2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Click is single-handedly shutting down our championship window by years. His failure to bolster this club with any move to help bring in an extra bat and an extra arm in the Pen and as a SP is pathetic compared to the greatness we were spoiled with in Luhnow. Seeing a Springer Dinger hurt is in our home park has left me cranky and I have been drinking too much in response. Click is the worst GM in this city and I am not some homer who rides Caserio’s or Stone’s jock. I don’t think either of them would be as stupid as Click when it comes to maximizing your championship window. Fuck Click.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Click is single-handedly shutting down our championship window by years. His failure to bolster this club with any move to help bring in an extra bat and an extra arm in the Pen and as a SP is pathetic compared to the greatness we were spoiled with in Luhnow. Seeing a Springer Dinger hurt is in our home park has left me cranky and I have been drinking too much in response. Click is the worst GM in this city and I am not some homer who rides Caserio’s or Stone’s jock. I don’t think either of them would be as stupid as Click when it comes to maximizing your championship window. Fuck Click.

He’s not the worst GM in the city bc we have fools at the other 2 spots, but he’s a massive step down from the guy before him, it seems, at this time. 
that said- we aren’t this bad offensively. This is silly. 

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s not the worst GM in the city bc we have fools at the other 2 spots, but he’s a massive step down from the guy before him, it seems, at this time. 
that said- we aren’t this bad offensively. This is silly. 

How can you call Rafael Stone a fool with the draft he had last year. I hate the Texans. Not been impressed so far with Caserio but his first big test is this week with the draft capital we have. Click inherited 103 win team that should have won the WS the year before  and has been the best team in baseball for years and has not done a damn thing to improve it. He has taken the lazy Tampa Bay way instead of being creative financially to retain at least one of Correa or Springer. Fuck Click.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Macklemore said:

The big decisions, a la Springer and Correa, are probably not up to James Click.

Edited by David Dennison

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

He has taken the lazy Tampa Bay way instead of being creative financially to retain at least one of Correa or Springer. Fuck Click.

I mean…I get the frustration, but this is backwards. The “Tampa Bay way” is necessarily the opposite of “lazy.” Signing high-priced FAs strikes me as more “lazy” than having to dig and find value in overlooked places and managing a good roster opportunistically with a very restrained payroll.

I’m not saying Click is hitting the right buttons, just saying that there are ways to win beyond throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at FAs. Whether he can do that remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Click inherited 103 win team that should have won the WS the year before  and has been the best team in baseball for years and has not done a damn thing to improve it. 

In fairness, there is no improving on the 2019 team. That is the best team in franchise history, probably will be the best team we’ll ever have, and it would be virtually impossible to improve upon it without doubling the luxury tax threshold. That’s why that WS stung so badly.

Anyway, this team is in a funk because nobody is hitting. That won’t last. I still think the team is a little worse than last year, but I think that has more to do with the rotation probably not being quite as good as the results indicated last year, Altuve and Yuli being another year older, and Pressley having whatever issues he’s having. Losing Correa hurts, sure, but Pena has outperformed him dramatically so far, meaning that the results so far could conceivably be worse with Correa.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The big decisions, a la Springer and Correa, are probably not up to James Click.

Right, Click taking the lazy Tampa route instead of selling Crane on keeping one of these guys and getting creative financially. I hate his stand pat mindset. From what I can tell he would have never made winning moves like trading for Verlander or Cole like the GOAT.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Sure. But I don’t think he had any interest in advocating for anything being done to keep those guys. 
I don’t exactly envision him as going all Dave on the budget trying to balance it and show crane a way forward. 
I don’t think he had any interest in keeping those guys. They aren’t spare middle relievers which is his fetish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean…I get the frustration, but this is backwards. The “Tampa Bay way” is necessarily the opposite of “lazy.” Signing high-priced FAs strikes me as more “lazy” than having to dig and find value in overlooked places and managing a good roster opportunistically with a very restrained payroll.

I’m not saying Click is hitting the right buttons, just saying that there are ways to win beyond throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at FAs. Whether he can do that remains to be seen.

