It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Gil Bang

I watch it at least once a year.

FYI, there's a much longer version on the Criterion Collection Blu Ray (197 minutes long).  The original movie was 202 minutes, and it was cut to 154 for general distribution.  That version (202 minutes) is lost forever.  The 197 minute version does a good job of tying up some loose ends in the shorter version, but its pieced together:  some clips have foreign subtitles, some are with a still photo (with the audio playing), etc.  This page at IMDB explains it better:

Spoiler
The original roadshow presentation, including overture, entr'acte, and exit music, ran 202 minutes. Using most of the footage included in the extended version released in 1991 on VHS and laserdisc, as well as newly found footage (some with foreign subtitles or without audio), still photos or additional audio (such as the police calls run during the intermission), the 197-minute reconstruction by film preservationist Robert Harris (included in the 2014 Criterion blu-ray release) is the closest rendition of the original roadshow release that we are ever likely to see. About 5 minutes of roadshow material in any format (live action footage, still photos, or audio) remains lost, presumably forever. 

The following is a comparison of the general release cut (GRC) and the Criterion extended reconstruction (CER) (both available in the Criterion box set): The following scenes are extended on the CER. I'll post where exactly on the GRC the scene would have been placed. That's to say, where the scene ends, and what was extended before or after it. (The time includes the 11-second Criterion logo, the 10-second MGM lion, overture, the opening titles, part 1, intermission/entr'acte, part 2, and exit music) Part 1 

