2018 NCAA Regionals Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

So with he Supers set as they re now, the SEC is guaranteed at least 3 spots in Omaha.  No there is no bias at all.

The only bias was giving the ACC that many regional host sites. The ACC is consistently overrated by the committee and every year they underperform. Four of those six games involve #2 seeds from the SEC and three were playing at #1 seeds from the ACC. There would be a lot of ACC teams playing each other had they not all shit the bed (again).

Edited by The Dog

14 minutes ago, msudawg said:

blame the acc for sucking ass

They have been blowing Regionals consistently for at least 20 years with FSU leading the way. I don't know why they keep getting so many hosts. Are there any non-chokers in the ACC? I guess UVA maybe.

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

They have been blowing Regionals consistently for at least 20 years with FSU leading the way. I don't know why they keep getting so many hosts. Are there any non-chokers in the ACC? I guess UVA maybe.

And it's usually worse - they get cushy regionals at home and sleepwalk to the Supers. At least this year the SEC put enough teams in to expose those frauds early on. The side effect is the SEC putting a crapload in the Supers, but I'm ok with that since the SEC is actually decent at baseball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

So with he Supers set as they re now, the SEC is guaranteed at least 3 spots in Omaha.  No there is no bias at all.

I’d rather see it like this, plus the pairings were predetermined.  It’s not like they KNEW aggy would lose...

lolz.

if they reseeded for the supers, you might have a point.  As it plyed out, it just hppened to be how the 11 teams fell in 16 Regionals.

The bigger point is that 11 teams from one conference is idiotic.

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

A 64-team field is probably too many.  I preferred the 48-team field with the 6-team regionals.  THOSE were a week-long party.

Edited by utee94

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

I’d rather see it like this, plus the pairings were predetermined.  It’s not like they KNEW aggy would lose...

lolz.

if they reseeded for the supers, you might have a point.  As it plyed out, it just hppened to be how the 11 teams fell in 16 Regionals.

It's so gross what ESPN is doing to pimp the SEC as a whole and get them favorable positioning in postseason tournaments.

NCAA Baseball - 10 teams in, 4 regional hosts - 2 got knocked out as national seeds (LOL)

NCAA Softball - 13 bids, 9 regional hosts - only put 2 in the WCWS and went a combined 1-4 (that only win was against another SEC team)

NCAA Basketball - 8 teams in, went exactly .500 (8-8), only 2 made it to the Sweet 16

NCAA Football - 11 teams get postseason berths, 5-6 record but damn if they didn't make sure 2 got into the CFP regardless (including a non-SEC division champ)

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

lolz.

Did Kentucky make it in and I didn't know it? Nope. Only 10. ACC has 6 Big 12 has 5. You say it was too many but 7 of the 16 teams still alive kinda proves it's not. Especially since 2 of us won a regional we didn't host.  

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's so gross what ESPN is doing to pimp the SEC as a whole and get them favorable positioning in postseason tournaments.

NCAA Baseball - 10 teams in, 4 regional hosts - 2 got knocked out as national seeds (LOL)

NCAA Softball - 13 bids, 9 regional hosts - only put 2 in the WCWS and went a combined 1-4 (that only win was against another SEC team)

NCAA Basketball - 8 teams in, went exactly .500 (8-8), only 2 made it to the Sweet 16

NCAA Football - 11 teams get postseason berths, 5-6 record but damn if they didn't make sure 2 got into the CFP regardless (including a non-SEC division champ)

I didn't know that ESPN was in charge of selecting teams for post season play.... Man they took over the NCAA??? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, msudawg said:

I didn't know that ESPN was in charge of selecting teams for post season play.... Man they took over the NCAA??? 

They have a pretty large influence...or used to anyway. ESPN kind of sucks now.

In any case I like the SEC being the big dog. They are very fun to root against...well except Alabama football. Alabama football is not fun in any sense.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

I'm just sick if the SEC.  Fuck the SEC and every team in it.

win 2 more games and you will be in the bracket and have to beat 2 of them at least to make the Championship game. You hate em? Shut em up on the field. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, msudawg said:

win 2 more games and you will be in the bracket and have to beat 2 of them at least to make the Championship game. You hate em? Shut em up on the field. 

