higher floor than a lot of other places for the rest of our roster, and without a doubt I’m sure we will, but the idea of spending 8 figured in an egalitarian way (especially with an 85 man roster) has always seemed wrongheaded to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, RGBIII said:

This is smart baseline deals will make it almost impossible to get rid of busts and malcontents. If the aggies really gave out multi year deals then they'll feel the pain if a couple of those done pan out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This has always made sense to me. 1-85 just isn’t all that important and with free agency having hit its pretty apparent there will be a lot of turnover. It’s always made sense to me if you have a payroll to meet that you approach it like the NFL with big money to QB, game breaker at WR, left tackle, edge rusher and lock down corner. That’s 5 guys that you absolutely want to be at the top of the talent pyramid for. After that your other groups need to set a floor on some other rooms/units but that won’t need to be huge money. You have to hit the game breakers and then the other guys get what’s left over- same as it ever was. 
I’d hope that we can set a higher floor than a lot of other places for the rest of our roster, and without a doubt I’m sure we will, but the idea of spending 8 figured in an egalitarian way (especially with an 85 man roster) has always seemed wrongheaded to me. 

38 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

This is smart baseline deals will make it almost impossible to get rid of busts and malcontents. If the aggies really gave out multi year deals then they'll feel the pain if a couple of those done pan out. 

Baseline is what is important to us as we believe all UT football players name image and likeness is worth 50k each regardless of position or playing status. We set the baseline and guys like Alfred Collins or Junior Angilau, CFC takes care of guys like Bijan or Worthy

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Baseline is what is important to us as we believe all UT football players name image and likeness is worth 50k each regardless of position or playing status. We set the baseline and guys like Alfred Collins or Junior Angilau, CFC takes care of guys like Bijan or Worthy

Ahhhhh, I get it now. As y'all continue to grow and have more donations come in the baseline could obviously change to a higher baseline but 50k is the minimum?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ahhhhh, I get it now. As y'all continue to grow and have more donations come in the baseline could obviously change to a higher baseline but 50k is the minimum?

Yep, 50k for everyone then move to basketball, then womens volleyball etc etc then come back to football at 100k

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm assuming the huge deal is the official IRS approval for the 501c3?

Yep, first to do so. Absolutely monstorous!

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Yep. I also would like to think that there might be a place for a school as big and successful as UT that espouses egalitarian and liberal ethos to find some people that would fund lesser focused upon programs in a baseline way that would give us fundamental competitive advantages, but if it doesn’t happen I’m not going to lose sleep over it. 

Yall  are doing great work. Thanks so much. Your vision and willingness to work toward it is so cool. When we met and I was talking about 50k for one off type stuff and it became apparent I was 2 zeros short, at a minimum I knew I was out. Daunting. But y’all grabbed the bull by the horns and got it done. Just awesome man. Congrats. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It's all @Sbbruin 's fault...  😋

The NIL revolution began in California's state assembly. Now that group is considering an even larger change to the college athletics business model.

The California legislature is working on another bill that could change college sports

ZACH BARNETT      2 HOURS AGO

The group that changed college sports forever is back at it again.  The California State Assembly is in the process of considering SB-1401, which would go a step beyond the NIL wave that started within the assembly's chambers.

Whereas NIL laws prevent universities from barring their athletes from collecting money, this would require universities to pay them. SB-1401 would require California universities to set up a revenue sharing system within sports that generate more than twice as much money as they spend on athletic scholarships. 

For example, UCLA football brought in $41.3 million in operating revenue in 2019. Half of that figure is $20.65 million. If UCLA spent less than $20.65 million on football scholarships (which it did; $20.65 million divided by 85 would be nearly a quarter million bucks per scholarship), then the Bruins would have to share a portion of their football-specific revenue with their players. 

On Tuesday, SB-1401 moved to the next step of the legislative process.

The actual formula determining how the financials would be calculated and then divided is still a work in progress, according to Sportico. 

Sportico also provided this back-of-the-napkin calculation: 

The head-count sports that would currently qualify for revenue-sharing under the statute’s provisions are football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. Based on 2018 financial figures schools provided to the U.S. Department of Education, the legislation would have worked out to FBS football players in California earning, on average, $132,000 per year in addition to the price of their grant-in-aid, while men’s basketball players would receive an extra $107,000 and women’s basketball players would get $15,000 more annually.

Remember, the NIL grass fire that eventually engulfed the entire college sports industry began in California. The bill that eventually became the Fair Pay to Play Act, which aimed to bar California's universities from preventing their athletes from profiting off their status as college athletes (which we now shorthand as NIL), was first introduced on Feb. 4, 2019, with a target date of Jan. 1, 2023. We're still more than seven months from that date, and college sports has already changed irreversibly. 

And now even more seismic changes could be on the way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That seems like it would also completely fuck public schools while the private schools can hide behind their privacy bullshit.

