NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

DT from TFB on NIL

Spoiler

The first round of the NIL era in College Football has gone about how we all expected it to.

You had one program completely overdo it in order to land what is *on paper* a silly recruiting class. The result of that is other financially-empowered P5 programs throwing all caution to the wind.

You all know about the Jahdae Barron episode at this point. It wasn’t reported as legitimate, but there was a similar recent situation with Xavier Worthy as well. Texas Head Coach Steve Sarkisian has been traveling all week as discussions are being held across the country on how the NCAA can attempt to put some type of parameters around this whole deal.

I have learned some very interesting information when it comes to this whole NIL situation: All NIL deals are not created equally and I’m not talking about just dollar amounts.

Some football players that are already in college have legal representation (agents). The guys with track records of performance that are in the Transfer Portal are going to be fine for the most part. What we have been seeing is these young men being contacted through back channels and then using their agents or handlers to let the coaching staff know that this is what they’re being offered and they can either meet or not meet at the man and the young man will either stay or enter the portal.

Well, student athletes that are still in high school do not have agents. This means that the young man is on his own, along with his parents and or guardian(s), to read through and decipher the fine print on some of these in NIL deals.

What I have learned is that a decent amount of these NIL deals that we have been seeing reported are actually loans from businessmen that are being given out to the student athletes and will at some point have to be paid back. That means these young kids coming out of high school are signing the equivalent of a 360-music deal.

There are instances of young men agreeing to lifetime NIL deals that will bleed into their professional careers (if the NFL is a real option). If/when they make it pro, they will be expected to pay that money back and then some. In the instances of players not meeting expectations or attempting to transfer, well, they will still be required to repay those loans that they agreed to.

The schools are clean in this deal because from their standpoint, these NIL deals are being crafted by entities that are separate from the programs. The 50k we’ve seen Oklahoma and Texas publicly promote? That is those programs making it loud and clear that 50k is what their involvement is. Anything that comes or goes outside of that is not of their concern. I don’t think that ya’ll need me to explain what type of hole financially that this hypothetical (not really) situation is going to put some kids and families in.

There are meetings as you read this by NCAA governing bodies to try to put some type of cap on this thing. What will end up happening is the schools paying a flat, uniform fee, in my opinion with a rule being in place that a certain amount cannot be exceeded by Power 5 programs. The trade-off for this agreement could possibly be the elimination of the 25-player limit per recruiting class with the 85-man limit still remaining.

Q in the comments: So you’re telling me that these ATM deals for these kids are actually loans? That is actually astonishing…. I could see this whole thing blowing up all over their face if this is true and comes to light.
A: Some of them

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I had two conversations today that have me really scratching my head. Our NIL compliance stuff has taken a quick shift towards being more stringent. Stuff that simply doesn’t make sense, they’re literally turning money away if it doesn’t come from specific programs. 

The only thing that makes sense to me is something big is in the works or on the horizon. Maybe we are clamping down because we know major changes are coming to the whole system, and we don’t want to be actively engaged in something we know is actually about to get regulated. That’s just a guess though. 

well there it is

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

This is hilarious. 

First, you can pay a player basically however much you want once he's already in the fold. That's an issue because the enticement is there. Tampering with players from other teams and implying incentives to high school athletes is still very much a reality. 

Second, enforcement of this is going to be a bitch. Basically, if a program doesn't want to comply, it's going to be very difficult for the NCAA to say they're not complying. So they'll basically depend on the programs themselves to enforce this thing by turning themselves in because of rogue boosters, while making the boosters excommunicado John Wick style. Which of course gives a competitive advantage to the schools which figure out a way to skirt the rules. 

It's going to be impossible for the NCAA or any other governing body set up by the colleges themselves to make and enforce rules...to actually enforce them regarding NIL. 

If anyone thinks any of this is going to get NIL "under control" they're kidding themselves. 

It's all such a clusterfuck. 

