Elite private schools and college admissions

Sawbonz

7 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Whelp, Boy #2 is a University of Oregon Duck.  He got into Clark Honors, the Business School, and got 10K in merit.  Apparently rain doesn’t bother him. 

@Sbbruin do you have any idea what’s the best Duck billboard for a Shag member to follow Oregon football?  I’m not leaving here, but I would like to at least feel the thrill of successful college football again before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I don’t.  Ducks attack or something like that.

Congrats.  Nice to have it decided, eh?

A couple of things the book said to research were the freshman class yield (percentage of those that were admitted and actually enroll) and non-need based financial aid (i.e. merit awards).  You can google the university name + "common data set" to get each university's annual submittal.

A low yield under 30% means schools will compete and offer more merit money to buy better students.  The elite universities don't offer shit because you will pay for their name.

I looked at one on my daughter's list vs Texas and it definitely range true...

Univ of Colorado:  Yield = 14.1% with 44% of freshmen (2,710 students) receiving an average of $9,173 of merit aid.

Texas:  Yield = 46.9% with 4% of freshmen (361 students) receiving an average of $4,574 of merit aid.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 3:41 PM, 52-80 said:

A bunch of fucking nerds in here

My oldest son got his today.  Nerdy AF. But has also has worked his ass off since about 2010( sophomore year in HS) on the academic side of things. a year of prep school. 4 years of college. 5 years as an officer in the Army; during the last 2 of which, he completed his Masters.

Started his real job last week.  Time to get paid...( and yeah, I'm openly bragging)  I did give him shit about "College of Computing."  I mean, hell, they're a Top 10 Post grad Computer Science school and that's all the BAM!!!! they can muster on the degree?  Also, Masters isn't listed anywhere, which was also unusual to me, not that I'd fucking know, anyway.

Ga-Tech-Slorch.jpg

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

My oldest son got his today.  Nerdy AF. But has also has worked his ass off since about 2010( sophomore year in HS) on the academic side of things. a year of prep school. 4 years of college. 5 years as an officer in the Army; during the last 2 of which, he completed his Masters.

Started his real job last week.  Time to get paid...( and yeah, I'm openly bragging)  I did give him shit about "College of Computing."  I mean, hell, they're a Top 10 Post grad Computer Science school and that's all the BAM!!!! they can muster on the degree?  Also, Masters isn't listed anywhere, which was also unusual to me, not that I'd fucking know, anyway.

Ga-Tech-Slorch.jpg

gt's a good one for the bits n bytes

On 5/5/2022 at 5:13 PM, CooterBrown said:

A couple of things the book said to research were the freshman class yield (percentage of those that were admitted and actually enroll) and non-need based financial aid (i.e. merit awards).  You can google the university name + "common data set" to get each university's annual submittal.

A low yield under 30% means schools will compete and offer more merit money to buy better students.  The elite universities don't offer shit because you will pay for their name.

I looked at one on my daughter's list vs Texas and it definitely range true...

Univ of Colorado:  Yield = 14.1% with 44% of freshmen (2,710 students) receiving an average of $9,173 of merit aid.

Texas:  Yield = 46.9% with 4% of freshmen (361 students) receiving an average of $4,574 of merit aid.

Damn that’s clever, I’ve been skipping over the finaid page in the CDS cause I figured it was mostly about need aid for the poors. I never actually dug around in it. Oregon’s yield is a 13% and it’s average annual grant is $7100-ish. 

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Ga-Tech-Slorch.jpg

Their CompSci program is legit! Congratulations.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/5/2022 at 4:57 PM, CooterBrown said:

I want my girls to get out of Texas, so it is what it is.

If they do well on the SAT and are good students CU Boulder will offer a nice scholarship.  My daughter got a great offer from them (she chose elsewhere) and my nephew who is in state is basically going for free.  It’s a great choice.

6 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

If they do well on the SAT and are good students CU Boulder will offer a nice scholarship.  My daughter got a great offer from them (she chose elsewhere) and my nephew who is in state is basically going for free.  It’s a great choice.

The fact I didn't even consider CU is proof enough of how big of a moron I am.

She should do really well hopefully. She is dyslexic so that may hurt her test scores but she has her 4 years of HS mapped out and will end up with 16 AP and Honors courses IIRC. Her lowest year average so far from 6th-9th is a 98. Hopefully she keeps it up.