We used to do that regularly until the stupid 2009 CWS. I am only extremely bitter about that.

Teams that made conference tournament championships. Their results at regionals

ACC: Louisville (2-2/eliminated) FSU (0-2/eliminated)

Big 12: Baylor (1-2/eliminated) TCU (didn't make regional)

SEC: Ole Miss (2-2/eliminated) LSU (1-2/eliminated)

Big 10: Minnesota (3-0/advanced) Purdue (1-2/eliminated)

Edited by texasstrong12

42 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Did Kentucky make it in and I didn't know it? Nope. Only 10. ACC has 6 Big 12 has 5. You say it was too many but 7 of the 16 teams still alive kinda proves it's not. Especially since 2 of us won a regional we didn't host.  

Did a 7th SEC team make it to the supers, and I didn't know it?

51 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Winning a Tallahassee regional is no rare feat. Was the other an acc host as well, ncstate maybe?

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Teams that made conference tournament championships. Their results at regionals

ACC: Louisville (2-2/eliminated) FSU (0-2/eliminated)

Big 12: Baylor (1-2/eliminated) TCU (didn't make regional)

SEC: Ole Miss (2-2/eliminated) LSU (1-2/eliminated)

Big 10: Minnesota (3-0/advanced) Purdue (1-2/eliminated)

Damn interesting.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

lolz.

I hate the SEC BS but baseball is a bit of a different animal due to the west coast and southern US being much more weather friendly for baseball.  The issue is how the RPI's are calculated and the self fulfilling prophecy of SEC conference play.  A&M as a #12 RPI is a joke given their OOC

• Like 1

Well shit. Now we have to all wait till Fri/Sat. and we are still waiting to name our next head coach. Was some damn good baseball over the past 3 days. 

My bil sent me a text last night in response to my, “fuck this shit, those fucking heartbreaking pieces of fuck etc”.
He said, “well, at least it was a hell of a season”.
I told him to fuck his own face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Been traveling so this is the first chance I've had to share an incident after our game with aggy. I was wearing my Longhorn "fishing" shirt and was walking out of DF when a group of about 7 forty-fifty year old aggy men approached me. Each was eager to shake my hand. I was dumbstruck! They said that they had traveled to numerous baseball parks throughout the country and the SEC and so they felt pretty confident about knowing game-day atmospheres. They said they had never seen a better crowd than what they saw Saturday night. They said we had the best and loudest fans they had ever seen. They said we were respectful, knowledgeable and what true fans should be like. They said they would be rooting for the Horns to "go all the way" and win our 7th title. I thanked them and wished them the best and that hopefully maybe they could have a similar season to ours next year.

Winning sure brings out the fans!

Sarcasm meter on overload ?? (if that were to happen, had to be 2%ers...)

Edited by BillyGoatHill

13 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Yeah.   We arranged to have one team in each regional, and to win that regional.   And we did it like tricksey Hobbits, winning most of them in the Regionals where we were not the home team.  And we fixed all of the Regionals to make one SEC team the winner in that Regional, so that we could play each other.   'Cause it is better to have THREE SEC teams in than have the possibility of having SIX SEC teams in the CWS, if we did not play each other.

Please.  Do not reproduce.   We beg you.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Been traveling so this is the first chance I've had to share an incident after our game with aggy. I was wearing my Longhorn "fishing" shirt and was walking out of DF when a group of about 7 forty-fifty year old aggy men approached me. Each was eager to shake my hand. I was dumbstruck! They said that they had traveled to numerous baseball parks throughout the country and the SEC and so they felt pretty confident about knowing game-day atmospheres. They said they had never seen a better crowd than what they saw Saturday night. They said we had the best and loudest fans they had ever seen. They said we were respectful, knowledgeable and what true fans should be like. They said they would be rooting for the Horns to "go all the way" and win our 7th title. I thanked them and wished them the best and that hopefully maybe they could have a similar season to ours next year.