I can hardly wait to see which schools are used to make an example, and how it goes completely off the rails. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Ill said:

DT from TFB on NIL

Q in the comments: So you’re telling me that these ATM deals for these kids are actually loans? That is actually astonishing…. I could see this whole thing blowing up all over their face if this is true and comes to light.
A: Some of them

This makes very little sense on multiple levels.

(1) Without a federal exemption, any type of agreement to arbitrarily cap player earnings will run into the same antitrust issues as before.  This goes down a rabbit hole quickly.  If EA sports pays a royalty to all athletes to use their likeness in the new video game, wouldn’t that bust the cap?  The ability to legally prohibit the rights of third parties to contract is extremely limited, and I’m not sure what ground they will try to stand on to do so. 

(2) At the end of the day, the NCAA is going to have to prove that it is actually willing to go to the mat to enforce these rulings and pay the litigation costs for each instance some ornery booster takes them to court.  If they wouldn’t do it for the blatant bag violations over the past decade, why should we think that they would be willing to do it now?

(3) I’m sure our administration will nonetheless find a way to make this more difficult than it needs to be, until enough alumni and donors make enough noise to force change.  Would love to see the AD staff restructured to support these initiatives, or at the very least take those expenses and increase professor salaries.

Edited by Professor Chesney
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bobby:

As the NCAA attempts to put guardrails on portal recruiting and/or some limitations in luring high school recruits with NIL offerings, my feeling is they are missing the entire point.

It’s just once again the NCAA trying too hard to put the Genie back in the bottle.

The problem is, and what some college administrators don’t seem to understand, no college football program anywhere took the NIL Genie out of the bottle.

The United States Supreme Court did!

The Genie is not going back in, not without major federal reform. Anything short of that is a farce.

So the sport doesn’t need “a reminder of the guardrails” as some NCAA leaders have squawked this week at a meeting in Scottsdale, what it needs is an overhaul. It needs leadership and system of fair play.

If the NCAA doesn’t like the subverted outcome of NIL, the NCAA and those schools who want to should embrace pay-for-play. It’s clear that is the reality of the world. It is why NIL has taken off.

I say it is what it is, so accept it, and create a governing body worthy of the sport.

Otherwise, the sport isn’t moving forward. The sport we love is sinking. Until the leaders realize and address the real issues, they’re just reshuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

This is hilarious. 

First, you can pay a player basically however much you want once he's already in the fold. That's an issue because the enticement is there. Tampering with players from other teams and implying incentives to high school athletes is still very much a reality. 

Second, enforcement of this is going to be a bitch. Basically, if a program doesn't want to comply, it's going to be very difficult for the NCAA to say they're not complying. So they'll basically depend on the programs themselves to enforce this thing by turning themselves in because of rogue boosters, while making the boosters excommunicado John Wick style. Which of course gives a competitive advantage to the schools which figure out a way to skirt the rules. 

It's going to be impossible for the NCAA or any other governing body set up by the colleges themselves to make and enforce rules...to actually enforce them regarding NIL. 

If anyone thinks any of this is going to get NIL "under control" they're kidding themselves. 

It's all such a clusterfuck. 

I can hardly wait to see which schools are used to make an example, and how it goes completely off the rails. 

Second Paragraph: Our program would be the school to do that lol. 

regarding your 3rd point, any attempt to limit, divert, or etc will just get tied up in court as trying to control the market and limit the athlete. 

Agree completely, this is out of the bottle as Bobby said. Only thing I could see is if there is a breakaway from NCAA and the new league creates its own rules but players in that league would need to unionize and a collective bargaining agreement put in place. For the next 3-5 years the current model will be reality if not longer. 

On3 Article about PAC and SEC commissioner meeting with government:

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff spent his day alongside SEC commissioner Greg Sankey in Washington, D.C., to meet with congressional leaders about the state of NIL. Afterward, he released a statement on how things went.

