Who are you rooting for in World Cup?

tantric superman

I hate Germany more than any team available, but the Swedes take too much joy out of the game for me to feel to bad for them today.  Hopefully S Korea can pull a miracle out of their ass.

I would love to see Messi win, but that time has past.

Based on the play so far I am rooting for Belgium and Spain.  I will always root for good attacking football over negative.

England -- heritage and my kids are half-English

Senegal and NIgeria -- would love to see the brothas win a WC. 

Mexico -- dude, if you think they are aggy you don't know Scotland fans re: England. 

Generally favor: Belgium, Sweden, Croatia, France, Spain, Portugal, Colombia

Dislike: Russia, Serbia, Argentina, Saudi

Rest are meh. 

After watching at least part of several games now I'm rooting for England and Belgium. Can't wait for that match up too.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much for that game. Will probably be a snoozer, both teams playing not to lose (or, not to win even as the 2nd place matchup might be better than the first).

Numero Uno)

Mexico

I moved from the US to Mexico and I was introduced to this beautiful event in 1978 . Then by 1986 I was back in the US and suffered through what was essentially a frustrating black out until 1994.

Numero Dos)

"La Copa para los Americanos". Brazil or any South American team other than Argentina. I kept telling myself I wanted Argentina to win in Brazil but I was happy the Germans won.

Numero Tres)

Portugal because they have really played hard over the decades and had lots of heartbreak and Ronaldo deserves one for his efforts.

Numero Cuatro)

England or Belgium because they are playing enjoyable football.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mdmost said:

France vs England would be too much fun so it will naturally be Belgium vs. Croatia. 

My friends are having a brunch for the final (not that they watch soccer or that the other couples that they are inviting probably do either), but they are probably going to have some food that is connected to the nations in the final.

Belgium & France have virtually identical brunch food, so that is easy, but I was looking up some of Croatia's cuisine and apparently it isn't all pizza. Once you get away from the coast, you've got that Eastern European shit that you've got to figure out how to make or where to source it.

I'm fairly certain that they are hoping that England reaches the final, though if you showed them the Croatian lineup and the English lineup in plain white t-shirts and said "One of these groups is the England national team, pick the right one and you get a box of PG Tips", I'm fairly certain that they would all select the Croatian squad as the English team.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:35 PM, HenryJames said:

Wish they were playing in the finals rather than the semifinals.

Yup, those have been my two teams all along as well.  Semis will have to do.  This is definitely the exact Final Four I've wanted since about the middle of the group stage.

Don't care who wins as long as it isn't England and as long as Belgium is one of the teams in the finals.

The Red Devils have been the most entertaining side. They're so potent offensively, yet so inept defensively, that all of their matches are thrilling.

For me, England has been pretty much the opposite. Had the Three Lions been on the other side of the bracket, don't think they would've survived the round of 16.

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't care who wins as long as it isn't England and as long as Belgium is one of the teams in the finals.

The Red Devils have been the most entertaining side. They're so potent offensively, yet so inept defensively, that all of their matches are thrilling.

For me, England has been pretty much the opposite. Had the Three Lions been on the other side of the bracket, don't think they would've survived the round of 16.

you do realize colombia is better than japan, right?

Mbappe has been my favorite player this WC with Lukaku a close second. Overall, France is so much fun to watch and if we're gonna have a final with a team having a crest star, i'm going to root for one without one on the other side. Plus, i think besides Belgium, Croatia has been the most dominant team since groups day 1. France-Croatia is my pick, although you really couldn't beat the circus that ENG-FRA would be.

Belgium v Croatia would be my ideal final, ensuring we'd see a new country win it. They've also both been pretty damn good from the word go, even though France is the most talented team. England has overachieved a bit and while I could see them just edging out Croatia, I don't see them winning it all.

Really fun set of semis and it's sure to set up a great final, at least on paper. This has been a helluva tournament. 

Advancing on kicks twice in a row has never been done before so even with the extra rest they have to be mentally and emotionally exhausted.  Sweden just didn't seem interested in attacking the last 20 minutes after Pickford's 3rd big save, and the british announcers on itv or bbc (can't remember) asked themselves around minute 82 "is it just me or do I dare not say that this just seems comfortable and should we not be saying that?"  England's big test was Colombia a week ago.  Croatia has had 2 of equal exertion in the same time.  I don't know how it will translate but I would not bet against England on Wednesday.  Tomorrow, pick your 3-headed-hydra.