2018 NCAA Regionals Thread

Horny Bull

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

We are all SUPER impressed the mighty SEC managed to steal some regionals away from the constantly overrated ACC schools.  But wait, they also lost a regional to an ACC school. And an OVC school.  And those were top 8 seeds.

I agree that it makes sense for a fan of a conference putting two teams into the Supers to laugh at the lack of success of a conference putting six teams into the Supers.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Fuck that.

They would have been more insufferable than usual, had they won in Austin...and I'm not even a UT fan.

I just don't want to hear the motherfuckers.  Best scenario played out...

3 hours ago, WBT said:

I doubt tenn tech made an acceptable bid for supers

Maybe so. Don’t know when bids are submitted. But last season they were good, made a regional, and beat(surprise surprise surprise) FSU in game 1 of that regional. So maybe the school submitted a bid since this wasn’t a good season out of nowhere. 

11 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I agree that it makes sense for a fan of a conference putting two teams into the Supers to laugh at the lack of success of a conference putting six teams into the Supers.

We aren't "fans of a conference." We leave that to you guys.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I could not care less if Baylor, Tech, Ok State, Texas and OU had all made supers.

In fact, I would be thrilled if Baylor, TCU and OU never made another super regional in my lifetime.  Texas takes care of itself, it doesn't need to piggyback on the success of it's conference-mates.

SEC fans love getting pantsed by Alabama during the regular season and then cheering for them to win the CFP every year because "SEC!" Texas fans weren't rooting for OU to beat Georgia.  I'd like to see OU never win anything of significance for the rest of my life.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

Ah, the old Howling Bush?  My junior prom date had a touch of that herself.  Capacity: 1,100 (theirs, not hers)

330 to each foul pole, 360 to the alleys, 405 to dead center.  

14 hours ago, skipperj said:

You SEC folks suck.

The SEC is certainly a situation where the whole is worse than the sum of its parts. I really like and respect many of the schools in the SEC, but damn I hate the league it is so obnoxious even for Texans.

Guest Lobo

It's not wildly different from our stadium, especially since pearce moved the walls in.  But we're still noticeably larger particularly still because of the sharper angles (acute, obtuse, not sure) heading out to the Monster in Center.  but sheer square footage due to the OF configuration and the vastly larger foul areas as compared to their home stadium is wildly different.  They'd best also bring their best fielding game since they play on what looks like a slow grass field with very little foul room.  and apparently due to our three games being played on the surface of the sun, pop-ups in foul territory may present a problem.   Still, these guys can fucking rake.  So long as we don't take our bullpen on Saturday, we should be in fine shape to win it in 3. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I could not care less if Baylor, Tech, Ok State, Texas and OU had all made supers.

In fact, I would be thrilled if Baylor, TCU and OU never made another super regional in my lifetime.  Texas takes care of itself, it doesn't need to piggyback on the success of it's conference-mates.

SEC fans love getting pantsed by Alabama during the regular season and then cheering for them to win the CFP every year because "SEC!" Texas fans weren't rooting for OU to beat Georgia.  I'd like to see OU never win anything of significance for the rest of my life.

Well said. 

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Those alleys are a huge difference from the Disch.

Not really...

While the left- and right-field lines remain at 340 feet and 325 feet, respectively, Pierce shortened the power alleys to promote more power. The left-center field alley has gone from 384 feet to 370 while the right-center field has gone from 384 feet to 365. 

https://www.hookem.com/columns/golden-pierce-hopes-new-look-disch-falk-field-home-run-texas-baseball/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Player said:

If they played at the Disch as their home field they would have about half of the number of home runs they hit this year.

Not saying they can't hit but their numbers would be nowhere near as impressive. We will see but I expect them to be surprised when they hit a ball they are sure is going out only to see it caught near the warning track. 

Edited by Steamboat1874

Guest Lobo

Apparently, you can just walk into TTU's stadium with a YETI tumbler full of vodka/soda, or so that photo suggests to me.  One thing is for sure, since this is the first and last time I ever meet somebody from Tennessee Technical College (because I don't frequent the administrative headquarters of work-release programs)...let's be nice to them.  Unless they start hitting for extra bases, then fuck 'em.  

On 6/7/2018 at 10:03 AM, zlavydra said:

We aren't "fans of a conference." We leave that to you guys.

Really man??  Texas is in a conference.  A Texas fan is of a conference (Big12) whether they support other schools from that conference or not.   The post I responded to was slamming the SEC conference for poor performance, while the poster was a fan of a conference (from a team in that conference, for you) that had far less game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer.gifRegional winners.   It was not really that hard to figure out.   But it is sort of funny, as some idiots on the gator site were bemoaning about how the powers that be unfairly made the SEC teams play each other to limit us to three CWS teams.   Here, that was seen as an SEC plot to put three sure winners in the CWS.   Fans.   No matter where you go, we all suck.