• 2:57 - opening credits include a reference to Cinerama; no time difference.
  • 0:14:22 - More of the 5 explaining to Norman Fell about how Smiley thought Melville Crump was his Aunt Belle. 13 seconds, after time.
  • 0:25:01 - Extra Culpepper line to cop car. Melville calls Durante a screwball. 8 seconds, after time.
  • 0:27:07 - Extended money talk between the eight, ending in a big argument. Extra police talk, when the officer returns Culpepper's flat hat. 55 seconds and 1 minute 37 seconds, after time.
  • 0:27:39 - Extra lines with Aloysius and Culpepper. Cut to the eight other leads ending their bickering. 20 seconds, after time.
  • 0:34:56 - Extra car chasing scenes, and Aloysius loses his bet to Culpepper. 45 seconds, after time.
  • 0:36:36 - Merman threatens to sue Pike for crashing into her car. Pike remembers that he has a bicycle in the back of his truck. 26 seconds, after time. Also, the scene where Melville brokers a deal with the owner of the plane before Dingy and Benjy could get to it (fifty-seven seconds) has been moved slightly earlier.
  • 0:37:21 - Benjy and Dingy pass up a stranded Russell, Mrs. Marcus, and Emmeline despite their calls for help. Emmeline presumes they are going to the police. Extra police talk, followed by a shot of Pike on his bike. Only exists in audio form with stills. 58 seconds, after time.
  • 0:40:30 - After the car drives away, Pike looks sad, and continues riding the girl's bike. The Crumps see the junk heap the guy calls a plane. 16 seconds and 43 seconds, after time.
  • 0:41:36- At the garage, Russell tells Hawthorne about the plan, and he's in. 23 seconds, after time. Also, the 50-second scene preceding it, in which Mrs. Marcus insists that Hawthorne only gets 10%, was moved to a later spot, which makes sense since they cut out the Russell/Hawthorne scene that followed it.
  • 0:43:14 - Extra footage of the Crumps' plane taking off. 5 seconds, after time.
  • 0:43:55 - A helicopter following the Crumps' plane. 21 seconds, after time.
  • 0:46:02 - Extended conversation between Aloysius and Culpepper about the latter's pensions. 29 seconds, after time.
  • 0:48:25 - A short scene where Meyer asks Ray why they didn't move their garage closer to the city. 5 seconds, before time.
  • 0:50:06 - After Meyer drives away and Pike is knocked unconscious, Irwin tells Ray to hit him again. 12 seconds, after time.
  • 0:54:48 - More garage fight, with the police commenting on it. Ray and Irwin getting the barbell before yelling "Charge!" 10 seconds, before time.
  • 0:56:12 - The cops check the garage, find Ray and Irwin still alive. 34 seconds, after time.
  • 0:57:50 - Russell saying they're wasting time, and Mrs. Marcus thinking he doesn't want Sylvester in on the money. 49 seconds, after time.
  • 1:01:50 - After Russell and Hawthorne up-end Mrs. Marcus to get the keys, the women are left behind and the men go. 27 seconds, after time.
  • 1:02:43 - While flying, there are a couple more problems. 10 seconds, after time.
  • 1:05:08 - After picking up the farmer, there's a conversation between Meyer and him, in which the farmer forces Meyer to drive on. 52 seconds, after time.
  • 1:05:53 - Upon finding Mrs. Marcus and Emmeline, Pike lets them in, after he gets assurance that Sylvester is in Santa Rosita. Russell and Hawthorne are at a gas station where an attendant talks to them about their wheels. 26 seconds and 12 seconds, after time.
  • 1:06:55 - A deleted bit of Sylvester and his girlfriend dancing, followed by a scene where Pike tells Emmeline he would have used the money to get something nice for Mrs. Jenkins. 20 seconds and 1 minute 4 seconds, after time.
  • 1:07:21 - Extra shot of Pike pulling out of the gas station. 4 seconds, after time.
  • 1:08:41 - Meyer can't drive back up the hill, followed by more plane trouble. 50 seconds, after time. The scene where Benjy and Dingy find Fitzgerald in the shower (57 seconds) is moved several minutes later into the film, and contains an extra line from Dingy after Fitzgerald is knocked out. Cut to Meyer stuck again. 16 seconds, after time.
  • 1:09:40 - Extra bit when kid gets in Meyer's car. 14 seconds, after time.
  • 1:10:40 - Extra shot of Hawthorne's car driving away. 6 seconds, after time.
  • 1:12:21 - Extended bit of the Crumps running into the hardware store. 4 seconds, before time.
  • 1:16:06 - Despite his best efforts, Mel can't break down the door ("Can't you do it, Melville?" Monica asks while fixing her skirt). 37 seconds, after time.
  • 1:17:58 - The Crumps find the dynamite they use in the beginning of Part 2. 35 seconds, after time. Moved earlier, but not cut, is the scene where the Crumps try the alarm, destroy it, and Mel gets electrocuted. This was combined with the scene above, where they find the dynamite. A few seconds of footage have been added to the scene, with Monica questioning Mel about the possibility of him paying for property damage. 1 minute, 52 seconds.
  • 1:20:39 - This part was cut at this time, Sylvester crying, thinking something horrible happened to Mrs. Marcus. 6 seconds, after time.
  • 1:20:58 - Extended footage of Mrs. Marcus complaining about Sylvester. Cut to Sylvester leaving his girlfriend to save his mother. It is revealed briefly that said girlfriend is cheating on her husband. Cut again to the hardware store, with Mel lamenting about his plight, and discovering a blowtorch. The footage exists only in audio form, with stills filling in for lost visuals. The hardware scene even has stills of director Stanley Kramer and other crew members on the set. 1 minute 27 seconds, after time.
  • 1:22:42 - After the Alarm/Electrocution scene mentioned, Monica checking Mel in the paint cans. 8 seconds, before time.
  • 1:24:06 - Benjy and Dingy's plane trouble, Dingy throws water on Benjy. 24 seconds, after time.
  • 1:26:27 - Schwartz telling Culpepper his daughter's on the phone. 2 seconds, before time.
  • 1:26:41 - More of Culpepper/Billie Sue dialogue. 30 seconds, after time.
  • 1:27:48 - Mrs. Marcus, Emmeline, and Pike get into an argument. 26 seconds, after time.
  • 1:29:00 - After Mel uses the blowtorch on the door and sets it down, inadvertently kicking it towards the stairs, there is this extended bit of the stairs actually catching fire. 10 seconds, after time.
  • 1:29:29 - Russell and Hawthorne get into a fistfight. Aloysius enters Culpepper's office to announce bad news. 23 seconds and 20 seconds, after time.
  • Part 1 has a combined 20 minutes 56 seconds added in the Criterion reconstruction.