Honestly, that book turned me off to the truly elite universities. She wants to go where there is either great hiking or sailing opportunities. So that’s a major decision factor when picking schools to tour. She’ll most likely go into engineering. We will do the tour of CU, CSU, and CSOM in September. Probably will also look at Northeastern, UBC, Cal, and a few others. Any school in a red state is out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Gotdammit.  Y'all want this to go CR, eh?

No, but a state that does not allow abortion in cases of rape is off the table when selecting colleges. Sexual assault happens, particularly to young women on campus. Certainly as important a factor to my family as percent in on campus housing, Div I sports, or winter weather.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

No, but a state that does not allow abortion in cases of rape is off the table when selecting colleges. Sexual assault happens, particularly to young women on campus. Certainly as important a factor to my family as percent in on campus housing, Div I sports, or winter weather.

So does murder.

Should probably stay at home.

Forever.  That's the only way to be safe.

This ain't the thread for that discussion, and multiple posters are bringing it up. Deliberately/ accidentally.  It doesn't matter.

Edited by slorch

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

For sure, but in the spirit of this thread...apple fell far from the tree, congrats to your son 🤪

I admit that straight up.  Both of them worked their asses off to overcome their genes.

In hs, I can remember my folks tsking over the football coach's daughter getting pregnant and I don't think it was the first time so Colorado was a party school to my folks and discouraged. Keep in mind that I am first generation college so they had no idea about what goes on at campuses in general but they figured if it makes the news then it must be really bad....some school's reputations change over time for good or bad, so it's funny to reminisce about it for me.

I think considering 'the real world' as @CleverNickname posited is important when either considering applying or narrowing choices based on successful admissions. Here is a case in point on a micro level: my oldest, a female, takes oral contraceptives for a medical condition and were those to become illegal, this affects her health in ways that have a long term serious impact.  Fortunately, she no longer resides in Texas because she earned her undergraduate degree and resides elsewhere.

Which leads to my next point, a macro level perspective: our family owes a thank you to the taxpayers of the state of Texas for subsidizing her K-12 public school education. She did well, quite well, (no thanks to my genes) and her university education was also subsidized by the state as well as merit scholarships to the point that the entirety of her college education was free and continues to be as she pursues an advanced STEM degree.

And after that wonderful investment that Texas citizens provided and continues to contribute to its current crop of bright scholars, she likely will not return. Even though she would like to live and work here in Texas, she will not risk her health to do so.

To anyone who would argue that privatizing the process would eliminate that out migration, I disagree, because one loses that 'state' identity and loyalty that our nation's state universities possess and that actually means something to the residents whose tax dollars assist in supporting its endeavors (albeit at a smaller percentage than two decades ago).

Apologies for barging into the discussion, but her way was: state uni for undergrad and private school for graduate and it's worked out splendidly. The next oldest is male and is following a similar process and time will tell how all that shakes out.

Peace and good luck to all of your scholars (and recent grads--congrats to your son, @slorch )

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

So does murder.

Should probably stay at home.

Forever.  That's the only way to be safe.

This ain't the thread for that discussion, and multiple posters are bringing it up. Deliberately/ accidentally.  It doesn't matter.

Look this stuff up first. We went to tour Rochester Institute of Technology. When we got to Rochester we saw what a shit hole it was, pulled up the crime stats, and turned right around not bothering with the tour as mom and dad vetoed living there.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I admit that straight up.  Both of them worked their asses off to overcome their genes.

Best feeling in the world is to see your kids outshine you in every way.  No sarcasm, ill will, or CR. 

And yeah I can say without  any doubt my daughter (and son, for that matter) will probably never return to Texas, whereas I'll happily come and visit.  Take from that what you will.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

I mean, if there is a college or state with a dramatically different murder rate, that seems like a reasonable filter too. Real world shit matters. 

Exactly! Its all fun and games until you are staring at the face of a beautiful teenage daughter. Things you never worried about prior come into full view. Things that people with boys probably never think about. Campus safety is one of those things, but so is that other thing you listed. My girl hits 14 tomorrow and has been going on about heading back to LA for school when the time comes for a solid year now. Hopefully we stay the course. At a lot of time on the clock still.