Oh.  Don't make me post all of the anti-Georga posts I've made in the Regionals thread.  'Fuck Georgia' is never a bad position to take in polite society.

13 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

There's a difference between fans in a conference and fans of a conference.  I'm a fan in a conference.  I'm a fan of Texas.

Thank you Bill Clinton.   Good luck in your Regional.  

And you don't want folks from Opelika, Alabama in Omaha.  They'll just steal all of the hotel towels and throw toilet paper around if they win.   Trust me.

14 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Really man??  Texas is in a conference.  A Texas fan is of a conference (Big12) whether they support other schools from that conference or not.   The post I responded to was slamming the SEC conference for poor performance, while the poster was a fan of a conference (from a team in that conference, for you) that had far less game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer.gifRegional winners.   It was not really that hard to figure out.   But it is sort of funny, as some idiots on the gator site were bemoaning about how the powers that be unfairly made the SEC teams play each other to limit us to three CWS teams.   Here, that was seen as an SEC plot to put three sure winners in the CWS.   Fans.   No matter where you go, we all suck.

Oh.  Don't make me post all of the anti-Georga posts I've made in the Regionals thread.  'Fuck Georgia' is never a bad position to take in polite society.

We are a conference with 9 baseball teams, the SEC has 14. Based on sheer numbers alone, the fact that you have 5 more teams, I would hope that you consistently have more teams advancing. In order for the Big 12 to get 6 teams into a Super Regional, we wouldn't just have to get at least 66% of our conference into the tournament, but all 6 would have to advance. Not to mention who cares. No disrespect to Florida baseball as y'all finally broke through the glass ceiling, but this is the last place to be chanting the conference rah rah crap. The reason people get sick and tired of hearing about the SEC bs is because your successes are glorified into this untouchable stratosphere where y'all are considered a step under Triple A, and then in years like 2016 where the Big 12 gets 3 teams into Omaha and the SEC gets 1 (Florida) and goes 0 and barbeque, nobody bats an eyelash. Up until 1990, nobody gave 2 shits about SEC baseball.

Texas has consistently run through the SEC in the postseason with it's fair share of losses to LSU in '09 and Vanderbilt in '14. Since the tournament expanded to 64 teams and adopted the Super Regional format Texas is 14-6 against the SEC in the tournament. Then off the top of my head Greg Swindell, Dennis Cook and the 1985 team sent Rafael Palmeiro, Will Clark, and the so called "Greatest Mississippi State team ever" packing.

35 CWS appearances and 6 National Titles. Leave us, LSU, Cal State, Arizona State, Arizona, Miami etc... out of that conference rah rah crap. Duke could spank Tech this weekend and you wouldn't find a Texas fan that could give two shits unless they had some family connection and even then they probably wouldn't care.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

We are a conference with 9 baseball teams, the SEC has 14. Based on sheer numbers alone, the fact that you have 5 more teams, I would hope that you consistently have more teams advancing. In order for the Big 12 to get 6 teams into a Super Regional, we wouldn't just have to get at least 66% of our conference into the tournament, but all 6 would have to advance. Not to mention who cares. No disrespect to Florida baseball as y'all finally broke through the glass ceiling, but this is the last place to be chanting the conference rah rah crap. The reason people get sick and tired of hearing about the SEC bs is because your successes are glorified into this untouchable stratosphere where y'all are considered a step under Triple A, and then in years like 2016 where the Big 12 gets 3 teams into Omaha and the SEC gets 1 (Florida) and goes 0 and barbeque, nobody bats an eyelash. Up until 1990, nobody gave 2 shits about SEC baseball.

Texas has consistently run through the SEC in the postseason with it's fair share of losses to LSU in '09 and Vanderbilt in '14. Since the tournament expanded to 64 teams and adopted the Super Regional format Texas is 14-6 against the SEC in the tournament. Then off the top of my head Greg Swindell, Dennis Cook and the 1985 team sent Rafael Palmeiro, Will Clark, and the so called "Greatest Mississippi State team ever" packing.

35 CWS appearances and 6 National Titles. Leave us, LSU, Cal State, Arizona State, Arizona, Miami etc... out of that conference rah rah crap. Duke could spank Tech this weekend and you wouldn't find a Texas fan that could give two shits unless they had some family connection and even then they probably wouldn't care.

Never said you sucked, or we were all that.  I did say that I did not see six regional winners as 'choking', as was said.  It's not world beater stuff mind you,  but I disagree that it was a miserable showing for any conference.  

As to your Super, I know not one thing about your opponent.  I hope your pitching shows up like they did in the Regional.  That was exciting.   

Edited by Gatorubet

7 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Never said you sucked, or we were all that.  I did say that I did not see six regional winners as 'choking', as was said.  It's not world beater stuff mind you,  but I disagree that it was a miserable showing for any conference.  

As to your Super, I know not one thing about your opponent.  I hope your pitching shows up like they did in the Regional.  That was exciting.   