Intermission 

• 1:32:39 - Police radio calls, played during Intermission, expands on the whereabouts of the characters. 6 minutes, after time.

Part 2: 

• 1:40:40 - Air control spots Dingy and Benjy's plane near the landing base. 22 seconds, after time.
  • 1:43:29 - Police commenting on Culpepper wanting a sundae. 29 seconds, after time.
  • 1:43:40 - Dingy screaming in the plane. 7 seconds, after time.
  • 1:45:09 - Culpepper uses a pay phone to talk to Jimmy (Buster Keaton) about taking a trip to Mexico together. After hanging up, we find out that Culpepper is at a drug store eating a sundae. Only exists in audio form, with stills filling in for lost visuals. 1 minute 19 seconds, after time.
  • 1:48:44 - More Mrs. Marcus/Emmeline/Pike dialogue, Em wants to go to the cops, and something about a reward. 14 seconds, before time.
  • 1:54:01 - More Sylvester/Russell/Hawthorne fight, assurance for Sylvester the story is true, followed by them all relying on Pike and his stolen truck. A short scene where Dingy and Benjy's plane almost crashes in the tower. 1 minute 18 seconds and 14 seconds, after time.
  • 1:56:10 - The Colonel telling Dingy and Benjy to be patient, followed by getting tied up in the wires, and mentioning "Forget the Brakes!". 34 seconds, after time.
  • 2:03:08 - Extra line from Eddie "Rochester" Anderson during conversation with Peter Falk. 5 seconds, after time.
  • 2:06:27 - Monica decides to play a childish superstition to find the Big W. She spins around three times and walks straight ahead with her eyes closed. She instead trips into a park bench. Falk and Anderson witness the whole ordeal while spying on the others, as did Culpepper, who emerges from hiding after Mel and Monica leave. 1 minute 8 seconds, after time.
  • 2:17:58 - Extended conversation of Aloysius defending Culpepper to a judge on the phone. 22 seconds, after time.
  • 2:21:30 - Cab talk, Mel saying if they all stuck with the 25 share, and someone telling him to shut up. Cab talk in the other cab, Mrs. Marcus yelling followed by a "You're on my foot!". Culpepper fixes his flat hat again, then drives away. 13 seconds, 8 seconds, and 14 seconds, after time.
  • 2:29:46 - Radio call to arrest Culpepper, who hid in a taxi, then he runs into Mrs. Marcus the first time. 20 seconds, after time.
  • 2:33:07 - Mrs. Marcus yelling "Sylvester" then later "Don't push me!" when policemen try to move everyone away from the street. 5 seconds, after time.
  • 2:40:55 - Restoration credits appear during the early portion of the Exit Music. No time difference.
  • Part 2 had a combined 7 minutes 27 seconds added in the Criterion reconstruction.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

Just an amazing collection of comedic talent. Look at this cast list

The cast features Bud Abbott, Edie Adams, Gracie Allen, Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Lauren Bacall, Lucille Ball, Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Mel Brooks, Wally Brown, Carol Burnett, George Burns, Red Buttons, Sid Caesar, Alan Carney, Art Carney, Carol Channing, Imogene Coca, Tim Conway, Lou Costello, Bing Crosby, Joan Davis, Peter Falk, Judy Garland, Jackie Gleason, Buddy Hackett, Oliver Hardy, Judy Holiday, Bob Hope, Hank Jones, Don Knotts, Ernie Kovacs, Stan Laurel, Jack Lemmon, Harold Lloyd, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Walter Matthau, Groucho Marx, Ethel Merman, Zero Mostel, Donald O'Conner, Jack Paar, Dorothy Provine, Martha Raye, Carl Reiner, Debbie Reynolds, Don Rickles, Mickey Rooney, Peter Sellers, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Red Skelton, Terry Thomasand Jonathan Winters.

• Hook 'Em 2

One of my parents' favorite movies so I've seen it a bunch of times. I love it for that reason alone. Phil Silvers wasn't my favorite when I was a kid seeing it the first dozen times. But I think he's my favorite now. I *think* I recorded it on my DVR at some point so it's probably still on there. Gonna have to check it out again. It's been too long since I've watched it all the way through.