I’m going to respond to the OMG CRIME! and then drop it.

So, there is long standing research that most sexual assault is committed by some one know to the victim rather than a stranger, despite the fact that acquaintance rape is under reported.  There is a far greater chance your child will be attacked by a student at a party than a townie walking home from the party. 

If I had a daughter I would be far more concerned about sending her to an outwardly gorgeous and “low crime” community like Hanover, NH than some school with surrounded by sketchy neighborhoods, because Dartmouth has a hideous multi generational reputation for sexual assault 

If a school seems like a good fit, visit it.  Ask hard questions. Crime statistics are only a data point.

Otherwise send your kid to the local community college and keep them in bubble wrap in your basement. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/2/2022 at 8:28 AM, deadshank said:

My nephew just went through all of this; however, he’s not in private school.  Top in his class at DC area high school.    Rejected by Harvard, Yale, Swarthmore (wtf?), Duke, Virginia Tech (wtf x 11th billion).   

Accepted by Stanford, Cornell, William and Mary, Vassar, UVA, Clemson, Tenn and SCar all with academic scholarship.  

Go figure.  

My nephew picked William & Mary with scholarship.  

Good luck, kid. 

Don’t sweat the books.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, Sawbonz said:

Username does not check out

in medicine you run into a lot of Ivy grads as I’m sure you do in law. I have never been particularly impressed by their brains or technical ability as being superior to anyone else’s. Highest number of 4.0s in my meds school class were from tech. One of the Ivy grads I wouldn’t let touch my dog. As a whole of course they will be alright just because of the selectivity of the schools. I did go to an Ivy for fellowship though. Don’t cost nothin

I see Ivy undergrad as valuable if you want to go into politics or if you want to marry into fuck you money. Otherwise kick ass at the best reasonably priced public you can get into. You will then be competitive for an elite grad program if you really want it /don’t mind wasting money

My experience has been somewhat different. Some of the stuff below might have been raised above already. There have also been some interesting podcasts on some of these issues, one in medicine from Freakonomics, MD titled "How Can You Choose The Best Doctor." They interview a researcher that looked to see if there was a correlation between reputation for residency and outcomes (in OB, another in General Surgery), and it turned out that the answer was yes. Obviously residency isn't medical school, but there is also a correlation between your medical school and your chances of matching into a top residency. My encounters with medical students from top schools, is that, as a whole, they can be a cut above. It isn't always the technical part (though sometimes it is that too), but I do think the elite 10 or so do set themselves apart in some way.

Freakonomics Radio, also just started a series of podcasts on colleges and have one titled "The University of Impossible to Get Into." Touches on some of the why it has gotten so hard to get into Harvard, Stanford etc. Interesting not that long ago, the admission rates were almost double what they are now.

I looked at the first few pages of this thread, and it seemed dominated by the Lawyers and Law School, and alot of anecdotal evidence that top law grads are not any better (and in many cases, cited as being worse) than the rest of the pack. I haven't found that to be true on the medicine side. 

On the issue of cost, if you are going to take on the burden of student debt, you can argue the case that doing it for medical school is the not worst decision you can make, ifyour plan is to be in competitive specialty, to have a greater pick of geography to practice in, and especially if you plan to be in academics and do research. 

If I was advising a HS student, would say go to best public state school you can go to, i.e, Michigan, UCLA etc, incurring the least amount of debt that you can. Then aim for best medical school (public or private) you can get into.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Colorado still has a reputation as a party school, but so does Wisconsin, and it’s a public Ivy. There’s a wide range of schools out there: you don’t have to choose between ASU and the University of Chicago. 

It’s funny you put those two together, my youngest is as dead set on ASU right now as the oldest is on UNC (visiting Univ of Chicago later this month). Apparently all the Tik Tok people she follows go to ASU. At this point any college is a plus for her so we’re setting a low bar.

It’s probably not a discussion for this thread, but it is interesting to see others with daughters that are going through the same discussions. My mother asked my oldest last night why she wasn’t considering TN and she told her flat out she wouldn’t be going to school in this state nor did she ever plan on moving back

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

It’s funny you put those two together, my youngest is as dead set on ASU right now as the oldest is on UNC (visiting Univ of Chicago later this month). Apparently all the Tik Tok people she follows go to ASU. At this point any college is a plus for her so we’re setting a low bar.