In fairness, there is no improving on the 2019 team. That is the best team in franchise history, probably will be the best team we’ll ever have, and it would be virtually impossible to improve upon it without doubling the luxury tax threshold. That’s why that WS stung so badly.

Anyway, this team is in a funk because nobody is hitting. That won’t last. I still think the team is a little worse than last year, but I think that has more to do with the rotation probably not being quite as good as the results indicated last year, Altuve and Yuli being another year older, and Pressley having whatever issues he’s having. Losing Correa hurts, sure, but Pena has outperformed him dramatically so far, meaning that the results so far could conceivably be worse with Correa.

We didn’t try to be great and don’t appear to ever want to do that again. Maybe it’s rational in baseball since playoff baseball is such a crapshoot, but it hurts as a fan. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. But I don’t think he had any interest in advocating for anything being done to keep those guys. 
I don’t exactly envision him as going all Dave on the budget trying to balance it and show crane a way forward. 
I don’t think he had any interest in keeping those guys. They aren’t spare middle relievers which is his fetish. 

Jim Crane's five year limit isn't doing James Click (or any GM for that matter) any favors when it comes to retaining players who reach free agency.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We didn’t try to be great and don’t appear to ever want to do that again. Maybe it’s rational in baseball since playoff baseball is such a crapshoot, but it hurts as a fan. 

Yup, and that’s exactly what the owners want. More playoff teams = reduced incentive to construct great teams; good teams should be good enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Exactly. That’s what I mean by being Tampa Bay lazy. The GOAT made moves prior to trade deadline to bolster this team’s chances. He traded for Cole AFTER winning the WS. Click doesn’t have the winner mindset of Luhnow. The GOAT would have gotten either Correa or Springer to stick around.

Just now, Macklemore said:

Exactly. That’s what I mean by being Tampa Bay lazy. The GOAT made moves prior to trade deadline to bolster this team’s chances. He traded for Cole AFTER winning the WS. Click doesn’t have the winner mindset of Luhnow. The GOAT would have gotten either Correa or Springer to stick around.

Only if they agreed to five year deals. 

30 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

From what I can tell he would have never made winning moves like trading for Verlander or Cole like the GOAT.

To be faiiirrrr… Click didn’t really have the farm pieces or excess proven MLB talent (Joe Musgrove) to make big moves like that.  

34 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Also, are we prepared to blame the GOAT for letting CFM and Cole get away?

He thought he was upgrading with Greinke from CFM and he built one of the greatest 10 teams of my lifetime the years after CFM left so yeah- he 100% gets a pass for letting him get away. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Only if they agreed to five year deals. 

Is it so happened correa was open to a 1 year deal while Springer signed for only 150, so… yeah- they were affordable. 
Correa could have stayed for the year and we could have broken Peña in with no issues at all and had insurance for Altuve or Yuli getting hurt or declining. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is it so happened correa was open to a 1 year deal while Springer signed for only 150, so… yeah- they were affordable. 
Correa could have stayed for the year and we could have broken Peña in with no issues at all and had insurance for Altuve or Yuli getting hurt or declining. 

If George would have signed a five year deal, he'd be an Astro.

18 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Lulz no

So after bro scores on a solo homer Yuli answers with a run of his own.

I'm a lip reader, and during the pitching change La Pina was singing towards left field:

Oh, Lourdes, it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror
'Cause I get better lookin' each day

To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
Oh, Lourdes, it's hard to be humble
But I'm doin' the best that I can

3 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

God damn it. Going to get swept at home. This should be a wake up call to Crane that Click has us on the road to mediocrity. Clean house fire Dusty and Click now.

Yep.  A series of one run losses against one of the best teams in the league is a clear signal to blow it all up.  

• Haha 2

Anyone been having trouble with mlb66.ir on apple devices lately?  Tried to stream the games this weekend on my phone connected to a tv and the broadcast kept freezing.  Still seems fine on my laptop, but we tried it on multiple phones and a friend had the same issue last week on an ipad.

Edited by kevwun