Kliavkoff and Sankey met with Senators Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) Thursday to lobby for federal NIL legislation. Kliavkoff said he was grateful for the opportunity to talk about things and it sounds like conversations will continue about the subject.

“The Pac-12 greatly appreciates the opportunity to engage in productive conversations with US senators in an effort to create NIL legislation that protects our student-athletes while allowing them to maximize their opportunities,” Kliavkoff stated. “At the same time, we had the opportunity to discuss the very serious negative implications for student-athletes should they be classified as employees. We look forward to continuing this dialogue along with our friends from the SEC and other leaders in college sports.”

More on Greg Sankey, George Kliavkoff’s trip to Washington, D.C.

The two commissioners met with leadership Thursday, and Sankey also released a statement afterward about how things went.

“I appreciate today’s opportunity fo conversation and dialogue with members of Congress,” Sankey said. “As we have observed activity emerge that is very different from original ideas around, Name, Image, and Likeness, it is important we continue to pursue NIL structure to support the thousands of opportunities made available for young people through intercollegiate athletics programs across the country.”

In addition, a Senate aide offered their thoughts to Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger. They provided some details about the meeting between Kliavkoff and Sankey with Sens. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) and Maria Cantell (D-Wash.)

“[The] main takeaway was Congress needs to enact a uniform NIL law that empowers athletes to have NIL rights, establishes safeguards to protect them in NIL market & preserve amateurism in college sports,” the aide said.

The problem, Dellenger wrote, is that federal NIL legislation might not come very quickly. He said “many believe it’s a longshot” to happen this year. Still, there’s a big push for reform regarding NIL and the power the NCAA has. Thursday night, Dellenger reported multiple college leaders, led by Colorado athletic director Rick George, are pushing for new NIL guidance and potential retroactive punishments for recruiting violations.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Second Paragraph: Our program would be the school to do that lol. 

regarding your 3rd point, any attempt to limit, divert, or etc will just get tied up in court as trying to control the market and limit the athlete. 

Agree completely, this is out of the bottle as Bobby said. Only thing I could see is if there is a breakaway from NCAA and the new league creates its own rules but players in that league would need to unionize and a collective bargaining agreement put in place. For the next 3-5 years the current model will be reality if not longer. 

People keep talking about unionizing and collective bargaining, but I don’t see that as feasible, either.

Unions work when the most valuable employees are there for the longest. You don’t want a union leader leaving in a year or two. The transitory status of college athletics,  combined with the age of the people involved, then add in the fact universities aren’t really geared to deal with a unionized work force as institutions…I just don’t see how in the world it’s either accepted as a model, or even if it is, how it would actually work.

University administrators and a collection of athletes renegotiate it every 4 or 5 years? That sounds like a complete nightmare for everyone involved. 

The professional leagues don’t negotiate with this age group. They negotiate with the highest level professionals, and then the minor leagues are forced to work within the parameters of the same CBA. You don’t see a different agreement for AA baseball or the G League. 

The numbers of athletes would be way larger. You’d have to include all sports, which have very different priorities. The most valuable players would want to maximize pay, while everyone else would naturally want more equity. Student athletes unions wouldn’t stop at negotiating NIL rules. They’d be year round coalitions that involved themselves in every aspect of the coach/player/parent relationship.

I think it’s thrown out there so much because people love the shorthand solution so they can use the NCAA as a scapegoat for the current issues and then move on to their next paragraph or story. 

And yeah, Texas would absolutely turn its boosters in. They’ll frame it as protecting athletes or playing by the rules, but what it really is, is protecting the power base of the athletic department, which has always seen putting a competitive product on the football field as a secondary consideration, outside of Tom Hicks and Don Evans being on our board of regents when Mack Brown was hired. 