It’s probably not a discussion for this thread, but it is interesting to see others with daughters that are going through the same discussions. My mother asked my oldest last night why she wasn’t considering TN and she told her flat out she wouldn’t be going to school in this state nor did she ever plan on moving back

It’s interesting because Lori Laughlin (Aunt Becky) went to jail because she wanted her daughter to go to USC instead of allowing her to pursue a social media career and go to ASU.  

The biggest advice I give to parents is talk to your kids about what they want.  It’s ultimately their life.  There are of course finance considerations as well as other things, but just because I tend to favor East Coast elite liberal arts schools doesn’t mean I should force that on my kids. 

23 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I’m going to respond to the OMG CRIME! and then drop it.

So, there is long standing research that most sexual assault is committed by some one know to the victim rather than a stranger, despite the fact that acquaintance rape is under reported.  There is a far greater chance your child will be attacked by a student at a party than a townie walking home from the party. 

If I had a daughter I would be far more concerned about sending her to an outwardly gorgeous and “low crime” community like Hanover, NH than some school with surrounded by sketchy neighborhoods, because Dartmouth has a hideous multi generational reputation for sexual assault 

If a school seems like a good fit, visit it.  Ask hard questions. Crime statistics are only a data point.

Otherwise send your kid to the local community college and keep them in bubble wrap in your basement. 

And here is the difference. You don't!

I remember pre-kid I told myself no cell phone until high school. She got one at 11. I told myself I wouldn't be concerned with what she wore. Then she had bigger boobs than my wife by age 12. We all THINK we know what we would do until that moment is upon us. Life is fluid. Having a boy is NOT like having a girl. You realize pretty quick that girls are a lot more vulnerable than we are. You start to see things through their eyes, and the pitfalls and obstacles they deal with that we don't. I took my daughter to the store Thanksgiving Day because we forgot a couple things. She was dressed up in one of momma's dresses and heels. I sent her to get one thing while I got the other. As she walked every guy in the store, old and young, turned and looked at her. She is 13 years old. She started to cover herself because she could feel the eyes on her. That is not something that we have to go through. We are not prey. Every man isn't looking to fuck us.

So pardon me for thinking that life is just placing yourself in the best percentages for success. Taking proper measures for ones safety is part of that in the life of a woman. After all, 1 in 6 my friend, 1 in 6. Then you are mentally broken for the rest of your life. It's nothing to play with. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I remember pre-kid I told myself no cell phone until high school. She got one at 11. I told myself I wouldn't be concerned with what she wore. Then she had bigger boobs than my wife by age 12. We all THINK we know what we would do until that moment is upon us. Life is fluid. Having a boy is NOT like having a girl. You realize pretty quick that girls are a lot more vulnerable than we are. You start to see things through their eyes, and the pitfalls and obstacles they deal with that we don't. I took my daughter to the store Thanksgiving Day because we forgot a couple things. She was dressed up in one of momma's dresses and heels. I sent her to get one thing while I got the other. As she walked every guy in the store, old and young, turned and looked at her. She is 13 years old. She started to cover herself because she could feel the eyes on her. That is not something that we have to go through. We are not prey. Every man isn't looking to fuck us.

So pardon me for thinking that life is just placing yourself in the best percentages for success. Taking proper measures for ones safety is part of that in the life of a woman. After all, 1 in 6 my friend, 1 in 6. Then you are mentally broken for the rest of your life. It's nothing to play with. 

Again: sexual assault is overwhelmingly committed by persons known to the victim, not strangers.  Do with that as you will. 

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Hearing from my daughters regarding the lengths of planning they go to for simple shit because of this issue was quite eye opening.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Again: sexual assault is overwhelmingly committed by persons known to the victim, not strangers.  Do with that as you will. 