I mean serious question, do you sit in front of your TV and cheer for every SEC team (minus Georgia) when they play somebody from another conference? Mississippi State hits a 3 run walkoff HR against Florida State to keep their season alive and their fans start doing the SEC chant? We just don't get it at all. If I ever started chanting Big 12...Big12...Big12 after Texas won, I would hope somebody would come over and punch me in the throat.

23 hours ago, Texas25 said:

I mean serious question, do you sit in front of your TV and cheer for every SEC team (minus Georgia) when they play somebody from another conference? Mississippi State hits a 3 run walkoff HR against Florida State to keep their season alive and their fans start doing the SEC chant? We just don't get it at all. If I ever started chanting Big 12...Big12...Big12 after Texas won, I would hope somebody would come over and punch me in the throat.

What I don't get is why I'm supposed to answer for those sins?   I mean, since 2006, every non-SEC site I post on has everyone explaining why they hate that SEC all-for-one-and-one-for-all shit.  No offense, but exactly how many times a year do you expect me to respond?  And how can I prevent it if I wanted to?  Can we just use a code system, where you start posts with "Number 32", and we all know it means you hate the SEC and think the SEC support each other shit is regarded?? 

But for a serious answer, I have a theory about it, involving the fact that the SEC got no respect in the day - while the  sports press was focused on Big-10, west coat, Notre Dame and Penn State....and Texas and Oklahoma from your neck of the woods.   The SEC felt aggrieved by a lack of respect, valid or no.

And I think there is a sort of fucked up linkage of the confederate states being looked down upon by the rest of the country, and the SEC states having this massive insecurity complex that comes from that - a sort of 'us against those elite snobs who think that our lack of hygiene and book larnin' and anti-lynching laws means we is dumb yokels!!'    Add the approbation of the  South after the civil rights era, and it was a few steps between 'us versus them' that became the 'SEC versus everyone else.'

I might be wrong.   Prolly am.   But I think it is a part of it anyway.    Now, I'm OK with the totally annoying knob job by ESPN of the SEC - because it helps my team in AP ranking and RPI and  such.     it would make me rage-y if I were from your school.....but a strong reputation for the SEC makes Florida's poll ranking situation arguably better.    So the SEC gushing is cheesy and annoying, /and likely a tad unfair, but if it helps Florida, I don't really care how much it annoys anyone else.    Mostly, I support the SEC because it helps Florida in some ways.     But Georgia?  Fuck that whole state and everyone in it.

TL/DR version: anything that helps Florida even marginally I'm fine with, even if insufferably annoying to anyone else. 

Edited by Gatorubet

22 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

What I don't get is why I'm supposed to answer for those sins?   I mean, since 2006, every non-SEC site I post on has everyone explaining why they hate that SEC all-for-one-and-one-for-all shit.  No offense, but exactly how many times a year do you expect me to respond?  And how can I prevent it if I wanted to?  Can we just use a code system, where you start posts with "Number 32", and we all know it means you hate the SEC and think the SEC support each other shit is regarded?? 

But for a serious answer, I have a theory about it, involving the fact that the SEC got no respect in the day - while the  sports press was focused on Big-10, west coat, Notre Dame and Penn State....and Texas and Oklahoma from your neck of the woods.   The SEC felt aggrieved by a lack of respect, valid or no.

And I think there is a sort of fucked up linkage of the confederate states being looked down upon by the rest of the country, and the SEC states having this massive insecurity complex that comes from that - a sort of 'us against those elite snobs who think that our lack of hygiene and book larnin' and anti-lynching laws means we is dumb yokels!!'    Add the approbation of the  South after the civil rights era, and it was a few steps between 'us versus them' that became the 'SEC versus everyone else.'

I might be wrong.   Prolly am.   But I think it is a part of it anyway.    Now, I'm OK with the totally annoying knob job by ESPN of the SEC - because it helps my team in AP ranking and RPI and  such.     it would make me rage-y if I were from your school.....but a strong reputation for the SEC makes Florida's poll ranking situation arguably better.    So the SEC gushing is cheesy and annoying, /and likely a tad unfair, but if it helps Florida, I don't really care how much it annoys anyone else.    Mostly, I support the SEC because it helps Florida in some ways.     But Georgia?  Fuck that whole state and everyone in it.

TL/DR version: anything that helps Florida even marginally I'm fine with, even if insufferably annoying to anyone else. 

Wasn't asking you to answer for the sins of others. Simply wondering what the reasoning for the chant is as the whole conference does it. I've never seen you respond to that question, I can't see ever response in every single thread. Its just annoying when an average team beats a good SEC team and the perception is well maybe that average team is pretty good. Then when a good team in the Pac 12, Big 12, or ACC loses to an average team the narrative is well maybe that team isn't as good as we thought they were. It is what it is right now.

• 2 years later...