Stink Palm: You got it

11 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Yeah.   We arranged to have one team in each regional, and to win that regional.   And we did it like tricksey Hobbits, winning most of them in the Regionals where we were not the home team.  And we fixed all of the Regionals to make one SEC team the winner in that Regional, so that we could play each other.   'Cause it is better to have THREE SEC teams in than have the possibility of having SIX SEC teams in the CWS, if we did not play each other.

Please.  Do not reproduce.   We beg you.

I am looking forward to laughing at how only 30% of the SEC teams in the post-season made the College World Series.

Ok seriously the only SEC fans who need to STFU are all the Kentucky people claiming their 13-18 team should have been in. I mean if we are going to do that we might as well just cancel the SEC conference season and just have all of you take a few months off since it clearly does not matter at all.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am looking forward to laughing at how only 30% of the SEC teams in the post-season made the College World Series.

We are all SUPER impressed the mighty SEC managed to steal some regionals away from the constantly overrated ACC schools.  But wait, they also lost a regional to an ACC school. And an OVC school.  And those were top 8 seeds.

Edited by Js1

17 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Did they tell you they wished their kids had gone to Texas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

The SEC has been doing this for years and they always brag about how they get so many teams to the CWS. 

No shit you get more teams to the CWS when you have 10 or 11 teams to start with every year in postseason play. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok seriously the only SEC fans who need to STFU are all the Kentucky people claiming their 13-18 team should have been in. I mean if we are going to do that we might as well just cancel the SEC conference season and just have all of you take a few months off since it clearly does not matter at all.

All 4 of them?  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck women's sports.

complete bore.

I didn't follow the WCWS at all, but I was curious, so I looked at the bracket.  All 16 regional hosts won their regional.  Just like in basketball, there is no parity whatsoever.  

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I didn't follow the WCWS at all, but I was curious, so I looked at the bracket.  All 16 regional hosts won their regional.  Just like in basketball, there is no parity whatsoever.  

And all top 8 seeds won their super regionals.

But the #1 and #2 seeds went 1-2 and failed to make the semifinals.

The finals was #5 and #6. #6 won. I guess there's "parity" among the top 10 teams, but not THAT much.

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

"I for one have no love for Ole Miss and yes Tenn Tech is a weapon hitting. I'm not sure how to figure out whether they got screwed. 

On one hand, I think any honest Sec baseball fan would admit that this Ole Miss team had a shot to go all the way. They are deep everywhere and talented. They did beat Tenn Tech 9-8 first game, got crushed second game and then lost a very close game 3-2. 

Now, the only thing I find fault in is the fact that no way Tenn Tech had the pitching to hold Ole Miss to 2 runs in the 3rd game. Ole Miss has far better pitching and their bats should have won game 3.!. Tenn Tech is more of a wrecking crew with the bats. 

As a non spokesperson for OM, I think 2 things happened. The better team lost if you consider Ole Miss pitching in game 3. Their bats are nasty good when clicking but failed to score 3 runs. 

I'm going to go ahead and say it, had they gotten past Tenn Tech they would have made a huge run. Too much talent not to. I'm not making excuses for OM but honestly, who wanted Tenn Tech in their regional? 

If you recall, I joked about how Msu might be a 2 seed nobody wanted in their regional, I think Ole Miss deserved better but that's my opinion."

Yes, that is your opinion.

I assume you are saying Ole' Miss deserved better than having a very tough TT as their #2 seed.  I'd agree with that.  Especially when you consider Stetson was the #11 overall seed and their entire regional was dog shit.  The #2 seed (USF) lost to OSU twice, and neither game was close.  And I can admit OSU was complete dog shit.  2-10 in our last 12 games coming in and they lose handily to us twice?  So how does the #11 get such a cake walk regional and the #4 seed get a team like TT?  It makes me wonder if the committee puts much thought into where the 2, 3, 4 seeds go.