Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

30 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You don't get to put your hands on someone because he said something you don't like. 

You do if they know you can make them accidentally trip and fall into the trunk of a '83 Chrysler LeBaron that might accidentally drive itself into a 75-foot deep water-filled coal pit out in the boonies of Oklahoma or Arkansas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Right? I mean who wouldn't agree to a massive publicity stunt where you could be charged with assault, all on the very night you might win the highest achievement of your career?

Right. Violence and disparaging wife remarks are always winners in that situation

Nope. Will smith is just a dumbass egomaniac and handled it poorly

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Anyone who doesn't think that was scripted is an idiot.

That might make more sense if Smith didn't follow it up with "take my wife's name outta your fuckin' mouth" twice on live TV.

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

They were presenting “Best Picture” together. Minnelli was struggling with the lines and the cards they gave her. GaGa handled it beautifully and with such grace. Pulled them both through it with such dignity. 

Caught a short clip of that. I'm not a huge fan of her music but Gaga is a badass.

I just read that Pinkett has alopecia and has spoken publicly about it. Interestingly, Smith himself was laughing at the joke while Jada make a face. Then he grandstands and goes onstage to slap a smaller man who just kept going.

Smith's endless acceptance speech included an apology to the Academy which I see some reporters saying that was him addressing the incident. He didn't apologize to Rock. I think he was apologizing for running on with his speech.  Loathsome is the only word in my mind when that sanctimonious sack of shit finally left the stage.

I'd have had him removed from the auditorium during the first break after the attack. I'd have had the presenter of best actor say the award was forfeit if Will Smith won it.

He'd never attend another ceremony if I ran the Academy. Disgraceful.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Didn’t watch any of this last night, but reading the thread is a reminder of how fucked up Hollywood can be. These actors–the ones like Will Smith who are the blockbuster stars making millions—are living a life where every day people are telling them how great they are and throwing money at them, while working on a massive movie set where everyone is so painfully serious about playing pretend. So much of their waking life is literally make believe. It’s such a huge detachment from reality. It makes it tough for even seemingly good guys like Tom Hanks from staying grounded.

I say this as someone who still loves the movies.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Think about how much more powerful it would have been if he simply held her hand. Gave Rock a look, maybe a shake of the head, maybe mouthed "Enough". We get so hung up on dealing with the offender we forget about the helping the person that is actually hurt.

Agree.