Tell me about the Go-go

Tex Long

Much has been said/written about Coach Marion's Go-go offense. There seem to be some very interesting wrinkles in it that look at first glance to be right up Texas' alley, starting with an abundance of good, fast RBs to deploy in the scheme, as well as what we think is a ditto in the receivers room.

How do you see it as a possibility for us to use, either sparingly or full-bore? Or not at all, for that matter?

This is a Fly/Go route. 

image.png.6bf50976e1c305f04b5c15eac08eb975.png

Obviously Go Go runs double Go routes all the time. It will look a little something like this. 

image.thumb.png.4f8a4b8dd994ed2a87489a4e188cf705.png

It's going to be a bold strategy to see us only run 8 players out on offense, but we've definitely seen worse Texas offensive strategies. 

Edited by Pods
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Wake me up first…

EDIT - I realize that, in context, “Wake Me Up” probably meant “Pound Me In The Ass” (NTTAWWT), but my lame-ass old reference still stands. Or maybe it’s on all fours…

You are correct. I believe the original version was called "Backdoor Baby" as homage to S. Hunter Thompson.

Always liked them on the little bit thick side so some Belinda Carlisle please 

Don’t want to rain on your parade, but this is not the Belinda Carlisle offense. Hell, not even the Bangles offense (not the NFL either for the older olds).

Go-Go’s 1,1,1,1,1
Belinda Carlisle 1
Bangles 1,1,1,1

And, would! Any and all of them, for the official Surly record!
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, General Specific said:

Don’t want to rain on your parade, but this is not the Belinda Carlisle offense. Hell, not even the Bangles offense (not the NFL either for the older olds).

Go-Go’s 1,1,1,1,1
Belinda Carlisle 1
Bangles 1,1,1,1

And, would! Any and all of them, for the official Surly record!

Shit, now you've done it.  You just sent out the Brisket signal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rholl said:

wait.... are we gonna run the HC  offense? The WR coach offense?   Or has there been a magical mesh in 2 months?

This is my concern, Dude.

FTR, i am happy to call it the Mashed Wishbone... or maybe Mashbone. You can see some mighty fine band names lurking in there... Gobone, Bone'n'Go...

Before they hit the mainstream with Our Lips are Sealed, the Go-Go’s had a much edgier, hard driving punk sound from the L.A. Club scene. Check out the Return to the Valley of the Go-Go’s on Spotify if you like that kind of thing. 

Ah, L.A. Clubs. Any love for The Motels, Kim Carnes? Yeah yeah, early 80s new wave, but that voice, oh my!

It seems like Bijan, RoJo, and X would rain havoc on defenses with Go-go plays, with another set of RBs and another 2 or 3 WRs still to be deployed, along with some actual TEs.

I'm wondering if any news has escaped from the depths of the staffers, regarding the ways in which Marion can/will influence the offense. I'm sort of thinking we'll see a lot of 20 and 21 personnel with a lot of formations. He usually has both RBs on one side of the QB, and they can be side-by-side or stacked, and on the same or opposite side as the HB/slot/TE. Plenty of opportunities to sow confusion in the opposing D.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Seems like this guys offense depends on a QB that can run.  Not sure Sark will go for it.  

Yeah, unless we run it out of the Wildcat.  I could see some trick go-go plays or a go-go package with Roshon as a Wildcat QB.  

Edited by bejezuz

41 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Seems like this guys offense depends on a QB that can run.  Not sure Sark will go for it.  

I watched some Wm & Mary and Pitt clips of Go-Go, and QB carrying the ball didn't look all that frequent. Maybe it's still too much for Sark, but it seems like the QB is considerably more likely to throw than run. The RB set makes the D decide whether to show a balanced look or to shade to the 2-back side, and the QB reads that pre-snap. Ewers is said to be dual-threat, so Sark could let him run, particularly if we do, in fact, use some of Marion's triple option series, but just enough that opponents absolutely must account for him.

20 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

From what I’ve seen. It’s somewhat of a secret formation.

Overload the defense on one side, burn them one-on-one on the other.   Mississippi valley state averaged over 40 points with this offense 

Howard had a pretty good win over UNLV their first year with Marion. Probably one of the all-time reversals, a 45-point dog not just covering, but winning outright. Not sure how the rest of the year went for them. Marion said his goal was to combine triple option with high-tempo spread. The various videos are cool, but I haven't seen much info on the player talent.