I can’t say it enough, but I feel very blessed and grateful as a fan that we have talented people on this BBS who are out there doing something about all of this while I sit around typing on a keyboard with my thumb up my ass. It’s absolutely the right thing to do in my opinion, regardless of what the UT administration thinks. It’s so hard to get anything done even with the full support of a bureaucracy at the center of an endeavor. When you’re seen as the enemy, it makes things so much harder in so many ways, even when you’re doing the right thing. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

On3 Article about PAC and SEC commissioner meeting with government:

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff spent his day alongside SEC commissioner Greg Sankey in Washington, D.C., to meet with congressional leaders about the state of NIL. Afterward, he released a statement on how things went.

Kliavkoff and Sankey met with Senators Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) Thursday to lobby for federal NIL legislation. Kliavkoff said he was grateful for the opportunity to talk about things and it sounds like conversations will continue about the subject.

“The Pac-12 greatly appreciates the opportunity to engage in productive conversations with US senators in an effort to create NIL legislation that protects our student-athletes while allowing them to maximize their opportunities,” Kliavkoff stated. “At the same time, we had the opportunity to discuss the very serious negative implications for student-athletes should they be classified as employees. We look forward to continuing this dialogue along with our friends from the SEC and other leaders in college sports.”

More on Greg Sankey, George Kliavkoff’s trip to Washington, D.C.

The two commissioners met with leadership Thursday, and Sankey also released a statement afterward about how things went.

“I appreciate today’s opportunity fo conversation and dialogue with members of Congress,” Sankey said. “As we have observed activity emerge that is very different from original ideas around, Name, Image, and Likeness, it is important we continue to pursue NIL structure to support the thousands of opportunities made available for young people through intercollegiate athletics programs across the country.”

In addition, a Senate aide offered their thoughts to Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger. They provided some details about the meeting between Kliavkoff and Sankey with Sens. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) and Maria Cantell (D-Wash.)

“[The] main takeaway was Congress needs to enact a uniform NIL law that empowers athletes to have NIL rights, establishes safeguards to protect them in NIL market & preserve amateurism in college sports,” the aide said.

The problem, Dellenger wrote, is that federal NIL legislation might not come very quickly. He said “many believe it’s a longshot” to happen this year. Still, there’s a big push for reform regarding NIL and the power the NCAA has. Thursday night, Dellenger reported multiple college leaders, led by Colorado athletic director Rick George, are pushing for new NIL guidance and potential retroactive punishments for recruiting violations.

The problem with Congressional legislation is who enforces it? I absolutely agree that any cohesive NIL policy HAS to come from Congress. I’ve also said it’s unrealistic. Congress is so polarized about EVERYTHING, in very purposeful ways that’s isn’t only not going to change, it’s going to continue getting worse as the forces at play in terms of changing demographics, the echo chambers of social media, and our inherent tribal instincts continue to spiral things downward. 

The Supreme Court is about to enter an unprecedented shit storm, which may end up with the Democrats packing the court if they have enough power eventually in both houses and the executive office. Who knows what that would bring. Frankly, college athletics would be a marginal footnote.

Eventually if there’s enough demand for Congress to act, they’re going to act in a dysfunctional way. And again, a forceful and effective enforcement requires the FBI to get involved. So we’re going to have the FBI policing college athletics? Does anyone really see that as workable? I just don’t think people really think this stuff through. They’re drowning in the ocean and they’re looking for any piece of driftwood they can find to save them. 

The REAL solutions are about unwinding college athletics as gigantic multi billion dollar businesses at the heart of educational institutions, which isn’t even remotely feasible. Anything that’s not that is grafting on these horrible Frankenstein monster solutions that aren’t actually workable because they’re trying to control market realities with too little actual control over the market. 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think a union is only possible if there is a breakaway from the NCAA. I also think leadership of said union would have to be former players but it could be a clusterfuck to navigate due to the ever changing player base. 