Again: You think you know what you are talking about but you don't. I told this story on here before but I will tell it again. I was 8 years old and we had a 4th of July family thing at a park. There were a lot of us and I drifted off alone to play on one of those exercise stations on the running trail. This particular one was right next to the woods. A blonde haired blue eyed white man asked me was this the place to go jogging and when I turned he covered my mouth and dragged me into the woods. I fought as hard as I could but he was just too strong. When he got me far enough he beat me until I stopped fighting him. He tried to rape me but I had just shit myself. He then told me to count to 200 and started kicking around in the leaves walking away from me like he was looking for something he dropped. I was facedown but I could see him out of the corner of my eye. Something told me to get up and run, and I ran, pantless,  as fast as my little legs could carry me. He chased me for a bit but I was screaming so at some point he turned around. Police came. Put the blanket you see the victims in the movies with around me. I had to go to the police station and look through books and lineups. Needless to say my life was never the same after that. Everyone was affected. Me. My mom for leaving me with my aunt. My aunt for losing track of me.

So statistics say that most assaults are someone that knows you, well it wasn't the case for me. Mine was being in an unsafe place and not watching my surroundings. Just because a majority of cases are people you know doesn't mean a lot of people out there aren't being attacked by strangers. If its one in six but only 15% of those are strangers, that's still 4 million women in the United States getting sexually assaulted. So don't be like my family who probably never thought that something like that would happen only for it to haunt them for the rest of their lives. Take proper precautions before its too late. You don't have to live in fear, but nothing wrong with having respect for the evil that is out there.

End thread jack/

Edited by Thatguy

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Again: You think you know what you are talking about but you don't. I told this story on here before but I will tell it again. I was 8 years old and we had a 4th of July family thing at a park. There were a lot of us and I drifted off alone to play on one of those exercise stations on the running trail. This particular one was right next to the woods. A blonde haired blue eyed white man asked me was this the place to go jogging and when I turned he covered my mouth and dragged me into the woods. I fought as hard as I could but he was just too strong. When he got me far enough he beat me until I stopped fighting him. He tried to rape me but I had just shit myself. He then told me to count to 200 and started kicking around in the leaves walking away from me like he was looking for something he dropped. I was facedown but I could see him out of the corner of my eye. Something told me to get up and run, and I ran, pantless,  as fast as my little legs could carry me. He chased me for a bit but I was screaming so at some point he turned around. Police came. Put the blanket you see the victims in the movies with around me. I had to go to the police station and look through books and lineups. Needless to say my life was never the same after that. Everyone was affected. Me. My mom for leaving me with my aunt. My aunt for losing track of me.

So statistics say that most assaults are someone that knows you, well it wasn't the case for me. Mine was being in an unsafe place and not watching my surroundings. Just because a majority of cases are people you know doesn't mean a lot of people out there aren't being attacked by strangers. If its one in six but only 15% of those are strangers, that's still 4 million women in the United States getting sexually assaulted. So don't be like my family who probably never thought that something like that would happen only for it to haunt them for the rest of their lives. Take proper precautions before its too late. You don't have to live in fear, but nothing wrong with having respect for the evil that is out there.

End thread jack/

Well, I was molested by a close family friend when I was 7. The mother of my children was raped by by her best friend’s brother while home during college break. I think I do know what I’m talking about.

I’m sorry for your trauma.  I wouldn’t wish sexual assault on my worst enemy. If you want to solely determine where your child goes to ELITE COLLEGE (the point of this thread), based on area crime statistics that’s your decision. But it’s a number, just like the acquaintance rape number. 

Take it over to the other thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

With my oldest being a 9th grader, I haven't been personally aware of how competitive high school rankings are.

She has 6 honors courses and 2 general electives (art & athletics) with a 4.52 GPA (lowest grade is 96 in art).

She didn't even sniff top 10% for academic awards this week.

45 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

With my oldest being a 9th grader, I haven't been personally aware of how competitive high school rankings are.

She has 6 honors courses and 2 general electives (art & athletics) with a 4.52 GPA (lowest grade is 96 in art).

Damn. I was top 10 out of about 300 in my class with a 4.6 GPA. Our valedictorian had a 5.1. She ended up doing community college for a year and then went onto UT Tyler (I guess that counts as the ivy league of east Texas).

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Is she taking honors pe in the summer ?

20 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There can be a razor thin separation between the kids on either side of the top 10%. My daughter had pretty damn good grades her freshman year at McCallum and didn’t make the top 10%. This year I didn't think her grades were all that better, but she made the top 10% (modest humblebrag).