Went to the 50th anniversary showing at the Cinerama Dome in LA - the theater were the movie debuted in 1963. Really badass to see the movie in front of a live audience.

تويتر \ Vintage Los Angeles على تويتر: "Today we found out the Cinerama  Dome is closing. The very first movie to play at the Dome was, “It's a Mad  Mad Mad Mad

They rolled out an obviously confused Mickey Rooney. The actress who played Sylvester's girlfriend was the only other cast member to make it. Oh, they also had the mannequins that were used in the final scene's stunts. Still dressed in their costumes.

23 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

on Watch TCM.

Holy shit, I've seen this a hundred times, but Dick Shawn dancing with the chick in the bikini gets me every time.  And it happens right after Jonathan Winters destroys the gas station. 

Barrie chase is the bikini girl - so hot.

i’ve watched this movie at least 100 times. It’s one of my favorites. I’ve never noticed in all of my previous viewings, but the last time we watched the movie, my wife and I just looked at each other when we noticed Dick Shawn’s “thigh” is visible multiple times while he is dancing in his short shorts.

Loved Winters going berserk on the gas station attendants.

How much would it cost to make a movie today with the same number of big stars? Could Bezos, Branson and Musk afford it?

1 minute ago, Longhorn Fever said:

i’ve watched this movie at least 100 times. It’s one of my favorites. I’ve never noticed in all of my previous viewings, but the last time we watched the movie, my wife and I just looked at each other when we noticed Dick Shawn’s “thigh” is visible multiple times while he is dancing in his short shorts.

How much would it cost to make a movie today with the same number of big stars? Could Bezos, Branson and Musk afford it?

I'm of the opinion that the same number of big stars don't exist today.   "Oceans XX" movies are as close as you can get, and they aren't in the same league.  This movie...those cats were from the "Golden Age" and it's long gone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm of the opinion that the same number of big stars don't exist today.   "Oceans XX" movies are as close as you can get, and they aren't in the same league.  This movie...those cats were from the "Golden Age" and it's long gone. 

I think I agree with you there. That was a virtual Milky Way of talent. Today’s stars might comprise a constellation.

Jim Backus, Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett kill me in their plane scenes.

I cahn’t see, I cahn’t see

21 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

It could be done. All the actors, though, would have to agree to do it for little money. I'm sure there's a director or two that could pull that off.

There have been some pretty star-studded ensemble casts in the recent future but I'm struggling to come up with an example. I'm sure @henrygandorf could help on this. The Ocean's Eleven movies don't really fit it IMO since it's really Clooney, Pitt, Damon as the stars and then it's filled in with Andy Garcia, Julia Roberts and a few others depending on which installment we're talking about.

22 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

This.  Laugh my ass off every time.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It could be done. All the actors, though, would have to agree to do it for little money. I'm sure there's a director or two that could pull that off.

There have been some pretty star-studded ensemble casts in the recent future but I'm struggling to come up with an example. I'm sure @henrygandorf could help on this. The Ocean's Eleven movies don't really fit it IMO since it's really Clooney, Pitt, Damon as the stars and then it's filled in with Andy Garcia, Julia Roberts and a few others depending on which installment we're talking about.

strictly by imdb cast listings, there's nothing in the history of cinema that approaches avengers : endgame.

we were doing some trivia and i think there are 10 or 11 actors in the movie that have won academy awards (not all for acting).

can you name them?

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

pre oceans 11 or superhero movies, i always considered "a bridge too far" to have the most impressive cast (1970-2000).

Which only goes to show you can have too many stars in one movie. Not a great movie, remember seeing it when it was released. We were all disappointed. Maybe it's aged better.  Ryan One as a military man ?  yeah no.....  He needed to stick to love stories  or con man flicks (Paper Moon was his best role ever).  MMM W is such a great ensemble cast. Tracey only had to play straight man to a bunch of comedic geniuses.  The Jonathon Winters gas station scene, and Dick Shawns dancing scene are gold (he basically played the same character in The Producers).

Edited by Onboard 2.0

13 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

America vs Brits.

Fight between Milton Berle and Terry(Thomas?) And the fist punch.

I was never a Milton Berle fan. His show was before my time. But he freaking kills in this.