The breakaway from the NCAA is inevitable. The needs of schools who are willing to go all in on the multi billion dollar business model for college athletics, especially as it pertains to player payroll - whether funded by the university, third parties, or a combination of the two - is vastly different from the schools who aren’t willing to do so.

There’s going to be a lot more money available then, too, both from the men’s basketball tournament (same format, different distribution model) and a 16 team football playoff. The other sports can generate some additional revenue by breaking off from the catch all package the NCAA currently negotiates which pools all sports under one inclusive contract. 

This doesn’t solve the fundamental issues of college sports, but it does provide a lot more revenue to throw at the problem. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I’ve got a great solution. Perhaps we just eliminate all payments to players outside of a mandated consistent stipend from the school and have a governing body that actually investigates and enforces the rules. Wild thought. 

Take it up with the Supreme Court, which already lambasted the NCAA for trying to do exactly this. 

The issue with investigation and enforcement has always been about subpoena power. That’s not the NCAA’s fault. There is no way to truly compel anyone to cooperate. Therefore traditionally it’s been shown the best way to deal with NCAA investigations is to fight them tooth and nail. Both finalists in the past NCAA tournament are great examples. UNC denied doing anything wrong while blatantly abusing online course work for their best basketball players for years, while KU directly benefitted from their relationship with Adidas in attracting the most talented basketball players in the country. Meanwhile OSU cooperates and gets banned from the post season while no one involved with their transgression is affiliated with OSU in any way.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So fucking dumb. The people in power in college sports have completely earned the panic they’re in. People keep putting the blame on the NCAA. I think the smartest thing the NCAA ever did was just say peace out on NIL. “We’ve fought this shit with every resource we’ve had available and got our pants dragged to our ankles by the Supreme Court. Y’all figure it out.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

At least the nfl has a salary cap

Not only do professional leagues have some form of compensation caps, but they also have transparency regarding the amount paid, and of course the payments are directly from the organization to the player. 

The lack of transparency is arguably more dysfunctional to reasonable market policies than the lack of a cap. 

If there was some form of full disclosure regarding NIL deals it would be tremendously helpful in a myriad of ways. I’d argue that’s the number one thing the college powers should be working on. Start requiring compliance offices to publish to a publicly accessible database every NIL deal that they approve, and any NIL deal not run by a compliance office first, risks losing the athlete’s eligibility. 

I can’t imagine they’d agree to that, because they’ll want to hold that information tightly. But that’s the most important thing so that everyone can get their heads wrapped around what we’re actually dealing with, rather than a combination of ad hoc announcements and hearsay. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The NCAA can squawk all they want but all of this ultimately comes down to enforcement. Everyone in the sport knows ATM broke the current rules, yet nothing is done about it because the NCAA can't get hard evidence. How do these new guidelines change that? They don't. It was already illegal. Schools like ATM will still proceed the same way under the table and just wait to sign the official deal when the player enrolls.

Agree with others that there needs to be some kind of salary cap but it still comes back to enforcement. The NFL is actually able to enforce their salary cap. Idk for sure but I'm pretty sure they have the ability to pull private records (ie Tom Brady's cell phone that he destroyed). If Jerry Jones tried to pay someone an extra million under the table, it would likely end up in disaster for him. In college, there are too many boosters, uncles, trainers, etc willing to find under the table avenues of paying extra money, and no one has the power/ability to dig into private records to get evidence. Even if there's a salary cap, people will just cheat to surpass it.

So yeah, the only way this ever changes is if the schools grant the governing body, whether the NCAA or a breakaway, a lot more powers for enforcement.

24 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Not only do professional leagues have some form of compensation caps, but they also have transparency regarding the amount paid, and of course the payments are directly from the organization to the player. 

The lack of transparency is arguably more dysfunctional to reasonable market policies than the lack of a cap. 

If there was some form of full disclosure regarding NIL deals it would be tremendously helpful in a myriad of ways. I’d argue that’s the number one thing the college powers should be working on. Start requiring compliance offices to publish to a publicly accessible database every NIL deal that they approve, and any NIL deal not run by a compliance office first, risks losing the athlete’s eligibility. 