Exactly.  They think nothing through to its logical conclusion.

lol predictable Baylor is predictable..school that owes all of the success of the past season to the Transfer Portal comes out against it because now they can't get the NIL support to be a factor

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

This will be fun. 

NIL agent says Miami hoops star Isaiah Wong will enter transfer portal if NIL compensation isn't increased

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased

Spoiler

NIL agent says Miami hoops star Isaiah Wong will enter transfer portal if NIL compensation isn't increased

11:25 AM JST

Jonathan GivonyJeff Borzello

Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent Adam Papas of NEXT Sports Agency told ESPN on Thursday.

"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Papas said.

Wong, a two-time ACC All-Conference player and the second-leading scorer on a Hurricanes team that reached the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight, declared for the draft earlier this week.

"Isaiah would like to stay at Miami," Papas said. "He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team."

Florida state law doesn't permit schools from being involved in NIL deals, and according to a Miami spokesperson, due to state law, it doesn't discuss or comment on NIL-specific deals. Papas confirmed to ESPN he isn't speaking directly with the Hurricanes' coaching staff.

Papas says he recently negotiated an NIL deal for Kansas State transfer Nijel Pack that included $800,000 over two years plus a car. Pack was considered the No. 1 player in the transfer portal before committing to Miami. The deal was funded by billionaire John Ruiz, who has been at the forefront of the NIL movement, orchestrating deals across several sports. Among them include deals with women's college basketball star twins Haley and Hanna Cavinder-- who transferred from Fresno State to Miami -- and UCLA football transfers Caleb Johnson and Mitchell Agude.

Ruiz has 111 deals signed or pending with Miami Hurricane athletes to promote his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing, according to a report in the Miami Herald on Wednesday.

"It's a unique situation just completing Nijel Pack's deal with Miami," said Papas, who also represents Miami power forward Jordan Walker and South Dakota State star Baylor Scheierman for their NIL deals. "Understanding what John Ruiz is trying to do with the NIL space and the city of Miami, we feel the value of Isaiah Wong should meet or exceed the value of an incoming transfer."

Ruiz confirmed his knowledge of Wong's dissatisfaction with his NIL compensation.

"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say is that he was treated very fairly."

Ruiz is at the forefront of a frenetic moment in the world of college sports, as the lack of clear NCAA guidelines has created a significant amount of uncertainty regarding what is permitted in the NIL space and what isn't. Question marks remain around what this new, unregulated market can sustain among schools with huge fanbases and rich alumni compared with those who don't, or with those who have yet to dip their toes in the NIL waters.

The deadline to enter the transfer portal and still be eligible to play next season is May 1, and a flurry of elite college basketball players have entered or say they plan to enter the transfer portal this week. Many of the biggest college sports programs in America have been boosted in recent months by NIL collectives, groups of fans with varying budgets designed to funnel money to current or future athletes in exchange for monetizing their brands through endorsement deals, appearance fees, social media posts, autograph signings and more.

16 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

This will be fun. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased

Reveal hidden contents

11:25 AM JST

Jonathan GivonyJeff Borzello

Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent Adam Papas of NEXT Sports Agency told ESPN on Thursday.

"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Papas said.

Wong, a two-time ACC All-Conference player and the second-leading scorer on a Hurricanes team that reached the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight, declared for the draft earlier this week.

"Isaiah would like to stay at Miami," Papas said. "He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team."

Florida state law doesn't permit schools from being involved in NIL deals, and according to a Miami spokesperson, due to state law, it doesn't discuss or comment on NIL-specific deals. Papas confirmed to ESPN he isn't speaking directly with the Hurricanes' coaching staff.

Papas says he recently negotiated an NIL deal for Kansas State transfer Nijel Pack that included $800,000 over two years plus a car. Pack was considered the No. 1 player in the transfer portal before committing to Miami. The deal was funded by billionaire John Ruiz, who has been at the forefront of the NIL movement, orchestrating deals across several sports. Among them include deals with women's college basketball star twins Haley and Hanna Cavinder-- who transferred from Fresno State to Miami -- and UCLA football transfers Caleb Johnson and Mitchell Agude.

Ruiz has 111 deals signed or pending with Miami Hurricane athletes to promote his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing, according to a report in the Miami Herald on Wednesday.

"It's a unique situation just completing Nijel Pack's deal with Miami," said Papas, who also represents Miami power forward Jordan Walker and South Dakota State star Baylor Scheierman for their NIL deals. "Understanding what John Ruiz is trying to do with the NIL space and the city of Miami, we feel the value of Isaiah Wong should meet or exceed the value of an incoming transfer."

Ruiz confirmed his knowledge of Wong's dissatisfaction with his NIL compensation.

"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say is that he was treated very fairly."

Ruiz is at the forefront of a frenetic moment in the world of college sports, as the lack of clear NCAA guidelines has created a significant amount of uncertainty regarding what is permitted in the NIL space and what isn't. Question marks remain around what this new, unregulated market can sustain among schools with huge fanbases and rich alumni compared with those who don't, or with those who have yet to dip their toes in the NIL waters.