I can’t imagine they’d agree to that, because they’ll want to hold that information tightly. But that’s the most important thing so that everyone can get their heads wrapped around what we’re actually dealing with, rather than a combination of ad hoc announcements and hearsay. 

On the horizon, Guys making 3 million per year vs guys making 50K.  Also, you better bet coaches will be much quicker to cutting players when they're being paid.

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The NCAA can squawk all they want but all of this ultimately comes down to enforcement. Everyone in the sport knows ATM broke the current rules, yet nothing is done about it because the NCAA can't get hard evidence. How do these new guidelines change that? They don't. It was already illegal. Schools like ATM will still proceed the same way under the table and just wait to sign the official deal when the player enrolls.

Agree with others that there needs to be some kind of salary cap but it still comes back to enforcement. The NFL is actually able to enforce their salary cap. Idk for sure but I'm pretty sure they have the ability to pull private records (ie Tom Brady's cell phone that he destroyed). If Jerry Jones tried to pay someone an extra million under the table, it would likely end up in disaster for him. In college, there are too many boosters, uncles, trainers, etc willing to find under the table avenues of paying extra money, and no one has the power/ability to dig into private records to get evidence. Even if there's a salary cap, people will just cheat to surpass it.

So yeah, the only way this ever changes is if the schools grant the governing body, whether the NCAA or a breakaway, a lot more powers for enforcement.

The NFL has a salary cap negotiated through collective bargaining on the amounts NFL teams pay their players. 

There’s no cap on any NFL player’s ability to negotiate NIL deals. 

What you’re proposing can’t be legally done regardless of what kind of need you or anyone else sees for it. 

People can whine about A&M abusing the NIL situation to sign a record recruiting class. I’m going to whine about why we’re not doing the same kinds of things, and if we’re not, why are we going to be playing on the same field with schools that will? 

There will never be a way to effectively enforce this. None of the solutions are feasible, reasonable, or involve institutions with the power to be effective. 

The heroes in this whole mess are the UT fans who are putting in a ridiculous amount of effort to make Texas as competitive in this environment as possible. The villains are any forces at work trying to prevent that. Especially the people getting paid 6 and 7 digit annual salaries to be employed in the athletic department but foolishly thinking they can control market forces when the Supreme Court has given them the middle finger to do so.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

The heroes in this whole mess are the UT fans who are putting in a ridiculous amount of effort to make Texas as competitive in this environment as possible. The villains are any forces at work trying to prevent that. Especially the people getting paid 6 and 7 digit annual salaries to be employed in the athletic department but foolishly thinking they can control market forces when the Supreme Court has given them the middle finger to do so.

Winner Winner Win GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

31 minutes ago, Prime said:

This moron is talking about legal challenges not being easy. 

How about proving and enforcing inducements to enroll? The only way to make that work is some kind of honor system. "Hey, our guys did offer inducements to enroll, we deserve to be punished."

What form is "scrutiny" going to take? How in the world are they going to gather any evidence? How many national championships will a program win in the meantime? 

Look, if the college administrators want to act like this is some kind of big thing, go right ahead. But the rest of us know how ineffectual this is going to be. 

Let's see who is made an example of, and how effective they are in doing it. I'm not holding my breath.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

“The Pac-12 greatly appreciates the opportunity to engage in productive conversations with US senators in an effort to create NIL legislation that protects our student-athletes while allowing them to maximize their opportunities,” Kliavkoff stated.

This sorry motherfucker is brandfuckingnew yet already has the mythology down.

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think a union is only possible if there is a breakaway from the NCAA. I also think leadership of said union would have to be former players but it could be a clusterfuck to navigate due to the ever changing player base. 

Why would players want to unionize?  And how's that going to work in Right-to-Work states like Texas?