The deadline to enter the transfer portal and still be eligible to play next season is May 1, and a flurry of elite college basketball players have entered or say they plan to enter the transfer portal this week. Many of the biggest college sports programs in America have been boosted in recent months by NIL collectives, groups of fans with varying budgets designed to funnel money to current or future athletes in exchange for monetizing their brands through endorsement deals, appearance fees, social media posts, autograph signings and more.

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

Regarding Addison rumors from Pitt to USC:

I think the NCAA has maybe till next spring to figure out NIL or its going to blow itself up. I know I won't care a lick if its just a matter of which team can buy the best players outright without cap or anything other than money on the table. All the take of "it's been going on for ages" I get, but it's not like people liked that either.

This claim is a stretch but it will probably be pretty close. Last year's 52nd pick got barely more than $2 million just as a signing bonus, total contract was near $7 million.

Surly copy cats

Edited by pacman

Captain Obvious here, but the reality of what’s happening right now with recruiting the best high school and transfer players doesn’t fit the intent of NIL at all. The deals are not really being done to pay for use of name recognition in order to get commercial benefit.  The pay is for play.  The NIL wrapper is a sham and its value is not being determined by any realistic appearance fee or endorsement market.  The market being created is based solely on expected football skill.  So, we have this Frankenstein system that is stratified with over the table bags at the top, collectives in the middle, and business as usual scholarships at the bottom.  

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Captain Obvious here, but the reality of what’s happening right now with recruiting the best high school and transfer players doesn’t fit the intent of NIL at all. The deals are not really being done to pay for use of name recognition in order to get commercial benefit.  The pay is for play.  The NIL wrapper is a sham and its value is not being determined by any realistic appearance fee or endorsement market.  The market being created is based solely on expected football skill.  So, we have this Frankenstein system that is stratified with over the table bags at the top, collectives in the middle, and business as usual scholarships at the bottom.  

It was always going to be pay for play. Adapt or die. No good in bitching about it. 

39 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What did you think was going to happen? You think the NCAA fought this tooth and nail all these years - that no athlete could get any kind of income regardless of merit - because they're cruel and inhumane? The NCAA made Jeremy Bloom ineligible for football for accepting endorsement money for skiing back in 2003 - never mind he was legitimately one of the best skiiers in the world. Why did they do this? Because there was no way to enforce whether NIL money came from a legitimate business interest in getting the student athlete's endorsement, or a pay for play donation so that the player would play for an alum's favorite school. 

This is exactly what was going to happen the entire time once NIL was allowed.

I love all the people talking about how the NCAA rearranged deck chairs when they should have been preparing for this. Preparing for it how, exactly? How in the world do you put rules in place that limits NIL contributions in some way without running into legal issues? The only organization that can do something like that is the US Congress, and then you have the Department of Justice/FBI enforcing it.

The funny thing is we're only at the start. There's going to be a hockey stick growth in how much players get paid. People are stunned at the numbers being thrown around right now, but that's nothing compared to what's coming. There's no cap. There's no way to measure how much players are getting paid. There's no limit to the amount of people whose egos are defined by getting the top players to come to their favorite school and win at the highest level. 

Oh, and there's about to be another escalation in the amount of money being thrown at college sports, too. The power conferences are going to exit the NCAA, they're going to take the NCAA tournament with them (same format, but different payout distribution). They're going to split off the various sports instead of selling them as one big package, so women's basketball, volleyball, baseball and softball will get their own deals. And there will be a 16 team college football playoff among around 60 schools that's going to generate a ridiculous amount of revenue.

The real issue isn't NIL. It's massive revenue generating enterprises being run out of the heart of institutions whose purpose is to educate people. As long as that cognitive dissonance exists - and that's not even remotely close to going away - there's no good solution to any of it, other than mo money, mo money, mo money.

• Hook 'Em 5

49 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

the denominator is much less than 85. 

Much less? I was thinking it would be a bit more as you also need to take care of your preferred walk-ons if you want to have a solid program. They wouldn't be much, but it would have an effect. For instance, right now we have two walk-on kickers and (gulp) some ex-walk-ons that will play a lot on defense.

Edited by Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Much less? I was thinking it would be a bit more as you also need to take care of your preferred walk-ons if you want to have a solid program. They wouldn't be much, but it would have an effect. For instance, right now we have two walk-on kickers and (gulp) some ex-walk-ons that will play a lot on defense.

The bread at the bottom of the roster doesn’t matter at all. With open season in the portal  it’s not like you need to have 4 deep on the scholarship. You go ahead and fill roster bikes in the portal and pay the top 25-40 guys on the roster. Everyone else gets paid in noteriety and swag and pussy. At least, that’s how it would be if I was managing the payroll. 

9 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Five star like recruits win games. They mask your weaknesses Everything else is a crapshoot in evaluation.